Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
JB - I bet they do with the state America is in right now. I just thought Kaz would be taking a sip of that drink saying happy 4th and I didn't want her to think she was drinking alone.
(0)

I'm from the U.S. But ever since visiting Paris in 2006 and becoming a Francofile, I like celebrating Bastille Day (July 14th). French food, French wine! Vive le France!
(1)

You are right Jeannie. We do celebrate the 4th of July but for the reasons you mentioned. I don't know what Kazz does as her part of Ireland is an independent country.
(2)

LOL, Shilo8. I don't think Great Britain celebrates America's Independence Day. But maybe I'm wrong. Do Brits all share a collective sigh of relief that this obstreperous colony is no longer their responsibility?
(1)

kaz - Happy 4th to you too! I thought you were going to say something like made a pie to slap in someone's face. Where is my mind these days.
(0)

I know JB its a very tough diet but as im wheat and dairy intolerant i have no choice but to eat low carbs but its not easy. Last year after her siezure i put mum on a low carb diet the docs were astonished as to how her bloods were perfect BUT she was weak and recovering from the siezure so once she got her strenght back she started eating crap again. She was alot more alert and lost 2stone oh thats 28lbs. With vascular dementia her diet is everything but she wont listen!
(0)

Kaz, as I understand it, a very low carb diet is one approach to tightly controlling blood sugar levels and their fluctuations. In other words, it is a management tool -- not a cure. To be a real cure the person's metabolic system would have to be restored to working normally and automatically responding appropriately to whatever you ate. You friends who have been "cured" would probably relapse if they strayed too far from the diet.

Dr. Richard K Bernstein is a fascinating guy who struggled with Type 1 diabetes at a time when that was pretty much a sentence to an early death. Through his wife's medical journals he order a blood glucose meter (long before the simple hand-held devices easily available to patients) and began experimenting on himself. He learned how he could manage (not cure) his own blood sugar fluctuations through a very careful and stringent diet. In the process he went back to school and became a medical doctor. I read one of his books for people with diabetes and studied his diet. I have the utmost respect for him. And if that was the only way to manage the disease, it is *maybe) better than an early death or complications. But I would not chose to follow that severely restricted diet unless it were the absolute only option open to me.

Good for Dr. Bernstein! Larger through his efforts the importance of patients being able to monitor their own blood sugar levels became widely accepted. He has made great contributions to our knowledge about how and why blood sugar levels fluctuate. But I'll pass on his diet, thanks.
(0)

JB have you read of a low carb diet to cure diabetes? i know its hard but it could be cured by cutting out all bad carbs? thats if its not insulin dependant of course yeh its too late for mum but i know some people have been cured by this diet?
(1)

Jeanne~Thank you, I would never say to someone they aren't managing it well because I don't know enough but I did think that with my sister because she is not a big eater. However, I think I understand more for her situation because of low blood pressure, she is not very active as it causes it to drop even more. For her, going to the grocery store after work, is activity that her body is not used to so I can see (after what you posted) why she would suddenly have that drop. Thank you for not getting angry with my ignorance of the disease.

Sis is now back in the hospital as all her labs are low, potassium, iron, sodium, etc. They are infusing her with IV fluids to replace the minerals. She has many health issues, so hard on her.
(1)

Sharynmarie, this is a lay person’s simplified understanding of a very complex process.

When you eat a tomato (for example) the body immediately starts converting it into glucose. (There are no little chunks of tomato flowing in our bloodstreams – only blood glucose.) At the same time the pancreas starts releasing insulin into the blood. We need some glucose in our blood stream at all times, but most of it is delivered to cells. Cells have to be careful to take in the correct blood component, and it is insulin’s job to signal the cells that this is glucose and they should take it in.

In Type 2 diabetes one of two things (or both) could be going wrong in this automatic process: 1) the cells are having trouble recognizing the insulin/glucose combination and they resist taking in the glucose and/or 2) the pancreas does not produce/release enough insulin to get the right amount of glucose into the cells. Either of these problems result in too much glucose in the blood. If the process removes too much blood glucose too fast, the blood glucose count gets too low, resulting in potentially dangerous symptoms.

Treatment to keep the glucose count in a good range includes not bombarding the system with too much carbohydrate at one time, and not going too long without eating carbohydrates. But the amount eaten and when aren't the only factors to be managed. Exercise changes how this process works, and so does flight-or-fight kinds of stress.

Treatment also can include drugs to stimulate more insulin production or drugs to reduce cells’ resistance to taking glucose in, or injecting glucose into the body directly.

Theoretically if people with diabetes could mimic what the healthy body does automatically there would never be excessive highs or lows of glucose in the blood stream. This means knowing the exact carb content of each food eaten, regulating perfectly the timing between intakes of carbs, balancing in exercise levels, considering stress, illness, and other body conditions, and taking drugs or insulin to balance all this. It is amazing to me that most of us diabetics can do this reasonably well most of the time. Doing it perfectly all the time? Get real!

When I went on insulin a couple of years ago it took months of trial and error to get the dose right, but once I had that right things were pretty stable. Then there was a huge change in my stress levels and amount of sleep and also I lost a few pounds. These are all positive things, and they made changes to my metabolic processes. All good – except now the insulin doses have to be adjusted. I’m working with a doctor on that. Meanwhile, although I hadn’t had problems with hypoglycemia for more than a year, now I am having episodes again. Grrr …

Why did I have an episode yesterday? Well, maybe because I'd had less sleep the night before and/or I overestimated the amount of carbs in the NH lunch and therefore either ate too little or injected too much insulin and/or the 33 mile drive to the NH stresses me and/or I was getting more than the usual amount of activity running around the big store and/or any or all of these things meant I should have moved my afternoon snack time up. So I guess someone could say it was my fault for not managing my disease better -- but I'm sure glad no one said that in my hearing!
(2)

Shoved a pie in the oven for mum eat it dont eat it! im off out to get drunk!
(0)

No dinner tonight!!!!! mum really pissed me off today with her bad moods so ive no appetite! Borrowed money from a friend and am going to get some wine and get very drunk been a stressful week!
then her doc tomorrow if she dosnt go im going to "crack". its still the 3rd of july here!!! So happy 4th to all of you!!!!!!!
(0)

Cap and Hope!!! seriously try my smoothie in previous post! full of antioxidants gives you a real buzz!! im taking it everyday now for breakfast and i feel better also keeps the hunger at bay all morning!!
Captain going to see my "healer friend tonight" at 9pm my time dont know what time your time? BUT she will be doing a long distance healing for you! IF? you happen to notice a tingling feeling around that time let me now may aswell try anything?
(0)

Jeanne-nevermind...I looked it up online. I think I understand better now so I can be a little more understanding when sis talks about it. Hubs has never had it happen to him. Thanks for being patient.
(0)

dam,
done installed the one piece rear windshield in the gmc this am . im picking this little truck to death . its a 91 4 wd , quickly approaching the status of new ..
i dont like slider back glass . too many frame bars , too much obstruction of rear vision . besides it was tinted all to hell . 0 vision in the dark ..
(0)

Book - didn't read everyone's posts so maybe repetitive here...do you have a library you could see if they have basic cookbooks you can borrow? I would hate to see you spend money on books you will only use a few times. Once you learn how to... you will not need those books.
(1)

My diet is so horrible these days...when Mama was still eating, I always cooked balanced meals three times a day, now I am too tired and since I don't HAVE to do it, I don't...I find myself grabbing a piece of cheese and a cracker...or just drink a glass of milk. Not having the 4th of July thing this year. Did go ahead and make potato salad this morning so it will have time to be really good tomorrow. things don't change fast, potato salad may be all I have...
(2)

i need to start eating better . i feel like fatigue mixed with muscle burn , mixed with impending death but i know whats wrong . 8 hours of replacing those intake gaskets the other day simply beat me up . any time you use muscles you wouldnt ordinarily , those sh*ts are going to hurt for a while .
like cherry picking a couple weeks ago . burnt those shoulder muscles up ..
im taking another couple days off from the woodcutting . i usually dont bother customers on their holiday weekends .
gonna see alice july 5 anyway . the friend isnt going , flatline doesnt wanna go ..
ill go alone - wont be the first time . youd love the audience , its long hairs approaching 70 yrs old . lol
(1)

maine Mom i think a visit to your Dr is in order and some blood tests. maybe you are simply anaemic.
(0)

Omg, those are 3 words I would love to say, " What's for dinner"
(1)

I have two teenage boys and they do know how to cook and usually do make something for themselves if I'm not home. They are used to me doing most of the cooking however. They can do easy things for themselves but rarely will cook for everyone. I just feel like I should be the one to do it since I was raised with a stay at home mother who did it all. My responsibilities are much more since I work part time, do all the shopping, cleaning, bill paying, etc...and am now caring for her who has dementia and lives in an AL nearby. I am only 48 and feel at least 10 years older. I get stressed and overwhelmed easily wonder why I can't keep up with everything. I have friends that work full time with several kids that are more organized and full of energy. My kids are also very much into sports and I try to go to all of their games. My oldest son just graduated and will be going to college in the fall. Maybe things will ease up a bit maybe not. I feel like I'm ready to retire, however that is not going to happen for a long time. Sorry this is so depressing.
(0)

Maine, any possibility of getting the family to pitch in when it comes to meal time? There was us 8 kids. Yet, mom would kick us out of the house or to the bedroom so that she can cook. So, all 8 of us kids did not learn to cook at all. ALL of my 4 sisters learnt to cook from their spouses. I'm not married. So, I'm winging it on my own. I know several of my friends who recruited their kids (even the boys) to help with the cooking. I tell you, these young kids make some very delicious food!! By teaching them to help out the kitchen, you're not only helping them to learn how to survive when they move out - but also help you to cook less since they did it already.

Veronica, I have no problem buying used books. The 3 books I already ordered - if brand new at the bookstore would have cost me $72.00 since it's hardcovers. By buying it used, I paid a total of $24.00! That's a steal! The other 2 books - well - I'm not willing to pay $27 per book. I will google until I find a much decent price than that. Thanks for the tips! I'm going to brainstorm for next week's meal - and figure out what meat to buy. And how to cook it.
(0)

I know buying a pizza was an easy way out. To top it all off I bought a large pizza for the rest of my family whom I thought was waiting for me at home and when I got there they had already given up on me and went to KFC. It just wasn't my day. I know I need to get more organized when it comes to making meals. I get so tired of having to be the one responsible for everything. I wish I could be the one who says, "What's for supper?" and having it already done. I am feeling tired, depressed and lazy I guess.
(1)

Book if you are following directions as carefully as you are which is good practice but rarely what grandma does and you want cold water to thaw (your tap is good enough) your meat fill a bowl from the tap and throw some ice cubes in.
Don't waste too much money on cook books. Once you have mastered the basics you will find plenty of excellent recipes on the internet. Use your money to buy good quality seasonings.
There is a website called "Living on a Dime" take a look at that and see what you think. Try and plan ahead at least for the week based on the weekly store specials and do that shopping when you have time at the week end not in a rush after work. Keep staples like rice ,flour and potatoes on hand. you can add fresh or frozen veg of choice. once you have mastered a dish for example lasagna cook two pans and freeze the second for another night. It is already fully cooked so all you need to do is reheat. Make your own pizza well until you get to yeast cooking buy a ready made crust and throw your own sauce and ingredients on. baby steps Book, you are in first grade and trying to master college courses.
(1)

Self-teaching oneself to cook is getting frustrating. I jumped the gun by ordering recipes books when I should have ordered books on Very Very Very Basics on cooking. It's frustrating when I had to spend 1 hour googling how to properly defrost a frozen meat just so that I can cook it asap. I wasted that hour on the internet when i could have been cooking. Our faucet has one tap - on and off. No hot or cold option. Just what comes out of the pipe -naturally. So, when it says run the frozen meat under cold water, does that apply to just my regular tap - which it being summer time - means the water is lukewarm, not cold.

I've just ordered some very simple books With Pictures for beginners. Cooking Basics for Dummies, How to Boil Water, Betty Crocker Cooking Basics.

After I'm done changing my dad's pampers, I'm going to search the internet bookstores for a cheaper costs of 2 more books: .....How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food--With 1,000 Photos .....How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition)

I'm finding myself getting so frustrated. I was so desperate, I asked dad how did he used to cook chicken soup. Me, asking my father who is going down the road of senility. Of course he doesn't remember! Have to go....time to change his pamper.
(0)

Too tired to cook after I took my mother to see the denturist and when she got there she didn't have her partial so I had to go back and get it. Then we went to the grocery store and she didn't have her wallet so....I bought a pizza for supper and said, "good enough".
(2)

Used to love pizzas until fave sis would always bring it for lunch almost every weekend visits. And the pizza places (Pizza Hut and Dominos) pizzas are now sold undercooked. It's gross to pick up a pizza and it flops, the crust so white. My BIL always has to re-cook it. Fave niece says she now buys pizza at Little Caesar because their crust is cooked and not still doughy like the other major chains.

Dinner tonight was Wendy's chili, strawberry chicken salad and rice. Ate half tonight, the other half will be my brunch tomorrow. I didn't have enough time to buy real meat after work.
(1)

Jeanne~I have to admit that I don't understand enough about diabetes to fully appreciate how this happens. I have found that I get angry with sister who has type 2 diabetes and she suddenly has low blood sugar. I thought it was from not managing her diabetes well. Help me to understand more if possible.

Cap~Yes, all organ food is high in cholesterol. You post about your daily activities often...maybe you are burning off the cholesterol...keep having it checked.

So YES, I am going to cook chicken livers again tomorrow. The benefit is they are high in iron. I am also going to make a red, white and blue potato salad, very yummy and of course not so good on cholesterol. Hubby is going to a baseball game. am cooking just for myself. Plus...I am so bad, I went to Baskin Robbins today for an ice cream...they had my all time favorite...Mississippi Mud. I bought a quart!!!
(1)

JessieBelle, I do carry hard candies with me, and have glucose tablets in my car. Soda (we call it pop) works fine. I could have gotten some at the snack counter, or more likely asked an employee to get it for me and bring it to me, if the sample carts hadn't been handy. But it is hard to think straight in that condition. A diabetic friend carries 7-up in her large purse. Warm 7-up that has been riding around for days in my purse doesn't appeal to me at all, but it is better than fainting, I guess. My son used to carry individual serving chip bags in just the right size (about 15 grams of carbs). I don't think he is having low sugar episodes lately. I wasn't either, but I've lost a (very) few pounds and it is enough to mean I have to readjust doses again.

This sucks. But not as bad as it did before A Canadian team discovered the role insulin plays!
(2)

Jeanne, that is frightening. I've seen hypoglycemia a few times, so I always carry a glucose tube and a pack of peanut butter crackers with us when I go somewhere with my mother. The crackers have come in handy many times. I also carry a pack for myself, since sometimes I get the woozy hypoglycemic feeling. It feels awful. I am glad that you are okay.

I have one of the rescue kits of glucagon in the medicine cabinet. Sometimes I wonder if I should carry it, too.

I think if I were diabetic I would have a bottle of soda in my purse just in case. It would be a lot more tasty than a tube of glucose! I wonder if it would work well enough.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter