Follow
Read More
I've been reading recipes for gits and they almost all include cups of butter and/or pounds of cheese, no wonder you like them so much!
(1)

Grits in Canada?
"Grits, as a finished dish, has not been a common element of the Canadian diet. But it should be. The raw ingredient, dried and coarsely ground corn, is only a variation of cornmeal, or polenta, so much so that on many menus the terms are interchangeable."

Amazon Canada has grits/polenta:
"Bob's Red Mill White Corn Grits, 680 gm
Brand: Bob's Red Mill"

Substitutes:
"Can you substitute cornmeal for grits? While grits and cornmeal can be substituted for each other, cornmeal is considerably finer and will give you a dish with a much smoother texture than grits."

CWillie, When in Canada, ask a Canadian, Lol.
Ever hear of a "Grit-nap?" Check out this article...
https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/recipes/2013/02/07/canadians_should_try_these_maplela
(0)

Now you have me curiously seeking a local supplier.... I've never looked for grits in the bulk food store, I wonder if I can find some there? Of course that will have to wait until after I can make a trip to the city.
(1)

Cwillie, buy the course ground corn meal for a more authentic experience of grits. White corn if available.
(1)

cwille,

You have stumped me! I have never even thought of that before. We take grits for granted here! LOL

The texture is different for sure. I don’t think it would work out well. If you try it, please let me know!

I like polenta. I have had it in restaurants. Grits are more common here. But you’re right, it’s all corn.

Ooooh, you have me curious now.
(0)

Since I have a southerner to ask I want to know your opinion, is there much of a difference between grits and the basic cornmeal I can buy to make cornbread? If it is just a matter of the different coarseness does that really change things?
(I have used the regular finely ground cornmeal to make polenta)
(1)

cwille,

Could you order grits online?

When my uncle first left New Orleans and settled in New Jersey he had us mail items to him.

Later on he started ordering online. He would order grits, Camellia brand beans, Cafe du Monde coffee, etc.

I sent him Southern Candy Pralines (the best in New Orleans on Decatur St.) and King Cakes at Mardi Gras time.
(0)

I read about grits and I've always been curious to try them but you can't buy them here, I've never seen them in any regular supermarket.
(0)

Bridger,

I had no idea! I always view it as a southern food. I eat with butter, sometimes cheese. Never had with syrup. I love shrimp and grits!

Wow! Glad that your family likes them.

Lucky,

I love cream of wheat. My daddy ate cream of wheat and I wanted everything that daddy had!

My mom never ate breakfast. I guess she was so busy taking care of us that she didn’t have time.

She always said that she wasn’t hungry.
(0)

Need, Grits are popular here - rural eastern Ohio. I serve regularly. I like plain with butter. Husband and sons like with maple syrup. I also fix cheese grits and grits with shrimp S side dishes. We all like fried grits
(1)

Elaine,

That could be a game changer for people who boil lots of eggs at Easter.

Or for people doing large batches of egg salad.

I can definitely see how instant pots are valuable for restaurants and vendors.
(1)

I cooked hard boiled eggs this morning in my instapot and they came out perfect. I pressure cooked them for 7 minutes, then let out the pressure after 10 minutes and soaked them in ice water for 5 minutes. Came out perfect. You can easily do a dozen at a time. If you buy more trivets you can stack them in the pot and cook as many as 36 eggs at a time!! I was thinking of Easter, lol.
(3)

Nobodygetsit, what did you say you cleaned the bottom of your instapot with? Also, what NOT to use on the bottom of the instapot?
(0)

Dinner was late, @ 10 p.m.
Teriyaki Chicken breasts over salad.
(1)

I cooked chicken breast, onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and a half a bag of red lentils with chicken broth in my instspot. My son gave me the recipe. It was delicious. It looked and tasted like a pot pie without the crust.

The lentils is was gave it a thicker texture. It only took 15 minutes to cook in the instapot.
(3)

I used to eat Cream of Wheat everyday for years,but now,I have a graham cracker with peanutbutter on it every morning.
It was cold today,so tonight I wanted to make a nice ,hot dinner.
I made a meatloaf and baked potatoes with broccali and carrots and cornbread with Hello Dollies for dessert.
What's good about meatloaf is,tomorrow,we can have cold meatloaf sandwiches and dinner will be easy~
(4)

I bet that I am the only one who eats grits in this crowd! Hahaha 🤣

It’s a southern thing!
(2)

Gershun,

Steel cut is good.

I like peanut butter, banana and honey or maple syrup on whole wheat.

Peanut butter is good on celery and apples too.
(0)

We had eggs this morning.
(2)

Brown sugar is my second favorite on oatmeal. Maple syrup is first.

Send, it’s good, right?
(2)

NHWM,
Was unable to take advantage of the excellent oatmeal and almond butter cookie recipe, but yes, for the past 3 mornings, we ate oatmeal with almond butter. Varying cranberries, or blueberries, or raisins, with maple and brown sugar in the oatmeal packets.
(2)

I eat tons of oatmeal. It's one of my go to's. I add raisins to it and I have had it with brown sugar. Steel cut oatmeal is supposed to be really good for you. I've been eating a lot of it lately.
(4)

Does anyone eat oatmeal with almond or peanut butter and maple syrup? I love it! I eat Bob’s Red Mill oats.

My husband makes strange peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

He places peanut butter on both sides of the bread and jelly is in the middle!

He says that way the jelly doesn’t make the bread soggy.

I told him that he’s weird! LOL

I do peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other.
(3)

Peanut butter, honey and banana sandwiches are good too. My mom occasionally put those in our lunch bags growing up.

Sometimes if I wake up hungry I'll go and get a spoonful of peanut butter and eat that.
(3)

Mom made grilled peanut butter often. Just like grilled cheese but peanut butter instead. Mom really loved her peanut butter! It became too much sugar for her with Alzheimer's. She became agitated. Had to cut it out of her diet.

My favorite midnight snack? Half a peanut butter Sammy with a small glass of milk. Just a chip off the old block.🍌😋
(5)

Bananas on peanut buttered toast is great for when your tummy says "eat light."
(3)

Sendhelp, bananas and peanut butter on toast with a sprinkle of cinnamon is one of my favorite foods especially when I do not feel like cooking. I just had that yesterday. It is great grilled too.
(5)

Bananas on peanut butter and toast.

We use almond butter because dH seems allergic to peanuts.
(6)

Peanutbutter is great on toast too.That's my favorite~
(4)

Bridger, glad to know I'm not the only one who has toast and jam for dinner occasionally.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter