Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Tonight was waffles with mini chocolate chips, real maple syrup or berry syrup, applesauce, dried plums, and Canadian bacon. Quick to put together, because we are celebrating the Year of the Goat here tomorrow (with Asian foods) and I still have shopping and food prep to do for that.

I am now cooking for 4 adults every night, and enjoying it!
(0)

Still eating food at the hospital and getting real sick of it. No wonder they have soo many admissions. Sometimes I go out an get fast food, like that is so much better for me!
(0)

im having eggpone and corn nog .
jeez . im laying stone again after 14 months of cutting firewood . firewood was a long nap on a rainy afternoon compared to this s* it . its more like self violence than self abuse . my true love is solid indiana granite and a hammer has to be moving 350 mph to trim on the stuff . one of these days my back's gonna blow and take out 30 innocent bystanders .
(1)

Nope its not blood pudding.. it kind of looks like sloppy joe
(0)

Ah, my oven died a week ago and it is now fixed so I am having roasted chicken with baked potatoes and zuchinni squash. The oven , refrigerator and water heater all died within 24 hours, the freezer had gone on the blink just before Christmas. It has been a VERY expensive week.
(0)

The rest of the rice with the rest of the plantains (frozen from Goya, wicked good!) and the rest of the chicken. I may splurge and have a glass of wine.

About pudding meat? Is that blood pudding? My MIL used to eat that. It's gross.
(1)

Going to pop a turkey breast in the crock pot today and let it cook all day. Makes the BEST, most tender and juicy turkey breast you'll ever taste. As a bonus, I take the cooked skin off the bird and put it in the oven on a cookie sheet so I still get the crispy skin. :-)
(2)

Pamzimmrrt - I have a list of things I *have* to get when I go south to visit my son - scrapple and pon hoss (like scrapple but not as spicy) are both on the list. My daughter insists I bring some back for her. LOL Duke's Mayo is another - can't get it this far north, and it's the best.
(2)

I'm in Maryland, from Pa! I'm not sure what pudding meat is either...LOL But my folks and In laws love it! I am pretty sure it's made from the scraps left from butchering.. kind of like scrapple without the cornmeal. I skip that part of the meal.... They serve it at all the firehall breakfasts and small diners around this part of the country... I do love scrapple and sausage however :)
(1)

Where do you live, Pam? I don't know what pudding meat is, or where it would be eaten for breakfast. Sounds interesting.
(0)

we have had "breakfast for dinner" the last 2 nights.. pancakes, scrapple, pudding meat and sausage
(0)

i just added a quart of canned potatoes to last nights bean soup and theres no question the beans and potatoes are going to flavor each other . the meat is a hunk of wild boar ham someone gave me . boar taint means a little strong testosterone flavor , not a part of a pigs anatomy that dont see much sunlight .
(0)

What do you serve when the temperature is below zero and the wind chill is 20 or 30 degrees lower?

Whatever you have in the house! :)

Last night it was homemade mushroom marinara over spaghetti. (I froze sauce for 2 meals last time I made it.) Since no one was willing to run out of a loaf of French bread or a baguette, I made cheddar garlic biscuits. No problem.

Tonight it is quiche with ham, 2 kinds of cheese, mushrooms, and broccoli -- because that is what I had on hand. I would have liked some red sweet pepper on it, but not enough to actually go to the store for them. :)

I don't know about where you are, but Baby it is COLD outside here in Minnesota.
(1)

Oh, I hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair at your dinner table folks. This hospital food is getting too old. Mom has been in since 12/18 this time and another 5 days earlier in December. Between us we don't finish a tray of food. The best I have done is the cheese steak melt at the grill place next to Chic-fil-a. It is good and cost is reasonable, only $4.31. Hope to be cooking in my own place soon.
(3)

Our new years meal was pretty snazzie, lol. We don't go anywhere, so even though it was fancy it was a lot cheaper than going out. Shrimp cocktail, filet mignon, king crab legs home made mashed potatoes, artichoke hearts and salad from the garden. Sadly, lol, the next day we were back to chili! It was a good start to the new year though and we really enjoyed it! Good thing I like to cook.
(1)

I made pretty standard chicken, sweet potatoes and broccoli but with a vert special soup that I call "green dream". You saute onions and garlic and the throw in all the green veggies in the vegetable bin, in this case kale, spinach, dill, parsnip, white potatoes and carrots and broth. You simmer it for an hour and then use your immersion blender to break up the big pieces. Add juice of a lemon and pepper.
(2)

Our first meal of the year was a rack of lamb with a fabulous homemade sauce and dry rub, with oven roasted cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and carrots (with honey and cinnamon.) Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for dessert.

Tonight it felt good to have old-fashioned comfort food, in this case chow mein hot dish from a 60s recipe.
(0)

Veronica, don't feel bad - we did the same thing the other night, because I hadn't gotten the dishes done, nothing was unthawed to cook and I didn't even *feel* like cooking - so Subway to the rescue. If you stop and think about it, though, $7.50 per meal for 2 people isn't too bad. You couldn't go to a sit-down restaurant and have a meal for that little.

Tonight is smoked sausage and sauerkraut with some veggies or salad on the side.
(2)

That's easy the second half of the subs I brought yesterday. It may be the last time because the cost of 2 12inch was $15.10
I could make quite a few at home for that price.
(0)

ive never tried dehydrating foods veronica . made jerky once or twice that turned out pretty good .
judda,
mecaline is good as long as you dont go all aztec on everybody and be trying to make human sacrifices and such .
i think of turkey manhatten when i think of thanksgiving leftovers . maybe i like it cause it was one of the more palatable meals that the schools used to serve .
choices are getting better around here after a little over a year back at home . i have chicken quarters and pork loin in the freezer . made choc oatmeal no bake cookies twice this week . maybe ill mix up some of the canned apples with the canned brats and see what transpires .
jeanne,
i paid eleven bucks for a cold 24 oz can of beer at a concert in july . i was thinkin this better be the best beer i ever drank -- well they got lucky .
(0)

Last night my daughter Barb took me out for dinner and a concert. Awesome! The restaurant I chose was in the midst of Happy Hour, with half-price appetizers. We ordered three and split them for an awesome somewhat light dinner! A good value, except when we found out that our iced teas cost $6 each!!

The concert was the local professional Chamber Orchestra performing all six Bach Brandenburg Concertos. It was held in a Jewish Temple that I had never been in before and that in itself was interesting.

Great night out!
(1)

I am digging my turkey leftovers! The leftover turkey soup became a veggie-turkey stew. A big salad of mesclun greens with a pesto-vinegar dressing was a great companion to the stew. I made a roasted vegetable casserole: just olive oil and lots of fresh sliced garlic, onions, brussel sprouts, carrots in the oven. Added balsamic vinegar for a dressing and it was a cold salad topping the next day.
Added that to the stew and it had amazing flavor and fun to eat.

Been enjoying homemade whipped cream in coffee or Roma (a grain coffee from health food store). Viva homemade and simple food: lots of veggies! But oh, that turkey was some good! This year Mom was grateful and nice to me. Last year she was grouchy and criticized everything.
(3)

Capt are you into dehydrating at all?
(0)

the roast would be worth buying a cellophane roasting bag possibly with the seasoning mix , add your selection of vegs and melt it down in the oven . entire halves of bell pepper would be my first pick from the finished roast .
my beans turned out really good . aunt edna will love em .
i too , hope boni is having a fun time . im sure her life is upside down with the recent developments with her mother . when my mother passed away i couldnt stay in her home another minute . it was our home and just wasnt right with her missing .
i eat well jeanette but my savings come from buying nothing but basics . no prepared food here ever . i buy onions then chop em up into sandwich baggies and freeze em . never have an onion go to waste that way .
(1)

Jessie, her grandchildren where visiting.... I sent her a text earlier asking if she survived the "FUN"! No reply yet.... uh oh :p

Cap, one thing we do not skimp on here is food. Safeway has this section called "Manager's Specials". I usually buy all my meat in that section... bought a pound of lean ground beef for 3 bucks, 4 nice pork chops ...4 bucks, a filet mingon roast, otherwise known as chateaubriand, 1.4 lbs ... 10 bucks (50% off) no... no skimping of food, especially in the winter :)... now, I just need to learn how to cook this fab roast?
(1)

Has anyone heard anything from Boni? I haven't seen anything from her in a while now.
(0)

im making pinto beans . i have ham bones or fresh pork bones but i like fresh pork bones the best in beans . pork ribs in beans is the best but im way too cheap for that .
(0)

i aint workin today . got the kitchen to straighten up . my brats turned out really good considering i havent made any in 25 yrs . canning them almost overcooked them for the purpose of sandwiches but they will be good in kraut or green beans n potatoes , tomato n vegs , etc . ended up with 24 qts of em .
interestingly , when i got ran off from my last house 15 yrs ago the root cellar was slam full of canned food . i recently bought all my canning jars back from the current homeowner and someone had eaten every speck of the food , washed the jars and returned them to the shelves . im happy that the food didnt go to waste .
(0)

Up to my neck in baking, cookies, pies and cakes for two different dinners. I really just want to go back to sleep...
(0)

im working tomorrow if my back functions when i get up . this morning it flatly refused to cut wood . these brats are gonna rock on a big old brotchen roll . thanks germany i can dig your version of fast food .
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter