Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I made a comfort food hotdish for dinner. In fact I made two pans, and took one over to a friend's house where the husband has just received a distressing diagnosis. I know how that can throw the household into chaos, and I wanted to provide a familiar "normal" alternative to eating peanut butter out of the jar or simply skipping meals.
(3)

Ice Cream.
(2)

150 lb scarecrows can have heart attacks, too. But, captain, I'm seriously skeptical of the need to restrict the cholesterol we eat. Our bodies make their own cholesterol if we give them the right (wrong) kinds of fats. You could branch out a little in your protein source, though. :D

I didn't have to cook tonight. Granddaughter's husband invited the family over for dinner to celebrate GD's birthday. He might have been inspired by the cookout his BIL gave for his wife's bd a few weeks ago. The pasta, marinara sauce, meatballs, and Italian sausage were fine. What I liked even better was establishing some expectations for men in the family or potentially in the family regarding wives birthdays. (3 grandkids brought dates.)

Tomorrow is set aside for baking all day.
(1)

im having fried chicken livers . doc says they are high in cholesterol -- shes saying that to a 150 lb scarecrow ..
meh ..
(3)

Boy! I'm getting hungry probably have left over chicken fajitas Ole!
(1)

Boy! I'm getting hungry probably have left over chicken fajitas Ole!
(1)

Keeping it easy tonight. Green peppers and eggs on English muffins.....maybe a little cheddar cheese too.
(1)

My friend lives near a great Mexican market, so when I took her home yesterday I stopped in for tomatillos, awesome chorizo, and some cheese and jalapenos. I didn't think ahead to bring a list, but I had enough ingredients today to make a wonderful batch of Chorizo Skillet and Tomatillo Salsa -- both recipes from a class Barb and I took this summer. That is one awesome supper!

The first time I made the salsa I coughed and coughed and choked while the jalapenos and tomatillos were boiling. This time I knew enough to open windows and put on the exhaust fan. I was hugely glad to be able to shut the windows and turn on the AC when they were done!
(1)

Spent the whole day with a long-time friend, in a small town about an hour from here known for its antique stores. I bought a few small objects -- a tea cup, some doilies -- and she didn't buy a thing all day! We were both amazed. I had a steak sandwich, cole slaw, and onion rings for lunch, and a nice salmon salad and breaded mushrooms for dinner. We had a good day!
(3)

Fresh shredded cabbage is a great substitute for lettuce on a sandwich, it has more crunch and it is sweeter. I wish they would use it on sub sandwiches.
(1)

Mmmm corned beef and cabbage - wish it was St Paddy's day!
(1)

Couldn't wait for dinner. I had My first ripe tomato in my BLT for lunch. SO good!
Got a small hanger steak marinating and will make a salad to go with it. Yes, Moms at sisters tonight. I Love to eat in silence!
(2)

Boni, your dinner made me start craving for ribs. And asparagus, too! Too bad it's costly to buy ribs when eating out at restaurants. Dinner tonight was take out. I was craving some Wendy's chili. Last time I got it, it was watery. Tonight, it was so thick and filled with lots of meat and beans. Yum! I'll take thick chili anytime. I also got a side salad - and was able to meet my budget of $5.00. I was full and still have left over chili. I got the wrong salad - this one was just plain leaves and 1 tomato. The last time I got a salad, it was colorful. I'll have to remember to get the Garden salad not the caesar salad.
(1)

Sallie, that sounds absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try it. I love cabbage, too. :)
(0)

I love cabbage too. I slice rounds an inch thick rub roasted garlic on it salt and pepper and olive oil. Wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil, put on cookie tray and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Yum!
(3)

There are just some leftovers that are better the next day! My favorite kind of meal is assorted leftovers (especially after Thanksgiving.) Tonight I am having movie popcorn, it is so hot here I have to escape to the theater for some mindless entertainment.
(3)

Mexican bake,,, and I found out I was out of some things when I started, but it is still great! And Mom made fried green tomatoes.. I actually liked them. And while picking throught my 100 GREEN tomatoes I finally found 2 that are turning pink!! I was about to give up on them turning red this year. Best crop in years.. all still green
(2)

I'm having a delicious vegetable lasagna that's left over from dinner yesterday. It has onions, garlic, zucchini and summer squash, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, spinach,and tomatoes in it. It was yummy yesterday when I made it and I'm thinking it will be even better today as left-overs!
(3)

In case anyone is wondering if Friendly's new flavor ,black cherry, chocolate chip, is any good, the answer is......
wait for it........
AWESOME!
(4)

Captain, my cobbler recipe called for 2 cups of cherries but the picture looked too cakey to me. I used 4 cups. Perfect! Strong fruit? Bring it on! :)

Glad you are trying breakfast. Hope it becomes a habit.
(1)

sautéed some fresh haddock, wax beans from the garden and home fries. The tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. When my sis was here I stopped and picked up a homemade but frozen pecan pie when we went to Door County and baked it. Really good! Thankfully I did a 4.5 mile walk this morning.
(3)

cherries are strong jeanne . think plenty of pastry or crumb crust with minimal cherries . i had a half pint of just canned cherries with sugar yesterday morning just to see if breakfast really would perk a person up . it sure did . a coworker of mine keeps telling me i need fruit for energy and vitamins . by dam he just might be right .
(1)

I was lucky there were plenty of ribs last night, so when Brother insisted I take home some leftovers I told him to try and stop me! Even better than yesterday, Yum.
(1)

Sloppy Joe's !!!
(1)

Went to a pow wow today. Had an ear of roast corn and an Indian taco on fry bread. Great weather, great day.
(5)

Fresh Italian sausage smothered in sautéed onions and sweet red and yellow bell peppers. I always add a little ground fennel to it and sprinkle on some Goya 'Sazonador Total'. Rolls fresh from the bakery at Tops. Fresh sweet corn, locally grown. Santa Rosa Plums for dessert. Pure culinary Heaven.
(3)

Brother picked us up and took us to his home for dinner. Ribs that literally melted in your mouth, grilled asparagus and portabellas, Tomato and mozzarella salad with fresh basil from my garden and roasted potatoes. Yum. I saved a little room for Ice Cream.
(2)

Vegetarian sandwich - keeping it simple. The casserole sounded so good it made my stomach rumble. I love stacked tortillas, cheese, beans - melted in a casserole-yummy.
(1)

I sat down with my 2 tuna sandwich (decided to add olives in it). I couldn't eat it in peace without offering sis. I got up and knocked on her bedroom door. Offered her a sandwich. I was so hoping she would say no. She took one. I ate mine. And my stomach is still hungry. So, I made just a plain salami/bread sandwich. Stomach feels better now.
(1)

Just finished dad's pamper for the night. 930pm and haven't eaten dinner. Stomach is hurting. It's a struggle. And I do my best to not be so resentful of sis. The other day, when I arrived home after work, sis told me that she already cooked the meat and ate dinner. I was hoping she also cooked enough to include for me. I checked for any pot, pan on the single burner or food in the micro. Nothing.

Tonight, I have no appetite but my stomach is hurting because it's empty. So, although I'm not hungry, I will have to force myself to eat. After I shower, I'm going to make a sandwich. I was torn between tuna sandwich with lots of onions and black pepper in it. Or salami and egg sandwich. I will decide while I'm showering. The thing is... I feel so obligated to make enough for sis. Yet she rarely thinks of me when she makes her own food. Ha! Tuna sandwich. I just remembered I have an unopened can of pringle chips.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter