Follow

I'm tired of cooking/preparing 3 meals a day. It's just the two of us but boy oh boy can that woman eat!! She stays slimish, I get fattish. It's bad enough I do everything here much less start making her one thing and me the other. At times I feel guilty when I buy her fast food cuz of the nutritional value....not to mention I eat it too.

1 2 3 4 5
Anxiety,

Glad your friend were able to get their meds.
(1)

Looks like my daughter will be able to get home before the heavy snow hits.
(3)

Needs, a friend of mine went to pick up his ozempic, they told him they where out of it. He asked them , what he was supposed to do? They looked at his chart, and poof all of the sudden they had ozempic.

So he tells them now right off , when he gets his script that he is diabetic.
I think most drug stores are holding so many for the people that need them
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom,

Mounjaro is much better than Ozempic. I take it for both my diabetes and weight loss.
(3)

Way,

I guess she’s going to have to if she can’t get a flight back home.
(1)

Need,
I hope your daughter is prepared to stay another day or 2 if needed.
(1)

Thanks, Llama and Beatty.

Wild horses couldn’t have kept my daughter from going on this trip!

As y’all know, my fearless daughter traveled across the country to live in Colorado after graduating from LSU. (Without a job!)

She has ambitions and found a great job in which she is working remotely at now. Her company told her that they didn’t want to lose her so they didn’t mind her working remotely from Louisiana.

She was in a relationship that was going nowhere with her last college boyfriend and the guy before him.

She's not going to settle for someone who doesn’t value her.

She decided to take a breather and came back to New Orleans for a while.

She still visits her friends who live in Denver. When attending her friend’s birthday party she met this guy and they have this ‘long distance’ relationship happening.

She flies there. He flies here. She has introduced him to all of New Orleans culture, music, food and so on. He grew up on the east coast and moved to Denver with his mom at age 12 after his parents divorced.

He flew our daughter out for her birthday. They drove to Vail to stay at a resort. She relaxed in the spa while he was skiing.

He’s an avid skier and she wants to learn how to ski but is also interested in snowboarding.

They make a cute couple. We met him and like him. She met his mom and brother and likes them.

Eventually, she wants to go back to Denver. I still can’t wrap my head around our southern daughter loving the cold climate and snow! I get it though, Colorado is a beautiful state.
(2)

Need, fingers crossed for your daughter's safe return.
(1)

I wonder how long this Ozempic shortage is going to be around. Our pharmacies are saying that they are having trouble getting it.

Our oldest daughter has type one diabetes. So many people are using this drug for weight management and it’s causing a problem for those who have diabetes.

Obesity is a problem too and some people want to turn to using Ozempic, Wegovy and Mounjaro.

The weight loss industry is huge. There are a bazillion different weight loss programs out there.
(1)

Oh gosh, my daughter flew out to Denver when we were under a tornado warning. Her flight got delayed for a few hours.

Now, coming back home she is hoping that her flight tomorrow will be okay. Denver is expecting about 17 inches of snow!
(2)

Geaton,

She sounds like a sassy little girl! 😆 The Jack Russell terrier is very smart!

We had a mini schnauzer that was quite spunky! The little dogs are fearless, aren’t they?

My schnauzer was a momma’s girl. She wasn’t crazy about my husband. He tolerated her because I loved her. He loved our greyhound. The schnauzer was a little too hyper for his taste in dogs.

I really feel like people should do their research on what breed of dog is best suited for them. It’s sad when people get dogs and then bring them to the shelter because the dog wasn’t a good fit for them.

I don’t think animals should be given as gifts. Not everyone wants the responsibility of caring for a dog, not to mention the cost of raising a pet. Vet bills can add up, dog food and treats, toys, grooming and so on is costly.
(1)

We had a Jack Russell Shorty who loved to run after our van across the frozen lake and we clocked her at 20mph for quite some distance (which is pretty good considering her entire body was not longer than a greyhound's leg). She was all muscle, as well.
(3)

cw,

I had a male greyhound. He was very lean and tall. He weighed 85 pounds of pure muscle.

Sight hounds can’t ever be off leash. I know a guy who got in his truck to go after his grey that escaped. He was driving 45 miles an hour to catch up to his dog. Fortunately, he did capture his dog.

Isn’t it incredible that your brother’s dog was able to catch a flying pheasant? They are fast!

Anxiety,

My cat would catch birds and lizards. She would play with them before killing them. She loved to show off her kill to us. They are natural hunters.
(0)

My cat had something long hanging out of her mouth, the little bugger caught a hummingbird. She saw me and dropped it. It played dead for a bit then fly off.
(3)

My brother's dogs were a little bigger than greyhounds 🤪.
Bro did take his champion out to a private track so he could have fun chasing lures but the other dog came to us as an adult and could never be trusted to come back if let off leash, her prey drive was very strong and woe to any cat that was caught away from a safety zone, once she plucked a pheasant out of the air.
(2)

cw,

I owned a sight hound. They are super focused and extremely fast. Watching my grey run at the park was amazing! He could out run all the other dogs there.

Ironically, they are couch potatoes at home! Very mellow personalities.

Greyhounds are the fastest sight hound. Ours was a champion when he raced. He was very happy as a retired racing dog.
(0)

Way, we now have official road-side signs saying ‘a cat’s place is in the home’. It’s because of the impact of cats on native wild life, particularly little ground-dwelling birds.
(6)

My bro had a pair of big sight hounds and once they noticed something interesting there was no calling them back.
(2)

Way,

The shelter told my daughter not to get a cat. Her dog has a very high prey drive.

I had a kitten that a German shepherd killed when I was a kid. Oh my gosh, I wish that I hadn’t seen that as a kid. They kill due to the prey instinct. Some dogs have a really strong prey drive.

My daughter’s dog will try to chase anything, a bird, a cat or a squirrel. It’s interesting though, he is sweet with little dogs.

The dog park has lots of dogs that go, from toy poodles all the way up to Great Danes and Mastiffs.

ITRR,

They were definitely trying to establish who was the boss. No blood, but lots of growling. I didn’t go near the dogs while they were battling it out.

My husband, who remains calm in a crisis, separated them. I stood a few feet away.

It happened super fast. They ran towards each other and started fighting. The last time, another dog accidentally ran into my daughter’s dog and my daughter’s dog was startled. I suppose that he was defending himself and started fighting.

Neither my husband or I show the dog any anxiety on our part because I do believe that they can pick up on our anxiety.

Golden,

My daughter’s dog was on top of the other dog. Neither dog was going to stop fighting. It’s interesting how each animal on this planet has their own distinct personalities just like humans.

I didn’t want to see either dog hurt and I think we did the right thing by removing the dogs from the park. I don’t see a lot of fighting going on at the park. Occasionally there is a scuffle or two.

Anxiety,

Yeah, he is definitely aware of his humans but huskies aren’t guard dogs by nature. They are high energy but also very friendly.

Whoever had this dog previously did a great job at training him. He listens very well, is super smart, doesn’t jump on people, etc.
(2)

This makes me glad I have only one cat and she stays inside. The shelter even made me “ promise “ to keep her inside for her safety .
(3)

Re dogs and dominance I had a very sweet gentle springer spaniel named Matt who was bottom of the pack in the house and happily took that position. However on our usual walk there was a young dog who used to bug him. Matt paid no attention to other 4 legged animals on our walks. He was after birds. One day it got to be too much for him and I heard some growling and I turned and saw this young dog on his back and Matt standing over him growling, That was all. We went on our way. That young dog grew up to quite a big dog and always wanted to challenge Matt but his owner would call him off. Matt again paid no attention to him. It was the dominance thing. I agree it is not problem behaviour but natural to the dogs. They sort themselves out usually.
(2)

As a German Shepard owner, I am going to chime in here, they too are closely related to wolves.

Need, any dog that has it's dominance challenged will respond with aggression towards the other animal that is pushing boundaries. If there was no blood, they were establishing who is the boss and that can be loud and scary but, not problematic if they aren't drawing blood.

Freaking out by the handler, you, creates confusion and indicates dangers unseen and that can escalate the situation if it is only boundaries being established. Don't get me wrong, I know how freaking traumatic it can be to witness this.

This is what dogs do and I, personally, would never take a large dog to a dog park, because people have no idea about how dogs deal with their space, creating a potential disaster.

It sounds like two dominant dogs met and disagreed about who was the Alpha, this can be expected whenever a dog feels the place they are is part of their territory.

Nothing is wrong with your daughters dog that a vet could address, it is behavioral and that is ALL training.
(2)

Needs, I'm wondering if your husky is for some reason protecting you. I don't know alot about them or dogs in general but did know someone that had one and I baby-sat her a few times.

And when I took her for a walk I felt so safe , she would just scan every wheres, and I felt like she was walking me. She seemed to love it because she was working and doing her job.

I've heard if you put like a doggy back pack on them, to carry your water or something also gives them a sence of working

I've heard that's why cats sleep by your feet, so they can be ready to jump into action at any moment.

Golden, when I had covid in the fall, I didn't realize the meds I was taking was non drowsy. I stayed up for 4 nights watching little house on the prairie, till I figured it out.
(3)

Alva,

I know that Huskies are closely related to wolves. They do have a strong prey drive. He is high energy but very sweet. He isn’t a howler like most are. He’s very smart.

He was 11 months old when my daughter rescued him. She was living in Denver during Covid and couldn’t go inside the shelter. She met him through a zoom meeting.

He was surrendered because he ate a bunny. His owners had taken him to the vet and never returned to pick him up. After the vet gave him meds for his upset stomach he was fine.

Everything was different during Covid. People were losing their jobs. Maybe his previous owners couldn’t pay the vet bills.

He had been socialized. He’s not afraid of humans at all. The rescue shelter was using him to test for compatibility with other dogs because he got along so well with other dogs.

So, this is odd behavior for him. He was neutered when my daughter rescued him. He immediately took to my daughter. She adores him and takes very good care of him. She takes him on extra long walks and to the park too.

My daughter started working remotely during Covid. She is still working remotely. When she worked in her office her dog went to daycare. He still goes to daycare occasionally and he does well.

He loves the park because he enjoys running. I am not going to take him back to the park for now and will tell my daughter about his behavior when she gets back from Denver.
(1)

Need,
Genetically I think Huskies are a bit closer to wolves than your average dog bred out to lose a lot of their aggressive genes (Goldens for instance).

If a god isn't neutered the aggression will be exponentially worse.
If he IS recently neutered, but later in life, then the hormones and memory behavior can still trigger incidents.
If other dogs in the park are not neutered you will see dogs, tho neutered or spayed, acting out with or nearby them.
Their noses are thousands of times more sensitive than ours and it is how they read the air and other dogs.

Dog parks are simply not for some more aggressive types. The energy is too high, too difficult for them to read. You can easily learn their body language, head and shoulders up, tail raised, stiff legged walk, eye contact, either no wag or tight more rapid wave to the tail. Time to leave at that point.

Dogs just aren't humans, and people sometimes still expect them to be so. They read their world in an entirely different way. They also read the person HANDLING Them. Whether they hold leash tight and are nervous, whether they are lame and need protection, whether they themselves are not in control, in which case the dog will take over the control. They are masters at reading OUR body language as we are NOT masters at reading theirs.
(3)

Thanks, Need, We work well together and play well together. R came home yesterday happy with some paintings he has been collecting, one in particular worth $$$$$. The thieves missed them or planned to get them later. The police are trying to get a DNA sample from an item in the house so there is still hope. R found footsteps up to the house in the snow the other night so they haven't given up yet.

Ana - there is crime everywhere these days. Back in the day, we never locked our front door - small town (~8000) and we lived in a area away from downtown. Locking the door still doesn't feel natural to me. I often left my house up north unlocked and never had a problem in 40 years.

Pam - what a day. I know what it feels like. The realtor emailed me that we have an issue in the house we have to deal with. Enough already!!! Good for you for exercising.

You too, Need. We should keep moving and try to keep strength as we age. I walk the stairs here, walk in the underground parking, do squats, leg lifts and balance exercises, and have started standing on one foot for balance. I'm getting better!! Due to CFS/FM I can't do many of them but everything helps. Hope the dog settles down.

nacy - my dd would step between dogs. She was fearless

Re animals and mating behaviour. We rescued a sweet black cat who went into heat before we could get her spayed. All our cats were spayed/neutered. The one male responded to her arching back position and try to mount her and after a bit he stopped and had this far away look in his eyes. It was funny. Like "I used to know what to do here".

I foolishly took a small amount of decongestant yesterday evening and also without thinking had green tea - not the decaf kind. That along with everything that is happening and needing to call R this morning to make sure he was up for his appointments is enough to keep me awake. I got 2 hrs sleep last night.

Oh well. I'll sleep today I guess. Tomorrow we go to the farm to get the SUV started. Have a good day everyone!
(2)

I learn such interesting things from the forum and many of them have nothing to do with caregiving. Apparently a female in heat, or just her urine, can cause aggressive behaviour even in neutered dogs.
(7)

That's really interesting about the mating season, I know we really have to be extra careful with are cats this time of year, when they go outside, because coyotes are a lot more bolder now.

My son is like the dog whisperer of dog fights. When he is at a dog park, and there is a fight, I've seen him jump into action holding onto 2 large dogs out for murder. It's amazing to see , but really scary, he has been bit few times. It's just what he does.
(2)

FF,

That’s an interesting thought. I hadn’t even considered that being an issue.

Let me tell you that I was panicking at the park earlier. Both dogs were growling and nipping at each other.

I was nervous for my husband who had to separate the dogs. The other dog owner was surprised by their dog’s behavior as well. They also left the park with their dog just like we did.

Do you feel that our daughter should speak to the vet? Is this a normal thing between dogs?

We used to take our greyhound to the park all the time and had never run into this problem with him. He was such a sweet dog. He lived to be 13. We loved him so much and cried so hard when we had to put him down.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, please note that this is the mating season for the sled dog breed. That could explain why he is fighting, probably with other male dogs [neutered or not].
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter