Follow
Read More
The last time we were without power for an extended period of time (5 days) at least I was finally saved by a neighbor who brought me a coleman stove to make our coffee on the deck...I had a percolator so viola! funny, but coffee is the main thing I miss when the power goes out. It's sad that Mama can't really enjoy the snow and rain anymore..but at least Hospice keeps us well stocked with supplies so I never have to worry about running out of the things she needs..and if she's OK, I'm OK.
(0)

Freq...we have lots of very tall and very large trees at our home. Our neighbors do as well. I used to never think of it, but now know how those howling winds can bring trees down..especially the kind we have been having, and I think are expected to have over the next few days...it can make for some restless nights....I think they are predicting less snow than at first advised..which probably means we will get a blizzard.. :p
(0)

This crazy weather... knock on wood our winter has been pretty mind in comparison to the northeast. But last night we had howling wind.. decided to sleep on the main level on the sofa where it was quieter. Got maybe 3 hours of sleep :P
(0)

Oh Katie...I am sooo sorry to hear this...heartbreaking...my prayers and heart go out to you, your friend and all the family and those affected by this tragedy..And you are right...things that seem important really aren't when these kind of things happen and jolt you back into reality of how fragile..and precious, life is...I'm so sorry friend.
(1)

I guess this is my whine for the day...got news yesterday that a friend died in a weather related car accident out of town. It is strange how the whole day felt kind of "off" before I got this news. A sad reminder of how we should try to enjoy the small stuff, even if we are going through a rough time in our lives caregiving.
(0)

Angus cows are none too friendly so I doubt they trample your awesome stonework.

We have a GIANT wild cherry tree that buts up against our fence... this thing is huge and it houses a kathousand little birds, which are worse than roosters in the mornings... plus one of the little buggers has had a nest against my bedroom window for two years... chirp chirp chirp, feed me, feed me... gads I love springtime!

Well... mom got tired of my youtube songs so I think she will be asleep shortly. Had her working (cautiously) outside today, just too nice for her to be inside. She can fold towels outdoors.

Wow... cooking IS something we do for other people. Blast.

I'd love to see what this stone work looks like or something to go by?
(2)

somewhere along the way ive gotten tired of tomato based meals . tired of green beans too . i dont have a lawn , only a small orchard and you only have to mow it once a year with a walk behind bushog . for the first time in my life im only cooking for myself and that changes everything . cooking is something you do for other people . for the purpose of sustainance i could figuratively eat out of the flour bag and wouldnt care .
dee ,
i beat the birds to 11 quarts of cherries last year and used them up in no time on single serving pastries .
i was just reading the other day about how your tastes in everything change as you get older . thats about where im at . 56 yrs old and the things i used to enjoy are in the past . never in my life envisioned myself anywhere near agriculture but i haveta admit im rather fascinated with this startup angus ranch ive been working on and around for the last year . as long as they keep those filthy cows away from my pretty stonework we'll all get along .
(0)

I agree Jeanette...I enjoy mowing..and love the smell of fresh cut grass....
(0)

I can't wait to get gardening and mowing. Love the smell of fresh mown grass and garden dirt. Looking forward to fresh tomatoes, berries and beating the birds to the cherries. Nothing like homemade cherry jam - yum!!!
(2)

Good LORD. I have been trying to post the above post for hours!!! If I use brackets instead of () it's a not go. WHY? so silly
(0)

Oh shit......LOL!!!!! Susan, you send me into fits of laughter!! I think maybe you need a noise cancelling microphone? LOL!!! Oh (snort) my tummy hurts from laughing.... uh oh, just thought of Veronica shoveling a foot of snow... (somber face) sorry ;) ... mmm, the smell of freshly mowed grass.

Susan, how about one of those separating decorative screen thingies? Do you have a Bi-Mart there? I saw some lovely ones today, maybe that would help with privacy until you can do something different... (snort) I am SO SURE Flatulence of the Elderly would NOT be #9.

Cap, I don't mind mowing grass, to me it's cathartic. Head phones on and away I go. It makes me feel alive to be outside and moving. Inside I feel like a slug, a worn out slug. Bleh. Plant some tomatoes ... they can really well and you can make a lovely stew with the venison or beef that you canned. I do like canning... cathartic also.
(1)

dee and Captain...I hope yall don't mind but I shared your jokes on my FB page....they are a hit! Thanks!
(0)

I did, too. If it happened to me, I would be thinking, "I hope they don't think that *I* did that!"
(3)

Ok, since dee said it, I will too...I laughed out loud Susan..I couldn't help it...
(1)

Oh Susan...I'm sorry but I laughed out loud at your "background noise". What you did for your mom was so sweet. Oh, Hope...you are such a sweet soul. Sending you mega hugs!!!
(3)

Oh Susan....I can imagine....you know the oddest thing..Mama never does that anymore....it used to be a never ending melody...but now, never anything....doesn't talk, doesn't move...doesn't toot.....see...I even miss that.....I am officially going over the edge....somebody pull me back...
(1)

dee....what a cute...and hilarious joke...I think I will have to share that one..

Captain...what a hoot...that was awesome too! think I need to share it too!

I needed those two laughs!!!

I made my errands and did not tear my car up...the engine light never came on until right near the end and then it was only for a short time and intermittent..not all the time..maybe it will get me on the short runs til I can get it to the guy to replace the motor...

I decided I was going to go ahead with my Valentine's plans as I normally do...I got Mama one of those little miniature roses that had a lot of tiny blooms on it...a box of Valentine candy (I will put it in the blender with her Ensure) and yes, I'll probably sneak myself a piece of it too....also had her card and I had ordered her two new gowns and they came today..they were not the ones I ordered but they were both pretty pink floral so since it's Valentine's I just gave them to her and will reorder the other ones for her over the phone so they don't mess it up again.. Oh! and I got her a balloon...

Sadly, she did not flinch and did not seem to notice any of it..no talking, no smiles..nothing. I know she can't help it...none of it is her fault...it doesn't make it hurt any less...

To finalize my whining...this is the first Valentine's Day I ever remember that I didn't get one card....I guess ..ah well....just another day I know....life sure does change...
(0)

It's been a balmy 10 degrees or less all day today - mostly less. Hovering around 5 degrees all day with windchills of 10-25 below zero. Now it's -1 degree and windchill of -13. Yuck. Even the dog won't stay out more than 2 minutes - long enough to do his business and right back in. He's not even participating in his favorite pastime - barking at the neighbors.

My whine for the night: I NEED AN OFFICE WITH A DOOR THAT CLOSES!! There is nowhere in this house that I can work without being in earshot of Mom and her noises. Tonight, I was on an unexpected conference call for about an hour, so I had the tv on, but turned down so she can at least watch it while I'm talking. I've told her before that my headphone set is *very* sensitive, and picks up even the sound of me turning a piece of paper over, so it's important for noise to be kept to a minimum when I'm on the phone. I know she forgets, but for gosh sakes...I'm half way through my call and she lets loose with an incredibly loud and long fart - which I *know* the folks on the other end could hear.

Yes, I know she couldn't help it. No, I don't expect her to hold in her gas just to please me. But the timing could not have been worse. Bet you'll never see that listed on the "Top 10 Drawbacks of Working From Home" list. #9: The Random Flatulence of the Elderly. Ha!

Next purchase: noise cancelling headphones, in the hope that they cancel out *her* noises. (sigh) You can bet I never thought I'd have to do THAT when I moved in here. I sleep in the bedroom that was converted to a laundry room, so there's no room for a desk in there (there's barely room for my dresser, bed and nightstand - and there's no closet). Dad's old bedroom (the only other bedroom) is a storage room at the moment, but will eventually be part of the living room when we knock one of the walls out to join the two rooms - *maybe* at that point, I can gain some space for my desk that isn't 8' away from Mom all the time. But that's at least another year away.
(2)

i aint cuttin no grass or shoveling snow . the forest doesnt come in here messing with me and i aint about to go out there trying to manipulate it .
looking forward to spring this year . i think i have enough energy to fire up a couple of little gardens . im thinking beets and onions and just canning them up mixed together .
(0)

Be quiet Jeanette I shovelled a foot of snow off my front path this afternoon.
(3)

uhm, haha? LOLOLOL

I'd rather have the talking toad!

Feels like summer here (almost)... 60 plus degrees and sunny out... had to mow the grass it felt so nice! and... I used the regular mower vs the riding one. Better exercise!
(0)

heres a little more lengthy joke but worth it i think .
a guy responds to a newspaper ad for a dog being offered free to a good home . when he arrives at the dogs house the owner tells him the dog is in a bedroom , go see if you like him . the man walks into the bedroom and the dog says " hey man , how ya doing ? " of course the guy is shocked that a dog can talk but it doesnt end there . the dog says hes rather educated , spent much of his career interdicting drugs on the east coast , then found his real expertise was rescueing people . he said he pulled many live people from the WTC on 9 - 11 . then his career took him to afghanistan where he spent two years dragging wounded soldiers out of live fire situations . but , the dog says , im retired now and nobody gives a shit about me , in fact i think my current owner is trying to get rid of me .
the potential new pet owner went back to the living room and said hed love to have that dog , hes a national hero , and why in the world would the current owner ever give him up . the current owner said " man you just get sick of all that fn LYING " ..
(1)

SusanA43, what a sweet story. Such a nice thing to do.
Dee1963, also enjoyed your story. It is always nice to hear our Mother tell us they love us. You both sound like real sweethearts! Happy Valentines Day to all!
(2)

A middle-aged lady is going for a walk on Valentine's Day and comes across a talking toad. The toad says to her "kiss me and I'll turn into a prince." The lady picks up the toad, puts it in her pocket, and continues walking. After a few minutes the toad asks her "well, aren't you going to kiss me?" The lady responds "no, at my age I'd rather have a talking toad."

Yep.
(5)

yup, it was thunderstruck .
a three minute waste of my life and i want it back .
i like ac dc . think ill go have a listen to ' touch too much '
(1)

Thunderstruck? They really do a bad ass job with their interpretation of rock using their cello's!
(1)

i think i saw a video of those clowns doing a fast paced ac-dc tune , just dont remember what song it was .
i like to listen to a german group called ' rage ' , live at wacken . the germans do take their metal seriously .
i should go to chicago for a couple of days - too cold to work anyway but the problem is id be sick of driving before i got to the end of my driveway .
(1)

Susan, YES!... find someone to come in and give you a hand with things. There are a lot of nice young men that need to make a few extra bucks. Chris is a good kid. Well, not so much a kid since he's 25 but still.... he does whatever it is that needs done, from outside to even vacuuming/dusting/dog walking/weeding. Has a cheery attitude and thinks he can beat me at Wii Tennis and Bowling. Uh, I think not. I've had loads of time to practice.

Anyone ever listened to the band 2 Cellos? OMG but they are awesome!!
(1)

They are predicting snow here...yes snow in the south...tomorrow and again on Tuesday..even talking like we may get a couple of inches...wow....so got to get what we need..just in case.
(0)

I understand exactly Captain...and you are so right...their offers of help are indeed, only thinly veiled criticism...this morning, one of those witnessing groups, one of whom is a high school friend that I have told repeatedly I am not interested in studying their ways these days...I am a believer but I do not wish to study their information at present...here she came anyway. I think she saw me get up and lock the door and go to the other end of the house...and I don't care...I'm not in the mood....I'm about to be forced to get out and run a short errand. I just hope my car makes it....
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter