Follow
Read More
Anyone have a recipe for ebelskivers?
(0)

I've cycled back to the first post on this thread, Feb 5, and made green chili stew in the crock pot. When I find a new recipe we like I try to repeat it within a few weeks, to help ensure it gets into the menu repertoire. Put bacon into my corn meal muffins this time.
(1)

Sauteed scallops, mushrooms and brussel sprouts. The sprouts are not the ideal veg with scallops but it was fast and easy and OK. Saving the choc cake till G returns home. With the ground up orange and raisins it stays moist and the flavour develops,
(2)

Made fresh cheddar and bacon burgers on the grill tonight with an extra slice of sharp cheddar melted on top. Lots of sliced white onion and fresh jalapenos served on a buttered and toasted bun. We had a big salad of greens on the side. It sure hit the spot. Was going to snooze after watching Bates Motel (the TV series) but am screwed up with the time change. It just doesn't feel right going to bed that early.....
(2)

lastresort, I remember picking wild asparagus in the ditch off dirt roads in South Dakota. My dad discovered it out on his run one morning. The people in the new housing development bordering the road wondered what the heck we were picking. That's a fond memory of mine. Thanks for 'jogging' it up for me. :) Asparagus just tastes like spring!
(2)

DINNER ?
im thinking that gal who inspected ednas used chair before we brought it in this evening.
he he, gimmee a break, im a warpy guy..
(1)

i helped a customer cut her lawn once and mowed down her snap peas. i wouldnt know a snap pea from a plywood tree..
(2)

Dad grows asparagus, do have to wait 2 years to harvest, but its perennial then. We used to have some that grew wild in the fence rows at my grandads farm in north Oklahoma, had to hunt for it but it was good if rather smaller than the commercial ( no one to weed, feed and pamper it). I got to go hunt it out in the spring like I did the Poke and Lambsquarter for mom to cook into greens...
(1)

I tried to grow asparagus once. It takes a few years in this part of the country to get going. Or, I really did something wrong! Sold that house and moved before there was any sort of crop. Maybe next owner was able to enjoy it if they didn't pull it out thinking it was a weed
(1)

Meijer had fresh asparagus for a good price yesterday, so I sauteed my bunch for dinner this evening. That was the main course, with a bit of left over lasagna casserole as a side. Sure am glad that I discovered (as an adult) that asparagus was more than that awful canned mushy stuff I refused to eat as a child! Maybe I should plant some. Anyone growing asparagus?
(2)

Mmmmm...chicken livers... YUM! :D

Meh, I don't know what I'm doing for dinner. I'm not in the least bit hungry atm and it's 7 p.m. I had a sandwich earlier and don't really want anything or feel like cooking tonight. My boys are on their own. lol They both know how to cook. I'll probably just do a small salad later on.
(1)

meh, im having chicken livers. i like em..
(1)

ya like them blindass cave catfish emjo. i have pretty good luck catching them. i put a rock in a tubesock, bap!!.. theyre blind remember?
(1)

Have a great time!!! Room service is a good idea. Sounds like you will do OK.
(0)

Lessee .. this is what I'm taking with:

Two cans of soup that I an tolerate cold (tomato and something else my tired brain can't think of)
A nice fresh fruit cocktail (basically pre-cut chunks, yum) and bananas
Some lovely mexican pastries
cold cuts and premixed salady stuff for sandwiches
Imitation crab meat (yeah .. bad for me, but I love it)
Snacks (because I'm also a hedonist)
Hummus and veggie crackers

They don't serve breakfast at this place, but I'll order one room service that'll give me leftovers. Headin' out in a few hours. Yay!!
(2)

Love sardines, cap. My Norwegian heritage. They are great nutritional value for a few bucks. I am a herring eater. Love picked herring! I pickled some northern pike Gary caught - pretty tasty.
(1)

someone besides myself likes sardines? emjo, the older dollar stores sell a can of sardines the size of a saucer for a couple of bucks.. big azz can iz what im sayin..
(2)

ladeec I am allergic to dairy and gluten. It makes life challenging. I will be interested to know what you come up with. I bring those little cans of tune, sardines, fruit bars, fruit, nuts, cookies/crackers, even veggies. Most hotels have a minifrig. I have a decent breakfast in the hotel, take some fruit and peanut butter from the breakfast buffet - that does for lunch, then the other stuff for supper. I find a grocery store nearby. Good luck!
(2)

Had a treat from Edna's family members who took her out to lunch at Red Lobster: garlic skewered shrimp and scampi style scallops with really good steamed broccoli, served on wild/herb pilaf. I just love their cheesy biscuits, but can only tolerate one (otherwise too salty for my own good, and cheese is off my can-do lists, as with most dairy products. Being allergic to whey is a royal pain, I gotta tell ya).

Yum. And tomorrow I start my four day holiday in a hotel room with no means of cooking anything. It'll be interesting to see what I come up with that 1) doesn't need refrigeration or some kind of cooking.
(2)

It was my parents 61st anniversay yesterday, but I had to work. So tonight we had steak, potatoes and roasted asparagus.. lots of love here!
(3)

norest - that sounds good!!! Unfortunately G does not tolerate caffeine. Maybe instant decaf?
(1)

Emjo, my friend taught me to use a little powdered expresso or one of those starbucks instant coffee (single serve) packs in anything you bake chocolate like brownies or choc, cake. It really brings out the chocolate flavor.
(3)

i made twice as many chicken livers as i would eat and like clockwork jake came by and wacked the extras for me.
(1)

Made crazy choc cake. G was called away to an obligatory meeting on his way out the door to the horses. Figured he could use a treat when he returns to pick up his horse gear . A regular wacky-type cake - no eggs - but I blended several mandarins (didn't have oranges though I prefer them - more intense flavour) and some raisins, and added spices. It was a little heavy on the ground cloves as the lid fell off the bottle but it worked. I don't measure the spices just dump some in. You have to add some pepper and cayenne as well which leaves it with a little heat. Then I made a fluffy cinnamon chocolate frosting to go with it. I will serve it with some sliced strawberries. He can add ice cream or whipped cream if he wants to - may as well splurge!
(3)

Try just soaking them in water - the longer they soak the more "heat" comes out -10 to 15 mins. works fine for me. Love Greek salad, but can't eat the feta. Did he use black olives too? Add English cukes and black olives! Yum!
(1)

With regard to making onions milder, for use in salads…

I would like a little more input from anyone who knows how to do this, if you care to share. See, my Greek grandfather used to make this tomato, feta, and onion salad. I loved it, even as a kid. But I could never get my onions - he used just basic white or yellow onions - to be soft and mild like he did. He told me to sprinkle salt over them and let them sit for awhile. The salt would draw out the heat. Then rinse and use for the salad. I've tried. I end up with really salty (not edible) onions and they're still hot. So what am I doing wrong? And really, emjo, just soaking in water will take out some of the heat, too?

I'd like to be able to make the old Greek salad like he used to.
(0)

Emjo .. ooh .. nice tip on the onions! Thanks.
(1)

Brining the pork chops worked well. I will do it from now on even with the apple and raisin dish. They were very tender and browned very nicely. We love fruit and nuts in salads - apple and walnuts or pineapple with shredded cabbage, berries and pecans with lettuce, orange, onion and romaine salad. One trick I find useful if I don't have mild onions on hand for salad, is cut up what I want from a regular onion and soak it in water for about 15 mins - makes it much milder.
(2)

ive asked the moderators to fix that hassle. their silence on the issue didnt sound very promising.
(0)

Moderator: could you please remove the "show most helpful" option from this thread. It is just an ongoing off-topic discussion and there really are no "helpful" or "unhelpful" answers. It would save us all an extra step in going to the end of the thread!

Thanks.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter