Follow
Read More
EB,

I hope that you don’t mind me giggling but I was cracking up when I read that post. It was funny! Also very cute!

I adored my mom’s mom. We were very close and she shared her true feelings with me.

I felt privileged because she didn’t even tell my grandfather some of the things she told me.

Of course, I kept her secrets! Most of them I agreed with and like your mom she was so incredibly sweet!

She used to tell me how much she loved me for being a part of her life. I loved going to her house, taking her out to eat, etc.

None of my brothers ever went to see her after they were on their own. I stayed close to her until she died.

I wish my kids could have known her. She would have adored them and I know they would have loved her.

I had fertility issues and didn’t have children until later.

My mom was a fabulous grandmother to my children while growing up. I am grateful for that.

Your mom sounds awfully cute. There is something in your stories about your mom that reminds me of my grandma. You can take that as a huge complement! Like I said, I adored my grandma.

Yes, comments made once in awhile that truly aren’t made with any malice are so very funny!
(1)

NeedHelp, thank you for your nice reply. My mom thanks me all the time and she is truly grateful about her care. I always tell her no thanks needed. It is only rare she makes a comment like that one. She is the sweetest person I know. I have to turn my head and laugh quietly because I did not want her to see me and think it is ok to make comments like that. Very unusual for my mom, though. The chili did look a little greenish black so maybe not so appetizing looking and the avocado did change the taste a bit but not for the better. I always do a taste test first and it was ok but not great, thought she would not notice it, lol.
(1)

Llama,

Reference to older people was about EB’s mom ‘speaking her mind’ about chili with avocado mixed in it.

EB’s mom cracks me up! She sort of reminds me of how my grandma was, no filter, but in a humorous way. Not at all meant to be hurtful to others. Just being honest, like a small child is completely honest. We aren’t going to sell them on anything!

They know what they like. I kind of like that spunk and giggle at the comments made.
(2)

Breakfast this morning:
Organic Buckwheat wild blueberry pancake (one) with VT maple syrup, vanilla coffee
(3)

Hello Sendhelp, I was thinking of something different to make. Homemade spaghetti sauce sounds good. I simmer mine for hours too. It is my moms recipe without the meat. I make a big batch and freeze half.
(2)

Spaghetti.
Very slowly simmered sauce.
Ate very early, about 4 p.m.

Then had a nice salad later with poppy seed dressing.

No snow here, but in nearby mountains. A rainstorm has started, very noisy.
Yesterday it was spring-like, two of the most beautiful days ever! Today, it is winter again. Summer, winter, spring or fall, we appreciate them all!
(5)

Thank you Llama but, actually I was referring to you (as well as many others!) when you said you "continue to have a full plate" :)
(2)

NobodyGetsIt: Prayers for lesser plate fulls for you.
(2)

NHWM: You're taking about older people?
(0)

Thanks, Elaine. Looks yummy!
(1)

"Bridger,"

Yes, I realized that when I reread it - I just had to laugh at myself for reading/interpreting it wrong!
(2)

NGI, Bottle of formula. Growing but not that fast
(2)

"Bridger,"

I think I need a nap - badly!

When I read "We had Chinese; he had a bottle." I said to myself "he had a bottle of beer ( or wine)???" - "Growing changing." - I'm thinking young adult. I know babies grow fast but, not that fast!

Geez!!!
(3)

Grandson was with us for dinner. We had Chinese; he had a bottle. Growing changing.
(2)

"Elaine" and "NHWM,"

I found my beef brisket recipe that I made years ago and am posting the recipe to try in your instant pot.

Buy a 3-4 lb beef brisket leaving the fat on at this point and season all sides with kosher salt rubbing firmly into the meat; cut in half against the grain (it should look like you have two triangular pieces). Place a little oil in a frying pan on the stove and turn to high heat. Sear one piece at a time, fat side down first pressing down with the back of a stainless steel spatula or tongs; turn over and repeat, take out and set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl mix the following ingredients for the sauce and set aside:

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard

I did not use yellow onions in mine but, you can if you want that extra flavor. So you can chop 3 small/medium onions.

Place your trivet in the pot; place one piece of the brisket fat side up and if using onions, pour 1/2 of them on top. Then place 2nd piece of brisket fat side up on top of first piece at an angle (criss-cross). Cover with rest of the onions (if using).

Pour sauce on top of the meat; if onions fall off, place them back on top of the meat; cover with lid and seal. Use the "manual" or "pressure cook" setting. If you want super tender meat, cook for 75 minutes; if you prefer tender meat that is slightly firmer, cook for 60 minutes. When done, regardless of time, natural release for 15 minutes and then do a quick release. Remove meat to a cutting board and let cool slightly.

Mix 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. of water mixing well to make a slurry. Add to the sauce in the instant pot stirring until thickened (the pot will be in the "keep warm" mode since the meat is finished cooking).

Trim off any fat - slicing meat across the grain and add to the thickened sauce. Transfer to your dinner plates - goes great with garlic mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

Servings: 10-12
(5)

Son is working in nearby town that has Chinese restaurant. So.Chinese it is
(2)

I've been waffling between making a red lentil dahl or a recipe for Thai red curry with chick peas from the back of the V-H sauce jar....?
I think I'm going with the dahl, but I'm going to ad lib the recipe with a few additions and substitutions to make it into more of a soup than a stew. I've got some naan to go with it.
(1)

Stuffed peppers. Mixed green salad.
(3)

Restocking the freezer continues. Today I’m doing vegetable beef soup and chicken and dumplings. Also making individual Mac and cheeses for my youngest son.
(2)

Llama,

I am only taking about older people being transparent in a humorous way. Some of their comments are hysterical! Oh my gosh, some of the things my grandma told me I could never repeat but it was hilarious!

She never told my mom those things. She confided in me and told me all of her secrets and some of her expressions were absolutely precious! I adored her humor and honesty!
(4)

"Elaine,"

So glad to hear that you thought the spareribs came out AMAZING!!! and DELICIOUS!!! I know a lot of people like to put them on the grill in the summertime but now ribs aren't just for summer anymore, with the instant pot you can enjoy them all year long! (I'm starting to sound like a commercial jingle)!

It really doesn't matter what kind of ribs you use - it's actually whatever types someone prefers. I just used what the YouTuber recommended.

Thank you for thinking of my mom -

"NHWM," I bet you're really getting motivated to get those ribs going!

"Llama," A lot of full plates around here - both dinner and otherwise!
(3)

NHWM: I had to laugh about your comment that elders can say whatever they want. My mom used to say that and I said "No, not at risk of offending a bunch of people. That's rude."
(2)

NobodyGetsIt: You're very welcome. And thank you - I continue to have a plate full.
(1)

Elaine,

Fantastic! I want to try those soon.
(2)

Nobodygetsit, I hope your mom is doing ok. Keep us posted.
(2)

Nobodygetsit and Needhelpwithmom, we had the ribs in the pressure cooker tonight for dinner. It was AMAZING!!! SO DELICIOUS!!! We bought spare ribs, the store didn’t have any baby back ribs.
(2)

NGI,

You are very welcome. Will continue to send prayers, hugs and love your way.
(2)

"earlybird," - I will keep you posted. Yes, it's very stressful as the rollercoaster ride begins again. Thank you for your prayers and thank your family too for me.

"NHWM," - I appreciate you joining EB in prayers for our family.

"Bridger," - Thank you for the well wishes. Your pots of chili and cheddar baked potato sound so good - great comfort food.

"Llamalover," - Thank you for praying for my mom and hope you are doing well and life is starting to get back on track after having so many appointments the last couple months.

"Shell," - I appreciate your thoughts, prayers and hugs! Chinese food sounds so good.

Thank you to all of you!
(5)

EB,

Thanks for the laugh! Your mom is a hoot! She certainly speaks her mind. No more avocado in her chili! LOL

I suppose that is a privilege of getting older! Old people are have one huge similarity with children. They are both completely honest and tough to sell on anything that they dislike!

I kind of like that spunk, as long as it is only on occasion.

It does seem like your mom is grateful for all that you do for her. So, she can have a free pass once in awhile. 😊

I do like hearing your stories about your mom.

We’ve all had our stories to share about the elders in our families.

My dad called every man that he didn’t care for a “joker!”

If he told me, “You are not going to date that joker ever again!” I knew that without a doubt he didn’t approve of him.
(2)

Had Chinese food!

Although, Salmon sounds yummy.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter