Follow
Read More
Roast chicken and roast turkey are not the same at all, no problem having both of them. My trick for lots of gravy is using a box of chicken broth as well as the broth from preboiling the neck and giblets, there's almost too much gravy then.
(3)

Roasted chicken. A method to my madness. You might ask "Aren't you having turkey in no time at all? Answer is yes. BUT, I always make a ton of mashed potatoes and always run out of gravy. Moreover I like the gravy on bread for lunch sometimes. SOOOOOO this year what with having the freezer and all, I am making a ton of gravy. Starting today with the Roast chicken and carrots, potatoes, and so on. This bird is gravy.
(1)

EB,

😂 hahaha

I have to go to the store. I am going to recruit hubby as my sous chef!
(2)

NeedHelp, did you make that pie yet? Just kidding.
(1)

Thanks Llama 🤪
(1)

I used to make a from scratch chocolate cake with from scratch chocolate icing. Took one to a family reunion one year and there was not a piece left. I'll post the recipe soon.
(4)

EB,

I will. I just want to try. I’m hoping to get it right.

I used to be very intimidated by cooking when I first married because believe me, I really goofed several times!

My husband would look at me and say, “Honey, would you like to go out to dinner?” I would look at him and ask, “Is the dinner that bad?” After I tasted it, I would say, “Let’s go out!”

It took me awhile to learn certain dishes. I didn’t give up and did learn to cook and enjoy cooking.
(2)

Thanks Cwilly,
Now, I am thinking of double layer of chocolate cake with white butter cream between the layers and chocolate frosting. I should make a cake tomorrow.🤪
(4)

I want cake. Not a twinkie or a cupcake or a cake-like dessert but a piece (or two) of real honest to god cake with layers and and icing. Three layers. Chocolate. 🤤

yeah, not gonna happen (sigh)
(8)

NeedHel, let us know how your apple pie comes out. There is nothing like a homemade apple pie warm from the oven. Good luck!
(2)

Alva, Here are a few items I use for a quick meal when I am too busy to cook. Both are delicious.

Trader Joe's Turkey Burgers, only three ingredients which includes turkey, kosher salt, rosemary extract. 180 calories

TJ Riced Cauliflower stuffing with carrots, dried cranberries, leeks, onion and celery.60 calories
(1)

Oh, Golden

Thank you! 😊

Wish me luck! I would like to surprise my hubby with an apple pie that isn’t from the bakery!

What is icing sugar? Is that regular granulated sugar or powdered sugar?
(1)

eb - urw is "your are welcome"

cwillie - I think the icing sugar is for color. I can't imagine it's for taste. The baking powder may well help this dough be so resilient to handling.

I used to make a short pastry (very rich due to lots of fat and crumbly) without a recipe. I had the "feel" of it and it was easy to get right. Couldn't do it now.

Good news the veggie burger (lettuce wrapped) is sitting well. I had mushrooms and cherry tomatoes with the eggs last night. Seems the more veggies the better. I can eat beans, cabbage, onions and such with impunity.
(1)

We have always used lard too, my recipe is similar to Golden's except for the interesting addition of baking powder, I imagine it kind of guarantees a lighter crust. The icing sugar is different too but I'm not sure how that amount could make a difference.
It took me years to finally get halfway decent at making pastry, I was always so focused on the admonitions to be sparing of the amount of water that I found the dough difficult to handle, when I realized that more moisture = painless handling pastry making became much easier. Unfortunately this was about the time when everyone was leaving home so I haven't had much reason to practice, it's simpler to just buy a crust when you are only cooking for one or two.
(0)

Hi golden, what is urw? The veggie burgers sound so good. I was allergic to eggs for years but the last few years I became non allergic. It is so good to be able to eat eggs again. I had another allergy test a few years ago, perhaps you could get tested.
(1)

urw eb :)

on another note I seem to be able to tolerate eggs. Going to try the veggie burgers (soy based).
(0)

Thank you, golden.
(1)

Sure. Dorothy swore by lard for her pies. I have only used lard myself, but I expect that butter or shortening could be used. The results might be slightly different but still good I think. Let me know how it turns out.
(1)

Golden, good old lard, my grandmother used lard and her pie crusts were flaky and tender. I guess you use lard like butter right? I would like to try your recipe for turkey pot pie. Can I substitute with butter and will the taste, texture be about the same?
(2)

Here is the pie crust recipe I mentioned. I have added some instructions as nhwm has not done pies before.

Dorothy’s Never Fail Pie Crust: a very different recipe that works very well,

5 c flour
1 lb lard
1 tsp icing sugar
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tbsp vinegar
Water

Put egg in measuring cup. Add 1 tbsp vinegar. Fill with water to I cup and mix.
Mix dry ingredients then rub or cut in lard (cut lard in chunks and rub with fingers or use pastry blender till the mixture is evenly crumbly with lard the size of small peas )
Then add wet ingredients and mix. Form into a ball.

Roll out on floured surface.  Makes about 6 single crusts.  Leftovers can be used for tarts, turnovers or anything you can think of. I used to make the kid’s initials for them.

There are lots of tips online for pastry. like rolling the cut crust over your rolling pin to transfer onto a pie plate. This dough withstands handling very well.

Optional: egg wash – mix one egg and a little milk and brush on crust before baking. For golden colour add a little icing sugar.

For empty crust line the pie plate with the dough and prick all over with a fork. Brush with egg wash and bake at about 375 for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

For double crust pie like apple, fill with fruit mixture, put on top crust, prick and egg wash, put on a baking sheet to catch drips,and bake at about 350 degrees for about ½ hour. Check that fruit is bubbling to show it is done. If edges are getting too brown cover them with strips of tin foil.

For little tarts, cut rounds with a glass, and place in muffin tins, Use any filling you like – jam, lemon curd, mince meat, and bake, or bake empty, wait till empty shells cool and fill with pudding etc.

This dough can be frozen and used later.

Good luck. I figured you could play football with this dough and it still would turn out well. it was great when the kids wanted to bake as it couldn't be overhandled.
(2)

Thanks for a good laugh today, NeedHelp. Your husband was a good sport. Hilarious story.
(1)

Coffee tops my list, Golden! My doctor laughed at me when she asked if I drank. I said, “Occasionally.” She asked how much? When I told her 3 to 4 days a year. She said, “That doesn’t qualify as a drinker!” Hahaha
(2)

Drink - last bottle of Bristol Cream sherry lasted me 10 years. I would partly fill a liqueur glass, have a little sip then put it down and forget I had it. That was well over 10 years ago and I haven't bought another one. I will take had a glass of wine with a special meal out but I don't keep and booze in the house. I prefer my calories in other forms.
Coffee is a biggy for me, some tea, and some diet pop. Just hot water with lime or lemon is good too.
(3)

Goodnight, I am going to bed soon too.
(1)

NeedHelp, I loved music class when I was in school I learned at an early age to appreciate classical music. Love the Sound of Music, it is my all time favorite movie. My parents took me to see the movie when it first came out. The education was excellent .The sisters were so kind to me. I respected them highly. When I became an adult I would visit the school and take some of the nuns to church services. It was great to see them again .Well I am going to retire for the night. Good night.
(2)

EB,

Sister would have smacked you for that error in spelling! Hahaha 😂

Me too, when I goof! Sometimes it is typing too fast and sometimes autocorrect is evil! LOL
(1)

Gershun and EB,

I haven’t thought about this in years! I have to tell you a funny wine story.

Our daughter was about six months old. We went on vacation to California.

We flew into San Francisco, and traveled all over to different areas in California, including Napa and Sonoma wine country.

We were enjoying a wine tasting. I don’t drink a lot and I guess the wine sampling creeped up on me.

My husband was holding our little girl. It was time to feed our daughter but instead of placing her bottle of formula in our baby’s mouth I accidentally put the bottle in my husband’s mouth! Hahaha

He looked at me and said, “Honey, that is enough wine tasting for you!”
(2)

Correction from recent post. Smack instead of snack. I type too fast.
(2)

Gershun,

That is funny! A little Bailey’s at your mom’s age is nice.

I love all kinds of tea. Green tea is great!
(1)

I do not drink. I like my tea, coffee in the morning. Since the pandemic I drink a cup every day, my brother likes me to make him his morning coffee so I join him. Never liked the taste of booze. I would rather have a glass of cold lemonade.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter