Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
OMG, I have said it once, I will say it many, many times. I wish these folks enjoyed something adventurous, that would wake up their taste buds! I have tried a number of times, and to receive nothing other than wrinkled up noses is disappointing to say the least!
(1)

Oh Captain sounds like fun for all...You're the cool GP..
(0)

Captain I'm so very happy for you! Way to go dude!
(0)

Jeanne-I didn't baste the salmon just put the salsa on top after cooking. Roasted fennel is really good.
I love white beans..will have to try it puff pastry.
(0)

How did that work, Nennie? Did MIL like the burger?
(0)

Oh, my dinner tonight was a recipe chosen by my boarder/son Pat, for twice cooked white beans. The beans are first boiled in broth, then simmered with additional ingredients, then poured into a casserole, covered with puff pastry and baked. I thought the beans looked too soupy when I poured them into the casserole, but I followed the times and the recipe did not describe how they were supposed to look at that point.

The flavor was very, very good. Turned out to be a keeper recipe ... But I would make adjustments next time to have the mixture less soupy. It would be a fun dish to make in individual casserole dishes (which I happen to have, of course :) ) and cover each with the puff pastry. Yup, think I'll try that next time.

See ... cooking is part science, part art. Lots of following directions and a pinch or two of creativity.
(1)

sharynmarie, that sounds like an awesome salsa for the salmon. Do you baste the salmon while it is cooking, or just use the salsa on it after it is cooked. I've never tried roasted fennel. Sounds interesting.
(0)

The eggplant sounds delicious! Do you have any more quick, easy recipies?
(0)

Very appetizing Veronica....poor thing. I hope all comes out well. Wow, that was NOT meant as a pun! Seriously though, I hope you are ok. Follow up with Ice cream, it's a miracle drug.
(1)

Capt you deserve any treats you get. You have more than paid your dues then some.
(1)

Well tonight's dinner was 450 mls of barium. Yuck.Same thing for breakfast in the morning then a nice relaxing CT scan.
(1)

funnier yet kaz . bought a new bike at 26, still driving it . that aint braggin , just a fun fact . ike will turn 30 next year ..
(1)

Cap glad youre having fun cant believe youre a "gramps" you must have had your kids young?
(0)

the kids just lost a grandpa in fla , a rather young death -- he was about 58 . not far fronm losing the grandma also from lung cancer . its a great time for me to get involved with them . when the care for my 2 elders is behind me i planned to turn my attention to kids anyway -- any kids .. our first ride this am around the appt complex resulted in 3 kids pouring out of another appt and begging a ride on ike . their mother was all kinds of consenting . said their attention had been on ike since my arrival here yesterday .
thanks boni . in a mild upswing of arrogance i might say that i deserve this treat ..
(6)

I would eat dirt, if I could have dinner with my Grand Babies. I am SO happy you are getting this time with them. Tell them "HI" from a bunch of old ladies that think their Grandpa is one H*ll (Heck) of a caring man. Love ya Bob. ENJOY every minute!
(3)

we found some rural roads and was able to take 3 kids on a heck of a trike ride . the two more apprehensive ones are possibly ikes biggest fans now . gonna easily stay another night . been a couple of years of sincere elder caregiving for me and / or hard labor . son is on family leave to recieve and care for his kids from fla this summer .
my visit here isnt an intrusion on anyones schedule or anything .
the hepc tx is done and looks like a success after 15 years of failed treatment attempts and the future looks pretty promising . got a request for brotchen rolls with pizza filling tonight ..
(5)

Raining here cold and miserable and all i can do is smoke or eat?
(0)

Was going to make another burger and to my surprise i found this indian mix i got months ago so i made spicey patties they were lovely. Very hot and spicy with raita youghurt and mint dip! In fact that was 3hrs ago i think i am now going to have another one.
(3)

Tonight's dinner is broiled salmon with a fruit salsa. A plum, a peach diced very small, red onion, a jalapeno, cayenne pepper, cilantro and balsamic vinegar. The veggies are roasted fennel bulb, zucchini, onion and celery, salt, pepper, fresh basil, drizzled with olive oil and roasted at 425 degrees. Yum Yum!!
(1)

Book~you are doing great since cooking is trial by error for all of us. Hugs to you!!
(2)

Dinner tonight is the dinner I didn't eat last night - too tired. Contractor renovating the bathroom, muscle/helper guy building huge raised bed so I can grow all my own veggies, house in chaos, took mother to get dentures relined ($500!!!), went to town to collect flea preventative for the dogs and cats. Waiting for everyone to go home so I can flop into an armchair with a glass of something (my bad lol)..

I'm in SW Ontario, Canada btw, about 3 hours west of Toronto.
(0)

i agree , jeanne. book aint messin around . shes gonna develope a love of the creativity that cooking constitutes if she isnt careful .
(1)

Book, I'm proud of your cooking adventures! Don't be discouraged about how long it took you. Those published cooking times are based on experienced cooks. You'll be one one day (if you want to be).

My stir-fry last night took longer than I'd expected. And I had to go to the internet to see how to peel and devein shrimp.

I hear you about the salt! We tried to keep relatively low sodium for my husband's health needs. Now my son is rooming here and he dislikes salt. When I eat in a restaurant everything tastes over-salted. I simply don't add salt to a savory recipe that includes canned items, like tomatoes. There is more than enough salt in the canned goods. (Baking is different. I follow the recipe, including salt.)
(2)

Homemade burgers with veggies mixed in so my mother in law can't see them! With not so healthy tator tots
(1)

my son joked to " lany " while she was eating a cookie that she likes g - pa NOW . ha.
her response was " i always liked him " . im having a nice time here .
oughtta get some snow chains for ike and blow right over the north pole to europe since im so far north already . lol
speaking of " full of s*hit " , thanks debralee for linking megalomania and delusions of grandeur in my head . i was trying to learn exactly what megalomania meant .
(1)

kazzaa - we lived in IL for a few years and anytime we went out mom would get coffee. She would get mad because just as soon as it would get cool enough for her to drink they would be topping it off again making it too hot to drink. I had to add ice chips when they did it.
(1)

I am going to the store to buy the ingredients and make some for myself. Enough of reading about ecstasies, I'm going to eat them too. The tricky part is how to make them without sharing them with mum.
Country style ribs and vegetables in the slow cooker for dinner today.
(1)

" cave man club " kaz .
the cookies are a b*tch.
(0)

Not cooking tonight! mum fighting again about money so ill starve her i am so fed up with her crap "what do you with all my money". she thinks food comes from the sky? So no money no dinner works everytime. Ill give her a few hours then shell get so hungry we will get a takeaway eventually yep this happens usually about every few weeks and this is what works. I pay all bills she pays for food thats the deal so tough!
(0)

My first visit to the states was chicago i made a bee-line for the diners as soon as we arrived as i always wanted to eat in one since "happy days" after stuffing my face on eggs,bacon,waffles,maple syrup i nearly fell over on the way out as i experienced my first "caffeine" overdose!! Boy you guys can down your coffee i didnt even ask but everytime i turned my back my coffee was "refilled" Of course never getting anything like that here i reckon i drank about six cups without realising it! Love those diners though and managed to put on 6lbs! OOH i forgot the hash browns yummy!!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter