Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
The "cousins" (8 kids, ages 5-15, in the grand-kid generation plus a couple of extended family friends) started showing up at 5:36am Friday morning, or earlier if you consider the two who had a "sleep over" Thanksgiving night. Parents can work or shop, kids just want to spend time with their cousins. When they were small, I babysat this group every weekend; now the cousins include 3 teenagers and they communicate and "schedule" their own visits. So Friday was an on-demand cooking day. Breakfast was pancakes, both original and blueberry, eggs, bacon, and some blueberry muffins. In addition to leftovers, lunch needed one pot spaghetti and supper was grilled sandwiches (cheese, ham & cheese, turkey & cheese), oven baked french fries and raw veggies with dip. Mom joined the group watching Disney+ movies in the living room most of the day before retiring to her room and immediately falling asleep. Today I cooked chili beans and some cornbread for lunch; afterwards Mom and I enjoyed the peace and quiet of a rainy day for afternoon naps. Tonight I packed the electric grill back up while hoping I need it again over the Christmas school break.
(4)

man .
i mentioned potatoes on here and in a matter of minutes youtube is trying to show me how to microwave a potato .

i sure hope there arent any potato related crimes in my region of the usa any time soon .
i think the us government needs to get with the program and protect us from spying corporations but i dont think its going to happen . big money gets special consideration in this country .

explains why this site doesnt advertise much . theres money to be made in just selling our words and thoughts .
(1)

I'm waiting for a good sale on potatoes Captain, no way I'll pay the more than $1/lb they want at my local store.
I came home with a giant rutabaga that was left lying undamaged on top of a plowed field. For now it's been tossed in my garden shed, I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do with it later.
(1)

im just about " up " for potato soup . got a 10 lb bag for 99 cents . getting smarter in my old age . i shant make much at a time because that stuff will start fermenting in a matter of a day or so -- even refrigerated .

too low in acid i suppose .
(2)

NHWM...thanks I do feel more human today.
Amazing how much a shower will improve how you feel.
I might actually get out today..no I have so much to do here in the house and I still feel bad if I expose anyone to this. So clean off the coffee table, wash the floors and do the laundry..that is my goal!
(2)

Send, Thanks. Will do. I haven’t had it before.

Feel better, Grandma.
(0)

NHWM,
Google Turtle Pie!
It may be available at Marie Callendars ir Coco's.
(1)

Way too much of a good thing....we had the last of the deviled eggs.
Will be juicing celery tomorrow, then reconsidering my overall diet.
We did, however, have a nice spinach salad yesterday.
(0)

I have been hunkering down in the house with a cold. Stayed home yesterday and the family brought me a plate of leftovers. Had those for dinner tonight.
All I can say is I am Hallmarked and Lifetime movied out!
(2)

Shell,

What’s turtle pie? Turtle, like the candy?
(0)

Polarbear, LOL...😵

Today, Chicken Rice Roni with turkey and green bean casserole. Turtle pie for desert.

Tomorrow, Potato soup with turkey in it. Pumpkin or Turtle pie.
(2)

What's for dinner? Of course left over turkey.
(2)

Volunteered serving food and then went out to eat. Hope all of you had a pleasant Thanksgiving. Holidays can be tough. They are way too commercialized for me. I say, do what fuels your heart.
(3)

OK, I'm jealously imagining all my American friends undoing their top buttons so they can make room for another piece of pie. Dinner here was a kind of shortcut chicken tetrazzini I hashed together from leftovers (eh, just so so).
No pie 😢
(5)

Baked salmon, baked sweet potato with cinnamon sprinkled on it and broccoli.
(5)

I brought Popeye’s spicy, fried chicken, with dirty rice, and a biscuit to share with my mother (she had non spicy). She loved it!
(1)

i had a plate of french fries just to give the chili a break .

its sunday and of course im reflecting on the painful slowness of our local justice system . they know what theyre doing but they cant tell me . ( only if they WANT something leaked ) . Ha Ha
( great backstory there . )
(0)

Baked potatoes steamed broccoli and shrimp
(0)

Sendhelp,

I love breakfast for dinner!
(1)

Breakfast was really good. My dH said so.

Well, he has said "good eggs" everyday for the last 19 years.
(Everyday we have had eggs, that is).
(1)

Spaghetti with shredded cheese.
(2)

i eat only a few of the chicken livers / onion when theyre first done . they are so much better as a cold snack .
(3)

Captain...oh another one! My sister kidded me all the time when she found out my Husband loved chicken livers..she said the two people on the face of the earth that love chicken liver found each other.
Dirty Rice or as he called it Chicken Livers/Rice a Roni was a favorite meal of his.
(3)

I'm doing a sheet pan meal with some green beans, onions, ginger carrots, a sweet potato and a piece of frozen battered fish. Oh yeah, I tossed on some potatoes I had left over from the other day too. Should be ready in about 20 minutes.

I've always said the secret to good soup is the stock, if your base is flavourful you can toss in almost anything and it will be wonderful.
(4)

Chicken soup is soothing when we are sick. Barb, hope your family feels better soon. My grandma made the very best soup! She taught me.
(1)

Chicken soup; DH has caught Pickle's cold. For reference, Pickle is my granddaughter and her picture is my current avatar. She is delicious. But currently quite snooty (in a literal way).
(2)

im gonna fry some chicken livers and onion . you cant get too much onion in the mix .
i made my forest beer trip and was cordially received . they sent me home with some ' shine ' to fortify the next batch of beer and even offered to help me work up a load of firewood if i come out on thanksgiving .
i cant imagine it taking 4 men to work up a ' slightly fattened ' s-10 full of firewood but it was a kind offer anyway .
id like to be a fly on the wall when their homemade beers are gone and they have to go back to their canned american ( rice ) swill . be a moment of realization for sure .
(1)

Oh I would definitely have the dessert first since it is cobbler not that your other courses don't sound delicious.
(1)

Mesquite grilled steak, salad, beans, garlic bread and maybe some cobbler for desert. Usually I don't have enough room for desert, I think I will have it 1st 😁
(1)

My father is no longer alive. He died from MRSA after open heart surgery. He still cooked towards the end,passing away at 82.

I sort of gave up with lasagna but thank you for the suggestions. I was intrigued to try the matzoh version. I no longer eat meat but yes Greek desserts are wonderful. I was also close to my Greek grandmother who also was a wonderful cook. We weren't exactly sure of her age as she was born in a small village but she was around 98 at least when she passed. I miss them both terribly and I am tearing up as I write this. I probably spelled that wrong but can't think of another version.

I am trying my best with my mother and she really is not difficult compared to many stories here but I am struck by how many lose the parent they were closer to first. My parents were divorced but remained amicable. Anyway I realize I am getting off topic from the point of this discussion so apologies to those who want to hear about dinner.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter