Follow
Read More
well ive started a s**tstorm with S - A and im going to work. you fire and then take cover. basic military stuff..
(0)

Speaking of.... I make this wonderful, easy veggie dish sometimes. You take raw broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, put them in a small baking dish. Top the veggies with american cheese. Mix some cream of mushroom/or whatever you like soup, with about half can milk. Pour it over the veggies. Top with crispy fried onions. Bake about half hour to 45 minutes. Delicious! In fact, now that I'm thinking about how good that really is, that's what I'll fix for dinner tonight!

And I loves me some sausage. I did some sausage and cheese stuffed jalapeno's once. Delicious. :) Just don't attempt to get the seeds out of them with your bare hands. Ouch! That jalapeno oil will burn like a fire that can't be put out. Lesson learned. lol
(1)

broccolii d**nt. it had broccoli, caulif, carrot mix in there. and of course potato and onion. and wheres my dam red pepper? sour cream base with a flour thickener. i made mom a large pot of this stuff each week for years. there was a degree of pressure involved.
she liked sausage - cheese bread in loaf style. id slice it and shed make french toast with it. i didnt eat any of that crap. i ate choc ice cream out of the gallon bucket. i have discriminating tastes too..
(0)

Captain, you make me lol.

Fried veggies are always good to me. :) And ranch is pretty much good on everything!

I used to make this shrimp chowder for my mom all the time. It had half and half in it, onions, potatoes, shrimp...I don't remember what else. I took a basic recipe and modified it some and it turned out really well, a little hot and spicy. My mom had me making that soup once a week for awhile. Maybe I'll have to try and make it again soon. :)

Tonight for dinner...I don't know. Maybe something simple. Like bacon and eggs with chives and cheese. Some fresh made bread sounds good...
(0)

lol.
my mom was spoiled on chowder style soups based in sour cream. one time a customer sent me home with a pint jar of homemade split pea " soup " for mom. jake and i laughed uproariously at the briny swill all the way home. i handed it to mom , still in the jar. she tasted a sip and straight armed it right back to me. thats what i thought. briny swill..
(0)

d**n S - A .
the cheddar, cauliflower fritters with ranch sound like a fine ambrosia wine. i believe ambrosia just means the essence of everything good. my family usedta do a lot of dumpster diving to feed a couple of pigs. once we found two 60 lb cases of giant prawn. i know, tainted seafood can be dangerous thats why we ate em before they became tainted. i made shrimp chowder for weeks but the boys preferred the shrimp deep fried in fritter batter. good fritter batter requires a stale beer. its the rising agent. im practicing sober-ishness right now but there are still a couple of flat beers in the fridge. habit i guess..
(0)

Jeanne~BBQ for us in California is grilling. I season the steaks with only salt and pepper, LOL!!! Now if I make pork ribs, I will slow cook them in the broiler (my broiler/oven has 2 levels...high or low), then I will smoother the ribs in BBQ sauce during the last phase. When we BBQ, we use charcoal briquettes. You are right...my fil is from Georgia, BBQ for them is what you are saying...everything is covered in a BBQ sauce. I personally don't like BBQ sauces on anything that is beef, it tastes funny to me...but I do love it on ribs and chicken. If we BBQ chicken breast, I first bake it for 30 minutes in the oven, then we put them on the grill with BBQ sauce...it comes out more tender and moist that way.
(2)

sharynmarie, what does BBQ mean in your part of the country? Around here it means slathered with a sweet and/or hot thick sauce, often in the final stage of cooking. That isn't what I'd do with porterhouse! :-D I'd just season it and put it on the grill. But the world would be boring if we all had the same tastes. I know that BBQ seems to mean different things in different places so I'm trying to picture your meal.
(1)

Kazza~You are more than welcome to joy us for dinner.
(0)

Sharynmarie! I am coming to your house for dinner! Am hungry again now after reading your post!
(1)

i have my own Irish celebration that is not Americanized. Enjoy the day and May the blessings of this day bring you and yours all that the is necessary for peace of mind.
(0)

I'm not sure about tonight's dinner. I do have a loaf of homemade caramel apple bread in the oven! It's only been in a couple minutes, but in about half hour my whole house is going to smell delicious! A slice of that with a hot cup of tea sounds like a plan right now!

I bought a cauliflower and I think tomorrow I'm going to do battered and fried cheddar cauliflower fritters with ranch dressing. YUM! My boys don't like cauliflower, thank God! More for me! :)
(0)

Happy St. Patricks Day to All, Hope youre eating something nice (any excuse) LOL
(1)

Roast Lamb, roast potatoes, curly kale with cream and mint sauce. And Trifle for pudding!!!! Oh and got a box of chocs as im depressed!!! Roll on Easter?? LOL
(2)

Corned beef and cabbage.. Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
(4)

Sorry! I made a typo for what's contained in seaweeds. The seaweeds are supposed to have lots of minerals and calcium, instead of lost of minerals.
(0)

I made multi-grain rice with pickle plum, cooked mackerel and ginger with ground white radish, and cooked white radish with dried shrimp, seaweed, and bean card. My husband who does not know anything about Japanese home cooking loved them all. I’ve read some home remedy book, and found that white radish is good for high blood pressure, and ginger for edema. Also, seaweeds have lost of minerals and calcium. I do not know what it said is true or not. At least, I feel good because my husband and I are eating good foods.
(2)

Peanut butter and jelly, for mom with a side of Haldol. This hospital stay has been unbelievable, worse than the one six months.
(1)

Tonight, we are having BBQed porterhouse steaks and a cucumber tomato salad with artichoke hearts and feta cheese. Plus I made a chicken salad with celery, onion, parsley, and vegetarian mayo that tastes just like Best Foods or Hellmens but much healthier...don't forget the black pepper. The chicken salad is great for sandwiches or my favorite...put it on a tostada with salsa and jalapenos, tomatoes and cheese if you like, yummy!!
(1)

kidding stegman, you sound like a very talented cook.
ebelskivers tho? makes me keep my meat cleaver just a little closer to my person.. i thought kaiser bill killed off all them s**ts..
(1)

bout 30 years ago my ex and i found a bag of groceries outside a kroger that had been left behind by someone. we gave it a fair amount of time, then liberated them. in the contents was a three pack of baking yeast. man that started some s**t, lol. never been out of yeast since. if you want additional yeast odor and flavoring in your bread you spike it with brewers yeast.
incredibly enough, it doesnt even require yeast to fire off a batch of wine -- only a couple slices of white bread..
i dont stay on subject very well stegman. you lost me at artichoke. that sounds almost as vile as an ebelskiver.. brrrrr.
(1)

Captain that reminds me of cardones (burdock). You clean them and strip the strings, parboil in salt water, then dip in flour, dip in egg, dip in seasoned bread crumbs and fry in a light olive oil. Tastes like a really good artichoke.
(1)

fried green beans remind me of roux. ( sp ) . they shift into another flavor when fried. more like the flavor of bell pepper.
roux, is just flour and water if im remembering correctly but when scorched become a mainstay in cajun flavoring.
i can give a chinese cook a fair hassle too. sweet / sour, freakin grape jelly and white vineagar. so dam simple. now wheres my crushed red pepper? lol
(1)

wordy that sounds good - must remember the pecan crusted chicken

cap not so sure about the blackened green beans. There is nothing like a fresh green bean cooked tender but still firm.

Last night mesquite marinated oven baked chicken legs (seem to be popular here - I got 2 pkts for price of one), roasted acorn squash with butter, a little maple syrup and lashings of cinnamon, and the ubiquitous brussel sprouts.

Hmm - the Ubiquitous Sprout. Sounds like the name of a trendy restaurant with great home cooking, if that is not an oxymoron.
(1)

hmmm. this hoosier fries green beans at high temp till theyre nearly blackened.
speaking of booze, jeanne, im reminded that my esterhazy steak usedta require some wine in the veg topping, wasnt good at all without it.
oh i like to talk about booze too. i once bottled up about 18 bottles of cantaloupe wine . it tasted horrible every time i tried some and one day i went to pour it all out to use the bottles for a better batch and wouldnt ya know it, it had microfermented in the bottles and was downright delicious.. the cantaloupe stayed in the cellar and the new batch went thru the pressure canner. 5 gallon of wine reduces to about 1/2 gallon of 151 proof liquid panty remover..
(1)

New recipe tonight: Pecan-crusted chicken. Marinated in white wine, glazed with marmalade and maple syrup and rolled in ground pecans (just a bit of flour to coat). Tasty and tender. Accompaniments were green beans (not mushy Hoosier style, tho those are good) and sweet potato. Dinner guest and I give it 4 stars. Nice to enjoy cooking something new!
(2)

Good marinade for chicken or turkey

I plan meals a week or so out, and I take suggestions from my boarders (whether they want to suggest or not!) I handed my family recipe book to Barb and asked her to pick something we haven't had lately. She picked Turkey Fajitas. That is one of my sons' all time favorites, and one of the few they both like. It is also suitable for my vegetarian daughter-in-law. So I invited them over and made it last night.

This doesn't seem to be the right season to find fresh turkey so I used chicken. I think the real claim to fame of this dish is that the marinade uses beer, and I started making it when my sons were teens. :-D

In the past I've always sauteed the paper strips and onions but this time I tossed them in oil and roasted them in the oven -- much simpler than keep track of several things on the stove top.

Here is the marinade recipe. I've always used it for fajitas, but I'll bet it would be good for grilled chicken breast sandwiches, or other ways of using chicken/turkey. For fajitas, cut the poultry into thin strips.

1 package "au jus" mix
12 ounces beer
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Tablespoons lime juice

Mix all ingredients except the lime juice in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Add the lime juice. Cool slightly by refrigerating while you prepare the other ingredients. (You don't want the poultry to start cooking in very hot marinade.)

Place the poultry in the cooled marinade for 15 to 30 minutes. Drain. Cook the poultry as desired.

This is plenty of marinade for a whole turkey breast or about 6 pounds of chicken. Don't worry about having too much -- you just drain it off when the marinading time is up.
(2)

Oh my goodness, pstegman, I want to eat at your house tonight!!

Although my dinner is fine. I made a huge pot of cabbage soup, with ground beef, rice, carrots, celery, onions, etc. Eating it with pumpernickel bread, strawberries, and kiwi. (A meal of cabbage soup requires some thing with bright colors!)

All the asparagus in markets here now is from South America. I prefer to keep the shipping profile a little more local. But if I waited to get it when Michigan ships I'd probably only have it 3 or 4 meals a year. And by the time our local farmers' market opens the asparagus season is over. We are planting some this year. That would be local enough! :)
(1)

I made a meatloaf with a pound of Elk and a pound of hot Italian sausage squeezed out of the casings. I added an egg, a little cooled broth, about a cup of seasoned bread crumbs and let it bake. Served with mashed potatoes and asparagus sautéed in butter n lemon. Strawberry Rhubarb pie for dessert.
(2)

Dear Jeanne, I will look into it. Cap'n, I made beef stew with matzah balls and am working on some chicken soup for my SIL who has 103.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter