Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Captain, canning food is such a lost art today... when ever I read about the items you have makes me wish to go grocery shopping in your root cellar than in a regular grocery store :)
(1)

Jeanette, that shouldn't surprise you about your son. My own hasn't spoken to me since last November (and then it was a one-line conversation, basically), and now has a baby on the way in August. He could be married, but I'd never know. He occasionally surfaces to talk to his sister and then disappears again. I think our sons were cut from the same cloth. I'm glad yours still talks to you, at least - but he could have at least told you he was married. (sigh) Darn kids.

I'm taking a day away tomorrow to visit my grandkids. Sis is coming to stay with Mom. So today is a flurry of activity to clean house and get things ready. Going to *try* to slip away for a couple of hours tonight to get groceries - may have to call in a neighbor or something to sit with mom so I can do that.
(0)

Jeanette, I agree with Veronica that the DIL snake will probably slither away before you know it! Selfish people like this DIL are seldom ever happy for long.

Despite the equipment tizzy, I know I am going to be very glad for hospice. They work so quickly and efficiently...if everyone worked so well the World would be a better place!
(1)

pulled up a trick from several months back and just crammed myself an apple crisp in the oven . dont need a root cellar now . my bedroom is " neverland " big so im shelving one wall of it up for my canned foods . heather is growing a rather large garden and ive got the fruit coming .were going to trade foodstuffs and can enough this year to feed us for a year .my 2014 stash held up . i still have 18 qts apples , 16 qts tomatos , 13 qts potatos , 25 qts of beef / venison . my buddies cherry tree is heavy and i have three large pear trees stalked out and all the apples i would ever want . eyes wide open for a bushel of beets ..
gonna pickle some end of garden in hot / sweet jalapeno brine . sweet / banana peppers , cauliflour, onion , maybe baby cukes .
(3)

jeanette,
i wonder how youd feel staying at a friends house for a few nights . everything in your home is keeping you emotionally destabilized ( imo ) . years of caregiving reminders are hitting your senses with every blink of your eyes . i stayed at my moms empty house for one night and it was sad and creepy . my son snapped me out of it . he said " theyre hooking up your internet , power and water at your house today , you dont have to stay here " . " lets blow " . blow we did ..
our will permitted me to live in moms house till i died . i didnt want to live there , wanted to go home ..
(1)

Don't worry Jeanette your new DIL will be an ex before you can turn around
(1)

Jeanette - Oh wow is right. Some people have all the sensitivity of a (????). I can't even imagine how you feel right now. {{{hugs}}}
(0)

Well hell..... my sister in law just called me, she wanted to prepare me for the "News". Seems like my son crawled away with that snake and married her on the same day my mother passed away. Wow. Isn't that special.

I spoke to him yesterday and he never said a thing.
(0)

Jeanette, I sooo wanted Mom to stay with my Aunt for a few days after the service, for dad, I needed to just "hunker down" and veg... but she would not, Until it was too late... then back home we all went, and I have been a bit cranky .
FF I have been wondering how you are doing.. now I know!
On top of all my current issues, we are prepareing for an overseas trip that Mom and Aunt wanted to do.. 7 of us. And Mom is soo wobbly.. I am terrified that she will end up in the hospital in Ireland.. and what a mess that will be!
(0)

My whine is getting my sig other to help me around the house as I am still on the mend with a broken shoulder [another 6 weeks to go] and I am right handed and can't use that hand.... why on earth do I need to tell him the same thing each day [like the cats' water dishes are empty].

I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone.
(1)

Katie, try to be patient with Hospice when they first start, trust me, it will be quite overwhelming in the beginning but so worth it. Hospice is very dot your I's, cross your T's since they have to detail everything back to Medicare.

I agree with CM, even though it's been a few short days, I feel safer at home. I'm so used to being here or rushing to get back here, so for right now, here is where I am for the time being.

Jessie, I have an idea for you ;) have everything totally prepared for the time your mom falls asleep on the couch. Bolt into her room, whisk everything quickly into a container, stash it and go about your business like nothing happened. Feign innocence for as long as possible!! LOL Swear those "Gremlins" came into her room while you were in the bathroom. See? Problem solved. hehehe....

Dee, wow, sorry about your CG ! It's lovely when you find a great one that you both like. I depended on mine a lot and even now, she's still helping me. I think I could honestly say she is my best friend.

Susan, wish I could help you out with the skin thing... I'm thinking it's going to be one of those things that will need constant battling. sigh. How is your mom adjusting to being home again? I hope you've got a good supply of "helmets"... challenging times are ahead!

Wow! I don't think anyone would or could ever imagine Texas being under water like it is!?!? aye yi yi... is there no safe place to live anymore?
(1)

Grrrr
(0)

ive been trying to calm down and be nice too susan but my helper and i have been thru this cell phone BS for two years off and on . bout the second time that fkr blinged in 15 minutes today i told her to go home and take care of her phone business , come back to work tomorrow . shes being paid 12 bucks an hour and thats hellish good wages for a minimal skills ' helper " job .
then my other friend betsy emailed me cause her toilet is plugged up . 1 - 1/2 yrs ago i pulled that toilet , took it out in the yard and removed a deodorant container from it . i told her to lose the plastic shelves full of junk above the toilet and she refused to do so . i decided right then id never touch the toilet again .
yea im a control freak but im simply not going to help people who wont follow sound advice . betsy says her kid plugged up the toilet with dog crap and paper towels . you know i dont have a dog , im not going to be a slave to hers .
in trying to be a nicer person im keeping in my mind the fact that nice people get screwed over if they dont take an occasional stand ..
i aint fixin the crapper and im approaching 30 feet in the air on scaffold with my helper -- i will not stand for for any preoccupation or distraction by her phone gaming / networking childishness ..
(2)

Appreciate the tips on dry skin, but as I said, we've tried it all - and when I say "all", I do mean ALL. Coconut oil. Lotion. Tea tree oil soaks. Vinegar and listerine soaks (not straight, but diluted with water, its supposed to kill fungus and soften toughened skin). Scrubbing with hot soapy water and a gentle brush. Know what the nurses think it is? A buildup of dead skin and dirt from decades of Mom not washing her feet/ankles. Gross. Trust me, they get washed now..all. the. time.

Today's reminder to myself: WAIT before speaking and/or blowing up at someone. It always pays to do so. I had a client being a little snotty with me today - he was having a bad day, apparently, and made some snide comments that I *really* took the wrong way at first. Waited an hour or so before responding to him, and I was able to do so with graciousness and not bite his head off (and quite possibly losing him as a client in the process), like I wanted to at first.
(0)

Mine is a simple whine. Last week I totally cleaned Mom's room. I straightened things and put them in place. Today it looks like a tornado hit. It is even worse than before. She drug things out and threw them in the middle of the floor. Why oh why do I even try? And how does she keep from falling and breaking her neck in the chaos created? I can't even walk in there, even though I have two good legs and good vision.
(1)

Katie hospices usually have a contract with a particular equipment company so that is the only one they can use. Sorry it is inconvenient and you are grounded but their hands are tied.
(0)

Katie, I can't get used to being able to leave the house. It's like I'm on high-tension elastic, as soon as I go anywhere I start feeling jumpy to go home again. In case. In case of what I couldn't tell you, but for the time being anyway I am just giving up and going home again. I expect it'll pass...
(1)

Katie - Don't know how much of this is true but...the medical bed hospice uses maybe a little wider and fully electric which makes it easier on them to take care of the person.
(0)

My whine today...I can't believe the hospice people made me have the one medical supply take out the hospital bed and equipment so they could use the company that they use and will deliver all different stuff.Something about Medicare paying...What a fiasco and waste of last days where I could get out of this house. I am sitting around here waiting for the new equipment...and in all this whole process took up 2 entire afternoons so far.I really would also like to check on Mom in the nh... When Mom comes back I will hardly be able to leave so I could have really used these precious last few hours, if even to take a drive.
I wonder if anyone else feels like bolting from their home after their parent were to pass on after being tethered to home, or if this is just a temporary feeling?
(1)

Thanks, Pam and Katie. I hope the caregiver heals as well. She's a real nice lady and I hope we can find a suitable replacement. Reliving the nightmarish years that the previous caregivers put me through is NOT an option.
(1)

I never even thought of looking for them there I went to a health food shop CM albeit in North Wales when I was on holiday and had forgotten to take oil with me and I have just continued buying it there - obviously a foolish move as I have now seen I can get in amazon for loads loads cheaper thanks CM - note to self take note of others on here they know so much more than what I does (ps I know thats bad grammar)
(1)

Jude, do you live in a diverse area? Because Indian and South Asian groceries are massively cheaper for things like this, or you might find it more economically priced in the "world foods" section of a decent-sized supermarket.
(1)

Judda I am moving to the states its about 20$ over here in UK. I do use it a lot for cooking but not for my feet it just doesnt work as well for me - I stuff so much junk into my body I figure 1 more dollop wont matter in the grand scheme of things!!! Grins I know I know - it should matter but I just cant get my head round even more whats good and whats bad for me and as Mum is 92 and has been using vaseline every day of her life I figure it's ok (the reality is probably different but I'll live with that for now) Note to self pay more attention when people are trying to help (Gremlin is sat on my shoulder saying no no no just carry on) Im afraid gremlin is winning right now
(0)

Try coconut oil for dry skin, cracked feet, etc. I used to have very rough dry feet but now I don't. Every time I shower I rub coconut oil all over my body. It absorbs in minutes, is a good nutrient (after all your skin absorbs and eats this). Petroleum oil is very bad for you. You are feeding the body more garbage to deal with. What's the point? You can find coconut oil in grocery stores where the cooking oils are. The jar costs about $7 and lasts a long time. I take out about a quarter of a cup and keep it in the bathroom in a separate container.

There are so many uses of coconut oil. It's great to cook with too because it can stand high heat without becoming rancid and causing cancerous substances.

Jeanette: sorry about your CG. Hope she heals well and fast.
(0)

Jeanette I am so glad that your favorite caregiver was with you as your mom passed on. My thoughts are with you during your sorrow but I know that you are comforted in knowing you took wonderful care for her. In time you will have a whole new future to explore. Thinking o you.
(0)

Jeanette you were so wonderful with your mother. Take some time and reflect on your time spent with your mother. She is finally at peace and your healing can begin.
(0)

Jeanette what a wonderful death. I hope she flew round the new pool while her wings were spreading. She will always be with you. Peace be with you.
(4)

Dee, I am sorry to hear about your caregiver's accident. I do hope she feels better and recovers soon...send my hug to her!
(1)

Dee.. I am sorry for your CG...71?? she is a better woman than I. Hope you get this figured out and she is going to heal nicely
(1)

Oh Jeanette I am so sorry for you but glad you were able to ease her passing. I know I am glad we were all able to be there with dad, hard as it is. My loving thoughts and prayers are with you
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter