Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Yes Chris - well moisturized indeed. lol

Thx glad - I already ordered the refurbished small laptop. I loved that little one I "moisturized." It doesn't have some bell and whistles, like a camera, but was fine for what I needed. Some of its functions may still be OK. We will see. I will leave it covered with rice till tomorrow.
(4)

Golden, I hope the rest of the day and week are better for you, and that life goes more smoothly for you.
(5)

Thanks GA. I'm getting there. . I just feel a bit like an idiot for what I did but thankfully it's not hurting anyone else and its manageable/fixable in one way or another.

Really these are first world troubles. I have a house and heat and light, water and food and my bills are paid and I am still largely independent and reasonably healthy. That's a lot to be thankful for and I am.
(10)

Today's whine moment ... mom got a zoom call with maybe nine relatives on at once that wished her a happy birthday. I explained earlier that zoom with multiple callers tend to confuse her. I end up repeating everything said and telling her how to respond (say thank you, etc). It makes everyone feel good and makes me exhausted. I didn't arrange it and the one who arranged it was given credit and high fives for arranging this "loving gesture". I don't expect to hear from the loving gesturers again until next birthday if there is one. I know I must sound bitter but I'm not. I know that mom sits in silence, for the most part, and has hoped for calls in the past but gave up. 'We don't want to expose you to the virus' doesn't mean that a meal can't be dropped off, or a birthday card sent by grandchildren, or some acknowledgment that she is still living. I guess that is what to expect in old age .. to be greeted electronically.
(7)

What the heck! I try to copy links on this site to questions on this site and all that will copy is Agingcare.com. This sure makes it impossible to help others by directing them to another page that they may find helpful.

What's up with that, Admin?!
(4)

I see my dad 4 hours a day, he won't wear his hearing aids, tv blaring so loud, talks over me and my sister trying to micromanage what I do while she is 1200 miles away, I'm burned out and pissed
(3)

I woke up to minus 33 C (-27F) feels like minus 42C (-44F). I don't like it, but we have done very well up to now so can't complain too much. Pumpkin went out onto the front step for about 45 seconds then begged to come back in. She scratches vigorously on the glass beside the door.. Rocky is smarter - she didn't even try.
(5)

An expected storm this week ... so items, clothing, etc. to donate must be moved, again from outdoors to my car or indoors. Each weekend, it feels like for the past few years I've been decluttering slowly. It feels like the slow death of me. At one point, I had young teens but they have moved onto college and one is graduating. Meanwhile, three grandkids that could offer more youthful energy than myself have at least dropped off a gratuitous lunch box for mom, not me of course.
(1)

Pasa - that's nor fair!

Me whining again. I thought I would be done after the 2 computer fiasco, but things keep happening. The frame of my glasses is cracked, one hearing aid just died, and I just dropped the cap to a bottle of olive oil in the kitchen and I can't find it anywhere.

But on the bright side the kitties are happy as I found two spring coil toys under the stove when looking for the bottle cap and they are having fun.

It's an ill wind that blows no good.
(5)

I mailed a package to my daughter with more masks that I made, plus dog bandannas.

She was going to send a photo of my grandpuppy wearing his new bandanna to me.

She got a notification that it was delivered but the package isn’t there. Grrrrr.

I tracked it. Says it was delivered.
(1)

Golden,

I don’t think that I would survive in your winters!
(1)

NeedHelp, me neither. In the UK, anything below zero is considered an "Arctic Blast" and just a few cm of the white stuff has the media reporting "heavy snow".
(2)

need - sorry about your lost package - some packages are bound to be lost with all the extra mailing these day. Hope it turns up. I have found mail for a neighbour in my slot and have had a neighbour drop off mail for me she found in my slot. I suspect some people don't bother.

You get used to the cold but it takes a while. I have seen people from tropical countries dressed in everything they own on the first frosty day of winter and I have wondered how they were going to make it through the cold that was coming.

chris -I lived in the UK for seven years when I was young (14-21) and the raw cold with the humid air can be bad when combined with no central heating. Chilblains and all that. But its not 40 below!
(4)

Golden,

Yeah, I am hoping it will show up.

I am super sensitive to the cold!

Years ago we went to see the fall foliage in New England. I was freezing and it wasn’t even winter! LOL

I had layers of clothing and boots, hat and gloves on and still cold!
(3)

NHWM--I tend to get cold hands, and wear gloves a good 5 months of the year. When I was employed in a lab, my technician would hold frozen vials to thaw them, but I would hold warm vials to cool them down!
(3)

My wife's ID was stolen by an online creation of a bank account with a debit card, but Chase bank caught them in time before any money was lost. We are pressing charges and taking other important steps in the process. I must say that when you have a credit card with Chase, they keep an extremely close eye on things which we appreciate. I can't say that about all credit cards. That's why I have so few. I did learn that there is a free online service by which you can check to see if anyone has created a banking account in your name, and for 15 days free will see if anyone has copied you DL or SS card. My son knew about this. He should as a former bank examiner for the US Government.
(4)

Two ironic things here.. In august we ordered a lovely entertainment center for Moms area.. got her a large TV,, as her vision was bad. The fireplace part came in one week,, she really enjoyed it. But the entertainment center... backordered forever.. TV on a card table..fireplace underneath..but the set up was,, not attractive. Mom passed on the 8th.. the dang center arrived this week. Today her stimulus check arrived. Dated on the 6th.. she passed on the 8th... She was alive when they mailed it,,but now what? I feel like I should be able to use it for her remaining bills.. Guess I'll have to call the bank on this one. I have read that you should send it back if they were already passed.. but she was alive at the time and waiting on the dang thing. I hate to ask what next!
(6)

((((((Pam))))
(3)

We have finally had enough lasting snow to open the local snowmobile trails and by the sound of it my street on the edge of town is being used as a drag strip as people cut through town. This had better not keep up all night 😠
(4)

CWillie, you just go out there and yell "You young whippersnappers!" They'll stop and ask each other "What the F are whippersnappers?" That will give you at least 5 min. of quiet. ;)
(6)

Gershun, how are you today?
(1)

Pam, a lawyer on the radio said that if alive when it was mailed the trustee or executor can put it in the estate account when you have the EIN. Yes it can be cashed for her expenses. But that is a lawyer on radio, so who knows. He also said they have sent out so many wrongly that they are in choas and will NEVER check on this. So I would say you can cash it. The same thing happened with my bro's 2,000 stimulus. It was in his room as he was dying and I got with his mail after his death. I could have cashed it. He didn't need it. I returned it. It arrived two days before his death. I often wish I had cashed it, and now his estate is settled just given it away to those in need to stimulate the economy. I don't honestly need my stimulus and I have given it to those in need (our Ca fires and so on) so that it WILL go into our economy. My advice is put it in her estate account, and distribute on her bills, get it into the economy instead of back in the fed coffers; they already count it as having been given out.
(2)

Pam,
I know I am late, but I am so very sorry to here about your mom.

Hugs!!!💗
(5)

I'm fair to middling early bird. Thx for asking.
(3)

Hello Gershun, glad you are ok.
(1)

Fair to middling would be an improvement for a lot of us. Gershun, you have so many of the same sayings as my family growing up.

Earlybird,
You are kind to ask. I will reply to your p.m. here.
I am fine, just take naps or quiet times between 2-4 p.m.
To avoid frustrations in the kitchen, I return to my room (no chairs, just a bed) often. Mostly when dH has a recipe different than mine, and I am the cook.
Most of the time, we are helping each other, but forced togetherness takes a toll, as he occasionally slips into control mode.

How are you, Earlybird?
(3)

Bought a dozen of fresh big blueberry, raspberry lemon muffins at Costco's on Sunday. Costco discounted them because of the storm. I had a weak moment and bought 2 packages. The deal was 2 for the price of one. Muffins in the freezer and the plan to is take one out and share. Hope we stick to it. Harder to get off the sweets than I thought this time.
(4)

EB,

Blueberry muffins and cranberry/orange are my favorite.

Banana nut, bran or morning glory are very good too.
(2)

BTDT earlybird 😉
(1)

Hi cwillie, I had to look up BTDT. Very slow thinking on my part. Would never have thought of it LOL.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter