Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Wow Book buy all her favorite foods. To tell the truth she is probably bored out of her mind. Now she has found that there is something she has found you are prepared to admit to knowing nothing about and that you really appreciate her help. keep up the good work
(1)

I forgot to add... Guess what!? Oldest sis actually cleared the area below the microwave so that I can store one of my new cooking stuff! This is a news breaker because sis don't really do much of anything - other than babysit dad and do his laundry. I do the shower, toilet, bathroom floor, kitchen sink, kitchen floor, etc.. So, for her to actually DO some kind of cleaning - (even if it is just one shelf among sooo many) - is a Positive improvement. I must really give her lots of Positive Reinforcement to encourage her to Want to do things on her volition. =)
I asked her feedback about re-arranging the kitchen. She got excited and gave me details, which I round-aboutway told her that if we did that, I would be cooking with the pot chest level. Maybe something lower so that I can reach the pot without tiptoeing? And what about a moving table island? She got excited. YES!!! Let's hope this momentum carries her through!!!!
(1)

Dinner - leftovers from last night. Fave sis sent her daughter to drop off some BBQ meats - chicken, beef strips, and spare ribs. I ate it with my hot sauce and tried adding soy/vinegar to the avocado. I can't seem to get it right like fave sis's sauce. Mine came out so sour. too much vinegar, maybe.

Fave sis and I went shopping. I got the wok, a 3-in-one griddle/grill (I want to use the grill to try to cook some veggies like asparagus), and a spice rack. I also got some stick-its to mark the pages on the cookbooks that I would like to try.

Goal: I want to cook a delicious simple meal for fave sis and her hubby. They have done soooo much for me all these years. (It has absolutely nothing to do with sis putting me in her life insurance.... Really...) And because they know that I don't know how to cook, they always made sure there was food in their house when I visited. Even gave me the keys to their house if I ever felt the need to get away from home. I can't wait. I already want to include the chops on that menu. I now want to work on veggies. I don't recall them ever eating asparagus. I'd like to give it a try. I ate it One time at a friend's house. The Real asparagus - not the one from the can or pickled in the jar - store bought. It was delicious! She cooked it on top of the George Foreman grill. I just don't know what she did to season it.
(1)

Dinner tonight was pizza, corn chips, Doritos and more beer with a few friends. Great night. Got my mind off a few things for a while :) needed that!
(1)

Dinner was a pot luck/cookout with cousins. And beer, of course. Who needs Lasix when beer will get the system flushed out, thank you. And the alcohol in beer helps kill the germs you pick up at the buffet. Sometimes there's a mystery casserole, you need to be cautious.
(1)

Dinner? oh yes, chicken, half a baked potato and salad.
(1)

Kazzaa in a more lucid moment my mother said that now I have a farm (2 acres?) she'd like to buy me a pig. Um, nope. It would be sitting on the couch watching t.v. with me :)

After another round of reno/construction/chaos I spent most of the day sorting the garage come workshop. Oh my poor old achy bones! Went to bed after supper and slept till 10 p.m. The dogs are still in bed - they're smart. Must get back to bed soon as my muscle helper guy is coming in the morning to help me finish up and discuss the next project.

Not sure what cap's opinion would be. Probably visions of Granny Clampet lol
(1)

Capn, I ate a chicken liver last night. My mother ordered them when we went out to eat. The first taste was good, but that is one strong flavor. I was tasting chicken liver the rest of the night, even after I brushed my teeth. Reminded me of pate'.
(0)

Vidalia onions, grown in Georgia (USA) are exceptionally sweet. Onions grown in a dry summer tend to be "hot". Cooler weather, sandy soil with a low sulfur content prevents the onion from getting hot and acidic. Vidalia, Ga has low sulfur soil and the onion fields are crop rotated so onions are grown only once every three years in a plot.
(1)

chicken livaaras damnt . they smell and taste great and somehow nourish me beyond belief ..
(1)

red onions are as sweet as an apple when sauteed or fried . ill eat any onion but the red ones are hands down my favorite ..
(2)

ive had an extraordinarly fun day must have taken 6 kids for a fun ride . im thawing chicken livaars and if i didnt like em i wouldnt be thawing them . they give me energy ..
i love em , they kick ass once cooled if not cold ..
(0)

a guy who worships his automobile , imo is a superficial adolescent . one who isnt afraid to load his truck down is a realist and down to earth person . beware of the pretty boys . they dont know how to improvise and are worthless in any out of the ordinary circumstances . this world is tumultuous, it takes guts to survive . ill get you home if i have to mount a fuelcan on top of your cab and gravity fuelfeed your ass home . ive talked to enough women to know that they treasure ability . any punk can keep his hair combed to perfection but that doesnt help when times get tough ..
(2)

Raw red onlons are great in salads, especially spinach salads. Try sprinkling pecans on top. For dressing I just drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar.
(0)

Hi. I love buying a big white "sweet" onion which is crunchy and not so bitingly strong on salads, or eating it raw on a turkey burger. Tonight I made Pinto Bean burgers with quinoa flakes, garbanzo flour, ketchup, raw onion and raw garlic, all held together with one egg. For spices I put in crumbled frozen basil leaves, and some chopped "garlic scapes" I found at a farmer's market. They look like scallions. Anyway, I fried them in a little coconut oil and they were delicious!
Thank goodness I don't have to cook for anyone but myself, which enables me to go online, get ideas and experiment on myself. My Mom is in her own apartment and only likes her own food, so I stopped trying to share that with her too.
In fact there is nothing left to share with her it seems.
(1)

bkluv red onions are great raw in salads not as strong as white onions! great with tuna and mayo! I also use them in salsa!
(1)

Book, I just learned that answer for myself, from Barb. The red onions (which are actually purple) are much better for salads and for eating raw. I thought they were just prettier and mostly used the all-purpose variety. Yesterday we had sausage sandwiches and I chopped up a red onion for them. Definitely worth it. They taste good cooked, too, but their color isn't as bright then.

You know you can buy just covers for pans? If you've got a decent pan, just find a good cover for it.
(1)

I don't know where it is. It could be stored under the large bottom shelf - cluttered with junk and cockroaches/jumping lizards. I'm not about to dig under there. I did find my mom's knives set - still in the box. But 2 knives are missing. I took it out and am using it - saved me over $15.00 to buy a new set of knives.

I also found my mom's Emeril pan sets. Except I cannot find the cover for the big pots/pan. Someone walked off with that one but left the smaller cover. So, I'm still looking for a large pan with cover. Hard to simmer using that 14" pan and/or pot. Cook soup on the deep pot but no cover.

Quick question because I read over and over here - you all mention red onions. What's the difference between that and the regular onion? I just buy the regular one as an all-purpose use. Even in my salad - which comes out bitter from the onion. Have to go now....
(1)

HA! got so ingrossed in this site my mum just stuck her head around the door and said "what for dinner"!
Gosh i totally forgot about her and dinner!!!!! i am a terrible caregiver! LOL lucky she wasnt that hungry Cocktail sausages(real irish sausages) brown bread and butter and tea for her.
Tuna red onion and sweetcorn for me (no mayo sniff sniff).
(0)

Ashlynne i love your life! i want to move to the wild west and start my family.....donkeys,dogs and a pet pig!! Hopefully next year my life will be different? And yes id love an old jeep!
We have to get Caps opinion on what kinda "gal" you are? he should write a book!!
(0)

My old SUV is covered in mud and dog hair but I keep it well maintained and drive slow over these back roads out of respect for it. It's an Escape 4x4, hauls trees, shrubs, big dogs, groceries, building materials and buckets of manure for the garden. I'd certainly buy another.
(0)

Cap you are too funny! i love how you can judge a woman by her car thats hilarious!! AND saves a shit load of time!! Wish i had a quickie method of judging men last guy kept his car spotless and in good nick BUT he was a womanising A hole? BUT i suppose he had to keep his car very clean so as to get rid of the evidence!! AHA! i think im getting it!! LOL
(0)

Book do you still have Mom's old kitchen stuff? Even a rusty wok can be cleaned up and seasoned again.
(1)

Watch out Kaz the Capt may pay you a visit. you must admit he cleans up well.
(0)

Lol Kazz, you should go on " Top Gear " Are you " The Stig"?
(0)

one with exiting potential , kaz ..
(0)

Ok Cap! I change my oil, fixed a snapped fan belt with my stocking, can change a tyre in 0.3 seconds have had 3 cars in my life and kept them in good nick until sold for scrap!! NOW what kinda woman am i??? LOL
(1)

kaz,
working on automobiles doesnt have to be a guy thing . try telling one of my sons that the kitchen is a womans domain. they both know better . when i work on a car for a woman , shes there helping and learning how to do it herself the next time . it makes them apreciate how delicate machinery is , how difficult it is to repair and hopefully makes them treat the machine more kindly in the future .
if i see a half inch of brake dust on a potential romantic interests front wheels it tells me everything i need to know about her . shes a gas , brake , honk , nondriving idiot . an aggressive driver and probably an inconsiderate prick in everything she does . same goes for a guy but since men have to maintain machinery you dont see men mistreating machinery all that often .
i appreciate a bit of finesse in either gender .
ive owned ike for 29 years and have never crammed the rpm's over 4 k altho the owners manual says its ok to hit red line at 9 thousand rpm's occasionally .
na, not with my connecting rods you dont ..
(0)

Thanks, Jeanne. My mom had the carbon steel (?). And I do recall that she needed that circle ring that she set the wok on. Her wok had these grooved rings inside the wok. I won't get the non-stick woks. You're right, with those non-sticks, you're not suppose to cook too high and too prolonged on it. I never even heard of an electric wok until sis mentioned it.
(1)

bookluvr, I use my wok several times a week. It is one of the most versatile pots I have. I started with an electric one (before I took stir-fry classes). Not a good plan. And don't get one that claims "even cooking" -- that is against the principle of wok cooking, which is to have a hot spot on the bottom and less heat as you go up the sides. Carbon-Steel is good for this. For American stoves, don't get one with a rounded bottom that requires a ring to set it on -- definitely you'll want a flat bottom. Read and follow the directions for seasoning the pan BEFORE you use it. Even if you like a non-stick coating on your other pans, don't get a coated wok (you'll want something you can use at high heat, and also something you can use lots of different metal utensils in.) I like a long handle while cooking and a smaller handle on the opposite side for lifting the wok and pouring food out.

If you have a choice in sizes, big is good! You'll want a cover. You don't always use it, but often you want to partially steam the vegetables.

To see what a good wok (by my standards) looks like, look up Joyce Chen Flat-Bottom Wok. The very good news is that a very useful wok like this is often the least expensive you will find! How often is THAT true?
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter