Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I can’t decide what I want. Hubby got busy with work and had a late lunch so he says he doesn’t want dinner.

Haven’t cooked today. I do have a few things in the freezer.

Does anyone else have those days when they don’t know what they feel like eating?

Sometimes I skip eating if I can’t decide and just drink a cup of tea or something.
(3)

Spaghetti and salad.
(4)

Grape nuts is best served as a hot cereal. Then it doesn't break your teeth and is actually quite tasty.
(3)

My GrandFather ate Grape Nuts with coffee on them.
(5)

NHWM,
Oh... I have seen them. I didn't know what they were called. Thanks for the lesson:)
(1)

Picked up sourdough starter from a friend. I promised myself I wouldn’t do it, but my husband and sons love it. So tomorrow I’ll be making sourdough bread.
(5)

I often do brown rice with a little wild rice - nice favour.
(5)

EB,

I love brown rice. I like the texture of brown rice. Wild rice is nice too.

I do want to start cooking more quinoa. A combo of brown rice and quinoa sounds great!
(2)

Hello NeedHelp, hope you are still doing well from the shot.
I cook brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat, quinoa and oats. I like a combination of two such as brown rice and quinoa.
(1)

Shell,

It’s a tradition during our Carnival season. The tradition dates back to France. Louisiana has a strong French and Spanish history.

It begins on the Epiphany and last until Mardi Gras day.

Everyone eats king cake. It is decorated in our Mardi Gras colors (Purple for justice, Green for faith and Gold for power) and there is a baby baked inside of the cake.

The person who gets the piece with the baby buys the next cake.
(3)

NHWM,
What is King Cake season?🤔
(3)

cwille,

This is King Cake season for us!

Can’t eat it after Mardi Gras though, it’s bad juju.
(3)

en français..
Mardi = Tuesday
Gras = fat
(1)

cwille,

Well, I shouldn’t brag BUT my husband’s pancakes are an indulgence!

Seriously, I understand what you’re saying.

I do love many other desserts.

I suppose pancakes are a sentimental thing for me that goes back to my childhood.

I loved when my mom made pancakes. I do love when my husband makes them too!

We need to half the recipe now though, since we are empty nesters.

Pancakes HAVE TO BE served with pure maple syrup! No fake stuff! No pancake mixes. Has to be from scratch!

Yep, we have ‘Fat’ Tuesday which is our Mardi Gras!

We fast from meat on Ash Wednesday, all Fridays during lent and especially Good Friday.
(1)

I never said I didn't like pancakes NHWM, I just don't see them as an indulgence. Shrove Tuesday is all about using up all the forbidden foods before the Lenten fast, I can think of a lot of more sinful things that I could be putting on my plate.
(2)

Chris,

Grits are fantastic! Definitely part of our southern culture!

Yes, we are all cooking lots more. I hear you about soups. One of my very favorite things to cook!
(1)

And Bridger, home made soup and bread have got me through the worst days of lockdown. There’s something very nurturing about serving that up to my hungry boys while they are working and studying from home at the moment.
(2)

Wait a minute, cwille. You said that you weren’t crazy about pancakes! LOL

Pancakes are a sweet! Gosh, as a kid I wanted them everyday.

My mom bribed me to eat eggs and grits by serving me bacon with them! Hahaha 🤣

I took the bribe and started eating them.

I think mom tired of flipping a bazillion pancakes for all of us.
(1)

Thanks cwillie, I have learned something new today! I have cooked polenta but found it a bit bland. I remember putting it in a cake once and it just tasted gritty. Maybe that’s the connection with grits - a similar texture?
(0)

Ali,

It has been interesting for me and a learning curve for sure!

NGI is the instant pot guru that Elaine and I are learning from. Elaine may be ahead of me!

I am used to cooking the old fashioned way!

I think chicken is the big thing with air fryers. I bet pork would be good too though.

You sound like you have a workable routine concerning school.

My daughter adjusted to online classes too. It’s interesting, isn’t it? It sort of prepared her for working remotely.

Her company in Denver has extended working at home until April. It was March before that.

Here in New Orleans, my husband is still working remotely.
(2)

Grits are a kind of cornmeal porridge Chris that can be served sweet or savoury.... similar to polenta.
(says the woman who has never eaten any 🤣)
(2)

NHWM says "If we ate sweets daily we would soon tire of them." 🤔😶

Nah..... I don't think so.
(3)

What is a grit, please? I am an uninformed English dullard.
(1)

Cold, icy day. I’ve made a hodge lodge of food. Broccoli cheese soup, pork in the pressure cooker, baked bread.
(2)

NeedHelp, the one good thing about all these lockdowns is that I’ve eaten less chocolate and other sweet things as I’m not calling in at shops and cafes all the time. Instead, we’ve eaten far more fruit, vegetables and unprocessed food, which I’m sure has been better for us. My boys grumble sometimes but I keep them happy with occasional treats like today!
(2)

I want to try the air fryer but not sure what to make yet. Chicken seems to be a popular thing to put in an air fryer and I'm not liking chicken lately, haha. I'm in a red meat or pork mood all the time for the past year, no wonder my cholesterol numbers are high.

I just started a new term, this time it's three 10-week courses instead of two, a full-time-plus workload. It's a fast pace but I think I can keep up. I like this learning format online, it's very engaging and I'm practicing what I learn each week instead of studying for weeks then regurgitating info on a multiple choice exam at the end. Tried to think of a nicer word than "regurgitating," especially considering it's the dinner thread... 😆

Maybe I can try pork in the air fryer.

If I made more soups, or had a family, I'd get an Instant Pot. I have a rice cooker and that's really all I ever need. It will do some other things, too, that I never use it for. I love reading everyone's meals and recipes, though!
(1)

Chris,

That is the same thing I do. It’s two meals! Like you say, once in a blue moon!

I think we enjoy it more as a special treat.

If we ate sweets daily we would soon tire of them.
(0)

NeedHelp, yes, and delicious! It was so big it ended up being breakfast and lunch combined! Such a rare treat at the moment.
(1)

Chris,

Yum! Do you mean an almond paste in the croissant with slivered almonds on top of the croissant?

There is a bakery near me that serves those. They are yummy!
(1)

Ali,

How is school going?

You’re a busy lady! Did you try your air fryer out yet?

I am still experimenting with my instant pot! New for me. I think the air fryer would be interesting to try as well.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter