Follow
Read More
"Golden" - Oooh, I love the idea of the butter and maple syrup!! Since I'm pre-diabetic, I've been using "Maple Grove Farm's" Sugar Free Maple Flavor Syrup and I actually like it a lot.

That's too bad you have a dairy allergy and I'm sure you have to be somewhat creative with that. I was thinking of the Kraft Parmesan in the green canister but, the Real Parmesan would be sooo much better.
(0)

NGI - if I wasn't concerned about sugar, dairy and calories, I would use butter and maple syrup on squash, But nutmeg adds a nice flavour. I just spray to olive oil on the baking sheet and on the veggies, Real Parmesan would be better but I don't have that option. with my dairy allergy.
(2)

"Golden,"

I've heard of brown sugar on the squash but, not nutmeg - that would be a different twist to try and the dairy free parmesan and herbs sound good for the eggplant. I've made squash but, have never made eggplant although I love eggplant parmesan at Italian Restaurants.

"Shell"

Your dad sounded like quite the chef! I've never heard of using mint on pork tenderloin either. I make pork tenderloin a lot and when I don't have time to do my own, I buy the pre-seasoned ones at Walmart. They have quite a variety so I have tried most of the flavors.
(1)

He sounds like an awesome cook!
(0)

Golden,
My dad never used mint with his lamb. I never figured out why. But using fresh mint goes really well with pork. I would have never thought that as well if it wasn't for my dad. You just want to make sure you cut your mint up fine and not use to much.

He would cut little pockets along the side of the pork loin and stuff with chopped up garlic cloves, mint, bay leaves, sprinkle season salt and EVOO over the loin. I think sometimes he would pure white wine on it and let it sit for a few hours. Man, I miss his cooking!!
(2)

shell - your dad's pork loin sounds awesome. I would never have thought of mint. I use that for a lamb roast.
(1)

Golden,
Your dinner sounds so yummy! I love a good pork tenderloin.

My dad used to make a grill pork tenderloin with mint, garlic, onion, season salt, bay leaves, EVOO and it was so good!
(3)

NHI olive oil - just a little, salt and pepper. Sometimes also nutmeg on the squash, dairy free parmesan and herbs on the eggplant.
(3)

"Golden"

Sounds delicious! Do you put anything on the roasted squash and eggplant?
(2)

Pork tenderloin, roasted butternut squash and roasted eggplant, apple compote. I'll probably have some dark chocolate and coffee later.
(6)

"NHWM,"

Marketing ploy??? Nah, they'd never do a thing like that to their loyal consumers (wink, wink)!
(1)

NGI,

Yes! Remember when the coke recipe changed? Coke addicts were having a fit because it didn’t taste the same.

Always wondered if that was a marketing ploy.
(1)

Roasted chicken with roasted carrots, potatoes, calfower.

I love young fresh coconut and the milk. I will say, I have had very rid (older) coconut and it can be dry & chewing.
(4)

"NHWM,"

Well I'm thinking if I had the real thing, maybe I would have liked it better.

You know just like the old coca -cola commercial says "ain't nothing like the real thing baby!" - "put de lime in de coconut and...." Oh, oh this is going in the wrong direction.
(3)

NGI,

It taste totally different than the bag. It’s really delicious if you enjoy coconut.
(3)

"Polar,"

I've never had fresh coconut although I do see them in the store. So I know the coconut I ate would have been when people passed out Almond Joy or Mounds candy bars at Halloween when I was a kid. I loved the chocolate part but, not the coconut.

So when it came to making the coconut cake, I know I used what comes in the bag in the baking aisle.

If I make that cake again, I will use your suggestion - thank you!
(2)

Not this year due to Covid, but the Zulu Mardi Gras parade decorates coconuts to give to parade goers.

Everyone wants a coconut! Many years ago float riders used to throw them into the crowd.

For obvious reasons, that was banned!

I have only attended Zulu a couple of times. It’s extremely early in the morning and our family always goes to the uptown Rex parade.

One year at a St. Patty’s parade, I was hit in the nose with a cabbage. It hurt!

My godmother had her glasses broken from a drunk Irishman float rider! She was so mad.

St. Patty parades they throw, cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes, lemons, garlic, etc!
(1)

Bridger - fresh young coconut juice is the best drink ever. And the young coconut flesh is soft, sweet and creamy, so delicious. This was what we enjoyed in Hawaii when we went for our honeymoon.

But the dried shredded coconut sold in bags for baking is a poor excuse for coconut. If you can, buy a fresh mature (not young) coconut, shred the thick flesh in food processor and use for baking. It is so much better.

NobodyGetsIt - you were probably chewing on a piece of mature coconut. It's tough and fibrous, not suitable for eating like that. It's best shredded for baking.
(4)

Me too, Bridger. My dad used to open them for us to eat. So good!

Yes, we drank the milk too.
(2)

I love fresh coconut. I buy it, poke holes in the eyes and drain milk to drink. Crack and peel the rest to eat raw.
(3)

When I was a kid, a picky eater at that, I didn't like coconut. Whenever I tried it, I just kept chewing and chewing and chewing as if it were multiplying in my mouth - it just never seemed to go down the hatch so that's why I never liked it.

I can eat it now. My mom's favorite cake was coconut so one year for either her birthday or Mother's Day I decided to make her one. I think it was a three-layer one and it stood so tall and was white as snow. It looked so elegant and she was very surprised. It was so tender and moist. I would definitely make it again!

"Elaine," Glad you thought the brisket recipe sounded good. I know some people are intimidated with making brisket but, it's all in how you cook it!
(3)

We cannot FIND the oatmeal. 😡
Going back to bed at noon, will try again later. Meh.
(2)

Elaine,

That happens sometimes. We will lose our taste for something.
(1)

EB,

Great! It is easy. We enjoyed it.

That is what intrigued me. I would have never thought to put Dijon in a soup but it does add a nice flavor.

Oh, I have to try it with almond milk. I love almond milk. I only buy the unsweetened one.

My mom, mom’s sister and my grandma cooked really well.

I like a roast too. It’s fairly economical because we eat several meals from it. I love a roast beef sandwich the next day!
(1)

NeedHelp,
Wow! wonderful soup. family loved it. Two of us had seconds. I had to put away a bowl for my mom, otherwise it would be gone. She wants it later, just had her lunch. Empty pot now. Niece was going to have seconds later but I told her it might not be there so she had another bowl. Very quick and easy recipe and the Dijon mustard added great flavor. I copied and pasted the recipe and put it in my files of favorites. Thanks again for this great recipe. So satisfying, indeed.
(1)

Needhelpwithmom, I use to like coconut when I was a kid. But as an adult I can’t stand it. I won’t eat anything with coconut. For me it is the taste and texture I can’t stand, lol.
(2)

CWillie,
Almond butter oatmeal cookies! I would have to start hiding them! Yum!

Thank you for your suggestions, always!
(1)

Nobodygetsit, your brisket recipe sounds delicious!!
(1)

Needhelp,I am Catholic too. We never ate meat on Fridays as a kid. I eat meat occasionally but not too often. I would rather eat fish and vegetables. I do like a roast occasionally, though. I love to save money, I always look for the sales and stock up. My dad was a great shopper, he used coupons and got some of the groceries for free. It seems like you are a great cook too. Must have inherited it from your mom and grandmother, right? Well I have to tend to the wonderful soup. I will let you know how it turns out.
(1)

EB,

Don’t you love great tasting meals that don’t cost a fortune? I do buy quality ingredients, but I will buy smaller amounts.

I guess that’s why I have never kept a Sam’s or Costco membership because we can’t eat that much food! It would go bad. I’m not a shopaholic to buy the other items. I shop predominantly at Whole Foods and a couple of smaller local stores.

I bet most of us would like to spend less at the grocery store!

I don’t serve meat at every meal, not just because of cost. I simply don’t desire it at every meal. My doctor says to eat the colors of the rainbow! That’s how we get our vitamins.

Growing up Catholic, we NEVER ate meat on Friday, nor Ash Wednesday.

My mom didn’t serve meat for each meal though, even if it wasn’t a Friday.

I guess with several kids in the house she had to budget the grocery money closely.

I don’t remember complaining much. She was a great cook!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter