Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
i dont hunt or fish , pam . no patience for it . ill eat a road kill deer or buy and butcher a hog in a skinny minute tho . im canning my last bucket of apples , listening to some music , boiling chicken wings and ' ahem ' , gettin a little buzz tonight . if anyone within 100 miles of central indiana has some canning jars to sell , ill flatass come get em . i only use quarts and for the purpose of the upcoming meat id prefer loudmouthed jars .
(0)

captain, make some white oak scent for your camouflage duds. Deer love white oak. I have heard of squirrels coming after it too.
We got a new smoker, so tonight we had smoked salmon salad sandwiches. Yummmy!
(1)

apple cake is on my agenda for this winter . i have a couple gallon of acorns drying because in an apple cake i think they would be just a good as chipped walnuts and a dam site less laborious to prepare . ill take that " saved " energy and get my root cellar built . one person cant do it all . i have to pick and choose what means the most to me .
i need that cellar . venison is coming and ill can the whole freakin deer ..
(0)

I made butternut squash soup for the first time, the CG brought us one and I was determined to use it! Very yummy! And mom made a dump cake
(2)

sherded beef with gravy over egg noodles
(2)

I made a crust less spinach and feta quiche. I will surely make it again.
(3)

my apple crisp turned out pretty good . i can see the reason for baking it on the lowest oven shelf -- bakes the apples thoroughly before the topping overbakes .
i found packages of chicken wings today for 59 cents a pound so i bought an armload of them . i figure boiling them takes out a lot of the excess animal fat .
im getting cheaper every day . my life is comfortable enough in the bunker now, i can wait till yard sale time again to get a few small things i need . passed up a 4 dollar blender today and a 4 dollar light fixture i could have used . i can get both at yard sales for probably a half a buck each . i bought a pocket knife to sharpen construction pencils with for 50 cents . this economy is NOT recovering one dam bit . im on the ground in construction , i would know , better than govt economists if it were . i plan to survive if the whole world sucks up and busts ..
(1)

My oven was full and my energy level dipping so I didn't even make baked apples. I just cut them in wedges and served with butterscotch sundae topping drizzled over them. Both the Honey Gold and the Haralsons were great.

Dinner was a tuna/cheese concoction wrapped in a biscuit sheet, baked, sliced, and served with a cheese sauce. Also French onion soup and roasted broccoli.
(1)

OK I will stop after this, shouldn't be on the Internet hungry!

babble/best-recipes/baked-cheesecake-stuffed-apples-more-fall-cheesecake-desserts/#pumpkin-maple-pecan-cheesecake

I love apple season, brings the deer down to my yard for a snack!!
(0)

Apple season!!! Look what I just found! yummo!!!

thegunnysack/2014/09/bloomin-baked-apples-recipe.html
(1)

Captain, I have baked apples on the menu for tomorrow, but I might do crisp instead. Son and his sweetie went to an apple farm last weekend, and brought me two kinds of apples.

Veronica, the spinal tap went just fine. It is a pretty easy procedure, even though it sounds kind of scary.
(1)

That sounds really good, Judda. When I am going to do something with squash other than bake it and eat it I often cheat and buy the vegetable already cut up. But I'll give this bake-it-whole approach a try.

Tonight we had another hot dish from my personal cookbook. Coy used to like this one a lot, but I haven't made it for years. It is layers of rice, cooked spinach, seafood, mushroom soup, and topped with French fried onion rings. I used fresh spinach instead of frozen, and I sauteed the seafood and onions in olive oil instead of butter. Please pass the gold stars. But then I made cheddar biscuits to go with it and those definitely have butter!
(1)

im baking an apple crisp . im going to be working on and around an angus ranch possibly for years . those fellows will make sure theres beef in my diet later on . i need to build myself a root cellar out here . itll probably happen this winter . i have one built onto the side of the basement but now i need it for an emergency fire exit . im with mom . ill eat oatmeal and acorns before ill pay 5 bucks for a pound of beef . hopefully next year ill be organized enough to fire up a garden again . it all spells root cellar tho . cant put 500 quart jars in my bunker . not enough expendable living space .
(0)

Sounds delicious Judda
(1)

I made butternut squash soup. It was easy if you bake the butternut squash the day before. I only used one (bought from the local farmer). Cut in halves, scoop out seeds, and place cut side down in a baking dish with some water. About an inch high. Bake at 375 for an hour or until it is soft. Chill. Then when its cool, or the next day, you easily peel of the skin and mash a bit in a bowl. Next I diced one half of a large onion, and diced one big apple. (any kind but Delicious: you want sweet-sour). In a souppot, warm up butter, or coconut oil, and sprinkle on some sage if you have it. Saute until almost soft. Add the mashed squash, some water and get a thick consistency. Then add about a half a cup of cream or half and half, or almond milk or soymilk. Stir it up and then use either a handblender or a blender and blend until thick but creamy enough to be called soup. Top with pecans, walnuts, or toasted pumpkin seeds. You could also top with just a dab of plain goat yogurt, or plain Greek yogurt. Serves 4. I had it with a nice salad and was plenty full. It's fun to eat!

What's the story about fat these days? It's a yes, it's fine! Just don't gorge yourself and try to eat only grass-fed animal milk: goat milk and sheep milk are more like human milk so it is more easily to digest. Butter is IN now, too, but get organic "grass-fed". Ditto with cheese. Trader Joe's offers some good choices.

When I first learned about this I had a great time eating all the food I had poo-pooed. I gained some weight but now I realize I just over ate. Not all fats are healthy as you probably know. Avocados, nuts, seeds, are great too.

I think your tummy will let you know how much is truly enough! If I slow down and don't eat with greed, or out of an emotional need, or nervousness, I'll eat well and feel fine afterwards. I think it's so interesting...next life, I want to be a Naturopath. can you all tell? :)
(4)

I get your point Capt cost and scource have to balence, I am not sure but think the tyson livers are not more expensive and their suposed to not be poluted!!!!!!!!
I am not allowed livers because of the rat poison I take.
(0)

considering the source , veronica ( sav a lot ) the livers are probably gelatinated globs of soy beans . their BS fake pies are why im canning so many apples . if im going to eat soy beans id just buy a few bushel from a farm ..
(0)

Capt are those livers from organically raised antibiotic free chickens?
(0)

PS How is the clinical trail going Jeannie did you survive the spinal tap?
(0)

Jeannie when can we expect the premier of your show "Cooking, or not, for the desperate and dietary challenged" or "Too tired to cook, meals for caregivers"
(0)

chicken livAAARS !!
(2)

Tonight was chorizo skillet, basically a spicy hash topped with eggs, Mexican cheese, diced tomatoes, and green salsa. Awesome. Carbs well within guidelines, but I don't think my cardiologist would approve of sausage, eggs, and cheese in the same meal. So I didn't invite him for dinner. :)
(2)

No, the nicotine is out of my system by now, it's just the habit part I have to deal with. It gets a little easier everyday. My son quit in solidarity so that helps a LOT. The DR gave me Xanax which helps too. Didn't mean to whine, I'm really doing ok, and a whole lot better than dead. :)
(2)

Are you on a nicotine patch, Boni?
(0)

Yes Jeanne, the depression hit me hard, but I was warned and already on zoloft. The quitting smoking, giving up my favorite foods, and having to put Mom in the NH for a while certainly added to it. I've been home, alone for a week and doing next to nothing. I've had calls and a few short visits, but I am enjoying the solitude, especially after the week in ICU. A hospital is no place for sleep!
I want to start walking, but I am so afraid I will walk right up to the cigarette store. I need a few more days. If one person on this board, besides me, learned a lesson about taking better care of themselves, and managing stress I would be so happy.....but not as happy as a ciggy and a bowl of Ice cream would make me. ;)
(5)

Had a nice chicken hotdish tonight -- recipe from the 60s. Chicken on rice with a nice sauce, along with a spinach salad -- fresh mushrooms, grapefruit, blue cheese, red onion, and pistachios.

And before anyone says, wait a minute -- you are diabetic, can you eat white rice? the answer is, Of course. There is nothing I can't eat if I am careful of the portions.
(1)

Fortunately, Boni, once you get settled into it, the diabetic diet is pretty much the same as the heart-healthy diet, with a little more attention to carbs. At least we don't have to juggle two separate sets of requirements. The Mediterranean diet is often the general recommendation. I know what you mean about taking pleasure in food, but I understand that heart surgery itself can induce depression. So keep an eye on that, and discuss it with your doctors.

I needed insulin immediately after I was diagnosed, too. It is called "rescue" insulin. Once I was finally diagnosed and treated things settled down dramatically and I got off of insulin and relied on oral meds for about nine years. I'm now back on insulin. I just share this to say the insulin may not be long-term. (No one told me that.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight's dinner was home-made veggie soup that my cardiologist and my endocrinologist would certainly have approved, and quiche, which might not have gotten so many seals of approval. :)

I made a huge cauldron of the soup this morning and took most of it, along with date/orange muffins and deviled eggs, to my friend whose husband has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and whose house is full of relatives.
(4)

Boni, sorry - I wasn't aware of the heart attack, but I'm sure you're aware of what's best for you anyway, and will follow your doc's orders. Best wishes for speedy recovery.
(1)

LOL!
(1)

Cut the dog into one inch cubes, toss in shallots, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt and sugar. Sprinkle in coconut oil and mixed with lime leaf, bruised lemongrass and lime juice.. Pack tightly into pint jars and pressure can at 15psi for 45 minutes. (just kidding)
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter