Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I still haven't eaten so I guess I won't eat tonight...I created another good shake for Mama. This time...it was using the Jevity 1.2....someone gave me five FIVE cases of this stuff and as yall know it is for feeding tubes, not drinking...I decided to see what I could do with it. I took a can, really cold, added a couple scoops of pineapple sherbet, a little vanilla, a tad of malt powder, a dab of sugar and viola!!! it was GREAT! Mama loved it so I guess I can use it after all!!! woo hooo
(2)

susan - I have some good memories... I still can be a "hoot" given the right company. I have recent stories I dare not tell any, except a trusted few. We should start a thread - "You are never too old to..."
Your mum uses pin wheels - go go granny... LOL I like it!!!
Salads are great.
(2)

We stole a highway sign once...not one of the huge overpass ones but still big. Stuffed it into a van and hung it on the wall in this "party pad" a bunch of our friends went in on together. Wonder what ever happened to it....

Boni, MIL never took her chair off "turtle". One nice summer day about a year ago we took her out for some air and she wanted to go look at the garden out front. Next thing we knew she was toolin' down the middle of the road...and I mean RIGHT down the middle, still on turtle, but she thought she was cruisin'. It's a country road not heavily traveled but cars do tend to come around the bend fast. It was one of those slow motion "nnooooo!" moments that wasn't funny at the time, but funny to look back on now.
(2)

I should add that Emjoy is *still* a hoot now - all of you ladies are. I'm so enjoying your company! :-)
(3)

Emjo, you must have been a HOOT in the "old days". LOL

Boni, you go, girl! Tell it like it is. Negativity not allowed, we have enough of that in our lives. Oh, and my mom uses pinwheels on her scooter... :-)

Summer is quickly approaching, so we'll be eating lighter meals, more on the grill, steamed veggies and salads!
(3)

I have this wonderful image in my mind of an old lady speeding in a wheel chair and a younger lady waving flags to slow her down. I guess you had to be there - in my mind, I mean.
(4)

Not recently, yaya - many years ago in Montreal and we got it upstairs to our apartment too. Had lots of crazy fun there.

boni - you would need to grow some muscles to hold one of those up! It had a cement base and is long gone! Maybe you should learn how to semaphore - you know - with flags. It might bring her to a screeching stop - rubber burning!
(1)

No, but I wish I had one to hold up when Mom starts speeding in her wheelchair. Can I borrow yours?
(3)

Umm...would that be recently?
(1)

Did anyone else ever steal a stop sign?
(1)

The small, but extremely tasty - actually, totally awesome, remains of the short ribs. Mm - mm good. I must do them again. Brussels sprouts, finished with coffee, a square of dark chocolate and 1/2 glass of merlot. I am relaxed right out of my mind. 1/2 a glass will do it. I am a cheap drunk these days. Now in the old days, it was a different matter ...
(2)

I'm from the planet called "Normal Land" I started this thread as a distraction from the negativity. Almost 700 posts in 4 months makes me think a lot of us enjoy this thread as a way to connect about something other than care giving, yet still everyday life. So if you are a POSITIVE person from Normal land........tell us....What's for dinner?
(5)

I guess I am from another planet: don't feel like cooking either: made a big salad of dandelion greens, cubes of feta cheese, red onions, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and made a salad dressing from a dip by thinning it out with mayo and a little water. It was very refreshing. Dandelions are one of healthiest plants you can eat: just don't eat the ones growing in pesticide laden lawns!
(4)

I am off today and tomorrow...Tonight we are having sauted chicken breast with onions and fresh cilantro. A salad of red and green bell peppers, green onions,cucumber, and tomatoes...feta cheese on my end...hubby doesn't like it and a balsamic dressing. Just old fashion food.
(2)

Hope, you're going to have to write a book about spicing up Ensure shakes. LOL

Assandache, let us know what you came up with!

Boni - you and were thinking the same thing tonight. Not hot here, but having taken on extra work to make extra money, my "cooking time" is slowly getting whittled down to NONE. I ran out to the local liquor store/deli and picked up some lasagna and beef stroganoff for dinner tonight.
(1)

Hot day. Went to the Deli for fresh cold cuts and rolls. Easy peasy and paper plates!
(2)

I have no idea! I better figure it out soon because it's 4pm.
(2)

Susan...haha...last night I was wandering around staring at the kitchen and thought about what we had talked about and decided to clean that baby up..haha....I will get some of those containers.. and it is great to be able to just pop something in the oven and it be ready and waiting. I don't think I would have cooked last night but Dancing With the Stars was big deal to me last night and I wanted to enjoy it...Sad how much I look forward to season finales....good grief....what in the world...I plan my night around them, AFTER I have gotten Mama all settled down. I have gone crazy with the blender...lol....I even made an almond malted milk shake out of one of her ensures the other day and again, she wolfed it down. for the most part as you know that stuff is limited to vanilla, chocolate, strawberry , dark chocolate and butter pecan...I know she has to get so tired of it...but she sure enjoyed that peanut butter chocolate fudge one...( I enjoyed a little myself...had to be sure it was good).....
(1)

Hope, that sounds like a great idea with Mom's shake - what a creative way to spice it up a little for her!

Definitely freeze the leftover chicken teriyaki if you don't want to eat the leftovers. I pick up these little foil containers with pasteboard (like stiff posterboard) lids at WalMart - they're something like $1 for a 3-pack. I keep about 15 or 20 of them on hand at all times, because when I cook extra, I can label it and put it in the freezer right away. As long as you think far enough in advance, you can re-heat them in the oven in an hour or so (depending on what's in the container, some items take longer), or dump it out into a microwaveable dish and heat it that way.

It's saved my bacon more than once on nights when I'm too busy to cook, or don't feel like it...or haven't gotten the dishes done yet!
(2)

SusanA43, I do believe we must be related....lol...sounds like me for sure....and one of my aunts was a cake decorator as well! wow...lots of coincidences there! I realized I had not really eaten a "meal" today, and I got all enthused and made some chicken teriyaki....I don't know what I'll do with all the leftovers but I guess I can freeze in individual servings for when the next non cooking mood hits me. Yeah, I do love to cook and before Mom started just drinking the shakes, I cooked all kinds of meals....but kind of depresses me to cook for me. I did get inventive tonight and took a can of Mom's Ensure, some chocolate ice cream, peanut butter and made her a super protein packed shake...She loved it...so I was able to make her happy with a nice treat and get creative in the kitchen a bit at least .. :)
(3)

Do you like hot dishes, Cap? (aka covered dishes or casseroles) Tonight I made Ritzy chicken which includes egg noddles, browned chicken strips, sauteed portabella mushrooms (I could leave them out for you), smothered in a chicken/yogurt sauce, and covered with crushed Ritz crackers. This is a big favorite in my family. I made an extra pan for my granddaughter's family -- I could make an extra for you. :D. We had a 7-grain salad on bib lettuce, pickled beets, and sweet dill pickle slices on the side. No dessert for us tonight, but I think I'd make you a will-you-marry-me caramel apple cake.

Daughter boarder and I are taking a cooking class tomorrow night, and boarder son will have his choice of leftover cabbage soup or leftover Ritzy chicken. He won't be hurtin'.
(1)

Hope22 - think we were separated at birth. If it weren't for caring for Mom, I'd hardly ever cook. I love to cook, am a former restaurant cook and come from a long line of cooking women (Mom's mother owned a restaurant, Mom cooked/kept house for a long line of priests at their parish, one sis is a cake decorator/baker & cooks at a hospital, neices all love to cook and 2 are cake decorators as well) - but if I'm not cooking for someone else, it's pointless.

Coffee and cheese. Coffee and fruit. Coffee and toast. Coffee and fig cookies. That would be my meal plan if I were alone. LOL Kinda sad.
(1)

Having s hard time typing on this tablet. I meant I was happy to stumble on this
(0)

So glad u stumbled onto this thread. Made a rhubarb cobbler for Mom,s bday My first cobbler. Pretty good. I will tweak it and do better next time.

Es
(2)

I'm with you Pam....Slice me up a nice fat chunk of that double chocolate cake!
And you're absolutely right Boni - anything but chicken livers and rice!!
I'd grill ole cappy up some nice tender steak tips that have been sitting in a Jack Daniels infused marinade for at least 8 hours....baked potato skins with sour cream and bacon, and some crisp stir fried summer veggies on the side. Fresh strawberries covered in whipped cream for dessert.
(2)

LOL!
(0)

I would make him a Drunken Chicken, giblets and all. And then I would go to dinner at Boni's house.
(2)

From what I've seen here, most of us caregivers are motherly (or grandmotherly) and love doing nice things for others, It's in our basic nature. It's why we do what we do. To me, and many others....Food = Love. By a show of "likes" how many of you would LOVE the opportunity to cook a good old fashion meal for our Captain Bob?
I would make him a slow roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, Home made biscuits, Broccoli in cheese sauce, buttered kernel corn, apple sauce and a double fudge cake with vanilla ice cream for dessert. I would make plenty so he had a few days of leftovers. I think a few days without beans and chicken guts would do him some good.
Anybody else that would LOVE to cook that old curmudgeon a good meal? I wonder what Jeanne would make.
(1)

im pretty filled up with stone dust and steel grindings from the truck body work . to top it off i eat ednas cardboard pizzas that ******* drops by . edna hates cheese and these pizzas blow but they keep me from having to cook dinner ..
i s'pect the handfull of hepc meds here in a few will fill me up till breakfast time . ( more pills , lol ..)
(0)

I love to cook, but not so much for just me. I always plan something really good and then the time comes to actually cook and then I go for the usual....a piece of fruit and coffee.....or a piece of cheese and coffee......or....coffee........speaking of which........
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter