Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Jodi I can so relate to that LOL! Only it’s not my hubby, he always replaces the roll. It’s my kids, almost always my OLDEST who will be 13 on Christmas Eve who always uses the last roll and doesn’t replace it! My hubby uses the master bathroom which is torn up and going to be updated soon, all that works is the toilet, the kids & I use the hallway bathroom. Every time I go to use the bathroom and see the empty roll, I get so frustrated! The kids know where the TP is kept and neither of them replace the roll! So it always ME who gets stuck replacing it!

My whine moment today. My 8 year old has started blowing raspberries! All day he did. And yesterday too. And the day before. He started doing it Tuesday while we were out running errands. He did it again while running errands yesterday. Clearly this is NOT the time to be blowing raspberries in public! Every time he did, I nearly lost it! Thank God there was never anyone close enough to hear him but d*mn! In today’s climate I am sure at the very least I would get yelled at if someone heard him blowing raspberries. Every time he did it, I wondered if we were either about yelled at or kicked out the store! I really don’t know what has gotten in to him. This morning during “distance learning” he was doing it repeatedly and I tell ya, I am sick of hearing it!
(4)

Worried,

While I totally get how disconcerting blowing raspberries is during a pandemic, I have to admit that it gave me a good chuckle!!! Thank you!

As for the TP, maybe you could hide a roll just for you, then when someone starts hollering for TP, you can just blow raspberries at them! Lol

I my try that myself!!
(4)

Replacing the toilet paper roll used to be my job, until Covid-times messed with that.
Evolving chores, and my dH seeking new heights at which to control someone, or something, he made the mistake of trying to control me. 😊 And knowing he had to find new places to store two months supplies of T.P., I was understanding and patient when he put the supply up wayyy too high for me to reach.

It became his, all his job. I would even help, or change a roll if I could find it, or reach it, or even use the step-stool to climb up. Naw, just not worth it! Lol.

So, he was not this way prior to Covid. But the stress has gotten to him, or maybe it is normal aging?

It was at first embarrassing to be calling out from inside the bathroom.......
"Honey, can you please bring me some T.P.?"

Don't get me wrong, I do love him. And letting him be in control of the toilet paper is the least I can do to help out with his anxieties about it. 🚽🧻️🧻️🧻️🧻️🧻️🧻️🧻️

Lol Jodi! If I hid a roll just for me, I would forget where I hid it......
(6)

Xray, this is a big pet peeve of mine. I was the one who replaced the roll once I took over the caregiving and household and now if I use the last piece I leave it and I really don't care. I also took a package of toilet paper and put it away secretly for myself and mom. Family told me not to worry they will use leaves if we run out ha ha, I would love to see that.
(3)

Regarding items set at gravestones in a cemetery. My sig-other works in a small cemetery, it's his something to keep busy after retirement job.

He has told me that people will place trinkets at the gravestones only to later have the crows fly off with the items. Fresh flowers become a salad bar for the deer, so the next day one needs to clean up what is left of the flower arrangements. Larger items become a treasure hunt for raccoons and other critters who roam the cemetery at night. Items get dragged all over the cemetery but there is no way to know what gravesites the items came from.

One big problem is whenever there is a storm which has a lot of wind. Items get blown around. Heavy rain storms, items get washed away. Lot of clean up after storms, all items go into a trash bin.

Just food for thought.
(3)

That discussion reminds me of when my boys were students living in shared housing - after grumbling for a while about inconsiderate housemates who not only used up all the TP they never seemed to buy any the oldest figured out that the solution was to carry his own private roll to the bathroom, that tip got passed along to his brother.
(4)

My whine of the day.... Whitman's Sampler box of candy. Bought a couple of boxes the other day and much to my surprise the company had changed the variety and amount of the two layers of candy.

Missing now are a lot of pieces, all of which were my favorites such as the chocolate covered cherry... the two chocolate covered crispy peanut butter bars... the second round chocolate with peanuts.... the second chocolate covered individual peanuts, and others. Bummer !! And the box is the same price but with less candy.

If you are buying a box, check the underside of the box which will show you what pieces are now in that box. I didn't do that because I never thought the company would change the variety :(
(4)

FF,
I hate when companies change their products and/or they 86 your favorite thing. Like your favorite chocolates and still charge you the same price.

I went into Bath & Bodyworks yesterday to pick up a Christmas present for a friend and thought I would pick up two bottles of my favorite lotion, however, they 86 it. Ugh! Not to mention they only had one bottle of Twisted Pepper, which I bought for my friend!
(1)

Shell and FF,

My MIL used to make me giggle about certain marketing techniques.

Yes, we all have our ‘favorite’ products. My MIL would see a commercial claiming the product was, ‘new and improved.’

She would say, “If it’s ‘new and improved’ what was it before, ‘old and lousy’?

I thought she was so cute and funny but she had a point with her comment!

Some things don’t need improvement! They were fine as they were!

You know what I hate? If my favorite lipstick color has been discontinued. Or they change the name and I can’t find it.

Guess that’s one advantage of wearing a mask! Hahaha, I haven’t worn lipstick in nine months!
(3)

NHWM,
Your MIL has a good point about the new and improved products. LOL!

I am so with you on the lip stick! I use to wear a coco brown lip stick that looked good with my dark red hair and I haven't seen it in yrs!! Do you know how hard it is to find a lip stick that looks good on someone with fair skin, bright blue eyes and dark red hair? VERY HARD!!! That was my favorite color. I have other coco colors, but they are to dark or to light! I guess, it really doesn't matter because we all wear masks. I miss wearing lip stick. I think my lips is one of my best features, but my eyes are the best feature because people think I wear contacts. No one ever believes that my eye color is real! Ha ha
(6)

It's actually freeing in a way wearing a mask. I was putting lipstick on today and suddenly thought why am I bothering. I've got lipstick stains on the inside of my mask now too.

I've always taken really good care of my skin and usually wear a bit of mascara and lipstick but I guess it's just for myself now and I suppose it always should be just for me so I'll keep on doing it, mask or no mask.👄
(9)

Brother called and asked if I was sleeping at 12:30 pm, I told him of course not and I would talk to him later.
Cousin this morning commented on me still in my pajamas. I did not respond but cut the conversation short. Don't people have a clue of some sort. Niece said to me nobody gets it. I plan on having a good day still.
(3)

Gee, where have I heard "nobody get's it" before. I'll have to scratch my head and think about that one -:)

Earlybird,

You just stick to your plan on still having a good day - in fact, better yet...make it a great day!!!

(((hugs)))
(1)

NHWM, I hope you're checking lipstick components to make sure there's no lead in them?   Several years ago the Enviromental Working Group posted on lead in women's lipsticks.   It was sickening to think that for years I might have been absorbing lead through eating.   

"Lead can contaminate the mineral pigments that color lipsticks – particularly red lipsticks. In 2012, the Food and Drug Administration tested several hundred lipsticks from 20 popular brands. FDA scientists found lead in every one."

https://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2017/02/pucker-dose-lead

I'm wondering if this could reach the widespread concern arising from children who've absorbed lead from paint.  Granted, our brains aren't as vulnerable as those of children, but who wants lead in their bodies anyway?
(2)

GA,

Thanks for the info. That’s fascinating. I don’t wear shades of red at my age, 65. When I was younger I loved shades of red. Now I wear neutral shades.

I never knew about lead in cosmetics. I always check to make sure there is no animal testing on any cosmetic products that I buy but was totally unaware of possible lead contaminants.

I remember the warning about old baby cribs that had lead paint.

Lead is toxic, so it absolutely has no place in cosmetics.

It’s really interesting that you brought this up. I was reading an article on items to never buy in a dollar store.

One thing on the list was cosmetics because their origin of manufacturing is often unknown, and they could contain products not good for our skin.

Same with dog treats, dogs were dying from these treats.

Also, lead paint on children’s toys are dangerous.

I tend to buy lipstick from drugstores, not dollar stores.

There are other safe things to buy from the dollar store but it is wise to steer away from anything that could contaminate our skin.

The other thing the article mentioned was not to buy vitamins from dollar stores.

Dollar stores are everywhere these days!

People like saving money but we do have to be cautious about what we buy.
(2)

Boo hoo... Saints lost 😞 to the Eagles today. We still in the playoffs, though.
(0)

NHWM, good information on Dollar Store products.   I can't remember the exact issues of what I read, but it was to the effect of some Dollar Store versions (with Dollar in the name but some differences) were Chinese owned, and that products COULD be of questionable safety.   Doesn't surprise me.  

Good point on not getting vitamins from them.  Years ago I bought some lotions, including those made by well known manufacturers, but I've thrown them all out.  Why take a chance?  

Some many years ago when Carl Levin and John Kerry were still in the Senate, a hearing was held on Chinese products and contamination.    Photos were posted that someone had taken of a Chinese plant where some type of personal product manufacturing was taking place.  

I don't recall if it was vitamins, medicine (I think it was this) or whatever else, but it was horrifying.  The place was a dump, with broken windows, overgrown grass and weeds.   I found it difficult that anyone could be forced to work in such an environment, let alone that anything possible useful could be manufactured there and sent overseas for inclusion in meds.  

That's what I started asking pharmacists about the source of the meds I bought.   I finally found an honest one who told me if products were from China, and searched around to find ones that weren't.   It wasn't easy.

I assume you also known about Johnson & Johnson and its baby powder which should never be used in a woman's personal areas.
(3)

Got a good report from Mass General and the PA for my mother. Decided to get take out at a lovely restaurant for the three of us. Took a walk into the restaurant and only two people were having dinner. I asked if I could sit in the back of the dining area with my mother and niece and it was ok. Felt very safe, chef made up pureed food for my mom, haddock and potatoes and for dessert a dark chocolate moose. The waitress was attentive and very nice. We were just finishing up our dessert when suddenly out of nowhere a man came over and sat down without a mask. I told him we all need to put our masks on and he said I am not worried about it and I said I am. He told us he saw my mother across the room and was drawn to her, told her he loved her, kissed her hand and cheek and his nose was running right onto my mothers hand. I was in shock so was my niece and when she gets nervous she laughs all she did was laugh. I told her not to encourage the man, was so drunk he could hardly stand up, he was about 50 years old. I felt sorry for him he was crying and tears rolling down his face. I did not have the heart to turn him away and then he started swearing the F word about himself and started getting loud , we got nervous and wanted to ask him to leave but felt intimated and said nothing. Dear mom gladly put her hand out to the man. I told her never do that with Covid again. I finally spoke up and said I had to pay the bill and get going. He left at that moment with no problem. The manager put him in a taxi for home. We reported it to the manager, he felt bad, said he should have monitored better. Now I will never take my mother out for dinner to a restaurant until this thing is over and we get the vaccine. The man was totally drunk. I even handed him a napkin to wipe his nose and he declined. I wonder why we attract such individuals. We were minding our own business way in the back. Heavens knows how he found us .Bad bad decision on my part. Hope my mom and the rest of us don't get Covid. It has almost been a year since my mother dined out. Got home we all took showers. Mom gave us a very hard time and told us she already took a bath today, explained about the nose dripping and then she was ok with it. I sprayed her down with an alcohol base at the restaurant. Mom is in her bed cozy and warm.
(3)

Garden,, I recently say a picture of a plant in China making surgical face masks. People were sitting on the dirty floor cutting apart the paper masks that were coming out of the machines. And this is what we are wearing!
(6)

Sounds awful, EB.

I would have showered too because I am a germ freak.
(1)

Early,
That is horrible! Somebody over served that man. You poor dear.

Pam,
Ugh!!!! And yet, I am not surprise! Will we ever learn? China is not safe for us! Don't mean to affend anyone! But "Gross!"
(4)

Dear "earlybird,"

I can't believe the experience you all had at the restaurant - what a strange situation. That sounds like something that would have happened to me too. My husband and I haven't gone into a restaurant ever since the lockdown.

I'm glad you were able to get your mom to shower again after you got home and you were able to spray her down with alcohol at the restaurant. I'm glad she's in her bed all cozy and warm but, sure pray that man didn't have COVID and pass it on to you all!
(5)

NobodyGetsIt, I am staying put for now on. I still feel sorry for the man, though. Manager said he wanted to make new friends. I am glad the manager was kind enough to put him in a taxi and send him home safely.
(3)

"earlybird,"

Very wise idea to stay put for now.

As for feeling sorry for him, I would have too - it was just the COVID aspect/drinking (?) that made it so disconcerting along with the odd behavior.

The manager did the right and kind thing by sending him home in a taxi.

Hope you are all ok as I was wondering earlier how you and your mom felt today.
(1)

Pamzimmrrt, sitting on a dirty floor cutting paper masks... how horrible, and disgusting and how unsettling, whether they used them on their own people or exported them (unless they sent the masks to Kim Jong un or Putin for their own personal use!)   I'm glad the masks I have are ones bought a few years ago for gardening, but if I ever run out of them, I'll check the manufacturing source.   

I wonder when that photo was taken, and how much it contributed to the spread of Covid 19 in China?

Earlybird, what a horrible if not terrifying experience.   I don't now what I would have done, but I might have turned away, opened my mouth loud and yelled HELP!

That's a delicate situation though.   Do you push the man away and protect your mother, or exhibit compassion to him for his own problems?   I'm not really sure what I could or would have done, even though I like to think I could have yelled and chased him away.  
(2)

"lealonnie1,"

I know a lot of you as longtime posters put a lot of time/thought/experiences into all your comments which was basically what I was trying to say about an OP who gets a lot of responses and never comes back to say anything. I don't need them to respond to me personally but, I do like to know how things turned out or maybe what they decided to do. I think I was misunderstood by someone else as I wasn't saying anything about people wanting to continue posting responses because they are interested. I don't care what others want to do on threads and for how long - that's up to them.

As for my example of people with the "I need help" signs - WOW, that guy you chatted with online is exactly what I'm talking about. My husband will sometimes give a $5 bill but, he told me never to give anyone money for my safety. I remember someone said to offer food instead (and you'll be able to tell by their response too if they are legit - if they get mad, then they most likely aren't in too much need of help). There was one young man probably in his early 20's who was at a freeway exit ramp. There was something about him that made me feel bad after I passed him. I turned my car around got back on the freeway and exited, rolled down my window and asked him if I could get him something from McDonald's (since it was around the corner). He said an apple pie. I was stunned and looked at him and said that's it - don't you want some breakfast (since it was early in the morning)? He said ok but, didn't tell me what and I told him to stay put. So I just got him some breakfast sandwiches, oj, a large cup of water and 2 apples pies. I was thinking boy, I have to somehow get the timing of exiting the off ramp right because people get po'd if you don't hurry up and get moving. It worked out fine and I handed him the bag and drinks. I KNEW he needed it - he said he had a dog so I saw him run home. I always looked for him whenever I took that exit. I saw him a couple more times and then never saw him again.

Your online friend back then ------------ he'll "pay" his dues someday along with the rest of them!
(3)

Nobodygetsit, I felt like you did about the street corners beggars accepting food and it being an indication that they are not really hingry, until, I heard that people do nasty things to the food and drink before giving it. Like peeing in the lemonade or spitting on the food.

I now carry cards from the Gospel rescue mission to hand out. That way I can donate to them and they can provide the food and services that are needed.

I thought I would share that with you so you could understand why some are unwilling to accept food.

Your husband is right about the safety but, it is typically the women that you have to be mindful of.
(2)

Isthisrealyreal,

I probably didn't explain it very well. I heard that some of them get mad if you offer them food because what a lot of them want is only money so they can go buy cigarettes, alcohol, drugs. gamble etc. In the situation I was in with the young man at the freeway ramp exit, he trusted me and was so happy to get the food I bought for him - when I asked him what he would like, he was somewhat shy about telling me what to get other than the pie so he just let me get whatever I wanted. I could tell he really likes their apple pies because of the way he said it which is why I got him two.

However, what you heard about the terrible things people do to the food and drink is something I would never thought someone would do although once again, I shouldn't be surprised. I just have a hard time thinking that way - that's awful!

That's a great idea to carry the cards from the Gospel rescue mission. I guess you hand someone in need the card and they go to the mission who may have some sort of food pantry and maybe personal items.

My husband just was concerned that if I were to try and hand money to someone out the window, they might grab my arm or try to force their way into my car. I didn't know I had to be mindful of the women too - good to know!
(1)

What is wrong with people who think that it is okay to sing in large groups for Christmas caroling? Without masks, no less!

Very sad!
(3)

Well now Mom is back to not eating,, I figured it out and called her out on it. She has to weigh herself every morning for the CHF, and then she wont eat all day because she is "getting fat" So another issue to talk to her Drs about. Yesterday she ate 1/2 a biscuit with gravy, and today it was 2 small pieces of scrapple, I guilted her in to agreeing to a 1/2 meatloaf sandwitch later.. But she sure doesnt turn down that wine! I told her she is anorexic,, she argues she is not,, I am tired of arguing,, but hubs gets frantic if people don;t eat,, he loves to feed people. I am about to give up on this and just let her go her way,, but hubs can;t handle it
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter