Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I guess this is a good week for pork. Tonight I stuffed pork tenderloin with dried fruit simmered in apple juice with several spices and served it with shallot sauce made with pan drippings, roasted broccoli with Parmesan cheese, hasselback potatoes, and cheddar garlic biscuits. Tropical sorbet for dessert.

We always eat well, but this was a more labor-intensive meal than I usually tackle.
(0)

Captain buy 2 pints of blueberries and a roll out pie crust. Mix a cup of sugar with the berries and 2 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp flour. Pour them into one crust and top with the other crust. Sprinkle cinnamon on the top crust. Poke a hole in the center to vent the crust. Bake at 350 for an hour. Enjoy. If you don't have a 9" pie plate, use a 9" frypan.
(0)

i broke down and bought some pork tonight . it was 2 bucks a pound but nice looking pork . found out something thats bugging me enough to write to my senator tonight tho . i looked at a blueberry pie at the sav a lot . it was 2 . 99 . not a bad price so i decided to see if there were blueberrys in it . no there wasnt . not berries , imitation berries , not berry bits and pieces , nothing . among all the list of chemicals was corn and soy beans . i looked at cherry pies , no cherries at all . ditto apple pies . all solidified soy beans . im not surprised but im pissed . these should be labeled soy bean pies . its no wonder poor people and impoverished urban people are overweight . their natural cravings are not being fulfilled , just fed more soy beans ..
(3)

Cold and rainy today. Boneless pork loin, pan roasted potatoes, sauerkraut broiled till crispy and sweet in pork drippings, and applesauce. YUM!
(3)

In the middle of an exhausting heat wave here so tonight it will be a fruit smoothie. Frozen bananas, frozen fresh raspberries and I will sneak over to the neighbors for some blackberries off her vine. Throw in some protein powder and a few ice cubes and it is delicious.
(3)

free range chicken is roasting in the oven. Stove top stuffing, green beans n potatoes, gravy and of course, jellied cranberry.

Tomorrow, chicken salad on fresh french bread.

DONE!
(2)

All of these ideas are making me very hungry and I don't know what we are having for dinner tonight. Maybe I will make lasagna, salad, and garlic bread! Sound good? Just have to go to the store first...
(1)

Baked pork chops with potatoes and broccoli. Hubby will think he's in Heaven
(1)

I had a caregiver support meeting tonight, and I took the easy way to dinner -- Costco's excellent stuffed peppers. The recipe must be very similar to my own, and I feel no compulsion to do it myself when theirs are just over $2.00 each. They use pretty, bright peppers, too. Mine tonight was orange. :)
(2)

$28.00 dollars for 2 small dunganess crab? Oh my.... I'd have to pass on that. When I find a good sale I usually by at least 4. They freeze quite nicely.

We decided to have Chinese takeout from Safeway tonight. Mom loves her Orange Chicken. Easypeasy and she eats it all.
(1)

Went fishing with hubby yesterday and he caught 3 not very big mackerel, which I like a lot, so we'll probably bread them w/panko and pan fry.
(2)

Ahhh, great idea! My eggplant is almost full grown. I'm going to steal your secret!
(0)

I made eggplant parmesan. I bread and bake the sliced eggplant on cookie sheets.saves time from frying patches of eggplant andnd uses less oil. Mom was happy and we have leftovers.
(2)

We had pork chops, rice pilaf, summer squash with onions, pickled beets, and Apple sauce.
(2)

fast dinner: got home from local fruit stand and made a fast stir fry: with Tamari sauce, sliced jumbo garlic, onions, summer squash, zucchini, one large mushroom,
one carrot, handful of just picked beans and fresh corn on the cob on the side.

I notice that every time I have to do something with my mother I reward myself afterwards with a healthy treat, or something that I might not do: like take a walk in nature, or something that connects me and heals me. Good food works every time!
(1)

jeanette,
a french roll sounds very much like a german brotchen roll to me , except i dont put egg in the recipe and use about 30% whole wheat . ive filled em with many different ingredients but when i went to visit g kids this summer my son made them with pizza filling . ive never tried that . i was lying down resting my ribavirin headache and didnt witness the results but cubehead said the kids tore them up . haveta believe him , there were none left .. both kids told cubical that they didnt know what subject to connect with me on . we found it in the kitchen .
theres no end to the possibilities with the filled rolls . yea , crab would be a heck of a filling too ..
(1)

Tonight was a comfort food hotdish, with chicken and broccoli and mushrooms and carrots, a chicken sauce, and a biscuit crust. Granddaughter had been to apple orchard yesterday and left us some apples. We had apple wedges with caramel sauce for a side.

I was at Costco today and checked out the crabs. They had two medium in a package for $28. Sigh.
(1)

My mother's name is Jean. :)
(2)

The quiche sounds very tasty jeanne, did I mention my mother's name is jean, thus the Jeanette? :) I saw an episode of "The Chew" last week where Clinton Kelly basically made a quiche inside a french roll. Looked so good I may try it tomorrow with the ingredients you used... I have those handy. My last batch of tomatoes...

Yes, I do have access to FRESH dungeness crab...fresh from Oregon Coast. I can buy a giant whole one for 7 bucks. I do like the more stringent taste they have vs the sweet.

Bob, try frying up some gizzards, make a brown gravy from the oil....use season salt if you have it, simmer till gizzards are tender, pour over rice.... stick to your ribs food.

BUMMER is right.... it's up to the 90's during the day but 40's in the mornings.... this is it... last week of warmth. I dread another winter here...
"
(2)

i snacked around last night and never fried my chicken livers so i just floured em and put em on to fry .
bummer -- had to light up the woodstove tonight for the first time . i could have done without this for another month ..
(1)

Ah, Jeanette, is that a benefit of living in a state that borders on an ocean?

Tonight's menu was fresh fruit parfait and bacon-spinach-tomato quiche, with Swiss and cheddar cheese. It was an especially tasty combination. Each time I make a quiche I wonder why I don't do it once a week. It is easy, moderate cost, and fairly nutritious. We all love it. Why not do it more often? I guess just because there are also a huge number of other things we like.

Granddaughter stopped over and had dinner with us. She loved the quiche. I gave her the recipe. I wonder if she'll ever make it. She was visiting her brother afterwards and I sent the leftover pie to him for breakfast.

Captain, ever consider combining your gizzards or liver or bacon scraps into a quiche? Cook one time and eat for three days, with better variety than plate after plate of gizzards. :)
(1)

Well, there was an awesome sale on fresh/whole dungeness crab.... CRACK!!
(2)

good question jeanne . in my family being rigid trumps being " right " every time ..
(2)

My siblings love Korean food. For me, it's an acquired taste..which is basically the Kalbi ribs. Period. And I only acquired this taste because when siblings are treating, I'm not about to turn down free food. Today, for lunch, was.... Korean food. Sis decided to be adventurous and added a side order of spicy beef soup (don't know the actual name). Sis didn't like it - seafood flavoring with the meat beef. She said it didn't go together. As for me, I love soup if I can add white rice into it. She put gave me a small bowl of soup and I added the rice. Yum!!! Weird though because as I ate it hungrily (even though I was full from the Kalbi, the soup's flavor was yummy.), I kept looking for the octopus. Because the seafood flavor - to me - tasted as if it had octopus in it. Sis kept telling me that I didn't have to force myself to eat the soup. She wasn't going to pack up the leftover soup but I said that I wanted it. That was what I had for dinner - the left over soup with rice. Yum!!!
(1)

Chorizo skillet for dinner. Wonderful. I almost opted for carry-in. My brother can over and helped me clean my family room. We moved every heavy piece of furniture. There are a lot of homeless dust mites in the Midwest tonight. I am not used to doing physical work for three hours straight, but I'm glad I held up through dinner. Homemade is almost always better than purchased. :)

Captain, does it bother you at all that you are taking advice from a deceased woman you considered nuts? Just wondering. :)
(3)

jeanette,
those chops sound much better than my chicken livers . damm near bought pork this week . 1.50 a lb . then moms voice sed " i aintta payin it , let em keep it " .. of course mom was nuttier'n squirrel s*it . the damm livers were 1 . 89 a lb ..
(1)

Yay! It came out great. So tasty & filing. You can get almond meal (ground up almonds) at trader joe's, or make your own. Thanks everyone for great supper ideas.

Health: just came back from my doctor who is a Naturopath. He "muscle tested" my supplements and I bought some new ones for my endocrine system, a new multi vitamin and another one to dissolve certain fats in the body. He is a very knowledgeable doctor when it comes to Functional wellness. I am hoping to lose weight, have better digestion, and put my endocrine system back in balance.
Been plagued with headaches, parasites and other things since I moved to this apartment four years ago. Yes, it's on my list to move out of here maybe next Spring.
(1)

Having leftovers from last night's pork chops. Gonna let them simmer in my homemade pork gravy for awhile till they are fork tender.

It's gonna be in the 90's until late next week. Cold foods from now on!
(1)

Trying to lose weight and go gluten free: how many ways can I substitute vegetables for grains?
(0)

I am making eggplant parmesean but instead of frying and using bread crumbs I am making it with almond meal. Eggplant dipped in eggwash, then almond meal, sprayed the glass baking pan with coconut oil, layered them in, baked them. Then made a tomato sauce; mixed an Indian Simmer Sauce with an Italian sauce, sliced layers of sliced garlic, onions, fresh tomato, fresh basil, goat cheese, jack cheese, and topped with the last of the almond meal. Wow, this place smells good! Can't wait to try my invention.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter