Follow

I'm tired of cooking/preparing 3 meals a day. It's just the two of us but boy oh boy can that woman eat!! She stays slimish, I get fattish. It's bad enough I do everything here much less start making her one thing and me the other. At times I feel guilty when I buy her fast food cuz of the nutritional value....not to mention I eat it too.

1 2 3 4 5
Grrrrr. Crappy weather coming our way. Strong winds and heavy rain. Workers still trying to figure out how to best handle to Hard Rock Hotel construction site where the hotel has partially collapsed.

Oh wow, they just announced on television that the cranes will be moved. They will demolish the building so the whole area will have to be evacuated to avoid accidents. So sad injuries and deaths have already occurred due to this collapse.

The contractors are still not responding to media requests. An investigation is being done to determine if criminal charges will be made instead of only civil charges.
(0)

Pam,

I adore British humor! My grandfather’s family came from England.
(1)

Need I have looked into Netflix, but I am not sure my Sat service will support it.. although I have a decent package. I guess I am just too cheap.. LOL I do have a free service called Hoopla from the library that carries a lot of films and british TV shows.. I like them. Hubs and I mainly watch Travel channel, discovery,, things like that. Mom watches the gameshow and cooking channels,, and endless CNN..
(1)

Pam.

I do the same. I only have basic cable but when the free promotions are on. I will record what I choose to.

Pam, do you have Netflix? More variety and you can watch some of the old classic programs. Plus some interesting shows that focus on human interest. Like the best sushi chef in Japan. His restaurant costs an absolute fortune to eat at an there is a very long wait to acquire reservations.
(1)

i dont care for movies . sorting the lies and propaganda out of documentaries seems to be a full time job . :)>
(2)

I do use a Cloud service for my photos,, but this was stuff from my TV service.. and I am sure not paying to back that up!! Like you we are very rural.. sat service for TV and internet.. When we get free high end channels I record movies, and with my job I am normally in bed by 830.. LOL so I record series I might like. time to find some new ones!
(0)

ive lost ALL pics so many times pam ( when pc's crashed ) ive about given up , BUT , i read some sap recently about a google cloud service that im pretty sure is free . im sure i wouldnt like the fine print but it would be nice to save photo's indefinitely . in the meantime i send them to myself in an email . yahoo has pretty unlimited photo storage too .
(1)

Tech and "not paying attention " moment today led me to delete EVERY THING I have DVRed.. And I mean everything! Oh well.. as hubs said now I can start fresh. Guess if I hadn't watched that series from 2015 so far, I was never going to..LOL But I am going to have to read how a few series ended!
(1)

i live very rural . anything that comes up my driveway is my problem alone . govt has no right to tell me to throw rocks to protect myself .
americas guns arent going away any time soon .
(2)

willie,
many cultures cant understand why germans have the right to drive 150 mph on their highways .
kinda the same with america and guns . culture / tradition .
my son lost his life to senseless gun violence . you know why ? he was forbidden from having guns to protect himself because of a past ( 2nd ) dui felony . when you take an americans guns away you effectively toss that person to the wolves . our society has a huge percentage of ' bad elements ' . the only thing a bad element understands is a BADDER element .
(1)

Well this day has gone to chit! The insurance just told us they are totaling out the car. It holds a lot of sentimental value and I still can’t believe I wrecked it. Time to go have a good cry and get it all out before I go out to the tow yard & get the rest of the stuff out of the car.
(1)

Good point polar, and I am very sorry that happened to you. A lot of people have had their sense of security ripped away after being the victim of a crime & that’s another factor. 2 times in 5 years is just awful! I remember when my MILs house was broken in to shortly after she & her partner left to work. She was upset for a long time. It happened in early December and Christmas was pretty much cancelled that year. No gifts, no Christmas morning breakfast, we still went over there but she didn’t even put up her tree! My grandparents house was burglarized a few times in the middle of the night after my grandpa went in to the nursing home because my uncle was deaf in one ear and couldn’t hear them. It was obviously the same person/persons each time.
(2)

Tomorrow is also the 30 year anniversary of the loma prieta earthquake. I was 8.5 when it struck and it’s something you don’t forget. We’ve had a few small quakes over the last few days. The biggest, I believe, was a 4.6 that struck at 12:45pm yesterday. I did not feel it. I went on a field trip with my sons class to the planetarium and we were all getting off the bus when it struck. The older kids were at the end of their lunch recess and I am bit unhappy with how the yard duty staff handled the situation. I know there were a lot of kids outside but they really didn’t control the situation well IMO. We were half way across the playground before we heard all the commands to stop and get on the ground. They did not let the kids get under the lunch tables which is what we were taught in my day—get under a desk or a table or to the nearest doorway and take cover. One yard duty lady told the kids it was the real deal while another one a few feet away way saying it was just a drill. So some kids were confused but I did hear a few kids tell the yard duty it WAS a real earthquake. After they deemed us all safe, we went to the classroom and I noticed a large tube on the ceiling, that’s the best I can discribe it. It’s painted blue and looks like a tube slide. It’s at least 2.5 to 3ft wide. I hope it is secure and won’t come down on the kids, should the “big one” finally hit!
(1)

My current home was broken into TWICE in the last 5 years. And the house I lived in 20 years ago was also burglarized and robbed. Thankfully no one was home at those 3 times. Had I been home, I'd wish I had a gun to protect myself because those thugs would sure have attacked me. And I live in ordinary neighborhoods.
(1)

Cwillie a lot of people live in dangerous areas with understaffed police forces. Understaffed LE agency=slower response times. So some people feel safer having a gun because they rightfully don’t believe the police will arrive in time. Then there are the pro 2nd amendment folks who have guns simply because it’s their right. But fact is, a lot of people still have them for safety.

What I don’t understand is why we don’t require a mental health exam before allowing someone to buy a gun. We have to go through a criminal background check in order to buy bullets. But no one questions our mental health. Criminal background checks tell us what’s in the past, they don’t predict the future. All those years my brother spent as a drug addict and a criminal and he’s got no felony convictions so he can own guns! He’s not diagnosed unless my family is hiding it, but he’s displayed symptoms of schitzophrenia for years. My MIL is a nurse and used to say she thought he had it. I know he’s on anxiety meds. My BIL is diagnosed bipolar and on medication. Luckily we don’t see either of them often but this still doesn’t sit well with me. Lately my BIL has turned to the conservative side. Ever since his wife dumped him. He used to be liberal, anti trump, pro illegal immigration. Now he’s posting anti-liberal memes on Facebook and buying guns & wanting to teach his 9 year old about them. I know that a sane person with a gun is just as capable of mass destruction but I strongly feel we need to address mental health issues in this country.
(4)

Just this morning on the news, an elderly woman was shot by a suspect, after the police were already on premises, called for a domestic dispute. It was at the home of the former Tarzan actor, he is not the suspect. Maybe it was one of those dangerous caregivers????

Disclaimer: Almost joking, tongue in cheek, dry humor, not serious, not funny either. It is sad.

CWillie,
Of course it is your business to comment. How is the world going to find a solution to the fear and hate if others don't weigh in? Here in the U.S.A., comments from our Canadian neighbors are welcome, especially from civilized persons. Everyone is afraid, imo.
(3)

I have no business commenting on American gun laws but I was blown away by how many people on this forum have mentioned they have guns, it's inconceivable to me why a bunch of middle aged women living in ordinary neighbourhoods should be armed. IMO it isn't any wonder that there are so many tragic stories of your cops shooting innocent civilians, they must go out on every call scared out of their friggin minds.
(6)

I am not anti-gun BUT

my mentally ill BIL is planning to buy an AR-15. He’s officially diagnosed and on medication. Of all the things this state is is doing to address gun violence, they still haven’t done anything in regards to mental illness & guns. I just.....I thought it was bad enough my own mentally ill brother and cognitively declines father having guns. But now my BIL too? Wtf man. This scares me.
(3)

I think you're right, Captain. Though possibly "pushmowing on a 35 degree incline - at your age!" related?

If it's any comfort (not at all sure about this) if they're going to snap I don't think you get any warning signals to speak of. So aching is good? Maybe? Hope it eases up, anyway.

My whine moment is the headache I have trying to educate my satnav.

Pick the quickest route! - here you go, as long as you drive at 60mph on single track roads between high hedges while the potato harvest is going on and there are tractors round every corner.

Okay, let's try the shortest route. Found it! - you don't mind unsurfaced tracks through farmyards, do you?

How do I make it pick the most *sensible* route?
(2)

aggh,
got some achilles tendonitis going on . google has the audacity to suggest its ' old age ' related .
i think its pushmowing on a 35 degree incline related .
regardless im off to work with the ' freedom challenged ' again today .
SSD ( Decade ) . :)>
(0)

GA,

Thanks for the info on the show. Will see what I can find out. Sounds like a wonderful show to watch.

I am not sure which wood grandpa used but anything he built was top notch. He built toys for me with the scrap wood. My favorite was the pair of stilts that I had so much fun with. I was a tiny kid and I felt so tall walking on those! He was larger than life to me. He taught me a lot of ‘life lessons.’

The seminarians are Benedictine. I am like you I love the Franciscan order as well. Have you visited any of the missions in California? I went to one in Carmel with an interesting history. Lovely serene place as well.

The seminary near me also occasionally does spiritual retreats. I know others who have participated and really enjoyed it. They have meaningful topics that they select. I would like to attend one. Time away in a peaceful setting can be healing.

They just added a library on the premises that is open to the public.

I walk the grounds sometimes. They have a large parcel of land. Way in the rear of the property is an old cemetery. The monks, priests and brothers are buried there.

You know, I thought about a thread like you suggested too. Yeah, good idea. Art is therapeutic. God knows caregivers and former caregivers like myself and others that are hanging around need something that grounds us. Would be fun to see what pastimes, planned projects that people are occupied with.

I love the ‘What’s for dinner?’ thread. Cooking is a creative outlet too.
(0)

NeedHelp, I was skimming this thread and saw your post about the hotel that collapsed in NO.    I'm certainly not an engineer but I'm thinking the subsurface  and water tables might have been a causal factor.    It's no secret that there are stability issues in that area.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, I loved your post!  It's so refreshing to read of people reaching to the community.   I'm wondering if this seminary is Franciscan?    I'd love to have one like that in my area and offer people the option for REAL crafts project instead of mass produced junk from China.

It also is a lovely building (from the street; I've never been in it), set in a beautiful, serene setting.   I believe it was sold to some commercial outfit several years ago, but I don't recall for sure.

It must be a real mental relief to visit a beautiful building like that seminary.    Years ago when I joined the Jane Austen club, we had occasional meetings at a similarly lovely seminary.   The architecture, furnishings and craftsmanship were so inspiring.   One of the rooms had a lot of Pewabic tiles.   It was sooo beautiful.  I felt as if I had been transported to somewhere in Europe.

As to The Craftsman's Legacy:  http://www.craftsmanslegacy.com/

Here it's on 3x daily on Tues and Thurs.   You can check "local listings" on the home page, right hand side.   Hopefully you can get it in your area.   If not, there are some videos of the shows:

Here's a video of the program on making Windsor chairs:
http://www.craftsmanslegacy.com/legacy_society/workshop_notes/Windsor-Chair-Texture

Here's one of my favorites:   a boat (kayak) maker:
http://www.craftsmanslegacy.com/episodes/season_1/Episode-12

Put on a pot of coffee, wrap up in a warm quilt or throw, and settle down to be entertained.

BTW, I'd like to learn more about your grandfather's shipbuilding career, and the building of wooden ships.   That's an art - selecting the right woods, preparing them, bending them...

I found a place I want to visit in a neighboring county:  Motawi Tiles.  I saw their display at a home and garden show and fell in love with the tiles.   Some are in Art Nouveau designs, my favorite art style.  I nearly became apoplectic when I saw those files.   Fortunately, I was broke, but I did leave with a lot of dreams.

https://www.artsandcraftsman.com/Motawi_new_2015.html

Maybe we should start an Arts and Crafts thread???   We could copy our posts to it.  
(1)

GA,

When does that come on? I definitely want to watch. Haven’t seen it. I love to see the creations of others. I will do a search to look it up. If our local PBS channel doesn’t have it I wonder if I can view online.

My grandfather could build anything.

He worked in the shipyards building the large wooden ships. He had to wake up early in the morning to go to work because he had a long commute.

In his off time he was always building smaller fishing boats for individuals.

Speaking of carpentry. North of the city there is a beautiful seminary. The monks started doing different things to earn money.

One program is baking bread that they sell. They raise chickens to get the eggs to sell and so forth. They grow berries to make preserves. The money goes to the needy in the community.

They also started building caskets and wooden boxes for ashes if a person is cremated. They are very talented and do quality work.

I was shocked when the funeral homes became very disturbed about the monks building caskets and said they were taking business away from them and went as far as to sue them.

The judge ruled in favor of the monks, praised them for doing quality work and earning money for their needs. The judge is correct. They do take a collection in mass but that doesn’t meet all of their needs. I too praise them. They aren’t just asking for a hand out.

I go to mass there when I feel like going for a drive out of the city. The grounds are just beautiful, the church is lovely, extraordinary stained glass windows, an artist was commissioned to do incredible murals, it is just gorgeous. Very peaceful.

They have a bookstore/gift shop on the grounds that serves coffee after mass. I will buy gifts on occasion.

They sell handmade soy candles that are lovely. Beautiful crafted wood objects and several other items. There is something special about handmade items that aren’t mass produced.

They have CDs with music recorded from the choir. Their choir is phenomenal. The pianist and organist are accomplished musicians.

Occasionally they have guests speakers or musicians for different fundraisers. A local artist gives painting lessons on the grounds. Gorgeous creeks that are on the property. That area has a river near the property.
(2)

NeedHelpWithMom, have you ever watched The Craftsman's Legacy?  It's carried on one of the PBS channels, and addresses those people who like your father are true craftspeople, true artisans working with their hands.   

Thus far I've seen episodes featuring a canoe builder, basket weaver, metallurgist, saddle and hat makers, Windsor chair builder, weaver, quilter, and more that I can't remember.  Oh, yes, chocolate makers!  How could I forget chocolate?
(2)

Captain,

My grandfather was a shipbuilder. I know there is a difference between building a ship and the construction of a hotel.

He was a true craftsman though. He could build anything. I agree with you. Indeed qualified individuals make all the difference.
(1)

these engineers .
im working on a 150 foot long shop building and the engineers couldnt seem to make it work ' block ' .
my math is so poor i get a different answer every time i count my balls but i've never had a problem making something fall on either 8 or 16 inches. its , kinda , denoted right there on the tape measure .
(1)

when indiana was busting unions , union wages , and sht canning prevailing wage laws in our state a few years ago , i remember a big construction company ( wilhelm ) appealing to the state representatives . their message was ; we dont necessarily want 9 dollar an hour kids on our dangerous jobs .
of course they were ignored .
when youre paying 30 bucks an hour you can demand high standards .
(3)

Okay, wheels are turning in my head about the tragedy in our city right now. Hard Rock Hotel site is live on television right now. It’s just so sad.

The hotel was under construction and unfortunately collapsed. Sadly, deaths have occurred and one construction worker is missing. Search and rescue are desperately trying to find him. It’s dangerous because they don’t want to risk another collapse.

How do these buildings collapse? Engineering issues? Builders issue? They had a question about the concrete. Just a mystery at the moment.

Right now the engineers are working on a plan to secure the building? The construction company could not be reached for comments. Man, what a tragedy.
(1)

the town near me has to drill new wells . they will be charging about 150 a month for water and sewage soon . people are drinking toxic sludge and being robbed to do so . -- well , the dumb ones are . out here in the hills we have a tendacy to think for ourselves .
(1)

1 2 3 4 5

Start a Discussion

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter