Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
im making 15 bean soup. my renter / neighbor visits all the food banks and then gives me all the stuff they dont like. keeps my food bill down cause im not a picky eater.
(4)

im baking cinnamon rolls again tonight. you can make these s**ts from scratch for about 10 cents a piece.
(4)

Bonichak. Great thread. I was thinking along the lines of the same thing but sharing recipes that we consider our favs :)
Emjo instead of adding the corn starch, if you squeeze the potato and onion mix after grating them both. Let the water stand for about 10 minutes and very carefully and slowly pour out the water. At the bottom you will find the starch from the potato (natures own binder). You'll find it better than the corn.

My favorite, and moms also is eggplant Parmesan. But not the typical restaurant style. They are stacked in slices and between each slice you put what you like, for example;
Slice of eggplant, slivers of garlic and sauce, then another slice of eggplant,pepperoni a d sauce, then spinach sauce another slice of eggplant then top off with sauce and parm.
Throw in the oven covered for 45 @ 350. Turn off oven uncover let it rest for another 10. Serve yum! Again awesome thread.
Oh this evening... Nothing. Just drinks and snacks. Have a good evening all :)
(2)

Captain, those rolls would have gone well with our dinner tonight. Pan seared mahi mahi with basil lemon butter, honey roasted carrots, and roasted green beans with kalbi sauce.
(3)

i cheat, as an adult i can glaze them as heavily as i want. im too cheap to buy milk but they rock with black coffee.. the dang winter isnt letting up here. bout all a person can do is bake.
im still kickin around the stuffed bell peppers someone mentioned earlier. one of my favorite dishes right there.
(3)

Captain, you bake, I make soup when I'm in winter mode. Tonight I tried a recipe I never made before for roasted cauliflower and garlic soup. It turned out really well. The carmelized veggies took on a nice sweetness. No vampires will be visiting here tonight.

The New French Bakery does my (pre) baking here. Put a crusty baguette in the oven to serve with the soup and some sweet cream butter. Comfort food for a cold, cold night.
(2)

It's only 9 degrees here on the frozen Niagara River shore, so I am making a vat of Chili with beans. I use a pound of ground ELK which is sweeter and leaner than grocery store beef. Sautee onions and garlic, brown the meat, add a big can of diced tomatoes, a squeeze of Heinz ketchup and a bit of liquid smoke. Simmer 2 hrs, then add two 15oz cans of red kidney beans, and a cup of sweet corn. A side of homemade bread with butter.
(4)

I forgot to mention the Chili powder. McCormick's Dark, 2TBSP
(1)

I made chili also!
(2)

love chili - I use ground moose sometimes. I know glad - ewwwww! lol

last night roast pork tenderloin (marinated first), peas, noodles, cinnamon apple slices, and home made chutney.

windy - roasted cauliflower and garlic soup sounds great. I made a new one which ends up similar to split pea soup, but less carbs. Cauliflower and green beans, onion, garlic and celery seed, water or chicken stock, boiled then pureed, add some chunks of ham.

glad - we never had lefse - but I learned to make all kinds of cookies - brunesnipper, krumkake (the iron got passed around the neighbourhood), sandkake, kransekake, kokosmakroner, fattigmann, berlinerkranser, kringla, sprtiz and wonderful melt in your mouth short breads. We also always made 2 blotkakes on everyone's birthday - one to be served in the morning while the birthday child pretended to be asleep in bed till we woke them up with the cake, presents and singing Happy Birthday, and one for dessert at supper. I have a few old recipes of mother's - take a jug of good milk etc - not our measurements now. We also made our own marzipan. My job was skinning (you couldn't buy them skinned then) and grinding the almonds with one of those old hand grinders you fastened on the edge of the counter. Then I made marzipan candies, fruits etc. and decorated them. You roll them in coloured icing sugar to get the different colours. We did everything from scratch.

G is off again, so probably left over pork roast for me tonight, with spaghetti squash. I don't do well with grains, so stick with meat and veg mostly and a bit of fruit. Gotta keep in shape.
(1)

i eat the federally protected sea turtles. they taste like a cross between a bald eagle and a hooping crane.
(2)

cap - you are supposed to be outside cutting wood or bopping old dogs on the head. Believe me you would enjoy those cookies. Turtle soup, maybe?
(2)

Just discovered this thread. Many of you have mentioned some pretty tasty-sounding meals! Maybe you can help a meal I made and am not all that thrilled with. I cooked some pork loin in the crock pot with rice and some herbs. It just doesn't have pizzazz. I'm not a big pork eater anyway, but don't want to get rid of it. Any ideas for reviving this meal?
(0)

Ok everyone loved this: chopped up whole small seedless watermelon. Red pepper cut up small yellow pepper cut up small, half white onion cut up small , juice of three fresh limes, bunch of langostinos or small shrimp served cold. Everyone are it I think it wanted cilantro and jalapeño but I had none It was from the pioneer woman cooks
(1)

Word.....a can of mushroom soup?
(1)

word - what about a ginger citrus stir fry sauce or something similar with a little heat in it
(2)

Wordy2shoes, next time season and brown the pork loin in some oil before you put it in the crock pot. Throw some onions in with it to carmelize and get the outer fat on the loin nice and brown. NOW, it's ready for the crock pot. Think of 'layering' flavors in different stages.

Maybe add some celery and carrots and raw onion to your rice, or sub potatoes. Carmelized onions and raw onions together build a flavor profile. Add a little chicken broth, 1/2 cup or so and a splash of cooking Sherry, then the herbs you prefer.

If you like pulled pork sandwiches, no need to brown (though it does add flavor). Put the loin, though pork shoulder is preferable with a higher fat ratio, into the crockpot with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook low and slow for 7-8 hours. It will pull apart fork tender. Serve on buns with extra BBQ sauce. This meat can be stretched all weeks for tacos, quesadillas, etc. Good and economical.
(5)

Ok .. it really sucks when you just went grocery shopping, the freezers, cupboards and fridge are full ........ and nothing sounds good, except what y'all are having and I don't have it.

Latkes ...... yummmmmmm
(22)

Emjo, I truly loved the oven browning of the veg first. I can tell you love food like me. :) I appreciate that in you.
I'm getting kind of fluffy, not gaining weight, and that disturbs me.
This sub-zero for months on end is bad for even walking the dog. Gaah!

Ready to go low-carb again. Too bad I finally perfected pizza dough! :(
(3)

LadeeC, if it makes you feel any better, all I want right now is crispy hashbrowns, and I have to go to bed to see mom tomorrow. Oh well....Delayed gratification and all that. Bah!
(2)

Cookies
(1)

BoniChak, Mushroom soup is a staple around here but used it in last batch of chicken & dumplings. Ginger citrus sauce has my mouth watering emjo, so I'm going to try it. Now windytown, you sound like an expert cook! Layering flavors? Wow, I need to up my cooking game! Did make a yummy batch of choc chip, oatmeal, PB chip, scotch chip, and coconut cookies. Made them for a class last Tuesday but it got cancelled. Hope they make it to the next class.

Anyone else have cabin fever?
(3)

mbvargo - I am allergic to watermelon but your dish sounds yummy
windy I do love food and cooking relaxes me. Usually I cook several dishes at once I will do a ground beef mixture - onions garlic etc. and make stuffed peppers and also lazy cabbage rolls, and a soup - always have to have soup
around. I boil up bones for stock with a little vinegar in them to get the minerals out as I am allergic to dairy as well as gluten and watermelon. majes f
(1)

oops - makes for creative cooking

mbvargo - cookies??? Made me laugh - those days are long gone for me

wordy - the cookies sound great. Cabin fever???? You have no idea . Minus 11F - feels like minus 27. Just hooked up the (t)rusty old dog team (2002 Buick)and got me some groceries. Dang the wind was cold! Hibernating tomorrow

windy -you are getting fluffy??? have you had your thyroid checked? a splash of two of sherry improves many things. My father made what he called Zoop which was a soup made from whatever leftovers were in the frig and a hefty dose of sherry and it was always good
(1)

Tonight was African Groundnut Stew in the crockpot. Chicken, peanut butter, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and spices.
(3)

I have a quick and dirty substitute for cherry pie my grandson loves. Open a can of crescent rolls and put half in a square pan and pre bake about 10 minutes. Heat a can of cherry pie filling in the microwave until very hot and bubbly (that makes the top cook through) Put cherries on baked bottom, top with other half of crescents, (brush with milk and top with sprinkled sugar if you want to get fancy) and bake until top is done. Easier than making pie and pretty yummy.
(3)

lol,joan. whats for dinner largely is determined by the leftovers to be used up. for lunch i just had 1/4 lb of ground ( something ) , mixed with a big scoop of 15 bean soup, smashed, refried, and eaten on crackers. oh, a couple slices of alledged cheese melted in it.
(1)

Any ideas for when you caught a bad cold and thinking about food sounds so unappetizing.
(0)

yogurt, debra. it always seems to calm my guts.
(1)

If you're talking about a cold, and not an upset stomach, I'd go for anything spicy. Chinese hot and sour soup is what I like besides the standard chicken noodle soup. Get it to go or have it delivered if possible. No cooking when you least feel like it.

It really helps to loosen up a stuffed nose and chest congestion. Plus, it's something a person can actually taste as that sense usually suffers with a cold.

I DO tend to like spicy food so your mileage may vary. :)
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter