Follow
Read More
My daughter is visiting. She was invited to a conference by her professor.

He is her favorite professor at her university. She’s a business major and he used to work for many years in finance before teaching.

He was able to invite a few students to attend the conference and he selected my daughter. The conference was yesterday and today at the Hyatt (downtown New Orleans) She’s coming over for dinner tonight and asked for shrimp creole.
(3)

cwille,

Roasted veggies are so flavorful. Yum!
(1)

Potatoes, carrots, onions, rutagaga, mushrooms and some celery - I've got two pans in the toaster oven, some for tonight and some for the future. Love my roast veggies!
(I chopped them smaller this time and divided them into two pans so they shouldn't take forever like the last time)
(3)

JColl7.. I am on my way,, that is my favorite meal!
(3)

We had comfort food tonight. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, string beans, hot roll and oh yeah, I also had a glass of red wine 🍷.
For dessert, I made little ice cream sandwiches using spiced wafers and vanilla ice cream. Did I say comfort foods??? 😋
(6)

I don’t use flour in my loaded baked potato soup.
(1)

bummer,
left my pork and noodles out all night and they began spoiling . i s'pect its all up to the acidity of various foods . you cant pay chili to spoil but beans will start fermenting right in the fridge .

its hard to prepare food for one person . you wanna make enough to make it worthwhile but theres nobody to help eat it up .
(3)

Hey, Captain

Manhattan clam chowder or New England clam chowder?

Completely different! I like both but New England style has a slight edge for me.

Real, which one do you think is best? Do you like clams?

We aren’t a clam area here. We have oysters in Louisiana! But I have had it when traveling.
(1)

Real,

I make it like you do. It’s so good. Side salad with it is all you need. My hubby likes this soup a lot!
(1)

Loaded baked potato soup is far superior if you use only potatoes and thin with broth. Then add chunked potatoes and ingredients to your liking. Flour just isn't right in it.

Just my personal opinion.
(2)

i had to look up that loaded baked potato soup . sounds great . flour as a thickener and a sour cream base . ( at least the recipe i found ) .
id call that ( rightfully or not ) a chowder .
(1)

Captain,

I love potato soup! I love any soup actually. My grandma made veggie soup often because grandpa grew veggies. She taught me to make it.

One of my favorites is lentil and split pea soup.

If I make soup it’s all I eat. Maybe a salad too.

Of course, here in New Orleans we do a fantastic gumbo, crawfish bisque, oyster artichoke, corn and crab, lots of soup made with our local seafood. Yum 😋
(1)

Thank you Pam, sounds easy and delicious. Also sounds like Monday's dinner.

Grilled Basque chorizo, rice and fresh peas tonight.
(1)

Cwillie, I am so on board with the wine.. LOL Mom has been needy all day.. at least dinner was a hit! Might have to try the rice addition next time..
(0)

Pam that sounds a lot like what we used to call 7 layer casserole, except that usually had a layer of rice too.
I had my girl friends here this afternoon with lots of wine and snacks so I should probably have something healthy to top it all off, but on the other hand maybe I'll just finish the wine :)
(3)

Ha ,
i was watching ' sanford and son ' on youtube last night . a temporary housekeeper asked fred if he liked boiled mutton . he asked her " does anybody ? " .

it was pretty funny in red foxx ' voice and demeanor .
(0)

Yep, its easy ISthis.. slice the potatoes, and layer them in a casserole ( however much you want),, with the raw ground meat, maybe some onions and peppers if you like, salt and pepper. Make a few layers.. then top it off with canned crushed or diced tomatoes, and some broth if you want. ( I don't add broth, the tomatoes are juicy, but hubs does and its still great, just wetter) Then bake at about 350 until the potatoes are soft ( the meat will cook fine..) Some people sprinkle some parm on the top. Its great by itself or with a side of garlic bread!
(2)

Pam, yummmmm, can you share the recipes please?
Thank you!
(1)

Hubs made "Spanish potatoes", one of MY grandmothers recipes that we love. Potatoes, ground meat, tomatoes! Some seasoning and bake it up. Mom is eating a big bowl right now and said her Mom would be proud!
(4)

my pot of rib tips and egg noodles went over so well i made another . i opened a mystery can the first time -- thought it was carrots . it was whole kernel corn . i added it anyway .

the second time i added corn deliberately .

becky ,
i got on a cornbread binge a couple of years ago . thought it was a great snack -- until -- i looked up the calories . yipes .
(1)

id ' thumbs up ' that potato soup a half a dozen times if i could .
its been pouring rain in indiana all day too .
(0)

Cold, wet day. Made a pot of loaded baked potato soup.
(3)

Big crockpot of chicken n’dumplings and a broccoli and rice casserole. My progressive dinner group will be here at 7:00. They will stop at the first home for cocktails and second house for salad. After my home we go downstairs to dessert and coffee with two different hostesses/host. This is a new group I’ve joined. We’re all in the same high rise condo. I thought it would be a good way to meet more of my new neighbors.
(5)

Hanna,

Can you freeze meals? I always cook extra and freeze in single portions when I want to have small meals stashed away for convenience.
(1)

well, having to prepare dinner every night, every day for my mother is a real pain. I hate to cook and don't cook for myself. but now I have to stop what I am doing every f-ing day about 5pm and get take out or make dinner. I hate it. My life is not my own anymore. not to mention all the other crap I have to do for her. I do not want to do this at all.
(4)

Had to Google rivel. Never heard of it. Mini, dumpling like made with egg, milk and flour. Will try that some time.

Me, first shot at homemade green chili with pork. Bought roasted chili's at pumpkin patch and corn maze yesterday with dd2 and granddaughters. We had fun as I thought about making chili. Mmmmm, with a cheese quesadilla.
(2)

We had leftover chicken, and Mom loves chicken and waffles.. so hubs is making that for her tonight. I will have leftover chicken and broccoli casserole ( it turned out wonderful). Tomorrow DD is coming after work, and we will make chicken corn soup with rivels!
(2)

old ( ex ) soldiers understand . in the face of death and unspeakable carnage there is not only room for -- but a need - for humor .
i can take it as well as dispense it .
i told my detective a couple weeks ago that my son should have started out with smaller bullets and built up an immunity .
my son would have laughed his ass off at both statements .
humor aint going away until my last breath . sometimes its about all you have left to hold on to .
(1)

eh , saps.
people arent ever going to come together till we cut the " stick up the ass " charade and can laugh at ourselves and each other .
too much drama , not enough humor .
(1)

what cwillie said days ago is true . i have some ingrained " ism's " .
trying to tone it down in my old age tho , be more inclusive . ive been learning some spanish to show my good intentions .
" el build- o the wall-o - " .

not bad for just a couple of weeks .
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter