Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Veronica
That's unfortunate you don't like sweet potatoes. Baked with butter and a bit of brown sugar or maple syrup and it's almost a dessert - the Viking loves em

Posole is a Mexican soup with pork or chicken and hominy
(3)

MsMadge what is prosole? I hate sweet potatoes in any form. Given me an oven baked pate any time with lashings of butter and sour cream. Not on the cardiac diet i know but I eat so little I pretty much ignore that when it's something I fancy and can actually eat.
i will take the Reuben though.
(5)

I wasn't aware of the pork and sauerkraut tradition on New Years - maybe out west, we're more familiar with posole

I'm off to get my Reuben and sweet potato fries
(4)

Hamburgers and mac-&-cheese
(4)

I was just reading that Chicago is expecting a record setting cold streak in next 2 weeks. I'm going to need all of your easy soup, stew, chili recipes, please!! Mostly kidding but oh my... I don't know if I'm physically ready for this. 😳
(5)

I need to go to the grocery to fill up the frig, but it's 0ºF outside, -18 with wind chill. Canned soup is just fine if it saves me from having to venture out there into Frozen Land, plus I'm in a soup/stew mood with this cold weather. Just seems like insanity to me to do anything that involves going outside right now!

Pamz, turkey Brunswick stew sounds great!! Hope you feel better soon. 'Tis the season for colds, but also for great food to nurse yourself back to health with.

Just saw your post, Sunny.  Seems half of AC is sick lately, that stinks.  I'm a big fan of spicy soups when I have a cold.  Hope it clears up soon.  
(5)

Leftovers tonight of pork loin, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and black eyed peas. Pam, I hope you are spared the cold that came my way. OMG. It's horrid. It grows in intensity. Today is day 7 for me and it's at its worst! Both of my parents had to see the doctor with it. I've tried hot chicken soup, but nothing really helps it. I think I might have coughed up a lung last night.
(5)

All this talk of sauerkraut and I'm thinking a Reuben sandwich is sounding pretty good
(3)

Off after 3 days of work, and it was "clean out the fridge" day. I made 3 quarts of turkey Brunswick stew for the freezer, eggnog muffins..and we are having leftover pork and sauerkraut for dinner. I am fighting a head cold,, and I am done!
(4)

That's a hoot! 👶🏼 🚿
(1)

Went to a friend's house last night. As is usual for the last several years, we did a play reading (this year we did The Matchmaker, by Thorton Wilder). Mixed reviews from the other readers, but my Tirimisu was widely enjoyed.

Listened to funny story told by a long-time friend; when his eldest son was born, at a loss how to bathe the baby, the couple called his mom, who lived nearby. She ordered them to fill a bucket with warm water and dunked the week old babe under stating "they know instinctively how to hold their breaths at this age". My friend replied, "Ma, you're washing my son, not my socks" and took charge from there on in. Good times.
(5)

I didn't venture out for New Year's after all. I went to church, did a little shopping during the day and stayed home with a hot beverage in the evening.  TOO cold. Today, I'm cooking a pork loin, sweet potatoes, cabbage, apple pie and BLACK EYED PEAS and having some family and friends over. They are supposed to bring good luck for the New Year and are traditional here, in the south. IT'S 25 degrees here now!
(2)

Sue,
Drop a lime in a corona for me !
(3)

cwillie,
You party animal!
(1)

Good on you, Cwillie!
Happy New Year!

Got so distracted after looking up what a pelican bib was!
(1)

Still up cdn? I actually went out tonight for the first time in... forever, and headed home shortly after greeting the new year. Cheers!
(5)

Dear Sue,

Thank you for the kind invite! Tacos and Coronas sound perfect.:-)

Enjoy your ham on New Year's Day!
(3)

Cdnreader,
You should be here in Tijuana with us tonight. We're having tacos de carnitas. Auntie makes a killer green sauce.
Of course cervezas too. Most drink Tecate Light but Auntie drinks Corona.
Corona just changed their name to "México", kinda' dumb. Everybody knows it as Corona. Oh well.
It doesn't get any more Mexican than this.
🍺 🌮 🇲🇽

Tomorrow hubs and I will have ham. 🇺🇸
(4)

Dear Send,

Hope you enjoy your walk. Its hard to believe its really New Year's Eve! I think it might be take out tonight. Chinese or pizza but I can't decide right now.:-) My other thought was tacos. I do my love my tacos.:-)

Dear cwillie,

I hope the homemade dough worked out and you were able to enjoy your calzones.

Happy New Year!!! Best wishes to you all. With much love and hugs.
(4)

Darn it, I need a pelican bib. Or maybe I should stop eating in front of the computer?
(3)

Good suggestions!
It is 72 degrees F with sun out just now.
I know that I won't get fully well unless I go outside, and walk.
We have pizza from TJ's, we could have that.
Just ate tomato bisque soup-after saying I will never! eat soup from a cardboard box,
but now I like it......the recipes are great!

Going outside, because I want to get well.

Yes, I really am.
(5)

My plan is to make panzerotti/calzone for dinner tonight. The store was out of pizza dough so I will have to make my own - if my yeast will proof and I'm still feeling ambitious by this afternoon.
Maybe I'll do take out.
(3)

Well, it ain't Texan but Lawry's skillet chili over egg noodles is pretty simple or takeout chili and cornbread from Marie Callendars with lemon merengue pie

I may be getting takeout from Panda Express

I'd much prefer the filet mignon medallions at the Derby
(5)

Does anyone have some ideas for New Year's Eve, something simple?
I am craving real texas chili, my uncle used to make it, so did my Mom.
(6)

I had a Healthy Choice dinner and yogurt and applesauce for dessert. Yes, very unimaginative but I'm feeling lazy. Oh, and I'm drinking a Keurig decaf coffee now. I may go crazy and add some Bailey's to it. Yes, I live life on the edge. :O
(8)

MsMadge,
In N Out open till eleven Sunday nite,
Closed Christmas Day, Monday.

We already had ours, the extra lettuce and tomatoes made it great!

Is Sprouts closing early?  Nice, $2.99

Dessert was Boston Creme Cake topped with cherries, from Vons, open till 11:00, and open tomorrow too.
(3)

I'm hoping in n out is open past 8 pm tonight

I cornered the market on sprouts pumpkin pies $2.99 each - my oh my
(3)

Wine is always needed.:-)

Sue the brownies sound so good. Your husband sounds very supportive.:-)

I can't believe its Christmas Eve! Hope everyone is having a good evening with family and friends and enjoying good food!
(2)

I've been baking brownies for hours. It started out small-just for one family of friends but hubs keeps adding more people...and sampling the goods!
Now I've got boxes for his sister, (who's a brownie addict), our landlord, hubs' daughter and ex wife's family, a plate for the family party and, if any leftover, for us.
It sounds like I should have put this post under "my whine moment"! 😆
(3)

wine tonight,, don't judge me! It's needed.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter