Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
4 5 6 7 8
Tonight was a hurry-up dinner. Had tilapia with parsley butter, fresh fruit on shredded lettuce with poppy seed dressing, garlic mashed potatoes made with buttermilk, and orange/cranberry quick bread. I've got to make menus for the rest of the week and go shopping!
(1)

i usedta blow the family away every now and then with esterhazy steak. just steak, vegs, gravy, baked till they melt essentially.
lol. i can hold my own on this mostly female cooking thread -- but-- i aint eatin no ebelskivers or grass carp. aint gonna happen..
(1)

Who needs tv cooking shows? I just ate, then read this ... and now I'm hungry.
(1)

Windytown! I want to open a "traditional irish Tea room" here like my mum im a pretty good cook but the good healthy irish food has been taken over by prosessed "crap".
We were healthy growing up as we had no mcdonalds,pizzas etc.... we ate well on meat and veg and potatoes real food.
I have some great old irish recipes handed down from my grandma and im hoping it will be a huge sucess?
My star dish will be "beef stew and dumplings"!! AND no captain i will not marry you!!!!!!!!
Gosh youre grilling outside? WOW!
I cant give you anymore of my recipes as i would then have to kill you!! But everyone must come and visit Ireland when im up and running as my main customers will be "american". Yep youre still the tourists with the money!!!!! LOL I can see Captain "drooling" now i know he wants to marry me so ill cook for him!! AH he needs a wifey hes a good guy he just needs to find the right woman who appreciates him and can cook!!
It wouldnt work Captain i intend to have alot of animals around in fact I want " 2 donkeys,2 dogs my cat and am thinking of a pet pig they are supposed to be great pets! Yes its too late for children for me so I will have my little family one day!! Dosnt look like ill have anyone to care for me when im older so had better train these animals to wipe my mum early!!
(3)

I said "mum" i meant "bum". Then i had a thought if i could train my cat to pick up her "nappies" that would be alot off my work!!! NAH even the cat wont go into her room!!
(1)

Tonights menu is roast chicken, hassleback potatoes, brussel sprouts and white wine gravy!! i know mums a spoilt cow!!
(1)

Lobster bisque. Three-cheese ravioli with freshly made pesto.

(Trader Joe's is a good source of fresh basil this time of year.)
(2)

Kazzaa just keep that piggy away from Captain or I have a feeling he'll chuck it in the smoker right quick.
(2)

Jeannegibbs, I do make pesto in the summer when basil is in my garden, with fresh garlic, good pine nuts and of course virgin olive oil. Then I put it in a quart Ziploc bag, flatten it out and freeze it. I break a piece off to make my spaghetti sauce. Yum.
(1)

id throw the dogs in a smoker just as quickly. im old, i dont even make the effort to be civil anymore. and i dont need a wife i need a mortar ho..
he ----phooo
(1)

pstegman, I freeze pesto in a plastic ice cube tray, then dump the cubes into a plastic bag. Same idea, but the batch is already pre-portioned. Love it on pizza!
(2)

home made tomato chicken soup, spaghetti squash (I dumped some in the soup), a banana, a raspberry shortbread-type GD DF cookie, coffee and one square of dark chocolate - wasn't planned - just what I had available that I wanted to eat. When G is away I eat a lot of soup.

Made some cauliflower green bean soup this morning. With a bit of ham in it, it is much like split green pea soup, but lower cal and carb. Will make ratatouille tomorrow and Thai coconut chicken - not to eat at the same meal though. Asparagus and brown rice go with the chicken.

Want to make the impossible coconut pie. Has anyone tried it?
(2)

kazzaa, your tea room sounds lovely. Beef and dumplings? I'll be first in line! I love your sense of humor. I can just picture all of your animal helpers. :)

jeanne, thanks for the tip on TJ's basil. I'm going to start some from seed soon, when I get a spare minute. That will be a looong way until harvest though. Trying to remain optimistic with the Monster Storm approaching. The media sure knows how to hype these things. I hope they're wrong.

emjo, love the low carb cauliflower green bean soup idea. And the ratatouille and Thai coconut chicken sounds fabulous - even together - hee! Could you imagine the potluck dinner we would all put together? Even captain's chicken livers, just keep your eyes off my dog, captain. :)

Tonight I made my dear departed aunt's recipe for Italian meat gravy. She wasn't Italian, but a friend of her's was and she made the best sauce. My aunt charmed the recipe from her. It involves 3 pounds of pork spareribs, 2 pounds of homemade meatballs, lots of sauteed veggies and a long slow simmer in the sauce. My boys weren't home tonight, so the dog and I shared a grilled cheese. But tomorrow, spaghetti! That sauce will be so good after resting a day and I'll need the carbs with the anticipated shoveling.
(3)

edna usedta be a h*** of a homemaker. when visitors came she would produce a meal in a matter of an hour and youd never notice shed left the living room. just effortlessly. interestingly, in hindsight , it wasnt a feast for pigs because she understood proportion. the amounts of each dish was adequate to go around but sparse enough that everyone understood " sharing " . i s'pect shes where my love for cooking came from.
her seasoning was mostly natural , ie ; somewhere in the potatos and green beans youd find a strip of bacon. later in cooking for my diabetic mom i learned that in the absense of too much salt and seasonings you actually tasted the flavor of the food. dont be trying to toss out my crushed red pepper tho -- we'll rumble..
(4)

I made a very yummy chicken soup from the carcass of a rotisserie chicken, some frozen stir fry veggies and a handful of dried onion, dash of pepper and salt and those tiny pastas that look like rice. OMG.... so good.
(3)

Ash Wednesday is March 5th , so lets all slide down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, throw some beads around, eat some Jambalaya and Kings Cake. I plan to give up caregiving for Lent (Mar 5-April19). LOL.
(3)

ooh Captain im impressed give me one of your mums best recipes and i will put it in my tea room I will call its "ednas" in honour of your mum.
I made "queen of puddings" tonight its a winter dish and its yummy!! its a dessert made from breadcrumbs,eggy custard rasberry jam then meringue its delicious. anyone wants the recipe just ask this is great for a cold day! A great comfort food!
(1)

Mom went out. English muffin pizza......ALONE! :)
(2)

psteigman thats a great idea for lent!!!! LOL well i managed to get my sister to get mum to paris for easter she will have her for a whole 12 days YIPPEEIA!!! i hope my sister gets a good dose of how difficult mum is i cant wait until she comes whinning to me of how bad mum was BUT then mum is always so different around her but 12days is hard to keep up an act?
I just want her to see mum at her worst aggressive and well "mad" as i dont think my sister believes how bad she can get if she dosnt get her way!
12 days of nothing to do just me and my cat!
(4)

Tilapia and Asparagus:)
(10)

Out of ice cream. Grrrrrrrr. :(
(0)

Boni, I made an angel food cake two days ago. Box mix, but it's pretty darned tasty when served with strawberries and whipped cream. I'd be happy to share! It can't beat ice cream though.....
(3)

Windy? You deliver? Sounds great! I've got a major sweet tooth. :)
(0)

Hee. My delivery wagon is stuck in the driveway tonight. My bad. :) Would if I could though.
(2)

I made Mom 1/2 of a Manhattan tonight for "happy hour". Today marks 32 years that Dad is gone, and we felt a toast to him was in order.
She still got her can of Coors light with dinner. You can't eat Sausage and pepper heroes without a beer!
I will be pouring her into bed a little early tonight.
(5)

I got a treat last night. A new girlfriend of mine, someone I'd met in the area here, invited me to go to little cafe where she knows owner, another nice lady. And owner made some special treats for us: a lobster bisque with thick pieces of lobster in it, and a greens salad with some tasty pieces of chicken and grapes and pineapples on it with some red wine vinaigrette dressing. It was a really nice small size supper. : )
(5)

Don't mention ice cream. Mom is lactose intolerant, causes massive explosions! She love it, though and is always looking for it. Have bought the coconut milk ones sometimes and she seems to like those.
(3)

Hey glad, have you ever seen the Yonanas Ice Cream Maker thingy? I've always wondered if that worked… supposedly you can just make an ice cream like dessert from mashed bananas?

Anybody ever use one of those things? Because its a great idea for healthy desert, if it works, and tastes good.
(2)

I like REAL Ice Cream. NO low fat! NO low sugar! Lots of chocolate chips, or fudge swirl.Get real AllisonBoBalison! Don't Make me come down there!
(5)

Dinner tonight...hubby has been on vacation this week and I am off work today...so we are bbqing hamburgers with raw veggies, potato salad, red onions and tomatoes....no snow here so bbqing is a year round thing.
(3)

4 5 6 7 8
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter