Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I love hearing all of your food experiences! Great cooking on this site!
(3)

Has anyone tried making cornmeal pancakes? I have. They are really good!
(2)

Martha White Corn Meal Mix is good too!
(2)

Fun food day! My husband and I drove to Columbus to take care of some business. We went to our favorite Italian restaurant for lunch and stopped at Amish store to pick up baking supplies. I always find something new to try. Then a stop at a big quilting supply store. Now overnight at my cousin’s home. We’re going to play canasta with her and her husband and her adult grandchildren and two daughters.
(3)

Shell, I recently started making corn bread and it is delicious and moist. I would recommend the brand Indian Head Old Fashioned Yellow Corn Meal, recipe on back, instead of regular sugar I use Turbinado raw cane sugar similar taste to brown sugar, add a tablespoon of orange juice, recommended by a poster here on this site. My family loves it and does not last a day. Great with Chili or soup.
(3)

Chili mac for dinner.

Yes Cwilly, you can have 2 muffins. I only say that because when I make banana bread, I eat a whole loft by myself! LOL

NHWH & Early,
Making granola is pretty easy and cheaper. Plus, you can control how much sugar you put into it. I have been making a batch every week!

Grilled plums are good too! I grill them every year when my SO & I are camping, but he doesn't like fruit of any kind except for bananas.So, I eat them by myself.

Early, I love blueberries. They are my favorite fruit, however, I can't drink anything with blueberry juice because it makes me so sick that I wish I was dead. Doesn't make sense does it?!

Glad, How does Google change Making into Masking or Good to Gold, answer, bad programming! That's what I think!!

Bridger, pulled pork sounds so good. I'll have to make some. Yummy!!!

I should learn to make cornbread! I have never made it!🤔
(5)

Baking some cornbread now.
(3)

I found some sad looking, blackened banana puree in the freezer and made muffins. Or maybe they are cupcakes?

If they are muffins I can have two, right?
(6)

Pulled pork, cole slaw, and baked beans
(4)

Chili, lime, honey. Why would kindle correct lime to like?!
(1)

NeedHelp, I made your broccoli cheddar cheese soup recipe today. My mom and I had it for lunch. We both enjoyed it very much.
(1)

When DD2 was a baby we had a nurse neighbor, a very good friend. She came to the house one day and was quite startled when she saw the color of DD2's skin. Nurse thought she looked very jaundice. Took DD2 to doctor that afternoon myself in quite a panic.

Doc asked what I was feeding her, baby food. Meat and veggie combos by Gerber. Well, doc said the actual meat content in the combos is quite low, and that combos were mostly carrots. You would think she would have been blessed with excellent eyesight for life. Nope.😳😀😉

Went to grocery this morning to get what I needed for wings tomorrow. Didn't need much other than the wings. None to be had that were fresh. Store ordered 20 cases and received only one. Frozen wings it will be. Hope they are as good in the recipe I found last year for chili like and honey I found last year. They were absolutely yummy!
(3)

Hello cwillie, I know it can be expensive that is for sure but I only drink a juice glass daily. According to DR. Fuhrman a little yellowing of the skin is normal consuming carrots frequently. Since I have been drinking carrot juice daily for about 6 months my eyes improved. I have been wearing glasses for distance and reading for about twenty years. I had my annual eye checkup recently, and did not need a prescription for reading or driving. Before I went to the ophthalmologist I stopped wearing my driving glasses because my eyes were blurry, so I was not too surprised with the good news. gladimhere, It is not a myth, lots of beta-carotene in carrots, well know fact it improves eyesight for some.
(2)

I can remember a neighbour who loved her carrot juice so much she started to look jaundiced!
At $7 for 1.5 litres Bolthouse farms is too pricey for me. I've often wondered why the big juice companies don't offer carrot juice blends, tomato juice options predominate and I've never been keen on tomato juice. On the other hand the flavour of carrot juice really depends on having good sweet carrots, I can just imagine all those soapy tasting carrots you sometimes get going into juice 🤮
(2)

Hello NeedHelp,
I do have a juicer. I juiced for years but now use Bolthouse Farms 100% carrot juice. Carrot, apple and celery sounds like a very good combo, must try it sometime. I used to make trail mix, raisins, different kinds of nuts, cranberries, dark chocolate morsels, but never made granola. Great idea, and sounds healthy.
How are you doing after having the vaccine? Any side effects? Did you get fatigued from it? Lots of questions I know, but scheduling an appointment for both my mother and me in a few weeks and a little concerned about getting sick and feeling lousy.
(1)

EB,

Do you have a juicer and make your own carrot juice?

Many years ago as a young person, I worked in a health food store/restaurant.

I made the fresh juices. The most popular one was carrot, apple and celery. It was tasty!
(1)

Bridger,

Anything that you cook sounds yummy! I bet your sons are always happy to sit at your table to share a meal.
(2)

Who makes homemade granola?

I like oats, seeds and nuts in mine, I don’t mind other ingredients but I only use it as a crunchy topping for my yogurt and fruit.
(0)

EB,

Geeeeez! Burning hair!

We have a gas grill. I love grilled foods. All of it! Veggies, meats and seafood.

I heard a chef say that he even grilled desserts for his kids.

He grilled pineapple or peaches and placed ice cream on top. Sounds yummy to me.

What do you grill?
(1)

cwille,

You’re right about the added sugar and fat in granola.

I read all of the ingredients before I purchase anything and if sugar is more than 8 or 9 grams, then I don’t buy it.

The granola I buy is 9 grams of sugar and 2 grams of fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 0 cholesterol and sodium.

The first ingredient on my granola is organic oats. Brown sugar is the second ingredient though, next is the oil.

So, it really isn’t the ‘healthiest’ of cereals. It is yummy!

The sugar definitely adds to the calories. The one that I buy is 150 calories for a 1/4 cup servings.

That’s probably about what I eat of it, maybe a little less than that.

I take Siggi’s yogurt, a handful of fruit, then sprinkle a little granola on top.

If I am having a bowl of cereal I choose a healthier option.

I do love granola as a treat! I would like to try to make it myself.

I buy it from Whole Foods. I wonder if it is cheaper to make it at home.

We had the same breakfast this morning. Scrambled egg in a tortilla. Plus coffee!
(0)

NeedHelp, we grilled all summer last year for the first time and clean up was easy. I now have an electric grill and love it. I bought a gas grill a few years ago and caught my hair on fire when I ignited it, LOL.
(3)

Bridge, what a wonderful considerate son you have.
(1)

This morning for breakfast
Tofu scramble with chopped red pepper and spinach, Smart Bacon which is plant -based, carrot juice and blueberry coffee.
(2)

Shell,

I have done the cereal thing for dinner before.

I used to do that all the time when my husband and I were first married, no kids, and he was traveling quite often with work.

I would come home to an empty apartment after work. I wasn’t really a great cook then, so I poured a bowl of cereal to eat.

Easy peasy, right?
(3)

That's nice! Sounds like you make a good team there!
(1)

My sons came early this am and dug out the cars, shoveled all the walkways and plowed the driveway. I made a big breakfast with all of their favorites. Good trade.
(5)

Send,

That’s interesting. Never heard of doing that.

I think I get sick of my own cooking sometimes! LOL

It’s a treat when my husband cooks. I cook more than he does.

I have a couple of friends that NEVER cook. Their husbands do ALL of the cooking. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t eat! They even do all of the grocery shopping.

My husband does help me cook. He grills too. That I have no clue about. I know how to cook but have never grilled anything.

Hot fudge sundaes are fantastic! Enjoy!
(2)

When you don't know what you want to eat, jumpstart an appetite by taking a small teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
Then you will know that you are hungry, or not.

I want a hot fudge sunday, soon.
(3)

NHWM,
I have days too were I don't know what I want for dinner. I will ask SO what he wants...then I tell him "make it simple" because I am not cooking a whole meal for one person. So he will usually want a hamburger & fries (his go to meal), which I make. I usually will eat a cup of noodles or popcorn or cereal depending how hungry I am & if I want something hot (noodles), or something salty (popcorn), or something cold and sweet (cereal). Boy, doesn't that seem healthy?! LOL! Especially, coming from someone who likes to cook...Go Figure!! We all have our days!
(3)

Lean Cuisine Mac and Cheese. It is actually very good. I wish I had the will power NHWM has.
Blueberry tea.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter