Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
dinner isnt happening yet. my helper and i have been building and installing our new commercial grade trk bed today.lot of work left to do, spring mount rebuilding, added leaf springs, lotsa painting frame, new led lighting but this bed is sweet. i need to hurl granite stones from 15 feet away and this bed will take it.
(2)

Salad, leftover cold chicken, avocado and tomotoes.!
(4)

lol. i had a cuz by the same name. he was a very bipolar and sometimes comical person. he usedta make the claim that he was hungry enought to eat the azz out of a menstruating skunk. lol. thats pretty hungry..
(2)

alison is such a doll. im kiddin alison. your pic is sweet. it just smacks of giving and loving.. imo its a special person who gives their own happiness for another elder disadvantaged person.. you win in the end. your a badass and you know it..
(1)

chicken livaars. im on the hcv tx and there are no side effects except possibly anemia. we aint goin that s**t.
(1)

Ice Cream! Boni, no-no, you mustn't say that word. I've been craving it for weeks now but so far have been holding out. I've read all of your dinner menus for the past few weeks. Sounded delicious but not enough to ignite my craving. I read your words in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS "CHOCOLATE...ICE CREAM!!!" sigh.... You are loosening my resolve to NOT buy ice cream. I only eat Dreyers and it's like $9 per box. I need to eat 2 boxes before my cravings are satisfied. And that's not sharing with anyone. That and the yogurt from Yogurtland ($5-some for almost a bit over the halfway mark of the cup.) So far, the oatmeal in maple and brown sugar with lots of walnuts/almonds have been satisfying my midnight snacking. Ice cream sounds so much more delicious, though.
(3)

Lamb chops, baked potatoes green bean and CHOCOLATE MARSH MELLOW ICE CREAM!
(3)

Just ordered round table,
(1)

I made just plain old beef stew/
(3)

I finally broke down and started up with juicing again. Not trying to diet (although it works wonders in that area, too) but just need the immune system boost. So: cucumber, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, apple, carrot juice with some oil of oregano and grapefruit seed oil (last two are supposed to help rid one's system of mold) added to the juice. Bottoms up!
(2)

I had pita pizza tonight...take pita bread and put it on a cookie sheet. Then spread it with your favorite jarred pizza sauce and top it with shredded mozzarella cheese. Put it in a 425 degree f. oven for 10 to 13 minutes until cheese is melted. You can add any toppings you like. Experiment! I like to use leftover chopped and cooked chicken, mushrooms (fresh or canned) and even chopped yellow squash.
(0)

I Love Fried Green Tomatoes!!! Can only get them here from farmers, used to get them in the grocery store...such a shame but not so popular or heard of here in Cali.
(0)

paste = baste
(0)

Twice baked BBQ chicken: chicken pieces, ~with the skins~ layered in a shallow bake pan (or wrapped up with foil to catch all the juices), a teaspoon of your favorite BBQ sauce dumped atop each one, cover, roast in the oven at 325F for something like an hour (depends on the number of pieces .. a fork can easily turn the baked meat from the bone). Pour off the juices into a bowl or pan, pour off the fat and keep about half of the remaining liquid, add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce per piece of chicken and thoroughly mix; remove the skins from the chicken; place under the broiler, but set the temp at around 400F, while you fix the rest of your meal (I had baked potatoes and a salad), and paste every few minutes, turning the chicken as needed (I usually do this part for about 30-45 minutes depending how much I'm making). Chicken is tender, still juicy and YUMMY.

Something someone said triggered the wayback machine: who knows a good recipe for fried green tomatoes (assuming I can FIND green tomatoes)?
(2)

Boni, Turkish take-out sounds so wonderful. I love the spices. My husband picked up spicy green curry for me last night to help clear my stuffed-up head. I don't know how you went to the dentist with a cold. If I had to breathe through my nose right now I'd suffocate or the dentist would be so grossed out he'd run away in horror. :) Hope you're feeling better!

Well, another 6 to 8 inches of the white stuff is falling here, so I decided on big time comfort food. Made a jambalaya style sauce with celery, onions, green peppers, canned fire roasted tomatoes and spicy sausage. Spiced it up further with smoked Spanish paprika and Frank's Red Hot. I let it simmer for a couple of hours, then sliced up some pre-made polenta (basically cornmeal mush) and fried it in olive oil and butter until crispy. Put the polenta in a big bowl and topped it with the sauce and fresh parmesan and parsley. Did I mention, I ignored the snow coming down? Hee. Until morning that is.
(3)

Brothers brought in Turkish Take-out tonight.YUM! Just finished the last of the baklava. I think it was full of Triptophan. Nighty night!
(3)

Sometimes I take a thawed loaf of bread dough, roll it out, put sandwich fillings in the middle, cut the outer edges and braid them over the top, sprinkle with seeds and bake it. Tonight I used up some really good ham leftover from my tea party on Sunday, and also used dijon mustard, a great artichoke-jalapeno spread, and sharp cheddar in the filling. It was awesome! Along with it we had French green beans cooked al dente, with lemon/butter/dijon sauce.

The baked-in-filling sandwiches are good hot or cold.
(1)

Theres a 90 yr old man on ednas third floor who told me today that he served in ww11 at the battle of the bulge. just freaking wow. the battle of the bulge took place in the worst winter in recorded european history and was the only real battle the allies engaged in. most of the invasion into germany was conducted over smoking corridors that the air force had bombed into oblivion. the bulge battle was hitlers final stand with every piece of equiptment he could muster from as far away as the russian front. the allied forces were resting and recuperating in these forests and didnt have a clue that they were being surrounded by cranked out nazis and tiger tanks..
the old guy is either a war hero of biblical proportion or a lying sack of crap who never left the mail room at ft dix NJ . lol
(3)

My grandson just stopped over (he works until 9 pm) to pick up leftovers of tonight's hot dish, and some cake and scones from the tea party.

Yup, BoniChak, food is love.
(2)

i went to aunt ednas appt a week or so ago and " fried " her some apples while she was napping in her chair. some fellows from manna mission bring meals to the elders every evening. i answered ednas door with my hobo knife in my left hand ,you know, cause i was peeling apples. i held the knife back towards my wrist so as not to wield it at the men. they had never seen me before and frankly they thought i was a knife murderer. i went and caught them in the hallway and explained the apple peeling / knife business. theres an occasional downside to looking like charlie manson ..
the apples were good tho. we put cinnamon and "red hots" candy in them.. i dont eat the slimy sob's but edna loved them..
(1)

Same here, 3 days of a cold,1 better, then a 2 day migraine and dentist today.Haven't done much cooking. A friend actually brought ME chicken soup!
Food is Love.
(2)

Hope you feel better jeanne. I'm feeling a bit of the creeping crud myself - absolutely NO energy, sneezing and all the things that go with a classic head cold.

Took it easy by making a box mix of tabouli and a frozen gyros kit with fresh romaine, tomatoes and onion. Used lots of lemon juice and garlic in the tabouli just to TASTE something. It was pretty good. At least the boys gobbled it up.

It's sweet your hot dish reminded you of Coy and how much he apparently enjoyed hot sauce. :) Food can be a big memory trigger. It's like love in a lot of ways - good for the body and good for the soul.
(2)

I haven't felt well for a couple of days. Yesterday we had leftovers, and today's criteria was to use up a pound of ground beef I had thawed and to not require a trip to the store. I made an old bisquick recipe of a vegetable and hamburger hot dish with a biscuit crust. Served canned peaches with fresh kiwi on the side. Not my finest culinary moment, but it worked. It was the kind of thing Coy would have liked, with some Louisianna hot sauce.
(3)

like cooking from Americas test kitchen cook book.
I also have a great grandma pizza recipe from the cooks country tv side of it.
when I get home in the evening, I generally just warm something up, or enjoy some popcorn. mom likes the popcorn on occasion.
(3)

I love grilled cheese w/tomato basil soup!! I have never heard of green beans as haricots. Now I know, LOL!!

When I am working, I don't get home until 10:30-10-45pm so cooking a meal does not happen. I am off today and dinner tonight is a broiled tri-tip seasoned lightly with salt/pepper but heavy on the cayenne, minced garlic w/basil. Brussel sprouts and carrots. I like to make my hubby nice meals on my days off as he works hard, lots of long hours and he is so supportive of me with my mom's care and the time it takes away from keeping up at home.♥
(2)

LOL I thought haricots vert was something fancy Ha!! Green Beans! You got me!
(1)

jeanne, I will look up the potted ham recipe at NordicWare. That sounds so good, with radish for crunch and the watercress to cut the richness. The sharp cheddar scones sound right up my alley. I love savory recipes.

The haricot verts are so easy. Just a quick simmer, four to five minutes, and drain. Top with butter and sea salt. The package suggest 5 to 7 minutes but I err on the less side. I like a little crunch in my beans. :)

Yes, the prosciutto and artichoke combo is good, especially with honeyed goat cheese. My boys are so sick of this stuff but I can't seem to get enough of it. Thankfully, they gobble up the crust. It's amazing (and I hate that word, as related to food. The Grand Canyon is amazing.) I'm just thankful after 25 years of attempts that I found something EASY and good.
(1)

Windy, I got the potted ham recipe at a NordicWare cooking class. It is like deviled ham, and has radish and watercress in it. It is very nice to spread on savory scones. I used a sharp cheddar. The scone also had some mustard and some honey. The sweet scone (an excuse for lemon curd and clotted cream) was interesting - it has chopped crystallized ginger.

I've got some haricot verts in the fridge. How did you prepare yours?

Prosciutto and artichoke on pizza ... be still my heart! Might have to try that combination.
(2)

Oh Jeanne, I love your beautiful dessert photos, but please post a pic of that hat. :) I was at TJ's on Tuesday and they had such a beautiful variety of peppers. And daffodils at 10 for $1.49! I bought two bunches. So nice to have a touch of spring for so little money!

Your tea party menu looks so delicious. I'm curious, is the potted ham akin to deviled ham. Yes, I could google it, but I trust your take more. And the chive and cheese scones - what type of cheese did you use? I'm so looking forward to fresh chives from the garden. It's too soggy to take a look right now.

I made a batch of easy peasy food processor pizza dough (again) yesterday. We tried out TJ's pizza sauce which actually pretty good, though I like a chunkier sauce. This one was very smooth but with a good herby taste profile. Topped it with prosciutto, artichoke hearts, onions and mozzarella. Good stuff!

Dinner was once again grilled cheese with tomato soup. Busy days make for easy dinners.

Today we took my mom and my husband's dad out to Houlihan's, not my first choice, but I know they will always find something they like. Husband and FIL had breakfast offerings and my mom and I had the spicy shrimp special. I was pleasantly surprised, well actually impressed. A dozen medium-sized shrimp were served in a very light tempura batter over very fresh coleslaw in a banana ginger dressing with black sesame seeds. Wow! This chain restaurant surprised me!

I'm also glad I made a trip to the restroom as one of the black sesame seeds was lodged between my front teeth. Not a good look!

Simple grilled chicken tonight, baked beans and haricot verts, once again from TJ's. Best green beans outside of home grown.
(1)

I had a tea party here today, for two of my daughter's friends to come see her new digs. This is what I served:

Chive and cheese scones
Potted ham
Cucumber and sprout sandwiches
Curried egg salad sandwiches
Shrimp salad in mini cream puffs
Fruit barm brack (a quick bread)
Walnut, dates, cherry, and choc chip bread
Lemon pound cake
Marble pound cake
Ginger buttermilk scones
Lemon curd
Clotted cream
Shortbread cookies
Mint Dove chocolates

The ladies wore funny hats. My daughter bought every kind of pepper Trader Joe's had on hand, and sewed them on a straw garden hat.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter