Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
roflmao @ Pstegman and Cap .. such great analogies!

I'm so very aware of the risks of eating poorly. I just ignore the rules sometimes and accept the consequences. Eating habits: people keep yammering at me that I must have breakfast, and the earlier the better. That oh, so, doesn't work for me. If I have anything to eat within the first 8 hours of waking, all I want to do is eat ALL day, and never feel satisfied. At that point, I typically have a small 'lunch' (like half a sandwich), and supper is about 4 hours before I go to bed, again. And my portion size is probably half of a typical meal served in a restaurant.

I think I mentioned it somewhere .. one of my fave meals is a baked potato with a veggie bin salad (made of whatever's in there) with my favorite dressing (I dip rather than pour it on, that way it's the first flavor I taste and uses less than a 1/3 of a normal dressing helping). Yum. Know what I'm having for supper tonight!
(1)

I've been running too rich for a long time and needed a new connecting rod (knee) so I could at least get out of Park. I've been married 42 years, so that puts my odometer at about 840,000 miles. My husband threatened to trade me in, but my blue book value is zilch, I can't pass an emissions test and my transmission has no bottom end at all. Not to mention my bumpers are sagging and the headlights are all fogged up.
(5)

if you run too rich your going to foul plugs, build carbon deposits atop your pistons and valve stems. a valve will eventually stick in the open position and strike a piston. the broken piston will lock up and youll stick a connecting rod thru the side of your block.. happens all the time. i think humans will be direct fuel injection in the distant future. too many stuck needle valves.. ( overeating )
(1)

if you ever wonder what our food consists of just look around your immediate location. you see corn , soy beens, trees and water. underfoot is petroleum. the terminology has changed but in the past if something contained cellulose you were eating young saplings from clear cut forests. the food is grown on dead soil with the petroleum based fertilizer installed as needed. were eating freaking oil..
i drove past 4 teen girls yesterday who looked like sacks of potatos with limbs attached. wth? if were to become less physically active, perhaps our diets should change to compensate. i eat one meal a day and have for years -- dinner. my theory is, if exess fat in the bloodstream is causing us health problems i want to lean it out every day. in only a little while the body adjusts and there is no such thing as a hunger pang. most nights i only eat because i know that i should.. not trying to be judgemental or sound superior. im sharing this for the people who would like to trim up a bit but arent having much luck.
we are used to eating a big dinner then sleeping, not much fuel burned during sleeping. then we eat a hearty breakfast. WHY ? is what im asking..
energy for working? nah. not buying it. i work like a borrowed mule..
(1)

omg .. I'm caving. Headed for MickyD's.
(2)

yea jeanne. spoiled on the whole wheat bread.
im reaching for the stars tonight. boiling some chicken gizzards to get em tender , then ill fry em..
s-a, i used to make " potato " donuts into a braided form. had apple bits in them. not much different from a big cinnamon roll but the braided form has more surface areas for glaze.
no one to cook for anymore so chicken organs are fine with me. they should serve me well with hepc tx and anemia looming..
(1)

Cap you would no doubt make your own yeast crust, but we like the convenience of starting with a deli pizza. We sure do it well!

Tonight was another semi-homemade main course. Have you used the fairly new pouches of sauce? It is sort of like pouring cream of mushroom soup over something, but more sophisticated (and expensive). Tonight we had Cambell's Marsala sauce over chicken. Very fast and pretty tasty. We also had a what's-in-the-fridge salad consisting of shredded lettuce, dates, almonds, celery, a few cauliflower and broccoli pieces, and avocado slices with a lemon caper dressing leftover earlier in the week.

I like making my own sauces, but sometimes a shortcut is welcome.

SA, this is the first year in a long time I didn't do at least one corned beef brisket in March. Glad you enjoyed yours!
(0)

that pizza sounds like serious business jeanne. the best store bought dont come close imo..
(0)

Last night I did a slow cooked corned beef, some mac and cheese and yeast rolls. YUM! After almost 6 hours of slow cooking, that roast fell apart and was so juicy! I ate a little, but my boys devoured it.

Since I've gotten older, the less and less l like eating red meat. I do like it, have no problems with it, but for some weird reason I'm just turning off of it more and more, especially these last 3-4 years.

No idea what I'm doing tonight. Probably nothing. My boys can have leftovers.
(1)

Last night was pizza. Son requested it and he's the one who prepares it. Start with the huge 5-cheese fresh pizza from Costco. Brush off most of the cheese. Slather on pesto (homemade this time), Canadian bacon (or cooked chicken), lots of fresh mushrooms, sweet pepper slices, chopped tomato, olives if you have some on hand, pineapple if you like it, pile the cheese back on, and add a little more cheese if you are in the mood. Oh my goodness! This is awesome pizza!

Son is away tonight so I made pork tenderloin which Daughter and I like, and Son does not. Used onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, and smoked paprika as a dry rub, sliced, and cooked in cast iron skillet on top of the stove, while brussel sprouts and butternut squash cubes roasted in the oven. Daughter asked if I used honey on the squash. Nope, just olive oil with a little allspice and cinnamon. They were nice and sweet!
(4)

Cap'n add some yeast to that crock and wait a month. You'll have wine. Oh and add more sugar once a week for a higher proof. Bottle it and save it for after your last treatment. That should be around Flag Day.
(0)

im not creepy. everyone else is just wild eyed and idealistic.
lets leave people who think within the box in there. society will be safer..
(0)

Cap .. your comments always lead to very odd visuals...... 0.o .... Picture it: alley, a match hovering over ........... oh, well .. you get the idea.
(0)

emjo,
" cranberry orange relish" . it looks delightful , toss it in the crock. raisins, in the crock. ditto apples, grapes, melons, strawberries, honey, peaches, shelled corn, plums, pears, etc.
(0)

* sigh *
i cant be drinking booze -- hepc -- gotta behave.. ive taken up peeing in alleys and playing with matches -- not a happy camper.
(1)

I just had the oddest image of ligonberries chasing a waddling ebelskiver ..

Who's got the tequila?
(0)

ligonberries.
ebelskivers like ligonberries..
(0)

Tonight was leftovers, not very interesting or tasty but it filled the gut!
(0)

So Captain what kind of bait do you use for catching ebelskivers?
(1)

roast turkey, stuffing, sprouts, sautéed mushrooms, baked tomatoes, cranberry orange relish
(5)

Cap'n, don't forget the Lingonberries
(2)

im having ebelskivers. there were three of em in the mouse traps this morning.
(1)

Tonight's dinner roasted in a hot oven for 15 minutes.:
Hake seasoning with olive oil, fresh marjoram, mint, cayenne pepper, topped with thinly sliced tomatoes
Asparagus tossed in olive oil and lemon zest
Sweet potato slices tossed in olive oil, maple syrup, with a little ground cloves

And pickled beets and radishes passed (separately) at the table.

I love it when things can all cook together for the same length of time.

I've never prepared hake before. We all liked it.

sharynmarie, my favorite way to cook brussel sprouts is to roast them until they start caramelizing. No parboiling needed. I love them tossed in a kalbi sauce before roasting. Oh my!
(2)

Those brussel sprouts are also good with a little preserved lemon chopped-up along with the bacon.
(2)

Omb the recipes on here sound so yummy! Bonichok...pork roast yummy girl you rock!

I make a pork tenderloin with salt, pepper, fennel seed, celery seed, and minced garlic. Broil it. It is great with a green salad and Brussels sprouts. The Brussels sprouts are first boiled until fender crisp,then I saute them in olive oil and a little buter and minced garlic to caramelize the outer leaves. If cholesterol is not an issue for you, fry some bacon and crumble it in with the Brussels sprouts.
(2)

That casserole sounds great. Thanks, standingalone.
(0)

Boni, that sounds really good! I wish I could be there. :)

I ended up making a beef and cheese casserole tonight. It takes just like a lasagna. I substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese. I also use angus beef. This is so gooey and comforting. YUM!

Beef and Cheddar Casserole:

Ingredients
1-1/4 pound Ground Chuck
1 can 15-ounces Tomato Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
8 ounces, weight Egg Noodles
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1-1/4 cup Small Curd Cottage Cheese (or ricotta)
1/2 cup Sliced Green Onions (less To Taste) (or more)
1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add tomato sauce. 1/2 teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.

Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Add to noodles and stir. Add green onions and stir.

To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, then sprinkle on half the grated cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat, then a final layer of cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.

Some french bread is good with this.
(3)

Ps. I LOVE this thread! I started it on a whim and we are up to 427 posts! It is so nice to have normal conversation!!! I haven't had a beer (yet), but I'm still gonna say.....I LOVE you guys!!!
(2)

Well after a week of eating out and taking in for both me (on vacay) and Mom (sister won't cook)....tonight the brothers are coming for dinner, and to pick up their souvenirs. I've got a 9 lb pork roast slow cooking in the oven, with garlic roasted red potatoes, Sauerkraut that will be browned with the pork grease/juice, apple sauce, and fresh green beans. So glad they are coming, I missed them like crazy!
(3)

grated zucchini with onion, bread crumbs and egg, make into patties and fry....very good.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter