Follow
Read More
Jodi,

Some of us have crappy siblings.

Don’t apologize for ranting. That’s what the ‘whine’ thread is for.

I am sorry that you had a rough time with this situation. Hope it gets better.

How is your aunt enjoying her new roommate?

It’s sad for the elderly to see a roommate die.
(0)

My husband’s O2 levels dropped into the low 80’s. He’s now in the hospital for oxygen and a different IV med. I have an aide with him. My son is still at home but sick.

My dad fell this afternoon. Hit his head on the corner of a table. Had to have 13 stitches. Fortunately, nothing else. An aide is going to sit with him overnight to make sure there are no problems.

it’s been quite the day. I’m staying at home with my son. My cousin who works at the hospital will call if needed.
(7)

Bridger,
That’s quiet the whine. Three generations down! So good you have help. Keep us posted and stay well.
(1)

Bridge I am so sorry you are going through all this stress with your husband, dad and son. Hope things get better real soon. Prayers sent.
(3)

Bridger,

This is heartbreaking news. None of us wanted to hear this about members of your family.

I am so very sorry. I can’t imagine how you must feel concerning your husband and son dealing with this situation. I will continue to pray for them.

I do know about a parent falling. My mom had many falls due to her Parkinson’s disease.

One of her falls happened in the shower and when I saw bright red blood flowing in her beautiful white hair I was terrified!

She hit the faucet and received a gash on her head that required staples on her head.

Mom was scared. I was scared. Falls happen in an instant even with us right there. It’s very hard.

I hope things will get better for your family as soon as possible.

Sending a bazillion hugs your way. Take care.
(2)

Bridger, I'm sorry to hear about your father's fall in the midst of the your family's illnesses. I don't know how old he is...is concussion a concern? I pray not. Wishing everyone a speedy and full recovery, and strength and rest for you.
(0)

Bridger, I am so sorry and thinking of you and family. Hoping hubs gets better soon.
(2)

Bridger, I just read about the situation yesterday; sent you a few PMs but decided it's easier for you to see comments here.

How are your family today?   Has your husband's state level stabilized?  And how are you?   Your father, and your son?

You're dealing with so much now; I wish you were my neighbor; I'd bring over some meals so you wouldn't have to cook.    As it is, I can only offer best healing wishes across the states and miles.

I hope that your next post shares some good news.   But know that you and your family are thought of, with hopes and best wishes for safe recoveries.
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom, I do remember the orange can hair rollers!    Women used some odd "beauty treatments" decades ago, but at least we were creative.  And if the cans weren't completely cleaned, we had the benefit of smelling like a citrus orchard.

Today, more than likely some outfit would be selling them for probably several times the cost of the original orange juice.

You asked about my avatar.  It's a Heavenly Blue morning glory, with a hungry visiting bee in the center.   MG's are perhaps my favorite flowers.  My parents planted them (we had large gardens), and generally every morning either my father or mother would accompany us out to count the MGs.   I've counted as many as 125 blooms when they were in full bloom.  

I did take a LOT of photos of the garden, but haven't taken many lately.  I need to figure out how to use my new Nikon.   The manual is about 300 pages long!

I'm not sure if MGs or roses are my favorite flowers.    I used to grow David Austin hybrids, but eventually they all died off.   I think in retrospect I shouldn't have planted them as a side garden, b/c they got all the strong westerly winter winds.   

I need to start my rose garden all over again, and it will have climbers, lots of them to block out the few unfriendly neighbors.   One neighbor who moved years ago as also an organic gardener, knowledgeable and skilled.   She  made something from roses, but I don't remember if it was a jam or something like that, or a cosmetic.   Or if it was rose water.

My favorite types of planting arise from formal gardens, and knot gardens.   I used to design them while sitting in hospitals.   Two projects I want to create before I retire my hoe and trowel are (a) a knot garden border of sines and cosines, using pastel colored alyssum, and (b) a Pi garden.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/14/10-stunning-images-show-the-beauty-hidden-in-pi/?utm_term=.7f7d816dfd39

The third photo is my guideline, but my Pi garden won't be as complex; it'll just be one perimeter row of intersecting circles, of white, pale and deep pink, rose, violet and lilac.   I'm really excited about it but haven't worked out what flowers I'll use...yet.

I LOVE formal gardens!  English, French, Austrian.   That's also on the to do plan.   I don't think I'll have an informal wildflower bed; I do like the symmetry and control of formal gardens.  

Evergreens - love the fragrance, especially in winter.   I grow Junipers, Arborvitae and Yews.   I had more but one of the nasty neighbors reached over the fence and cut them down b/c they were growing up into the fence.   (Some of the neighbors here are real jerks.)

I woud love to grow gardenias, but I'm not sure if they could handle a Michigan winter.   Ideally, though, I'd have a greenhouse or conservatory!  (May as well dream.)

There is a magnolia that can tolerate Michigan winter; they're so lovely, so delicate and are so typical of Spring.   I would also love to be able to grow camellias; I haven't really thought about trying them though.   Hydrangeas are also favorite flowers, but I haven't tried them yet either.

Are camellias and gardenias moisture loving flowers?   Do they wilt in NOLA's high humidity?   Do you grow veggies too?  What kinds?

Thanks for asking about my garden; I do love to talk about gardens!
(4)

Oh, no, Bridger, I just saw your hubby is hospitalized now with his covid. I am keeping him in my heart.
GardenArtist, how is your brother faring?
(1)

NeedHelp, I used to iron my hair in the morning before school. I also used big pink rollers to straighten my hair. I had and still have wavy hair, but I like it now.
(3)

I ironed mine and also used to roll it on frozen juice cans to straighten it out. Now I let it go curly.
(2)

GA,

Gardenias do well here. I love the scent. Sometimes I place one flower in a bowl of water just to have the scent in my kitchen.

I also love the scent of night blooming jasmine and honeysuckles.

Azaleas also do very well here. I love hydrangeas too.

My grandpa grew veggies, all kinds. Grandma had her fig tree. Daddy grew peppers, lemons and kumquats. I haven’t grown veggies.

I like all kinds of gardens. I would like to visit Bellingrath Botanical Garden in Mobile, Alabama. It’s not too far of a drive from New Orleans.

My daughter says there is a nice botanical garden in Denver where she moved.

Once I saw a beautiful botanical garden featured on Victory Garden (PBS show) in Christchurch, New Zealand that looked fabulous. That would be lovely to see.

I like the serenity of Zen gardens. The Far East gardens are stunning.

All gardens are a labor of love but well worth it.

I admire your green thumb!
(1)

EB,

I agree. I like my waves now too. I had my father’s auburn hair when younger and I have blue eyes. I took after daddy’s side of the family (Irish and Scottish). Mom had dark hair and dark eyes. Now she has gorgeous white hair. Mine is silver like daddy’s was.

I used to dye it. But I got sick of coloring it. My oldest daughter says that I should do blue streaks! LOL
(1)

I have a friend with short grey hair. Once her hair dresser put a lovely blue /violet large streak in the front and she said a couple of people on the street on the way home comment favorably on it. I saw a pic of it and I wish she had kept doing it. She looked great!

My hair is snow white but I keep dying it dark blonde as it was. When I go to the hairdresser I get light blonde streaks in it, but I don't want to try that at home. Maybe one day... I like the look.
(1)

Golden,
Snow white with a streak sounds absolutely smashing!

My aunt had the exact natural hair color that I want now. It had turned white, with natural blonde streaks, making her look like the same colors as a baby fawn.

I am still adding an ash blonde because I do not want to end up with bright yellow straw blonde or anything like an orange. Medium blonde or dark blonde often works great as it fades a bit and looks natural for a longer time.

It is time we all took better care of our appearances like you are doing.
I need to stay a blonde, at least until I get a pretty white!
(2)

Golden,

Maybe one day I will do the blue streaks and post it on my profile!

My oldest daughter that suggested I do streaks in my hair has very eclectic taste! My youngest one is my little diva!

Isn’t it funny how our kids are raised in the same house, in the same manner but can have very different personalities?

Even though my girls have different personalities they get along great.

It’s a shame my youngest daughter moved far away and we don’t get to see her now but I will never make her feel guilty for moving. I am proud of her for following her dreams!

I’m proud of both of them. My oldest moved away after graduation too for a few years but returned back to New Orleans so we do see her as often as possible.

It’s not unusual for families to be spread out all over these days.

Gone are the days where families stay close in proximity.

Times are different and often people go wherever they can have the best opportunities in life.

I remember my father working at the same job from a young man into his late 60’s.

People no longer have the security they once had in jobs.

It’s a different world that we live in now with lay offs, bankruptcies, etc.
(1)

Send,

Blondes can get away with coloring longer. My neighbor had beautiful blonde hair until she died in her 90’s!

I found for myself that coloring my hair with a darker shade it was starting to look fake so I decided to go with my natural silver and I like it.

My kids tell me that it goes well with my blue eyes.

My grandmother had gorgeous snow white hair. My mom has the same beautiful hair. I got the silver like my daddy.

My husband has distinguished salt and pepper hair and is as handsome as the day that I married him 😊.
(1)

NHWM,
My husband is getting more handsome too, with grey.

It just is harder to cut because if you cut away the brown wrong, the grey looks like a bald spot!. Looks like Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs on NCIS. They call him the silver fox because he too has blue eyes!
(1)

There is lovely white hair on my maternal grandfather's side of the family but my mom inherited a dark grey from her mother, although it actually was lightening to almost white at the end - maybe if she had lived a little longer? I decided covid was the perfect time to stop colouring, but then I've still only got a little salt in my dark hair.
(3)

send -that was ,my next plan for sometime in the future - going back to snow white and putting in dark blonde low lights. Roots would be less of a problem. Procrastination - my middle name over some things.

nhwm I think you are right about blondes. I am sure your silver hair is wonderful with with your blue eyes. Blue streaks would be great.

cwillie - I was whiter than my mother at one point. It started after I had my youngest son at age 41. She went grey very gradually but ended up white after she was 102 or so.
(2)

Just a shout out to bridger -how is your husband and rest of the family doing? You really deserve your own thread for that.
(2)

Cwille,
You only have a little bit of salt?

Not me! I am just about all silver! I think I am older than you, though. I am 65.

It’s interesting how some people keep their natural hair color longer than others, while others get grey hair prematurely.

I know a woman that went all grey in her 30’s! She had a newborn and was completely grey.

I do think stress plays a part in going grey. Do you?

Wasn’t it in the Sixth Sense that the young child had a streak of grey hair? That was an interesting movie!
(0)

Send,

Yes! And look at George Clooney with silver hair! I think he is more handsome now than when he was younger. Do you?

Mark Harmon too! Jane Fonda decided to stop coloring and she looks fabulous.

Who’s that woman that played on Dynasty years ago? I think her character was, Alexis or something like that. My mom used to watch that show.

I saw her on a talk show awhile back and she still had that dark hair! She’s very old now.

Blondes look great if they color because blonde is a soft lighter shade but us brunettes start to look harsh or fake still coloring.
(0)

We tend to keep our colour in my family, my dad's hair was still a faded brown when he died at 75, nobody knows when mom's hair actually went completely grey (except maybe her hairdresser). My SIL is the same age as me (60) and after getting fed up with touch ups she has let her hair go it's natural grey, it looks good on her though!
(2)

Bridger, I hope all is well with all of your menfolk! (((((((Hugs)))))))))
(4)

NeedHelp, I just love blue eyes, my mom has the most beautiful big blue eyes, she is pure Irish, two brothers have blue eyes and blonde hair and I have brown eyes after my dad. My hair is dark brown with some gray but I do a gentle color rinse and usually washes out in a month. I am sick of rinsing my hair too but I am not ready to go gray yet. Mom has beautiful white hair used to be very dark brown, she was a beauty when she was young and still is, everyone tells us she looks like Queen Elizabeth. She loves her fancy hats, she looks great in them and has that classic look. She is still beautiful with silky white skin, no wrinkles at 98 years old. I certainly won't look that good when I am in my nineties.
(2)

EB,

My mom too. No wrinkles and she’s 95! Good genes, right?

Awww... I love hats too. My husband’s grandmother had gorgeous hats that she bought in New York. She would shop in NY twice a year, spring and fall. I wish I would have kept some of those hats. Even the hat boxes were gorgeous!

EB,

Remember that we had to wear hats to Mass? Later on, they relaxed it and we were allowed to wear chapel veils.

Oh my gosh, I had fancy hats, dresses, gloves, purses and dress shoes! We dressed up every Sunday.

People don’t dress up as much these days.
(3)

EB,

Your mom sounds adorable. I bet she has wonderful stories to share.
(1)

EB your mother sounds beautiful!!!
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter