Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
that unwanted animal was enough to kill you boni . i certainly cant take that crap . people first .
(1)

Boni, am sending lots of sugar free hugs to you !!!! Many adjustments to go thru all at once.... on top of not being with your mom.... it has only been a short while and you will discover what you need to eat, how and when...it takes time to learn and to unlearn.... just know that you have a lot of love and support here and you know I love you... we belong to the TOB club, remember.... yes, you have had the stuffing knocked out of you and have adjustments to make...... be easy on yourself..... trying to put myself in your place.... I would be depressed also..... so don't let that go too long without addressing it with your Dr.... wish I was there.... at least you would be laughing..... love ya TOB !!!
(3)

Actually the diabetes is the main issue to be handled first. My heart attack was very serious ( the widow maker) but they got to it just in time and it's in better shape now than it's been in years. The clot was removed and stents were put in. I stopped smoking (except for a few slips) and the Dr. doesn't even want to see me for a month.
My sugar ,on the other hand, was over 400. I'm on metformin and insulin, but diet wise, getting the diabetes under control is the top priority. I am also doing low fat and salt for my heart, but I can't do it all at once.
Food and cigarettes are my only pleasures in life....so It is very difficult and I am going through a very deep depression. Add in the guilt of having to put Mom in a home, while I recuperate and it's just a bit worse. The only good news, and Capt will appreciate this, the pee and poop machine (the dog, not Mom) is GONE!
(3)

Yes i agree, fat is more of an issue than carb's or just as much for heart patients! Why does everything that taste good have to be bad for you!! darn it! I have heard it only takes a couple weeks to retrain your tastebuds, but I wouldn't know, lol!!! I feel ya boni, When asked the best natural help for my issues I was told simply healthy weight and diet would do wonders....like don't you think i would have already if i could, hahaha!!! Heaven help all the foodies out there!
XOXOX boni! take care best you can and that is all you can do!!!
(1)

Susan good ideas for Boni for low carb but she has just had a heart attack healthy veg is about all she qualifies for I am afraid. Green leafy veg are also off the the list if she is taking a blood thinner.
Did the hospital give you a diet plan Boni this is a whole life change but you can do it. While you are out in the woods bring back some wild game thats low in fat and delicious. Hugs and Luv.
Oh Turkey bacon may be OK as long as it is low salt. it just gets worse so I will give up.
(0)

Actually, sugar free and low-carb is not bad at all. There are a TON of food options that people just don't realize. If you can't have full sugar items, sugar free jello is a great choice. You have to change your mindset when going low-carb and look at what you *can* have (bacon, butter, cheese, steak, healthy veggies, etc) and not what you can't.
(0)

Funny you should say that. I was just looking for my gun.
(0)

Oh dear Boni you might as well go out and shoot yourself now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of Hugs No carbs in imagining food.
(0)

? sugar free jello ? might be fun in the bathtub with your SO , but i cant imagine eating it .
im gonna try to time dinner with edna at nh . they will feed me for free and it can count towards my quota of self abuse for today . i pretent its good , the cooks appreciate it . i dont pretend that its great , then id just be dishonest and they wouldnt have ANY respect for me .
got 48 qts of apples canned so far . i dont even particularily like the sob ' s but theyll beat the hell out of eating snow balls this winter .
(1)

I have a ton of recipes for low-carb, Boni, if you're interested!
(0)

Boni - just a heads up, tomatoes and cheese *do* have carbs. All dairy has carbs, due to it being made from milk, which contains lactose (milk sugar). The average slice of tomato has 1-2 carbs, 1/4 cup of feta would have an average of 2 carbs, and an average slice of mozzarella would have 1 carb. Not huge on carbs, but they are there, if you're counting. Also, the sugar free chocolate pudding can be a problem if you're counting carbs - it's thickened with starch, so that's not a good choice for low-carb. Sugar free jello with a dab of real whipped cream (not cool whip or reddi whip) would be a good choice. :-)

No offense, just trying to help. Really watching carbs here myself.
(0)

Hum Boni Cheese? How is your cholesterol? sorry if i rained on your parade. But we do care out her in the wilderness and glad to hear you more cheerful. Keep up the good work. I will start to moan big time if I get a positive diagnosis for Celiac disease!!!!!!!!
(0)

The last of the home grown tomatoes, sliced thick, arranged in small baking dish,drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil. Cover with a few thin slices of feta, and cover the feta with mozzarella. Broil till Moz melts....tomatoes still cool. Yum...NO carbs. And a sugar free chocolate pudding. Not so yum, but ok.
(4)

Left overs was today dinner. I love to have some cookies, but can't talk hubby into making them. LOL (I should not have any, anyway. ) lol
(0)

Friday nite treat, Shredded Beef Nacho's from El Azteca!
(1)

Well am very tired as I work fulltime in a health care facility. On my day off am going to order and have delivered at home Chinese food. I know one choice would be barbeque ribs and for the entree shrimp fried rice.
I like to cook though and enjoy my own home cooking .
(1)

ive eaten exactly nothing yet today . i have the " pinch " at my waist line that tells me if i need to eat or not and it tells me im fine . cousin terry was mistaken about there being pears on his tree so i brought home ten gallon of great looking green apples instead . make no mistake , theses s*its are going into mason jars TONIGHT ,. its gonna rain overnight and i wont be bush hogging tomorrow so apple canning it is. i aint the prodigal son . i shant feast from the mast ( acorns ) for long . verily i say f*ck thee ..
man these are nice apples , ill bet theyre good for baking .
i did make me a pear picker but it ended up an apple picker , the pears were gone weeks ago .
(2)

Pam, I had pasta tonight, too. Scaloppine di Pollo -- which has chicken and artichokes and capers and bacon in a lemon butter sauce, with angel hair pasta. Rich and awesome. With a flourless chocolate torte, whipped cream, and a few fresh berries. Mmmmm.

I had a couple over for dinner, trying to get back into the habit of entertaining, to have an incentive for housecleaning, and combat my depression. It was partially successful (I dusted the dining room) and I enjoyed their company.
(0)

Linguine in white clam sauce. Take a can of baby clams, drain off the juice, then thicken it with butter & flour, add a minced onion and stir to a boil. Turn off the heat, throw clams back in and stir. Pour over al dente Linguine and top with grated romano. ((burp))
(1)

Cap, hope Edna comes through that situation ok....she must be pretty uncomfortable right now, poor thing.

Dinner tonight was canned soup. Not my favorite, and not the best for us, but I have far too much other stuff going on to cook right now.
(1)

Today, I went to the store and bought a few things to make dinner the next few days. Then I called my son and and left him a message to pick up two cans of puree for me, to make spaghetti for dinner one day.( he didn't get my message. He will pick up tomorrow) Well, today we had beef and gravy with mash potatoes and corn. Where I had not ate much in the last three days, I was starving. But was not able to finish my plate (but hubby finished it for me. LOL) Oh yea, I went to the store to get some pop and milk. Forgot the pop and milk. LOL Anyway, tomorrow will be stew, maybe pinto beans on Friday and Saturday Spaghetti (or Friday Spaghetti and Saturday Beans). Each day my lunch will be what ever is left over from the night before. I will say it was good today, but tummy said "I am to small now, can't eat much" lol
(1)

i had acorns for breakfast . these come from a white oak and theyre just not as bitter as most . i like them .
cuz terry gave me a bag of apples so i came home and canned 7 more quarts. he says he has a loaded pear tree . i plan to look into that tomorrow after work . i love canned pears but they are about 1.25 a ( small ) can . you guessed it -- i aintta paying it , let em keep em " ..
stopped at the farm store to buy a fruit picking pole tonight . 14 bucks .
see ; " i aintta payin it " above . i have a 16 ft painter pole and ill make a picking head for it out of a 5 qt motor oil jug tomorrow . im deadly serious about getting me some pears ..
got the drain fitting for my new kitchen sink on the way home tonight . its lifechanging to have a good kitchen sink . my previous one was a lavatory . impossible to wash dishes in . i dont actually have dishes . it was impossible to wash pans in ..
edna has edema in one leg . a blood clot is restricting a vein . very dangerous . theyre giving her injections to break up the clot , aspirin daily afterwards to thin her blood . im really worried that a crippling stroke will wreck her QOL . it really isnt bad right now , she just dont have strength to walk anymore .
(2)

Boni, have one of Captain's Alice B. Toklas brownies and you'll be fit as a fiddle.
(1)

Last night I made a pork stir-fry with sweet ginger sauce. I played with my new julienne gadget and cut carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash in thin strips, used up the red and green bell peppers I'd chopped for Mexican dinners, and also used up some chopped tomatoes and cilantro. I loved the experience of dining out the night before, but this stir-fry was really better tasting. :)

Tonight was a meat-and-potatoes night, which I don't do real often. A pork roast in the crock pot, with chopped cranberries, honey, orange zest, nutmeg and cloves. It smelled like winter holidays in here all day!. The veggie was roasted cabbage with dijon mustard and caraway seeds. I'll do that one again! And I make my garlic mashed potatoes with buttermilk. Very good dinner!
(0)

I don't know, but I think you might try white beans or chick peas. The others have too strong a flavor of their own, I think. If you do try it, let us know how it comes out.
(0)

Thanks Jeanne. I wish I had a garden, but no. Not growing my own food. Lentils don't agree with me either. Do you think black beans, kidney beans, white beans or chickpeas would work well too? That sounds awesome. That's such a pretty name: silverbeet. Sounds poetic or heroic even: The Adventures of Silverbeet!
(1)

Someone just Butt dialed me and woke me from a sound sleep. UGGGH!
I went down and got a kozy shack sugar free rice pudding. NOT EVEN CLOSE to their original!
I'm going to be honest. I had a couple of cigarettes today. Cigarettes and food are my only pleasures since I gave up sex!
Today is the 1st anniversary of my foster sons suicide. Rough day. I'll get back on the horse tomorrow.
Another xanex and then hopefully sleep. The good news is I can sleep as long as I want. Fall morning sleep is the best.
(1)

I first ate Chard about 20 years ago, when I looked up a recipe at the library, for a murder mystery party set in the middle east. I like this a lot, and I hope you do, too! (Are you growing chard, judda?)

Adas Bis Silq
Lentil and Silverbeet Soup

1.5 cups Lentils
6 cups Cold water
Optional, to taste Chicken soup base
8 to 10 leaves Silverbeet (Swiss Chard)
¼ cup Olive oil
1 large Onion, chopped fine
3 cloves Garlic
¼ cup Coriander leaves (cilantro), chopped
To taste Freshly ground black pepper
To taste Salt
¼ cup Lemon juice

For serving Lemon wedges

Wash lentils well and place in a heavy pan with the water. Bring to a boil, skimming if necessary. Add soup base if desired. Cover and simmer gently until lentils are soft, about 1 hour.
Wash chard well and cut off stems. Slit leaves down the middle, and shred leaves coarsely.
Heat oil in a separate pan, add onion and fry gently until transparent. Stir in garlic and cook for a few seconds longer. Add shredded silverbeet to pan and fry, stirring often, until leaves wilt.
Pour onion and silverbeet mixture into lentils, add coriander, salt, and pepper to taste, and the lemon juice. Cover and simmer gently for further 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve soup in deep plates with lemon wedges for squeezing into soup according to individual taste. Khoubiz or other bread is a necessary accompaniment.
(2)

I show my documentary at a city library tomorrow and then off to Maine to tape a training class and make the man a video promo.
Mom is doing well in her new environment, meeting people and having visitors. You know what they say: If Mamma is happy, everyone is happy.
(3)

Experimenting with different ways of eating beautiful Swiss Chard. Best way was lightly stir fry it with chopped onions, peppers, and then pour on beaten eggs with a little cheese. Make an omelet or if you are impatient just scramble it all together. Was very good!
Today at lunch I used it like lettuce for an open sandwich on a rice cake with canned smoked herring, mayo, lemon juice, and onion. I'm working hard at giving up coffee, wheat, and cow milk products. Still got that extra 10 pounds on me enough to be bothersome and uncomfortable in my clothes. But the headaches are going away.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter