Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I had no one to cook for today, so I took a leave from the kitchen. For lunch I had a half a sleeve of Ritz cracker with Nutella and a lovely large pear, even though I had lots of nutritious leftovers on hand.

I haven't gone out to eat much since I became a boarding house mistress. I love cooking. I am good at it. Usually I like what I cook better than the way a restaurant does it and my version is generally healthier. But once in a while it is nice to sit down to a menu someone else has thought up, shopped for, cooked, serves, and cleans up after. Tonight I took a novel to a local Chinese place and had hot and sour soup and Grand Chicken, spiced 3 on a scale of 0 to 5. It was a quiet Monday night. Several carry-out customers came in and one other table was filled in the dining room. I read my book in peace and enjoyed being waited on.

Back to my own kitchen tomorrow.
(3)

Juju good for the woman you met. She certainly sounds as through she is her own person. That kind of life would be my dream but it is not going to happen now so just like to read about other peoples adventures. Good for you for getting out and about.
(1)

Glad to hear you are home Boni. Go easy on the food. little and often works best. Don't spend too much time in bed up and walking around as much as you are able. It's good to loose some weight but muscle wasting takes a long time to undo. Been there done that and a year later still recovering. Enjoy that chicken I can almost small it!
(2)

apple kraut sounds good but give someone else my portion of sweet potatoes . i just do not care for those slimy sob's ..
im gonna fry pork but the assinine renter isnt home yet so i cant reset the breakers that i knocked out sawing concrete . im stealing power from the oven light , and soon the 220 volt water heater . lighting is getting scarce around here . might light a stove fire just for the light .. i have cords running around here like mexico city in the wintertime ..
(1)

I had a great day: off in the New England countryside, dancing to an African drummer at a local organic farm. Met cool people, walked through the outdoor sculpture show, had a blast. Came home hungry: at leftovers of vegetable stir fry, mashed sweet potatoes, and the last of my apple sauerkraut.

I met a woman in her 60's who lived in a RV and traveled the country with her 3 dogs. She had sold her home after a divorce and chose the life of a gypsy. Very interesting and free minded lady. She had no elders to take care of. I didn't ask if she had children.
(1)

sugar free pudding , italian ices ? f it , kill me now ..
i wanna go to jeannes house for dinner . make your own taco ? im thinkin just use the taco shells for a scoop.. ive never bought refried beans , i just run over red beans with the truck and toss em in the stirfry ..
(0)

I am up in my room while bro and sil are cooking a delicious smelling roast chicken dinner. I'm still going to eat it on a tray in bed, but I'm sure it will be the best thing I've eaten all week. They had sugar free pudding and Italian ices in the hospital. Not Ice cream, but not bad. I can do this.
(4)

The two young great-grandsons were here again tonight, and will be tomorrow for the last time this instance. We had build-your-own taco salads which were, and I quote, "amazing"! :)

I'm going to do a hot dish called Taco Square tomorrow, using up some of the items I prepared for tonight.

I loved having them here. I found it a real chore to cook night after night for a couple added people. Both of their parents work, and I can't imagine how they get home from work and get a meal on the table every night! I know I did it in my time ... it helps when youth is on your side. :D I hope they had a real fun anniversary trip.
(2)

And love me some New Orleans faire, been there, 2nd time just for the food!!
(2)

Man the casserole was so bad, hoped it would get better on the 2nd day. Nope, mom would not even eat it and she will eat about anything with her diminished taste buds! The dogs thought it was delish!!!
(4)

you should try nh food boni . sometimes my aunt will try to cut up some kind of rubbery pork or something similar with her butter knife and the sidelong looks she gives me are nothing short of hilarious . she aint going to complain , being an easy going and content person but she isnt going to eat the crap either . its just the wordless conversation between us that bout blows coffee out my nose every time . tasteless , bland , too weak , pee warm coffee . lol
i made rice with cooked apples in it tonight . edna loves it so much she'll ration it to herself for 3 days even if i tell her theres a gallon of it at home .. when edna is no longer around i really wont have anyone to cook for and ill probly just go back to eating bark off my firewood every night . it takes absolutely NO preperation and after a hard day of beating on rocks thats what i want ..
(1)

I'm exhausted from cooking, and stuffed from eating. In other words, it was a good day. :)

I've only been to New Orleans twice. Coy and I took a class at the New Orleans Cooking School, where we watched a very entertaining cooking demo, ate what was prepared, and got the recipes. The Jambalaya was usually Coy's specialty when we had Mardi Gras parties. I made it today along with a Creole salad and Chocolate Lava Cake with ice cream. The J recipe makes a humongous amount. Since we did it for parties I never bothered to modify it. And I made the whole thing today because I plan to take it to my friend whose husband has cancer tomorrow.

I had my two young great-grandsons again tonight for dinner. They are pretty adventurous eaters and they liked everything. I'm sure my friends will tomorrow, too.
(2)

Hard to read off phone. But I found this thread to tell you......HOSPITAL FoOD. SUCKS!!!! Love u all. Expect to be out of icu tomorrow and home sat or sun. They are putting mom in NHL for two weeks
(3)

Boni.. What do u call a boomerang that doesn't return...?

A stick... Lol sorry best i could come up with on the gray Chicago morn

Remember she who laughs, lasts! Peace out girl & keep on truckin...
(3)

I put seasoned bread crumbs on top.....chips would be yummy!
well here's a link to an article about some upcoming movies touching on caregivers, thought i would post here, for "dinner and a movie nite"

delawareonline/story/news/health/2014/09/22/new-movies-explain-caregiving-real-work/16073381/

Book, love me some Tony Roma's, yummy!!!
(0)

I'm off this week from work. The last time I had a week off, I gave sis off on Tuesday and Thursday. When I went back to work, I didn't feel like I had a vacation. So, this vacation leave, I did not tell her. I know that she also needs a vacation from Dad but... I need it more from her. I spent all day Tuesday sick in bed. Wednesday, I left the house despite a severe headache. Today, Thursday, I had lunch at 2pm with fave sis and her 2 adult daughters at Tony Roma's. I was still full from eating my omelet breakfast at Denneys. I could only eat 3 of the delicious ribs. Yum! So, I took the 3 leftovers for dinner.

Except I'm feeling so guilty. So, I came home (pretending to be going to work each day while on my vacation) 'after work' and told sis that I couldn't finish my lunch. She can have my baby back ribs. {sob, delicious ribs, sob} She then volunteered and offered me her spam kelaguen (just spam straight from the can, uncooked, in lemon juice and fresh squashed peppers.) That was my dinner - a very very salty spam meal. She didn't even put in any chopped onions. I have a feeling I will be having a Cup-o-Noodle tonight around 10pm.
(0)

Dang. Now I am actually hungry for old-fashioned tuna-noodle hotdish.
(1)

Egg noodles are what I use in tuna hotdish. Did you put crushed potato chips on top, juju? That really added class when I was in college. :)
(1)

Ya Boni had some delicious sounding stuff. she may have to cut back on somethings....
cap. I didn't even think of celery and had it in the fridge. I used frozen mixed veggies, like I remember from my youth, cream of mushroom and season salt n pepper. Also used whole wheat pasta and that may be partial to the odd flavor.....celery and celery soup next time, if there is a next time!!!
(0)

juju,
maybe your tuna casserole needed cream of celery soup .. to be so dam bland raw , celery comes alive when cooked ..
(0)

In honor of Boni, I'll tell you about dinner tomorrow. It's Rosh Hasannah, the beginning of the Jewish year. I'm making gingered carrot soup, breast of veal with potato stuffing, a roasted turkey breast with rosemary and thyme, quinoa with dried fruits and brussel spouts. And chocolate babka.
(2)

Oh Chinese sounds so good right now...I thru together a tuna casserole and it is not so good, I am forcing it down. Great a whole big casserole of yuck! oh well
(0)

First of, I love deep fried calamari. No one here seems to understand how important the breading and black pepper is. Sea salt for good luck!

jeanne, I love those pioneer cook books!! Dad and mom have several that are 100 years old. Depending on you location, it is AWESOME! Plus...sauerkraut, to me, is the best meat topping ever!

I did not cook tonight. Stopped at a lovely Chinese place and got a large won ton soup, veggie chop suey and moms fav, orange chicken. We love to combine all of it into one large yummy soup.... oh yeah. Delish!
(2)

when boni gets home she'll probably be on a diet of sliced raw turnips . ice with no cream .
boni is a helluva good cook , just funnin with her ..
im not eating tonight . ive recovered back up to 178 lbs from near 150 during treatment so im back to eating only when i feel the need to . usually only in the evenings ..
(1)

I had Barb's grandsons here for dinner, nice youngsters barely into their teens. We had some fresh fruit, fresh sauerkraut (they didn't care for it) and quiche. I gave them very small slices of the quiche since they had never had it. They loved it so they also had large slices. Not knowing how well the quiche would go over I also made a recipe for maccarony cheese -- updated slightly from a pioneer cookbook. They liked that, too. Plus broccoli. And ice cream bars. And all the mini candy bars they could fit into their pockets on the way home. :)

I used the mac & cheese as an opportunity to explain what "stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni" means. (You know, right?)
(2)

Today I quick fried 2 calamari steaks, romaine lettuce salad with cucumber, green onion, and tomato, and broccoli. It won't be the last time I cook calamari...very yummy...dipped in egg w/ salt, pepper, cayenne...then breaded in Italian bread crumbs.
(1)

Ha! Too funny jeanne... bet they don't give her the beloved ice cream ;)
(1)

Boni, when you are back in commission, we want to hear about the hospital food!

We had porterhouse steak, sauteed mushrooms, hasselback potatoes, iceberg lettuce wedge salads with blue cheese, fresh homemade peanut butter cookies and Ben& Jerry's peanut butter cup ice cream. Whew! Not a difficult dinner (except to pay for it)!
(2)

Yes, Cap, people actually eat cranberry sauce! I happen to love it, only the jellied kind, not the whole kind blech blech blech... sure wish I had some tonight cuz I slow roasted some jumbo turkey legs!
(1)

Right, Pam, pumpkin pie is your veggie. :)

Cranberry sauce, captain? When I get the hot turkey sandwich blue plate special at the local cafe I get extra cranberry sauce. I'm bummed that the only time of year the groceries have the good stuff in the winter holidays.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter