Follow
Read More
kaz - I haven't tried the smoothie yet but I did buy everything except the maca for it. Going to switch blueberries for the bananas for my smoothie as I can't eat bananas. I have to wait until Wednesday before I can give it to my mom. She is on some meds until then which have to be taken with food.
Ha, I haven't made the smoothie yet and already changing the recipe. That is me though, I don't follow recipes.
(1)

Kazz, I've been getting palpitations fir about a month now. I had two doctors tell me to see a cardiologist. I saw one and they saw an irregularity in both the EKG and Echo cardiogram. I have a cardiac event monitor fir a month. It's about the size if a cell phone. If I feel my heart racing I put it on my chest and record it. One event happened the other day when me and my sister were feuding via e-mail. I blame her for that and my cancer! Lol
(0)

Yup, that's the general idea, Shilo. There was wood paneling on the walls that was 40+ years old, put up by my dad in the early 70s that was taken down - it was glued/nailed to the walls, so the glue had to be sanded off the walls before they could be painted.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work my friends did (and I'm paying them for it, of course), but I bought drop cloths for a reason - a lot of drop cloths - yet the dishes in the cabinets, pots/pans, and every single flat surface in the house is covered in dust....dust from walls that were last painted about 50 years ago and contains God only knows what. The dust is all over the furniture....and there are flecks of paint everywhere. Anyway, I'll get it cleaned, but there's nothing like driving 12 hours and then coming home to that kind of mess. :-/ I'm happy the painting is at least most of the way done - there are still things that need to be done to finish it - but it looks worlds better already. We're talking going from 40-year-old dark brown paneling to antique white walls in the living room and hall and pale yellow in the kitchen. SO different.

Mom had a hot turkey sandwich (turkey with gravy on bread w/mashed potatoes & gravy on the side) and I had a bacon cheeseburger that was HEAVENLY.
(2)

Came back from a challenging exercise class (I am out of shape so it was challenging) and then home for a big salad for dinner: fresh dandelion greens, cilantro, radishes from the Farmer's market, sweet red peppers, cucumbers, sweet raw onion, tomatoes, raw snap peas, and a blue cheese dressing I made with some goat cheese from Trader Joe's and goat yogurt. Goat products are easier to digest and are healthier than regular diary that you find at the supermarkets. Dandelions are super blood cleansers and taste great with other veggies. They are better for you even than Kale.

I met with a perspective client who treated me to Thai lunch which was yummy.

It was a nice day.
(2)

Preparing the chinook salmon I caught yesterday. Half is being baked, the other half fried with cornmeal. I'm not too into baked fish... chinook and steelhead are just awesome fried!!.... grilled asparagus drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and cottage cheese with pineapple junks. whew..... hot here, gonna be 94 tomorrow!!

Susan, sorry about all the extra work that is causing you! Hope the new paint job looks good enough to squelch the angst!
(4)

Susan - A little under the weather here...do I understand you correct...you have to wipe everything from all the sand dust :( but at least the painting is almost complete and it isn't all over the furniture? :)
What kind of take out from the diner?
(1)

Tonight's dinner brought to you by the local diner. Thank you to my painting friends for (not quite) completing the painting job, and for leaving most of the items in the house uncovered (I bought drop cloths, darn it!), so that everything in the house is covered with a fine layer of dust from them sanding the walls. No cooking in this house for the next few days, until I get everything re-washed again.
(1)

thats your crazy mom causing the palpitations , kaz . sometimes i used to have a muscle in the back of my neck slam for several minutes at a time .. stress . the cure ; booze ..
(0)

i was rained out of my woodcutting today . took a nap for a couple hours . it felt great . now im frying me some chicken livers . aint gonna eat em till theyre nearly cold , i think theyre better then .
(0)

CAp my breakfast was always a cig and a latte now its a "smoothie" and 5cigs!!!! yep off the coffee 3wks now and headaches are gone! I love coffee but it dosnt love me so had to stop was getting too many palpatations although i miss those palpatations they somehow made me feel i was alive as i could feel my heart beating out my neck!!
(0)

Had my smoothie for breakfast well 1pm as didnt get up until 12pm just didnt want to havnt felt hungry all day so just had some tinned sardines in olive oil yummy these are new and d*mn expensive as they are "no bones" sardines!! cant wait for my boring dark chocolate later!
Dont know if anyone tried the smoothie recipe but i do feel very energenic since i took it and feel full for at least half the day which is great got mum drinking it too although she hates it i just tell her to down it quickly! yeh mum hates anything healthy?? guess thats why shes like this now!
(0)

check , and check ..
(1)

Capt are you seriously suicidal?
Coffee? tobacco?
Wood cutting?
All you need is some alcohol and a few drugs.
RIP
(0)

ah, my favorite breakfast -- coffee and tobacco . going back to my beloved wood cutting today but my knees feel like theyve been slammed with a ball bat from the 8 hours of automobile work yesterday .
(0)

Raging headache. Didn't want to go home after work and find out that there's no ready-to-eat food. The thought of microwave dinner made my stomach queasy. So, I did a no-no. Bought KFC for dinner, took the Excedrin. Headache is still here throbbing.
(2)

Ate at a park pavillion (Como Park for you Minnesotans) before a bandshell concert. Had Wild Rice Chicken soup and a slice of French bread. And an ice cream cone during the concert. :)
(1)

Picked up Popeye chicken for dinner.... it's been a while since we had that, gosh the coating is sooooo good on the chicken.

Oops, I just checked on-line the sodium level for what we had.... YIKES.... looks like a week of fresh veggies and salads after that !!
(1)

man , fried onion and cabbage sounds good . i only had one leg and thigh of cold , boiled chicken today . that'll hold me .
(0)

nothing like KFC!!!

Fried onions, cabbage and pierogies for our dinner.
(2)

captain thought about a hot plate for canning but would really like to keep canning in the kitchen where I can keep an eye on the process.
Going all out tonight -KFC haha!
(2)

oh my .
8 hours later the truck is done . intake gaskets on the 4 . 3 notoriously rot out and leak antifreeze . figured id better fix it before antifreeze got into the motor oil . 6 months ago i wouldnt have had the energy or stamina to do such a big job with only a couple of smoke breaks . its nice to have energy again . with low energy level theres a sense of dread towards anything that uses muscles . i dont even have the dread anymore -- i just meander outside and tear into things ..
(2)

We put paprika on deviled eggs, potato salads and fish. It has a very mild taste depending on how much is used. We add extra to potato salad along with the juice from the olives.
(1)

Not roast chuck, roast cluck or chicken.
(0)

Kaz, the cat got the gravy?! I usually serve roast chuck with canned cranberry sauce and boiled potatoes. Seldom gravy. If I am Lucy the grocery deli has "Cranberry Celebration" salad available.

Paprika, try the smoked variety and I adds a wonderful flavor to many things.
(1)

roast chicken,roast potatoes,carrots,NO stuffing left and cat got the gravy?
(0)

I think that paprika is often used as a garish. If you sprinkle a little on your deviled eggs it makes them look interesting, but it doesn't change the taste that I can tell. But a couple of teaspoons in a soup or a tablespoon in a kettle of chili does make a difference in the taste.
(0)

i think a wood fire would be too up and down with temps , veronica . the fuel would be free tho so its something ill think about . trying not to surround myself with junk -- want to steer towards getting the stonework done on the front of the house . everything has to be on the cheap because a concert in germany in 2 years is the scales that everything is weighed on ..
son in chicaggy isnt that happy with his living situation . he may be home someday and a lot of things would change . another room onto the basement for one or winesot upstairs gets kicked to the curb .
ones best laid plans can change in an instant .
im going out to tackle the gmc intake manifold gaskets . want things to be working well for concert on july 5 ..
(0)

Capt I thought you were more recouceful. Can't you construct a solar oven or find a propane camp cooker somewhere in a junk shop or maybe an old primas in your junk pile. What about an old wood cook stove people give them away and that would work outside - no installation needed. We have free want adds in our newpaper. Maybe you can find a BBG like that or go curb shopping.
I love curb shopping but I can't lift really heavy stuff anymore and it does tend to pile up before I get to it.
(0)

if im not mistaken , paprika is a garnish and doesnt have any flavor at all . cayenne , in my mind , is in the direction of a tomato based dish . now , a can of stewed , chopped tomatoes atop the chops and baked would have been pretty good but the chops would need to be baked for 1-1/2 hrs till they practically melt down .
im a little apprehensive about baking some meat dishes . you can spend 3 dollars worth of electricity on 4 dollars worth of meat .
experimentation is a great teacher tho , book . scorch on ..
(0)

Fave niece dropped off lunch/dinner - Pork chops. The first meat was delicious - so flavorful. In consideration of my acid reflux, she did not use garlic powder. Instead, she used chili powder or was it chili sauce. The 2nd meat was very very salty. She was really surprised that I actually cooked pork chops. We compared notes on our seasoning. She never thought of using paprika and cayenne pepper on it. Uhm... I found out where I went wrong. She said that I need to RUB the seasoning onto the meat - not shake it on top of the meat. I told her that I'm not really ready to touch the soft meat with my hands. It was really stomach-turning when I was forced to do so. Every time I touched it, I quickly washed my hands. She said that is the best way to get the seasoning onto the meat - especially if it's a thick meat. I'll get there eventually....
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter