Follow
Read More
Had thai fried prawns with fried rice as i am so bored and comfort eating no veg which i promised i was going to eat more of? had a bad day with mum is this an excuse to eat crap? YES! oh and a full pkt of chocolate biscuits mum had steak,kale and potato i know her dinners are always healthier than mine well us carers never look after ourselves but make sure they eat well!
(1)

im having one of my favorite meals tonight -- chicken livers ..
my god im a living joke..
* sigh *
id buy beaks and claws if i could get em ..
(0)

Aargh! I made burgers with potato salad.

Mom: when did you make these potatoes?
Me: just a little while ago
Mom: well! They're cold!!
Me: there suppose to be it's potatoes salad.
Mom:Hmm, they're all mashed(poking with fork)
Me: I cooked the crap out of them because if I cooked them the right way you would complain they are too hard!!!
Mom: HMMM....

What happened to "Thank You" for cooking every *cking meal I eat for me..

I hate dementia!!!!!!!!
(4)

Dinner tonight is quick and dirty - fried chicken from Kroger reheated w/some veggies, maybe a salad. I'm swamped with work today and it's been stressing me out big time. Cooking is just not on the list tonight. I used to have quiet Mondays, but for some reason, things have reversed lately and I'm swamped 7 days a week.
(1)

great observation , book. recipes are for losers. what you cook is what sounds good in conjunction with the variety of ingredients you have on hand , and hopefully close enough to a leftover dish to reconstitute the leftovers into it so your not wasting food .
alison , your dish sounds great to me but i cant imagine it being called breakfast. ill have to think about this. breakfast is unfamiliar territory to me , my breakfast is coffee and tobacco .
i can cook any breakfast imaginable but someone else would have to eat it, im having coffee and tobacco ..
im not eating at all right now. being ill with hepc the last few years has caused me to lose some muscle mass . in its place is untoned muscle , not even really fat . im getting strong now and building muscle with the fuel of the untoned stuff. thats wierd stuff but thats whats going on.
(1)

Thanks captain for the detail. I copied and pasted it -in case I feel adventurous.
ABB, no meat in there? That sounds easy to do...

Last night, bro of next door dropped off freshly made old fashion Beef stew. He was so surprised that it was made the way mom used to make it - plain simple soup made with water, onions, cabbage, salt and beef (ham hock - with the bones) It was sooo delicious!

We had left overs. So today, for lunch, I took it out to warm it. No soup left only the meat is left. Darn! I never cooked soup from scratch. I went and got our local native cookbook. I couldn't find the recipe for it. But I remembered how simple mom made it. So, I poured in some water, took a guess on how much salt to throw in. Tasted it. Yep! Not salty, but plain soup in which you can taste the beef. Hope we still have leftovers for dinner. I'm going to have to hurry and learn to make soup. I can make one big pot of soup on Sundays for lunch and dinner.
(1)

Was too exhausted by time I got home from all-day-VA yesterday to eat anything for dinner, just went to bed. So this morning, made skillet potatoes and green beans with lots of chopped sweet onions and garlic all cooked up and caramelized. Its about as close as I come to any "real" cooking, but it was tasty, hearty breakfast.
(1)

the s*it rocks with crushed , fresh blueberries in it too ..
(1)

cold , sweetened rice is good with any fruit imo . its a dessert grade , staple food with high energy return , per energy required to digest it . great for elders with lazy digestive systems . my aunt especially liked it with crushed pineapple in it too . the pineapple requires no cooking time as opposed to raw apples, they have to be boiled for a few minutes. instant rice is fine, just soften your apples in a seperate skillet till tender cause instant rice wont cook long enough to cook the apples . i put a little pumpkin pie spice , cinnamon and butter , vanilla in my apple rice. edna really raved over it. never add vanilla till the end, its alcohol and will dissipate away at 173 degrees ..
gotta get you schooled , book , lol ..
(2)

I never heard of apple rice. I just googled it. Sounds very interesting....but it says instant rice. I use the rice cooker to cook our rice. Read some comments on it...used instant brown rice, cinnamon, pecans, with the skin, without the skin.... hmmm...
(1)

eh, i bought the tinned ' whatever ' so id have something to eat with morning meds , a drug absorbtion thing . didnt adhere to it for ten minutes , just not interested in breakfast . breakfast is caffein and nicotene damnt ..
i made the rice and apples with edna in mind . she opened the door this am but was still so out of it that i just fixed her meds , left her rice and went to work . by 3 pm she was telling the daughter that i hadnt been by in 2 or 3 days -- but-- the daughter noted, there were meds and apple rice . this freakin dementia care is downright fun if ya get your sense of humor in a good place ..
(2)

Captain, I usually eat the roast beef potted meat with lightly toasted bread - as a snack. That meat is very salty.

Although sis cooked rice, I think I will have the Lean Cuisine chicken salad for dinner. Never tried it - will be my first. For dessert will be a very delicious, very sweet, very soft - sugar bread rolls ... Store bought rolls.
(1)

3 am , and im eating a tin of dollar store potted meat . i have some killer rice and cooked apples in the fridge but cat food grade potted meat just seems to be more desirable right now ..
(1)

I didn't home from work until almost 10pm. I opened a can of tuna, drained the water, added mayo,onions, tomato and a jalapeno...ate it on crackers...yummy!!!
(1)

I should have done spaghetti, rotisserie chicken, hot roast beef sandwiches, anything other than coconut crusted tilapia. The old folks of mine, if I serve something unusual, that I think would be good and they would like, welp, each time I decide I'll never do that again. It was quite good actually.
(2)

Spaghetti out of the freezer tonight - one of my pre-made, easy-to-reheat meals. (Spaghetti cooked and bagged and sauce bagged separately.)
(2)

I just made some delicious quinoa banana muffins with pecans. They will be my gluten free snack during the 8 hour film shoot tomorrow. I have given myself permission to eat out tomorrow at least once too. Feels so good to be working.
Mom is totally obsessed now with moving to a new senior building center. She is detaching from me, which is super!
(2)

I am making a new twist on braised short ribs with a sauce made from the broth with balsamic vinegar, New Mexico dried chiles, onions, garlic and rosemary.

The recipe can be found on food network...farmhouse rules by Nancy Fuller.
I wanted to make a large batch to freeze individual servings for myself for after work, but the butcher said they are having trouble getting them in right now.
(2)

Root canal today. I think I'm going straight to the ice cream tonight.
I met my Dentist at a care giving class. He has both Mom and dad in AL, and his MIL just passed.
I've told him several times about this site. When he finished with me I told him about one of our threads.
You know you are a care giver if root canal is a nice little break. He gets it.
(3)

i have assets alison , im bout 4 feet from shoulder to shoulder . not pretty but a monster in a real male way .. and as gentle as a lamb, which id also eat uncooked if i were hungry enough . lol
(1)

im a workhorse maam , i cant do everything id like to do . ive rebuilt a truck , handled several hundred tons of stone in the last 3 months and now cutting / splitting firewood every day . yes , i neglect myself sometimes .. women work very hard but im not so sure they do the excruciating physical labor that i do ..
(1)

Taco salad. Low carb one for me with no beans or tortillas. Regular one for mom
(2)

my back hurts, im eating tree bark again tonight. alison, i kid a lot. thats not a crime.
(1)

Rotisserie chicken from Costco. Also picked up some various berries so marinated them with mint, sugar and balsamic vinegar. Potato salad, hubby sautéing himself some morel mushrooms. Dad said he had 2 servings of ice cream at day care not sure if true or not so no dessert for him.
(2)

It was hot here today so I made a cold anti-pasta platter. Rolled salami, ham, provolone, celery sticks, and artichoke hearts drizzled with olive oil. It was light so I'll be hitting the freezer soon myself. Vanilla fudge or chocolate marshmallow......or both!
(3)

Finally got those grilled steak tips! Marinated them all day and grilled 'em to perfection.....SO good! Also made potato salad to go with ithem, and some roasted red bell pepper and Vadalia onions drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. No dessert - too full...but there is some mint chocolate chip ice cream in the freezer that may be calling my name later.
(2)

A special Memorial Day Edition of "What's for Dinner?" - hey, that sounds like the old Hee Haw show - "Hey, Grandpa! What's for Supper?" LOL

Burgers on the grill, of course, with all the fixings - that's what's for dinner at our house!
(1)

Boni, I'd sure like to come to dinner at your house sometime!

I had bacon-cheese-mushroom quiche on my menu tonight. I threw in some leftover roasted veggies. And I thought, gee I have room for all of these veggies. When I finished and turned to open the oven I spotted a pound of cooked bacon draining on paper towels. Oh ... that's why I had extra room. Sigh. I managed to poke a lot into the pie anyway. It was good.

With it we had fruit salad: mango, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and dried cherries topped with Greek yogurt and honey.

I think we got in all of our veggie and fruit servings in the one meal!
(3)

Well, that frozen bag of garlic chicken, pasta, broccoli was awful - to me. I love broccoli but it got overcooked. Pasta did not. I did put a lot of black pepper in it. I was already dreading cooking the other half since I didn't like the first half. Maybe the next time, I will take out the broccoli and cook that separately from the chicken/pasta. Unfortunately (or fortunately - since father hates eating real food -loves pies and banana bread), my dad really really liked it. Sooooo, since this is one of those Rare food that he likes, I'm going to have to buy more of it. =( I really need to jazz it up in the taste department.

FYI, that egg in the bread hole was delicious! I was so worried that the egg would make the bread soggy. It didn't. As usual, I forgot to sprinkle salt and pepper. Since it was too late, I did only the black pepper on top. This morning, I did the fried rice. Not as good as the egg/bread but much more filling. ... I saw something on Youtube about egg/bread/tomatoes. When I have time, I'd like to go back and read up on it. I like tomatoes, too.
(2)

Hmm..book, now I'm thinking of making Egyptian Egg Toast for breakfast tomorrow. Yum. :-)
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter