Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I have used a site somewhere for one dish meals. I even took them to work when I was still working. Many good dishes there. And many were big enough to have for two or three days. Just warmed them up.
Another place I used was called back of the box recipes. Same story.
I would just cut them into individual servings and wrap them up.
Those were my favorite sites for food.
(2)

Albondigas and a chile relleno
Thinking about going to rite aid for a scoop of rocky road ice cream
(3)

It's definitely the reason I don't cook very much, other than "never really have," but there's just no reason to make proper dishes when it's only for me. I can only eat so much, makes more sense to throw a salad together for dinner like I did for billionth time just now. :-)

Veggie soup and cottage pie sounds so good.
(2)

Freeze them!
(1)

For those of you who like to rework leftovers into something new, do you ever find yourself overflowing with leftovers of leftovers? I made a big pot of vegetable soup, some of which I re-purposed into a cottage pie with the addition of ground beef and mashed potatoes. Now I not only have leftover soup, but leftover cottage pie too. I like them both, but a gal can only eat so much.
(3)

There are lots of books and sites on line which give you recipes for home made mixes for basically any purpose
(2)

Well... not quite Send. What you've posted is just self rising flour, biscuit mix has added shortening too, and might have powdered milk or sugar.
Cake mixes are just as bad when you think about it; you add the eggs, oil, water/milk so all you get in the box is flour, sugar, b pwd and some kind of flavouring. I think we have just been conditioned to believe they make life easier.
(2)

Yep folks...All purpose flour plus baking soda equals the Bisquick ingredients.
(2)

For those who wanted to know-from Wikipedia;
Hummingbird cake is a banana-pineapple spice cake common in the Southern United States. Ingredients include flour, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, ripe banana, pineapple, cinnamon, pecans, vanilla extract, eggs, nuts and leavening agent. Frosting of cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla.
Yum!
(1)

Yeah, Send, what's with the price of Bisquick? Geez, it used to be $1.79 back in the "good ol' days" (1970's -The days you could bring home 4 grocery bags full of food for $35.!)

Sunnygirl,
What's a Hummingbird cake?

My girlfriends mother made a Chicken in French bread dish.
Cut loaf of sour dough French bread in half lengthwise. Scoop out some bread. Fry chicken pieces in small amount oil and add onions, garlic, chicken broth, seasonings, cook until mostly done. Pile chicken inside hollowed out loaf and cover. Wrap in foil and bake 20 min. at 350. The bread absorbes the juices. Cut in 6" pieces.
There was never a written recipe but that's what I remember. It was yummy.
(2)

Dear Sunnygirl,

My colleague made a Hummingbird cake and it was so good! Thanks for mentioning it. I might have to see if she is willing to bake another one soon.:-)

Send, I love using Bisquick too! My dad used it as his go to pancake mix! I tried making the Red Lobster cheese biscuits with them, but mine did not turn out the same.
(2)

Pancake mix is essentially the same thing as bisquick and makes a great substitute. (cheaper too)
(4)

Bisquick is the answer to dumplings cooked on top of a stew, or homemade chicken noodle soup.
Has anyone followed the huge price increase in Bisquick over many years?
2012 $3.59. 2017 $5.81
(3)

Those dumplings sound awesome! Much like the ones my mom makes. My great grandmother made chicken and pastry. (Little slits of pastry, handmade of course. I haven't had that in ages. I don't think anyone makes that dish anymore.)

Last night I made roast beef, brown rice, green beans, steamed then, sauteed broccoli, and sliced tomato. I have worked hard at developing my cooking skills. Sometimes, I surprise myself when it's soooo good! lol

My mom recently made a Hummingbird Cake. OMG. That's what I'm making for Thanksgiving. It's to die for.
(3)

MsMadge,
I'm a lazy eater. I don't want to have to cut chicken off the bone in this soupy/stew if I don't have to, so I do the work during the cooking. Then I'm free to just spoon it in at the table. (Gosh that sounds piggy 🐖)

I make a broth from the chicken parts with a piece of skin, bouillon or other seasoned broth additive, a couple of tablespoons of NO salt herbs/spices seasoning (from Costco) or Mixed Italian seasonings, chopped onion or onion powder, chopped carrots and celery. When the chicken is just cooked, take it out to cool then debone it and return the pieces to the broth. Bring to a LOW simmer, any higher cooking and you'll ruin the whole thing and have little gum balls.

Now for the dumplings, ta-da, Bisquick!!! So easy.
Mix 2 cups Bisquick and ⅔ cup milk (at least 2%) until soft dough forms. DON'T over mix the dough and let it rest for a few minutes so the dumplings will rise better and be puffy.
Drop dough by spoonfuls (I like  big dumplings so my spoonful is big) into the lightly simmering stew. Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. (This covered and uncovered step is important). The soup will get thickened a little by the dough, which is fine with me.
Your dumplings are a success if they are puffy, round, spongy balls of fluffy biscuit consistency.

I wish I could have y'all over for a feast.

Oh Lord, I can't stop licking my chops now! 😋

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

My prayers for you and the Viking. 🙏🏼
(3)

I was hoping to get some hot soup to go from Von's but the station was already closed so I picked up a ready made ham sandwich to take to the SNF - it was blah

I really wanted albondigas and corn tortillas from my fav Mexican restaurant
(3)

Are you hungry MsMadge?
Von's has fresh chicken noodle soup in plastic tubs, soup/deli. Maybe no dumplings, but french bread? Grubhub delivers, but not sure how late. Do they go to markets?
Have you ever heard of task rabbit?
(3)

Sue
Sounds fabulous- how do you make your chicken and dumplings?

Knott's chicken restaurant is about the only place I can think of to get them out
(2)

Yesterday made spaghetti sauce with mushrooms, will add meatballs later. I also made homemade potato salad. We'll have that with ham tonight.

I got a sale on pork so today I made pork cubes in a bbq/orange sauce, and, since I had more pork, I made chili verde (pork stewed in green tomatillo sauce). Will freeze most for later use. 

It's getting colder and time for lentil soup with ham, chicken vegetable soup, beef stew and, my favorite, chicken and dumplings. 😋 OMG, I'm salavating! 

I love cooking (and eating) but the clean up makes me blah. ☹️
(4)

LOL CM, that sounds familiar. I think the pudding is really at it's best with leftovers later in the day or the next day.
And for breakfast. Don't scowl, it's full of fruit and nuts everything good for you!
(3)

Mmmm, steamed British style cranberry pudding made with molasses and served with hot hard sauce. Used to make every year, ex's family tradition. Maybe I should do this again.

But no brandy in it.so, no fun?
(2)

CW you do realise you're not actually supposed to *eat* traditional Christmas puds? - you just set fire to them, claim you're too full and eat the brandy butter instead.

Mmmm, brandy butter...
(3)

Last year I asked my friends to recommend a good store bought christmas cake and that's what I'll get this year too. I think the reason so many people hate them so much is that most of the grocery store ones are dry horrible things.
I'm toying with the idea of having a pudding this year, not the british kind but our family recipe made with grated carrot, potato & apple plus dried fruit and nuts, I think it would be something mom would be able to eat. (& the caramel rum sauce is yummy)
(3)

I have given up the Christmas cake boo hoo. Some don't like it, some are to fat to need it and one other really only likes the marzipan. However the christmas Pud is still in demand and I finally have all the ingredients ready - was waiting on the brandy.
Now I have some pineapple jam to make. They were only 99 cents in the store last week so i took the plunge. I save store brought jam jars and then fill them to the top with hot jam put the lids on and find they do their own sealing Hubby goes through 1-2pounds of jam a week. Toast and jam seem to be his latest craving .Well at least he can "cook" that himself
(3)

Christmas cake under way!

Which always makes me think of the Parsee man who...

"... lived by the Red Sea with nothing but his hat and his knife and a cooking-stove of the kind that you must particularly never touch. And one day he took flour and water and currants and plums and sugar and things, and made himself one cake which was two feet across and three feet thick. It was indeed a Superior Comestible (*that's* Magic), and he put it on the stove because *he* was allowed to cook on that stove, and he baked it and he baked it till it was all done brown and smelt most sentimental."

From 'How the Rhinoceros got his Skin', one of the 'Just So Stories' by Rudyard Kipling.
(4)

Chicken noodle soup last night. Chicken stock from the freezer, wife chopped some veggies, leftover chicken, a little garlic, ginger, thyme and egg noodles... dinner! with a little french bread just what I needed with a cold! My wife knew I was sick when she saw me drinking a small glass of white wine..... not because it was small, because it was white wine. I only use white wine for cooking.....
(3)

Hi cwillie,

The roast chicken and veggies sound delicious! I am trying my best to eat better. Last night it was taco salad with spicy pork. Tonight I might go with pasta with broccoli but we'll see how it goes.

Have a good weekend everyone!
(2)

Yum, I am copying you, but my recipe has pieces of boneless chicken breast.
It was what was on sale.
(3)

I'm actually cooking tonight, and for the second day in a row! Chicken was on sale for $1.88/lb so I picked up a wee little $5 one and am roasting it in the counter top oven, surrounded by a big pan of veggies - onions, carrots, rutabaga and sweet potatoes. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.
(7)

I love soup too, and making it! Haven't tried that one, but I did see it. The tomato basil is awesome too!
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter