Follow
Read More
Thats cause "I'm on the highway to hell" ....... the highway to hell ..... now that song will stick in ur mind.
(0)

Costco pizza. Very, very long drive back front doctor visit/nh today.
(3)

youtube/watch?v=JGftIcp2SC0

shes got a tou -- ouch , a touch too much ..
(0)

im having iced coffee and chicken pumps . there is some serious rain about to start here .
d*mnt hadnuff . your screenname compels me to listen to " touch too much " by ac dc .. i had some kind of cracked out salad at nh yesterday . i recognized mayo , raisins , broccoli . it really wasnt bad ..
(0)

Asian pears are great in a salad also. I use spinach and asian pears and maybe some toasted walnuts in a light dressing. Delicious.
(0)

i love pears . i have a dwarf japanese pear tree .
i had jail food tonight -- from ednas nh . chicken salad sandwich . it wasnt very good , too sour, but it brought back a great memory of moms last 3 months of life . i was making some kicka** chicken salad and serving it on halves of brotchen rolls . mom and the hospice visitors complimented the food after they were done eating . they were so good that nobody said a word while eating them ..
i took edna a slice of restaurant coconut cream pie this evening . an old lady who was sitting in the hall with edna said she loved coconut so i gave her half of ednas slice of pie . i made two people happy for 3 bucks and 55 cents . thats pretty good economics ..
(3)

The best pears in the world are Rivera from Harry and David's. OK, I'll admit I have not tried every kind of pear in the world, but those are spectacular.

And speaking of spectacular, my gazpacho was awesome tonight! Grilled cheese with bacon sandwiches set it off just fine. :)
(0)

once in a while the Asian pears you can get at the supermarket are really good too. And fresh mango never fails if you need a healthy treat!
(1)

A business client (Korean) dropped by our office yesterday. He gifted us a box full of yellow pears from Korea. It's big. I just measured it. 13 inch round. The boss gave me 5. Yesterday, I cut into it - so easily. Much easier than an apple. I bit into it. YUM!!! It tasted soooo sweet - like an apple. And so juicy - like watermelon. And the skin is so soft, easy to chew. I ate 1/2 yesterday, and the other half today. I now have 4 left. I WAS planning to give some to bro next door. I changed my mind. Delicious. I'm planning to eat some more later tonight when my midnight snack craving hits. FYI, I googled it. It's called Japanese/Korean pears, or Asian pears. If you ever visit the Oriental market and you find one, I recommend you give it a try.
(3)

next year might see me with a garden too . for now im eating red beans right out of the can . bought something special today tho . chicken gizzards . by d*mm theyre cheaper than livers .
yea, i do love a stir fry . was making them for mom a lot in her last few months . potato, chicken breast , onion , green beans, brocc , caulif , carrot . she loved fried potato wedges too . not terribly healthy but good tasting .. i dont have anyone to cook for -- takes the fun right out of it ..
(1)

Lots of good stuff from farmers' market yesterday. I plan on stir-fry, ratatouille, and gazpacho with it. Tonight was the stir-fry. It was great.

Captain, if you have the ability to fry chicken, why can't you prepare a stir-fry meal, with healthy fresh veggies? All in one pan on one burner. Your body would thank you! :)
(3)

I'm still on the tomato kick. They are almost gone. BLT for lunch, caprice salad for dinner. Eggplant will be ready soon. I see lots of Parmesan and rollitini in my future.
(4)

jeanne , i just dont have a functioning kitchen yet . my youngest son built a kitchen counter in here years ago but it has a lavatory sized sink in it . you can imagine what a hassle it is to wash a pan , etc . i read a good cracked magazine article today that applies to me . if your trying to fix things in your life its going to take some time , was the gist of it . another year might see me with a bedroom , in essence freeing up the living room space , a root cellar in service and a nice kitchen with a lot of counter ( breadmaking ) space .
just greasy fried chicken for now .
(1)

Meatball sub and potato chips - sometimes you just gotta have a sub : ) .
(3)

Last night's $5 deli chicken served 2 of us, and tonight it served 4 more, as hot bbq chicken sandwiches and cold chicken spread sandwiches. Not bad economy, eh? We had Jarlsberg cheese, avocado, red onion, a tomato for the sandwiches and creamed spinach, and mushroom stuffing for the sides. Hooray for leftovers! We had Sweet Martha's cookies, just like they sell at the state fair, with whole milk for dessert.

There are a bazillion ways to fix chicken if you get bored, captain. What did you have with it?
(2)

Tonight is vegetarian--grilled red peppers stuffed w/onions, zucchini, mushrooms, a few sun dried tomatoes. And served w/couscous. Haven't had that in a while :)
(2)

i fried chicken tonight -- boring but cheap . im ready to remodel the kitchen and break a bedroom off the side of the bunker . with a metal roof , ill be able to hear the thunderstorms again . i have a good plan now but ill be collecting materials till wintertime . after the plan , engineering the cost out of it is the next step . customer is building a 5k sq ft house . i can build my bedroom with his rejected , flawed lumber .
(2)

Hi everyone!!

we are having chicken breast fillets sauted in olive oil, steamed broccoli, and 2 potatoes peeled, cubed, boiled and after draining the water, add some butter and salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Very simple, takes about 30 minutes to make.
(2)

There was a great chicken place in Virginia Beach that served deep fried biscuits and Honey. They called them Puffs. They are one of the very few things I miss about VB.
(2)

I was lazy tonight. Had my husband get fried chicken and cole slaw. I did make cornbread though, can't have fried chicken without home made cornbread :)
(3)

I wish we could post pictures here. Tonight is Fathead Pizza Night at our house.
Recipe link:

Mom is slowly getting on board with eating healthier (meaning lower carbs, less starch and sugars). She has even started to lose some weight, without having to exercise (which is good, because she can't) and she likes most of what I cook. She still bucks me on the fruit juice and fruits, but we've cut way back on them - she used to eat 3-4 bananas a day - now she eats just 1.

This pizza is a *great* substitute for the wheat flour crust pizza that we normally order, with far fewer carbs. The crust actually crisps up like a thin crust pizza would! It's a keeper. :-)
(3)

my oldest son " got me " for the whole wheat brotchen recipe complete with a training lesson this summer . i think ill start locking the door when i sleep now because the boys have no further reason to keep me alive .
(2)

ba8alou, I missed that particular treat, too. It was Swedish meatballs and tater tots on a stick, hand dipped in a corn dog batter, then deep fried. I'm not sure it would be worth the belly space it would take up, but I hope you get to decide for yourself next year!

Tonight I had a huge bag of spinach I wanted to use up, so I made creamed spinach for the first time. It won't be the last.

I intended to to make chicken strips with barbecue sauce (leftover from the pork) but an upscale grocer near us has $3 off their rotisserie chickens on Fridays (5-buck clucks, they call them) and it is hard to pass that up and go for raw chicken. But I did serve it with the homemade sauce. That counts, right?

And I sauteed fresh mushrooms in olive oil and added them and dried cherries to a box of stuffing mix.

It was a pretty impressive dinner for not much money. Only the creamed spinach was a little work, but not too much.
(2)

I understand that there was Fried Hotdish on a stick this year, too at the State Fair. I miss going to that fair every year...maybe next summer.
(0)

pamstegman: You made me smile tonight! Thank you!

What is for dinner! To have one night where we all show joy, and do something small for us "comfort food". Remember everyone cares, and everyone needs love!

Thank you BoniChak

That reminds me, when I was a little girl, I used to like this great dish that my mother made (87 Alzheimer's, in Memory care), it was called Bon Ami? I know that is closed to the cleanser. But it was a mixture of chinese noodles, egg soufle sliced; tomato slices; sliced ham; soy sauce to taste, and bok choy. It was served on a huge platter, and all of my family had this each 10/26. This continued until my mother was 80, and I know she would laugh and smile if I told her about this, which I will tomorrow. My mother was all about comfort. She was the comfort for all of us, that is happy. :-) I am going to ask my sister the recipe and make it tomorrow!!!!
(1)

im canning apples tonight . theyll probably appear in cinnamon rolls this winter but i can use them over pancakes until then . 14 quarts tonight , bout another 14 left to cut up and can .
with the electricity you use i dont think canning is a real bargain , its just soothing to have plenty of preserved food on the place in case there were problems with supply .
(2)

Tonight was strips of pork tenderloin in a homemade spicy barbecue sauce. New and good! Garlic mashed potatoes, a knock-off recipe of Red Lobster's cheese biscuits (awesome) and fresh oranges.

I'm going to try another new recipe tomorrow, for artichoke mushroom beef stew. I'll bet the biscuits would go with that, too. Or I could use some lefse I bought at the state fair.
(0)

That sounds like a great combination, Jeanne. I think we just winged it that night -- had leftover chicken, or something like that...
(0)

looloo, what did you serve with your gazpacho? I'm thinking of cheddar biscuits . . .
(1)

Jeannegibbs -- I did make gazpacho a few nights ago! Perfect summer meal!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter