Follow

Sorry to say, but this site has been so depressing for a few days. I thought I'd ask an average, everyday question....to make us all feel a little more normal today.

I made Eggplant Lasagna, and my BIL and SIL are coming for dinner. They leave for Cali tomorrow to see their beautiful grand daughter.

Sorry, sometimes we just need some REGULAR conversation.......or at least THIS caregiver does.

1 2 3 4 5
I made broccoli cheddar soup. I find soup making to be very relaxing.

I wish that I had a passion for baking. Homemade bread with soup is yummy. I tend to eat soup with a couple of whole grain crackers.
(2)

cw,

Dates sound fabulous in a muffin. You made me giggle about when you were a kid. I was a kid who picked the raisins out of my cinnamon rolls.

Anxiety,

Some vegan recipes are very good.
(0)

One of my sons is vegan, once for his bday, I bought a vegan cake for him at a vegan bakery, had to carry the cake maybe 3 blocks . It was the heaviest darn cake I ever carried.

No clue what it was made of but it was really good.
(2)

I had to think on the vegan desserts for a while but there are tons of everyday things that are or can be vegan. Pies using shortening in the crust, and crisps and crumbles too. Cakes, biscuits, breads and muffins can all be vegan. Lots of cookies too - peanut butter balls (buckeyes) are vegan.
(1)

My mom always stuck a whole date or two in her bran muffins so that's what I did too, my grandmother put raisins in hers but she used a different recipe. But I was a picky child so I picked out the dates and the raisins lol
(1)

I have had some vegan desserts, that were delicious. I have no clue how they do it.

I've tried to cut out some of the fat. But I tell ya, everything is better with BUTTER! 😜
(1)

cwille,

I like bran muffins. Did you put raisins in them?

I once heard from a dietitian that in most recipes we can cut the fat and sugar in half and it will still turn out well.

Many muffin recipes use an enormous amount of sugar, as much as a dessert.

There are some recipes that use honey, molasses or pure maple syrup. They have a bit more nutritional benefits. It is still a form of sugar though.

I haven’t tried replacing fat with applesauce yet. Some recipes call for applesauce to reduce fat intake.

Same with yogurt in recipes instead of sour cream or mayonnaise. Oh, and don’t get me started on eggs. Some say they are good for us and others disagree.

Cooking is chemistry, finding that right balance of ingredients. We want food to be nutritious but still have a good flavor.

I know that we save money by cooking our own food. I enjoy cooking.

People who watch what they spend will cook at home instead of eating out often.

I rarely get dessert in a restaurant. Most cost around $10. Pastries in a coffee shop run up the bill too.
(1)

I made some bran muffins from a vintage Quaker back of the box recipe because I was feeling nostalgic about the muffins my mom used to make and I remembered that was her recipe. It really drives home how much our diets and expectations have changed, the recipe stated it made 12 but I made 8 not overly large muffins from it and they are just so different from the fluffy, overly sweet, cake like muffins we have today. But I like them, although I should have used more dates per muffin.
(3)

Send: I hope that you can get some sleep. Insomnia is not fun. Prayers for your pain to abate, too.
(1)

Really interesting sendhelps, love information like that.
(1)

Send,

I don’t drink the amount of water that I should. I need to do better.

I hate when the city tells us to boil the water due to contamination. I drink bottled water. It’s a concern though because we cook with water too.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.
(0)

Thank you! I need hugs and prayers NHWM.

pH about 7 - 7.6 , balanced to me means about neutral to slightly alkaline.

A very high pH, (over 8.8) Alkaline can mess with kidney or liver.
We all need to research this on our own.
I researched our tap water, and there are 21 chemical contaminates in our city water. Interesting-it is a legal amount-but how is that even safe drinking water?

Ana,
I am more interested in the consumption of water into my body.
I am totally unaware of reducing contaminates to benefit a septic system.
That is a real surprise to me. But thanks for the advice of adding baking soda.
(1)

Send, alkaline or acidic? (spring water can be either) A pinch of baking soda will raise the pH. The prevalence of micro plastics is disturbing! I’m investigating methods of capture re: laundry to reduce them in my septic system.

Feel better soon!
(2)

Send,

I hope you feel better soon. Sending prayers and hugs your way.
(2)

My bottled water I was using was pH balanced spring water.
There was a warning it might have micro-plastic contamination.
So, I ran out.

I forgot that the pH balance was helping me with the body aches and pain, and the brain fog. So I will choose another brand.

I just wanted to share with others who may suffer with fibromyalgia or an achy body and joints and muscles and nerves and tendons etc. that a pH water can help a bit with the pain.

How did I remember? This full moon I am hurting so much more.
Awake all night, it helps to review what it was I ate and drank.

This can get better, I am thinking.
(2)

Pizza. Home made but with the help of Whole Foods dough. Lots of olives and lots of capers and lots of mushrooms with a good spicy sauce. YUM!
(4)

Just finished cooking roast chicken, with roasted veggies and mashed potatoes! Waiting for my daughters and husband to get back home from the store with the wine! Yummy 😋!
(5)

Sp, I had an Irish Landlady once. Rent day she would make us 'poor immigrants' dinner. (That's what she called us backpackers). Boiled silverside beef, boiled brussel sprouts & cabbage. Such a sweet lady, yet no tastebuds. Yuurrkkk

I today, feeling a bit poorly, I feel only like soup. Yet I also feel like breakfast... so I just invented Museli Soup: oats & dried fruit musel in a bowl of hot water.
(3)

sp,

Well, at least you had pretty green cupcakes! 😀

I wouldn’t have eaten the rest of the dinner either if it was gross 🤮.

My mom never forced us to eat anything that we didn’t like. The nuns at my school did.

I took the punishment instead of eating anything I didn’t like. I sat on the lunch bench instead of playing with my friends at recess.
(1)

Need of course they had green frosting 😄 that dinner was the stuff of childhood nightmares.
(2)

sp,

Hahaha,😝 Did the cupcakes have green icing?

There are good ways to cook cabbage. I agree that the boiled dinner is bland and boring!
(2)

Growing up I hated St. Patrick's Day dinner because my mom would take corned beef, cabbage and potatoes and put it in a big pot and boil it. That was dinner and it was disgusting. The only saving grace were the cupcakes for dessert.
(5)

Homemade meat ravioli and sauce from the freezer.
(2)

cw,

If we don’t freeze food, then there are lots of leftovers. Sometimes, I look for recipes that I can make smaller amounts.

Your leftover ideas sound good. I like chili over pasta with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. I also like chili and cheese in a baked potato. Chili is good in an omelette too. Let’s not forget about eating it on a hot dog!
(2)

Leftover chili over rice. Tomorrow it may be chili and grilled cheese, I've got a lot of chili....
(1)

Patty melt was good until I had served it for 3 days.

Dh did not step up to cooperate with a Costco trip, so we were out of so much.
Trying to save on grocery-Costco charges about $3.00 extra per item now.
Aussie Bites are good, but in-store is $13.99, Instacart is $16.99, if I got that correct, because everything is so changeable right now.

Very disappointed in Instacart. Bamta and Mamtu wrote sorry for my experience, and how they can 'relate' to how it feels to not receive the right items. Really? Ai can 'relate?

Do I need to write back, or even thank ai? Wouldn't want to hurt it's feelings.
🤬
(3)

Chicken , veggie, rice , stir fry .
I love corned beef . DH not so much .

Need. I do use the crockpot liners for a party for certain recipes that tend to stick to the pot if you have it simmering to keep warm for a while after it’s done cooking . Saves cleanup time especially on a holiday, or football party.
(4)

Edit: *Once*
(0)

Will eat a piece of Chantilly cake 🎂 for y’all.

We are celebrating my youngest daughter’s birthday today. It’s a little late because she was out of town for her actual birthday.

Whole Foods has a wonderful Chantilly cake! I like that they make mini cakes. It’s just big enough for the four of us.

I am not cooking because my daughter wants Chinese food from one of her favorite restaurants.
(5)

Macormics makes a good, au jis powered. If you mix that with water pour it in top of a really cheap peace of beef, and 2 table spoons of butter top. It's really good meat after that. Lol
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter