Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
im not having dinner tonight . some days i dont eat at all but im in the process of canning up 89 large venison / pork beer brats . the farm guys havent even killed me a deer yet theyre just giving me the less desirable cuts from the deer that theyve killed so far . the cost still adds up tho . 2 pkgs of dehydrated sheep sausage casings cost me 25 bucks . oh well , its a hobby , canning . its a h*ll of a sense of security too when you have a root cellar filled with enough preserved food to hold you for a year . still 90 brats are worth dam near 90 bucks , i did ok .
(0)

My DIL is hosting this year. I don't have to clean my house AND cook :0) She is doing the bird and I offered to bring pies, dressing and cranberry relish. The other kids are filling in the rest - another pie, home made rolls and several bottles of wine. Pretty typical meal - except someone else gets to clean up the mess :0)

AND my MIL has decided not to go because of the bad weather. Of course I promised to bring her TWO plates of leftovers and I made her a pie ''all for herself'' :0)
(0)

Hubby wants oyster stuffing. Fine, but it's NOT going into the turkey. First of all, it smells like last week's carp and second is the weird green color. :-(
(1)

Today we just got back from a week and a half stay in the hospital. I was supposed to make spaghetti. ..we had sandwiches. I am completely exhausted from living next to my mother. So i will còk dinner tomorrow...but not today...I just can't...
(1)

No I use a pot on the stove top like my mama taught me. Takes a long time but it is savory and good and I make a huge batch so we can have it again. I almost think it is better the second time around!
(1)

the best stews ive ever seen were baked in the oven . all the vegs were in almost fistsized hunks . it was kinda cool because you cut off and assembled the desired components a fork full at a time . of course all of it was fork tender and extremely spicy .. ( cold beer )
(0)

Gosh I like beef stew. I used to know a couple of restaurants that had good stew, but it doesn't seem trendy enough these days. Guess I'll have to do it myself. Do you use a crock pot, 1tired?
(0)

' tis breadbaking time for sure .
(0)

Home made beef stew with carrots and potatoes and home made Italian herb bread, yum! Good comfort food.
(2)

I spent the afternoon cleaning my son's house, in prep for him coming home from rehab next week. His house is a short distance from my favorite deli, so I stopped and brought home pastrami, corned beef, Russian black bread, and Pumpernickel.

I made some cole slaw and we had great grilled sandwiches for dinner.
(2)

ive eaten candn goose once pam . i dont remember exactly how i prepared it but i remember it being tender , red - ish meat sopped in gravy and really good .
rolls are almost done . id like to take edna one but i can nuke one of them for her tomorrow or monday . they keep for a week in the fridge .
(0)

Captain, see if that farmer can't save you a nice Canada Goose. Roast it and save the fat for frying potatoes. There will be a LOT of creamy white fat on a goose, and hopefully a nice chunk of liver for "pate de foie gras"
(0)

im making bread rolls right now for the first time ever on my new counter top . what a nice improvement . i didnt have any usable counter top till recently . little things like that make starting over kind of rewarding.
jeanette ,
ive done plenty of butchering but id throw those loins into the grind any day for good homemade wurst .
im having a few chicken pumps tonight but saving room for brotchen rolls with butter on em .
(1)

Cap, ... good grief dude, GOOGLE how to prep a dear. Do the poor thing justice. The back strap is in NO way to be used as sausage!! Do not waste such an incredible animal. I remember when we had that old meat grinder that attached to the counter top.... like a vice grip.

OH.... I made string bean soup with ham hocks. cornbread sprinkles on top.
(1)

the milk carton at nh said ( at the end of the ingredients list ) that it contained milk . that could mean anything resembling milk and its evidently none of our business in what amount .
corn syrup - water - " white " .
ive got to get a grinder with a sausage stuffer spout . farm foreman is pretty sincere about knocking me down a big doe . id grind the whole deer into link sausage , then can the sausage links if i can get things aligned to do it . thats many an effortless dinner with maybe the addition of a big homemade brotchen roll . brotchen rolls will hold up in the fridge for a week . 87 million germans cant be wrong about whats wholesome . i dont drink beer in the wintertime but for these id make an exception .
(0)

And this is why I have a giant organic garden and a freezer...
:)
(1)

i made another apple crisp tonight . ya might remember that i got annoyed that 3 different pies at the sav a lot were all made of corn and soya . apple , peach , and cherry -- all colored soya . well i was reading the ingredients on both a carton of milk and a carton of vanilla shake at ednas nh today and they too were made of corn and soya . if you arent careful everything you are eating could be the same slurry . maybe such a diet has something to do with all of this dementia . in ednas nh there isnt one bright eye in the population of 80 old people .
(0)

hope your son is doing ok jeanne .
(0)

Another quiche tonight. Fresh spinach (wilted), cheddar, and bacon, with chopped walnuts pressed into the crust, and rings of small red sweet peppers on top.

I knew I was spending this afternoon in the rehab center with my son so I was clever enough to wilt the spinance, grate the cheese, and fry the bacon last night. Easy-peezy to put it together when I got home. (Yay me!)

Gosh I'm glad my boarders both like quiche.
(3)

Your new nickname.

Baker Bob.
(0)

peach apple upside down chocolate cake . that sob has so much goin on it ought to be able to wash up the dinner dishes later ..
(1)

a big bowl of ham beans that crack paddy gave me and a big hunk of cocnut creme pie . i dont know if edna ate her pie or not . shes not very coherant these days . the bowl of pie is missing but so is her short term memory . ill just take her some more .. somebody at the " waters " had pie , that much is evident . she enjoys giving things away more than keeping them for herself so sometimes i give her things to give away .
(1)

Boneless pork loin in the crock pot, Hassleback potatoes, and roasted broccoli for dinner. Followed by peach/apple upside down chocolate cake. :)
(1)

LOL, Captain, that coconut crème pie sounds wonderful, send a slice over here and I will taste test it against the artichokes!
(0)

i stay plum away from artichokes and ebelskivers . they just sound like the chernoble aftermath of foodstuffs. doesnt a big assed coconut creme pie sound more enticing ?
i made one from scratch tonight and im pretty pleased with it . edna likes em and i dont want to burn her out on apple crisp
(3)

Loving all the artichoke ideas! I LOVE them but only know a few ways to cook em!
(1)

Think I'm going to do soup and chef's salads tonight. I have *got* to get back in the swing of things here...haven't cooked more than 1 decent meal since we got back from our "vacation", and it's throwing everything out of whack. Need to start back to doing meal prep on the weekends, too.
(2)

I do a warm or cold delicious rotini pasta salad with Costco pesto artichoke hearts n black olives....sometimes fresh tomato chunks n scallions chopped on spinach is delish!
(2)

I've discovered that Costco has a nice price on a large jar of artichoke hearts and I'm on the lookout for recipes to use them in. Have several so far, and now I have another! Thanks Boni.
(2)

Yes! It was so easy and soooo good!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter