Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Pam,

My mom is the same, minus the wine. She nibbles. Never a full meal. Even though the doctor wanted her to gain weight.

They aren’t anywhere near fat! Just barely over 100 lbs. My mom is tiny!

Loves to be fashionably dressed. She is quite stylish.

They are part of that glamour Hollywood generation.

They aren’t about to lose their figures! LOL
(3)

I think I messed up both rotator cuffs on Thanksgiving by lifting the turkey and a full stockpot. It was getting better, so I carried up a load of clean laundry and now it's gotten worse. I've had rotator cuff surgery before and I know the doctor would just tell me to rest my shoulder for a couple of weeks before coming in to the doctor office.

I hurt both shoulders, how am I supposed to rest them both? I live alone and my daugter can't help me because she has already been exposed to Covid19 twice at work. I've got the worst arm in a sling.

It's especially frustrating, because I can't decorate for the holidays and I can't put the blasted stockpot away.
(3)

My cousin has Covid. He says that he feels like he’s been hit by a train!

He’s had two heart surgeries this past year. He has diabetes. He suffered horribly with colon cancer. Now this!

He was in the hospital with Covid. They sent him home. He started feeling really bad again and now there are no available beds in the hospital.

I am concerned about him. He’s more than a cousin. My parents raised him since he was 9 after his parents died. He’s more like a little brother to me.

He moved away right after his university graduation. First Manhattan and now D.C. suburbs.

We have always visited each other and stayed in touch.

Really hope he can recover as soon as possible. He is in his 50’s and is single. He’s always been so active in his career that he never slowed down enough to maintain a lasting relationship.
(4)

That sounds like a scary situation NHWM, especially since he is alone with nobody to keep an eye on him. I hope he gets over it quickly, in the meantime maybe you (or someone) should keep checking in with him in case his symptoms worsen.
(2)

Thanks, cwille.

I have been so upset. All I can do is hope for the best.

He’s had so many health issues.

He has always been a ‘type A’ over achiever.

I was so happy when he promised me that he would slow down after his last heart attack.

He used to work between 60 - 80 hours a week. His doctor told him that 80 hour work weeks had to stop. He told him to retire early. He took a leave from work while recovering from his heart surgery.

Then he lost his health insurance and he planned on working again but not 60 - 80 hours.

He came to visit me about a month ago. He looked good.

I spoke to him earlier today. He feels so horribly that I did not keep him on the phone long.

He lives alone except for his cat.

I’m kind of nervous about his situation.
(2)

NobodyGetsIt, IsThisReallyReal,
I was in NYC and saw a homeless person with his wife sitting on the corner sidewalk. He said he was hungry. I gave him some money and told him to go and buy some food. I overheard them say now they can get some booze. I went right back to them and told them I gave them money for food not booze, he went into McDonalds while I waited and came out with a bad full of food.
Another time in route for gifts around Christmas. A young woman around thirty was caring a sign, she seemed so cold. I went and bought her a nice warm hat , scarf and mittens at Macy's. She put them on right away. I was out again in a few days and saw the same woman, cold day without the things I bought her. I asked her where are warm things I bought her. She said it is difficult handling money with mittens on. I then decided not to do it anymore and give to my church and favorite charity. Authorities stopped the people from begging on the street. They found out they were using drugs with the money people were giving them. Granted there are really down and out honest people that really need the help, but people lose trust with people like that.
Another time I was in Boston, a man was playing his guitar with his little child in his arms at Quincy Market in the summer sitting on the ground. He had a beautiful voice and I guess he was giving back. He told me he was in a men's shelter and his wife and child in a woman's shelter. I felt very good about this man, he had pride, lost his job and money and very nice and polite. I did tell him he and his family could come and live with us for awhile until they got on their feet, no money needed, I gave him my cell but he never called. He said he was trying to find a job in the the city. I am not writing this to pat myself on the back far from it just responding to simular comments.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom,
So sorry to hear about your cousin. There is so much stress I am started to feel it more now. I am afraid for my cousin but hopefully she will stay put. She is a busy beaver and loves to socialize. She is a nurse and should know the risks involved. I hope your cousin recovers quickly. Boy you have enough on your plate. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you.
(1)

Thanks so much, EB.

My cousin did everything that we are told to do, and still got COVID. He always wore a mask. Constantly washing his hands. Socially distancing and so on. His area has increasing cases like many other places. It’s frustrating.

I want COVID to be a distant memory!

It’s really hard to see so many people suffering with it. And extremely hard to hear about the deaths that have occurred.

I am deeply upset about my niece too. She seems to be improving. She hated wearing a mask!

She kept making it into a political issue rather than a health issue. Grrrrrr!

She wanted to make believe COVID wasn’t something that she could catch! That’s an insane attitude to me.

Sadly, now she sees first hand COVID is real!
(2)

EB, I so get how you feel about helping.

I have given money and a promise of a job to men that say they are looking for work. 2 times and neither showed up.

One time I was totally swamped at work and I needed help cleaning my church, I offered a woman on the corner with a will work for food sign, 20 bucks for 2 hours of vacuuming and dusting. She was completely offended and told me she was looking for a nanny job, fulltime. Yeah right, who is going to pick up a woman from a street corner to care for their children?

One time in Vegas I saw a woman that begged on the same street corner Tuesday thru Saturday climb in to her 60k Mercedes. That was 25 years ago. I knew then that it is a lucrative, if illegal, trade.
(2)

NHWM
I am sorry to hear about your cousin. 💝

Isthisrealyreal,
Are you kidding me? You offer these people jobs and they didn't take it!! I guess, they didn't need the money that bad! Did they?

I give homeless people socks, food, water and never money! I always have small bags in my jeep with these things and most of the time I get a thank you! I have had a few that looked disappointed, but like the old saying goes "beggars can't be choosing!"
(2)

Thanks. Hoping that he will feel better soon.

He’s overcome a lot in his life. This is one more health challenge for him.
(2)

"earlybird,"

At least you were still around and overheard the man you gave money to in order to buy food for he and his wife say they were going to get alcohol. Good for you marching back and telling him it was for food and actually watching him go to McDonalds until he brought the bag of food back!

The gal you bought the warm hat, scarf and mittens for - she was quick on her feet to say she couldn't handle the money with mittens (wink, wink). Too bad you didn't get to say something like "well, you don't have to handle money with a warm hat or scarf so where are those?" - lol! I had a similar incident happen a couple of years ago in the summer. I saw a lady probably in her mid-upper 60's standing under a freeway bridge on the off ramp. It's hot where we live and I felt sorry for her. I parked my car at a shop around the corner and walked up to her asking her what her story was. Yeah "story" alright. I said I was going to go to the store and get her a few things and since it was lunchtime, some food from Chick- fil-A. So off I went. I got her a visor hat to keep the sun out of her eyes, one of those folding fans, a sandwich, fries and two extra large cups of water so she wouldn't get dehydrated. She really laid it on thick. Next day she was on the same corner and just like your situation, she had none of those items - I didn't bother to park my car and ask. But, that was it for me too. I just donate to reputable organizations now.

Boy, that last guy - I would have been afraid to have a complete stranger in my home. Maybe it was for the best you never heard from him. After all, who in great need would turn down an opportunity to have a place to stay until they got on their feet?!

I guess the lesson is - we just don't know who we're dealing with and what the real story is!
(2)

NeedHelpWithMom, I think after we get some distance from covid we will learn so much more about it, like maybe it is transmitted in ways we didn't suspect. How else could your cousin get it after being so careful? How else do essential workers get it while being clothed head-to-toe in PPE? The eventual learnings will be so interesting...and probably humbling.
(2)

EB ,

I lived near Los Angeles in the 80'S. A local radio station did an experiment.
They put a staff member on a freeway offramp with a sign "Please help ".

After 1 month, they multiplied his take x 12. He would have made over 5 figures! It kinda jaded me!

I ABSOLUTELY know this is not the case with the majority of our homeless population, however, it begs the question "how can we help?".

You obviously have a big heart for wanting to help these folks!!

Especially this time of the year when people seem to open their hearts and their purse strings!

I confess that I live in an area with a hidden homeless population. I know they're out there, but don't come across them.

After what you witnessed, what advice would you give to those of us that would also like to help?
(3)

EB,

Be careful if you ever visit New Orleans. There are scammers here that have been around a long time!

I taught my daughters to be street smart at a young age.

I have compassion for those in need. I help certain people, but not all.

I know the scammers here to avoid. They have done the same tricks over and over.

I don’t like the ones that try to wash windshields and expect payment.

Or the idiots that try to sell Mardi Gras beads to the tourist during the off season. That is a dead giveaway that a person is a tourist! No local will ever wear Mardi Gras beads during the off season! We only wear them at carnival time.

The scammers used to be harmless but some have become aggressive and sometimes violent.

My youngest daughter would drive me crazy with not paying attention to her surroundings.

My oldest one was more in tune with her surroundings.

The younger one was a bit more trusting, I suppose.

There’s a guy here with his typical line, “Hey, honey. I bet that I can tell you where you got your shoes!”

Mind you, I warned my kid, if you pass him, walk very fast with confidence, DO NOT make eye contact or speak to him!!!

My darling daughter who is a diva, was flattered that he noticed her ‘cute’ shoes!

Hahaha, she was a teenager at the time. So, she makes eye contact with him! I had to pull her away from going in his direction.

His game is, a person takes the bet that he can tell them where they got their shoes. Then he tells them, “On your feet!” They lose the bet and he gets money! LOL

What a con! Well, some of these scammers chase people down if they don’t pay!

Sometimes they beat people up. Crime is up here.

People get scared and pay.

Years ago, there was a person that claimed to have lucky beans for sale.

No one wanted to buy the ‘lucky beans’ but the person would say there was a ‘curse’ attached if they didn’t buy them.

Some people fell prey to it and bought the beans!

Crazy stuff! I cross to the other side of the street when I see the nuts out!
(2)

Hello Xray,
We were vacationing in Lake George, stayed at a beautiful hotel. Saw a homeless man with a big old cart. He looked hungry and dirty. I stopped the car and asked him if he was ok. He said he was and started moving on. I asked him where he was staying but declined to answer. I felt so sorry for this man, I actually cried. Here I am vacationing at a lovely resort when this person is obviously hungry. I asked the family about getting him a motel and buying some food for him they all agreed. Talked to the manger and explained he needed a shower, food and air conditioned room and I would pay for it. The owner gave me a decent discount and helped the man to his room and made sure he showered. The next day the owner helped him get into the VA. I think of this sweet man often and hope he is doing ok. It could be one of our loved ones on the street, right? I guess I go with my instincts and if it feels right I will help the individual. I do not give to people in groups, standing on a corner. Something tells me it is not at all genuine. I do give to my church and the Salvation Army. I love to help but I do not like to be taken advantage of by dishonest people.
(2)

Geaton,

That’s what I think too. You took the words out of my mouth.

I think about health care workers too. Covid seems to be unpredictable or at least mysterious in some ways.

Everyone reacts differently to it. I know a guy that after months he still can’t taste or smell food.
It’s interesting how that happens with some people.

I agree with you. I just want it behind us so we can relax and feel normal again.

My husband had kidney stones awhile back. I had to take him to the ER because he was hurting so badly.

When he was in triage, the nurse came out and told me to make sure that I kept my mask on because the hospital had active cases and to make sure my husband kept his mask on when they put him in a room because of his cancer. It’s stressful for all of us.
(3)

It is so unfortunate that people are getting sick because so many refuse to have their lives interrupted.

When someone wearing a mask comes in contact with one of those that refuse to wear one, the rate of transmission is 70% versus 2 masked people which is 1.5%.

So for all the people that refuse to mask up, I am sure that all your friends and family thank you for putting them at risk.

Nhwm, so very sorry that your cousin got covid, even when he was doing everything right. Just reaffirms that everyone needs to do what is right or people pay the price. I pray for a complete recovery for him.
(6)

Xray, I recommend that you support the local shelters and soup kitchens.

Then carry cards with the addresses and services offered to hand out.

That guarantees that you are not paying for drugs or alcohol and actually supporting services that feed, cloth and house the needy.

If someone is truly hungry they will utilize the services that are available.
(2)

ITRR,

Thank you very much. I appreciate your kindness.

I am getting myself very upset thinking about it. Starting to cry a bit.

He grew up in my home since he was nine.

My aunt and uncle died two years apart, one cancer, one kidney disease.

I know this isn’t common but my mom and aunt were sisters and sister in laws.

My dad and his brother were brothers and brother in laws.

Sisters married brothers. Isn’t that funny? So he’s my double first cousin.

Sorry, guess that I am boring everyone but I suppose I am reminiscing about our growing up together.

I am going to try and call him. I haven’t heard from him since this morning.

I can’t get on a plane to go to D.C. or anywhere right now. Not safe to travel, plus I don’t want to leave my husband at this time.

Oh well...maybe I am getting myself too upset. Maybe he will be okay. I just broke down when he said that he was hurting so bad that he felt like he had been hit by a train. That freaked me out.

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble but thanks for listening.
(3)

Geaton, my mothers doctor made me feel great the day my mother had an appointment , she said we will all get it sooner of later. Her coworker a urologist got Covid. She also had a few of her sons college friends from China in her home for semester break.
My mother had an appointment with her endocrinologist a few days ago and when she came into our room she yelled at me for being there. I got huffy and said I would leave then. She quickly calmed herself down. She was worried for my mom and me. She said one of her patience got the virus and the entire family. She said most of the hospital is well ventilated but in the basement not so. She is fighting with administration about it. I told her she should have called me and cancelled the office visit. She said a lot of people think she is nuts for worrying about Covid so much.
(3)

NeedHelp, vent all you want. These are scary times for everyone. I was complaining to someone I was eating too many sweets and gaining too much weight. The person said live now, eat what you want, we could all die from the virus. I am trying to think who it was that said that. Oh well.
(2)

NeedHelp, I visited New Orleans the French Quarter about thirty years ago. I loved it, especially the plantations and the wonderful food. Love the buildings, culture and history. Had a great time with a dear friend. Pralines with cream were one of my favorite desserts. I am a doll collector, bought a beautiful old fashioned New Orleans plantation doll.
(2)

EB,

I am the opposite. I don’t mean to be but if I get really upset I can’t eat.

I know a lot of people have the opposite problem and over eat. We are all different, I guess.

I will actually get nauseous if I try to eat if I am upset.

My cousin isn’t answering his phone. He said this morning that it hurt too much to talk.
(2)

EB,

That was a wonderful thing you did for that man!!! I imagine he'll never forget your kindness!
My hubby and I once did the same for a family of 4. I will say however, that we paid cash instead of putting on our credit card. We were afraid of extra room charges.

ITRR,

You're so right about people who don't want to be inconvenienced !
As an example, I have been mentoring a sweet 23 girl. She did have underlying health issues, but ALWAYS wore her mask.
She contracted Covid 3 weeks ago. After being on a ventilator for over a week, she died on Sunday.
I'm heartsick!!!
(2)

Went grocery shopping at Costco's yesterday. Was putting the cart back and thought I had enough room to pass another side car. Ran into someone's car mirror and knocked his mirror off. I left a note and waited 45 minutes, called the manager and gave my phone number. As I was leaving the young man came out and I told him about the mirror. I did ask him if it was broken before because it was all rusty inside and broke quite easily but the man said it was not. I told him I was sorry and would pay for it, gave him my cell phone number, has not called yet, I should have gotten his number. I guess I will call the registry and see what they can do. I did tell him I wanted to use my mechanic and he will put a new mirror on. He has not called yet. I am the type to get things done right away. Don't want to forget and have this on my mind. Hope he calls me.
(4)

The talk about the homeless makes me think about my cousin.

Unfortunately, because he was abusive to my Aunt (that I am responsible for), I had to get a restraining order against him on her behalf.

He has always been "off", but I do have a few fond memories of him. I honestly think he has some serious psychological problems. And because of me, he is now homeless! Having said that, because I have asked one of my Aunts friends to keep tabs on him, I know he is in a hotel that was converted into a shelter. He gets 3 meals a day. House keeping and laundry services.

I have been told that when he gets his SSI check, he buys drugs and alcohol and has been seen at a park screaming at the sky and punching trees!

Nonetheless, I can't help but feel guilty!
(2)

I am being naughty this year to my brothers girlfriend. We played a joke on her last year to see if she would be a good sport. We bought her an Elf. She threw it across the room. She apparently thought that was all she was getting for her present. It ended badly, my cousin threw her out, my niece slammed the door in her face and I took back her lovely presents. The next day brother called and I told him to come back with her for dinner and presents. She loved them and we all held hands and sang Let There Be Peace On Earth. Well this year I went out and bought an Elf that plays music. My niece is giving her red elf ears and brother is giving her slippers. We shell see how this goes over. I like to have a little fun. My brother got an Elf from a church parishioner yesterday and he thought it was nice and thoughtful. What's the big deal?
(5)

EB,

Yes, New Orleans does have an interesting history and culture.

We have our issues but it’s home for me and I love it. It’s unique.

I am so out of the loop with this elf stuff. Hahaha I am embarrassed to admit that I know nothing about Elf on the Shelf. I know it’s popular, that’s all I know.
(1)

I just got off the phone with my cousin.

He got an infusion of antibiotics. His fever is staying at 102 for now.

He’s still in pain. The woman that he thinks he caught it from in his office is dead. How sad.

It’s awful to think about how many people have died from COVID.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter