Follow
Read More
2 3 4 5 6
Tonight the kitchen is a total disaster (it is being painted) so we heated leftover cabbage soup in the microwave. It is a nice comfort food.

Yesterday my daughter and daughter-in-law met with 6 grandkids at a sushi restaurant. We had a blast.

Saturday is when I made the cabbage soup. It was awesome with sauerkraut rye bread from my favorite deli.

The kitchen won't be done tomorrow, so we'll be eating out!
(2)

i like black olives in homemade bread.
but tonight i had fried chicken livaars. lol. theyre so damn cheap the stores almost pay you to eat em.
my mother taught me two things about combatting inflation. " i ainta payin it, and let em keep it " . shes right. ya let em stick that crap in the dumpster a couple weeks in a row and the price will come down.
(1)

Looking for the original way to cook good southern collard greens. Had them at a potluck wedding in the north and loved how they tasted. It may not be the healthiest, but love southern cooking.
(3)

when my family was younger we were building a house so there wasnt a bunch of money lying around. my aunt edna and her husband red usedta bring us their freezer burnt leftoverture and we much appreciated it but uncle red always left the skinned heads on his frozen squirrels. many evenings the joke was were having squirrel heads for dinner and a damn many a night it wasnt a joke.
squirrel, ( heads and all lol ) will cook down into some pretty b***hing vittles. ( egg noodles, etc )
(0)

i like collared greens. aunt edna made em the best. shed fry em with a couple pieces of bacon for flavoring then hit em with white vinegar.
in my mothers last few months i was stirfrying all kinds of vegs together and she really liked em. potato, onion, and a bag or so of frozen broccoli / cauliflower / carrots. since cut up sausage links was the main flavor i have been known to cut up an apple in the mix..
wish she were here, id fry her up some chicken organs . lol
(1)

if you guys dont think chicken organs and squirrel heads are funny, maybe youd be more receptive to the time i bought a boar hog from a neighbor for 50 bucks. this dam hog was about the size of a short bus . we chewed on that old hog for probably a year . so ya wonder if boar taint is a reality. lol. the taint was the only part we didnt eat.
(3)

Tastes like chicken. ;)
(2)

cap -you mentioned throwing cut up apple into something . We always had apples and prunes with our turkey - Norwegian style. Even had them in the soup afterwards. Apple goes with the turkey necks too,

Tonight a nice hot chili is simmering on the stove for later, and a
hamburger soup. Will add greens to the soup tomorrow.

Has anyone made a chocolate cake with spices like cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, and cayenne in it? I grind up an orange, rind and all and add that in too.
Awesome!
G's birthday tomorrow - should make one for him. he loves it.

Tonight pork roast again. The flavours of the marinade are coming out nicely. I couldn't make a regular gravy because of the marinade, so I decided it had to be a sauce, and after thickening it I added a little juice from the cinnamon apples. Just the right touch!

I have to taste my way through when I am cooking. G says he can make a chili just right without tasting, I gotta taste everything and figure out what it needs.

Any more tasters out there?
(5)

I'm more of a measurer, emjo. After I've had a recipe for the first time I may write on it "try adding nutmeg" or "too much cumin" etc. I make adjustments for next time, but not typically as I go.

Speaking of measuring, my dear Coy made a mean vat of turkey soup, and somehow this evolved into a base for matzo ball soup that we had at our family holiday gatherings. He never measured. One year I went around behind him with a clipboard and wrote down everything he put in it, and estimated how much. Within a few years of that he developed dementia. He could still make his soup (with a lot of supervision) because I had that written record for him to follow. And I can still make it. Maybe this year I'll invite one of the (adult) grandkids to help me make it for our holiday party.
(2)

Tired tonight. Waffles.....from the freezer.
(4)

(((hugs))) Boni…

I got so tired of never having a good steak anymore (no more nice dinners out for me), so I researched how to buy meat at grocery and make at home.

I buy mostly strip or rib eye, about 1-1 1/2 inch thickness. Allow steak to come to room temp, season well with salt and pepper each side. Sear in tablespoon olive oil in hot skillet, about 1 min each side to get nice brown sear. Put into toaster oven at preheated 375, done in 5 mins for rare/medium rare.

Maybe I just haven't had a good steak in awhile, so my bar is set artificially low, but I'm LOVING the results I get from this easy preparation. :D
(24)

Our favorite steak here is porterhouse. I just use Old Bay Seasoning on it and cook it in a George Foreman Grill. Great, and easy. (Our outdoor grill is under 2 feet of snow at the moment ...)
(2)

Busy day today, so had chicken pot pies topped off by a big glass of milk for me.
(1)

Dinner? Missed that totally today. Finishing the day with a bloody mary.
(3)

Just put a HUGE chicken in the oven. Brother and nephew coming for dinner...YAY! Nephew is the same age as my grand daughter, so he helps fill the "Maggie shaped hole in my heart" I miss her so much!
(3)

Well, Brother had to cancel. Tonight chicken with cranberries, tomorrow chicken and gravy over rice, Friday Chicken salad, Saturday chicken soup.....you get the picture. ;)
(5)

havent contemplated dinner yet but my day was interesting. i went to town determined to put a couple leaf springs on my truck. pulled into the parts store and saw a good friend fixing to walk home with a belt for his wifes car. i took him home, helped him fix wifes car and in return he helped me install my leaf springs. its amazing how sometimes good intentions ( and a little hard work ) just seem to fall in place.
(33)

Tonight is Chinese...Almond chicken with prawns, pork chowmein and fried rice...my back is out so no cooking tonight.
(2)

Kitchen still in chaos. The ceiling looks WONDERFUL. Too bad we don't cook on the ceiling, eh? Cabbage soup heated in the microwave, gingerbread waffles heated in the toaster. Maybe we'll eat out tomorrow.
(3)

this thread reminds me of a cartoon i cut out of an easyrider mag 20 years ago. a big ugly biker with a case of beer under his arm was reaching for his front door knob and wondering what the " hor " had for supper. a cutaway of the wall showed the missus, buck naked, standing on a chair clear across the room holding onto a trapeze bar on a rope. i reckon the bored, unamused look on the guys face was what made it so dam funny. his run of crappy luck was about to change. lol
(2)

Captain, that reminds me of the cartoon where the wife is sitting on the TV naked, singing, kicking her legs in the air while the football game is on. Her husband who is in his barcalounger holding a can of beer just says "Helen! You are blocking the picture!"
(2)

Emjo, I cook like you do. A recipe to me is just a 'suggestion'. If it appears to have good technique, I'll follow the basics but add or subtract spices or other flavoring ingredients. It's a creative outlet like painting or gardening for me. Not all results are successful but it's the process that is fun and I learn for the next time.

Tonight I made basic grilled cheese sandwiches. On the side, I opened up a can of Campbell's tomato soup and added a cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of water and a tablespoon of spicy curry seasoning. Used McCormick's brand for all the chunks of dehydrated peppers and onions. Let it simmer for awhile and I really enjoyed it. I called it an Indian Tomato Bisque. My husband gave it a thumbs up too and he's a non-curry guy.

I'm still debating what to make on Valentine's Day. We've been together almost 29 years. (Yikes!) I'm thinking maybe a beef fondue with salad and baguette with good butter for sides. Simple sliced pears and cheese for dessert.

My mom's AL is having a dessert and movie event for the ladies. I can't believe the movie they're showing - "The Notebook". Gah! My mom doesn't participate in anything so no worries there. I just imagine a room full of weeping women. "When Harry Met Sally", maybe, but that's just kind of disturbing...Grown men cry over that movie.
(3)

I used yesterdays chicken to make 2 huge pots of soup. Regular chicken noodle and minestrone.The neighbor next door, with the Flu, was very happy, and Momma ate like a champ. Made her a couple of biscuits on the side. She loves anything you can spread butter on, just like me. :)
(4)

before the internet i read the joy of cooking from cover to cover. im to this day astounded that a section of the book stressed the importance of following recipes to the letter then every recipe in the book offered suggestions for variations and suggested seasoning to taste. you cant have it both ways so when i cook i look in the fridge to see what kind of moldy swill needs reconstituted into a new meal.
when you get to thinking your a good cook try cooking exactly enough to satisfy your family with no leftovers. this is a freaking art form in itself. you have to consider how hungry everyone is then you have to account for the meal being good enough that everyone wants seconds. quite challenging. then when i cook i do it with as few dirty dishes as possible. any idiot can dirty every dish in the kitchen but it takes skill to keep it down to one pan or skillet.
then when youve learned to make moonshine in your pressure canner drop me a line, we should chat. lol
(5)

But captain, the leftovers are sometimes the best part! In fact I aim for them for quick easy lunches the next day or freeze for future meals when I don't feel like cooking.

That does sound like a challenge though. I'll have to try it sometime. As for one pan, not for me. I just wash the big stuff as I go along and put the small stuff in the dishwasher. I'm kind of a neat freak with all my ingredients in place, chopped and prepped, before I start cooking and put spices, butter, flour and such away after I use them. Makes clean up a breeze.

I was treated to a pre-Valentine's Day dinner out tonight with my husband and son. ( I refuse to dine out on V Day and New Year's Eve - two worst nights of the year to be at a restaurant in my book.) Had BBQ grilled meatloaf, warm German potato salad and a grilled romaine Caesar salad. Very tasty and enough leftovers for two more meals. Probably shouldn't serve that for tomorrow's dinner. Heh.
(4)

I made pork chops, gravy, mashed potatoes, collard greens, corns and biscuits. The only thing to do is eat, there is 15 inches of snow outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(4)

Yes, not much else to do, besides cook, when you are snowed in. Well except laundry. lol Luckily I knew it was coming and stocked up. I just wished Mom had more of an appetite. I miss cooking for my boys. Even when they were grown, they would come by often for leftovers. My Foster son, the one that just passed, used to say......"Miss Boni, your leftovers are better than anyone else's FIRST overs! Miss that boy.
(14)

What's a grilled Caesar salad?

Kitchen is still a mess. Ate at an Ethiopian restaurant with my vegetarian DIL. Little hole-the-wall place with very slow service but very tasty food. Brought left-overs home, plus a meal for the painter (my son).

I like eating out, but I can't wait to get back into my kitchen!
(3)

my ex was ocd as a housecat. it took me years to realize that everytime id set my cooking utensil down she would wash and dry it. nearly started a world war when i asked her to leave my dam spoon alone.
my kitchen designs work for me, not the opposite. pantries are doorless and everything visible at a glance. everything from rice, conf suger, beans, spaghetti, all stored in 1 gallon glass jars. all pans and utensils hang from beams. i aint a stranger to the work triangle of a good kitchen is what im sayin.
now, i gotta find something even cheaper to eat than chicken hearts cause if i miss alice cooper for the third year in a row im going to split the earth in half. i can do it to, i live atop north americas most unstable faultline.
(3)

I made garlic chicken tonight. Very tasty, tender and juicy. Also made some homemade bread. YUM! :)
(4)

2 3 4 5 6
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter