Follow
Read More
I've never had tamales, it's just not available here. (I'd love to try some though)
(1)

Sounds great, Polar.

I am kind of in the mood for seafood tonight. Am leaving the house in a bit to go buy shrimp or fish.
(0)

I made tamales with left over chicken stew. The liquid from the stew was used to flavor the dough, along with water, some bacon grease and some puree Halloween pumpkin to soften and moist the dough. Came out good. Husband and kids like them.
(0)

If we have a household of only one or two people, we have too much food. We can share or freeze. I do both.

Not all recipes can be cut in half.
(1)

EB,

I have made banana bread with sour cream. It does make a very moist banana bread, not dry at all. So, I bet that your cake will be delicious! Llama posted a winning recipe!
(2)

I think I am going to made Llamas homemade chocolate cake recipe today after I go grocery shopping. Oh boy!!
(2)

Let’s not forget about the comfort and healing of food during this holiday season.

I may not be a perfect person. No one is, but I am a great southern cook!

I used to volunteer at the food bank. I care about everyone having a warm meal every single day.

Even a delicious sandwich is good. When I was going through my mom’s home after Hurricane Katrina, women from a church came by and delivered sandwiches and bottled water. I was very grateful! No stores or restaurants were open.

I frequently give money to homeless people that I see in my city.

My heart is heavy thinking about those in isolation because of Covid-19.

We can still share what we have with others. I have always done this. You can too!

Cook extra and give to a portion to an elderly neighbor or a family in need during these hard times. Many people are out of work.

Meals cooked with love taste better! The next best thing is buying food and giving it with love.

Please share with others this year and be thankful that you have surplus to share.

This holiday season will be very different.

We have the opportunity to be a blessing to others. Isn’t that what we should be focusing on this year?
(2)

earlybird: This cake IS moist. Enjoy!
(1)

Shell: You're very welcome. The cake is moist. Enjoy!
(2)

NeedHelpWithMom: it is very yummy!
(1)

You made me laugh this morning, cwillie. Love the crazy smile!
(0)

I don't know how your diet works earlybird but one that allows that cake sounds like something I should get into 🤣
(2)

Homemade wild blueberry muffins, pumpkin coffee.
(1)

Wow, Llama, Your cake recipe sounds so delicious. This should fit into my diet just fine. I never had cake with sour cream but I bet it makes the cake more moist.
(1)

Thank you Llama!
I was wondering what you use so your chocolate cake wouldn't be dry. I will be making your chocolate cake. It looks to be yummy!

Your frosting does sound good. You just made my day!!

Thank you for sharing it.😋💞
(1)

Llama,

That recipe looks amazing! Yummy 😋!
(1)

NO-FAIL SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKE
1-3/4 unbleached all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cups butter, softened
2 cups sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour 13x9x2 baking pan. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & salt. Add in softened butter, sour cream, eggs & vanilla. Beat for 3 min. on med. speed. Pour into pan & bake for 40-45 minutes. Test center with toothpick. Cool in pan on wire rack.
FROSTING
1 cuo semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups confectionerss' sugar
In heavy sauce pan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes. Place in large mixing bowl; add sour cream & vanilla; beat until blended. Add confectioners' sugar & beat until light & fluffy. Spread over top of cake. Store in refrigerator until ready to cut & serve
(6)

Shell: No, I never made the chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting because, quite frankly, the chocolate frosting was SO good. That would be a good change out, though.😀

And you're very welcome.
(2)

Swish steak for dinner. No chocolate cake🥺

I could eat mashed potatoes and gravy everyday...you can never have to much gravy!!😜

Llama, have you ever made a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting? 🙃
(5)

Not sure what is for dinner but while I'm thinking about it I'm having a peppermint crunch ice cream sandwich. Actually, I may have more than one and call it a meal. :)
(6)

SendHelp, I don't blame you one bit. Respect for cooking 50 years absolutely. The family knows not to complain or tell me how to cook otherwise they will get canned soup and store bought meals. I can take constructive criticism from my dear mom, she was an amazing cook and baker. Learned from the best.
(2)

Dinner,
Butternut squash soup, chopped pecans.
(3)

Lol Cwillie.....

Maybe you have a good point there! I(f he is thinking at all),
325 degrees farhenheit = 162.xxx degrees Celsius.

Does that explain high heat to boil water is turned so low that it will never boil?He now is using an oven thermometer and a meat thermometer. Nice, if he could read it accurately, and does not mix it up with the freezer thermometer.

Maybe getting a special chair to sit on and watch his every move would help?

BTW, just read that Walmart has a recall on Romaine lettuce....
(1)

Maybe hubs is baking/thinking in celsius Send.
(1)

My hubs is the sous chef in our home.
He has learned so much lately, that he can sometimes cook the whole meal for us both (pizza). His way, his way only. So, I leave the room often.

Problems?

Yes. He tries to take over my recipes, my way of doing things. So I left the room again, and came back carrying a notice, which read:

50 years of cooking = R E S P E C T

Then I was able to finish the cooking without him demanding his weird way and without criticism. I am not going to ruin a pan that I have had for 40 + years!

He doesn't want gravy anyway, he says. But loves it if I cook it. Yum.
He likes gravy over biscuits, has requested it before. There is frustration cooking for a picky eater. If he is cooking, (for example, pizza), I might be in the bedroom but I come out when it smells like it's burning. It has rarely burned too much to eat!

Making brownies today. (The cake-like brownie recipe). He always turns down the heat so it takes an extra hour to cook it. Lol. I am on to him! We will get through this! In the meantime, I am loving the pizza we had last night, and am grateful for the break.

And Popcorn! His Popcorn is great! Just not every time, because he sets the settings quirky. It happens! 🍿
(4)

I make bone broth from the carcass. Boil it with a splash of vinegar until the bones are soft. The vinegar leaches out the calcium and lots of protein from the bones. The liquid will gel (set) when cooled. You can make soup from the bone broth. The foamy stuff actually is protein. Doesn't look good but nothing wrong with eating it,

I usually roast chicken or turkey and use the carcass from that once most of the meat is off it.
(3)

Carcass? You dont boil chicken or turkey then throw the water away because of the foamy stuff on top? Just curious.
(2)

Talking about gravy, I absolutely love homemade gravy. I love it with creamy mashed potatoes. I will probably make a roast on Sunday.
(5)

There's never too much gravy! My kids used to eat cold gravy on yorkshire pudding the day after a roast beef dinner. I made turkey tetrazzini with leftovers from a turkey dinner. They also loved gravy on bread. Nowadays I put any extra gravy in soup made from the carcass.

Now I'm thinking again about chocolate cake and icing. Haven't had that in years.

Breakfast was a frittata made with shredded cabbage and onion as the veggies. Got the idea from a face book post. It was good, but then I am a cabbage lover.
(5)

CWillie, I use all your secrets, and some of my own. I find them close enough to mix together, their drippings being pretty much the same to me. I love Trader Joe's gravy as well, and when I think of it I get more than a few boxes. Unfortunately, this last trip I didn't think of it, and with Covid-19 those hops onto the bus for whatever I want when I want it are gone. Color me inauthentic on the gravy, but just so there's a LOT of it. My favorite thing with roast beef, as well. You can skip all the rest, just give me the gravy and potatoes! My step daughter claims my gravies are ALWAYS inauthentic what with my letting out the bourbon (or is it brandy).
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter