Follow

I'm tired of cooking/preparing 3 meals a day. It's just the two of us but boy oh boy can that woman eat!! She stays slimish, I get fattish. It's bad enough I do everything here much less start making her one thing and me the other. At times I feel guilty when I buy her fast food cuz of the nutritional value....not to mention I eat it too.

1 2 3 4 5
Oh goodness Golden!

I'm relieved to hear you haven't suffered an overwhelming urge to run up trees or, er, "wash your bottom."
(1)

I ate catnip the other day in the semi dark of the kitchen thinking it was chia seeds. Dumped a spoonful in a glass of water, stirred and drank. Different texture all together as I discovered on the first swallow. So I turned on the light and saw my error. Oops!!! Had a headache the next day but no other ill effects, No beneficial effects either, I don't advise it.
(4)

Thanks Need. Mom did pray for him.
(1)

Bridger,

You know what I think? Your mom’s prayers from heaven has caused the change of heart with your brother.

I truly believe she knows what is going on and is pleased. Your mom is in a place that is filled with love. She has no hard feelings about your brother.
(1)

It’s been an interesting day. My dad is so happy that my brother is here and going to stay a day or two. He told me earlier that he couldn’t believe how much pain he had caused our parents. I told him That dad and I were both forgiving people and just happy he was with us.

I told him I had no idea about mom. She never said much about him. I think she gave up years ago. She got frustrated with dad and I because we kept trying to get in touch with him.
(4)

Bridger,

I don’t know your father but I admire him because of your lovely description of him.

Your father deserves to have his dreams fulfilled and I am certainly glad that he has had a positive reconnection.

Your niece sounds sweet. I’m sure that your dad will profoundly effect his granddaughter’s life.

Your father knows what is truly important in life. People who care about others are great leaders. Your father is an inspiration to others.

Your dad doesn’t have a big ego. He is passing the torch into capable hands. He obviously feels that his granddaughter is worth investing in. I’m sure that she is.

Your dad is a sweetheart! I think that your brother will start to appreciate him. Better late than never, right?

Extremely happy for all of you!

Oh, Bridger

I think it’s awesome that you support your father and his wishes and are welcoming to your estranged brother.

It’s wonderful to see a family without vengeance in their hearts from past hurt.

Can’t say that I am surprised that you are forgiving. Obviously you had a wonderful teacher, your dad.

Setting examples are the best way to teach. Your dad did that very well.

Take care..
(3)

"Bridger46164,"

I'm really happy for all of you - maybe the Prodigal son has come home!
It brings tears to my eyes - but, this time good ones!
(2)

Thanks everyone. I always second guess myself with regards to my brother and dad. I’m so happy my brother showed up.

He’s been a big help today. He and my dad seem to have gotten along great. And my brother is going to spend the night at our house. It’s the house we grew up in. My brother was amazed that his room had not been changed much since he left 52 years ago. Mom never wanted to get rid of his stuff. We’ve painted and replaced draperies. But his pictures and quilts our grandma made him are still there.

Funniest was he came downstairs with a pair of his jeans from high school on. They still fit. Wish I could still zip my jeans from high school up. Of course he hasn’t had two babies.
(4)

What great news, Bridger!
(2)

"Bridger46164,"

I've still been thinking about your dad and praying for the family after your mom passed away and was so glad when he came to stay with all of you now because I can see it has helped him tremendously with the grieving process.

I have been reading everything that has transpired with your brother and his daughter (from the sidelines) and felt terrible and so sad at how the first visit went (after all the years he's been out of the picture) especially for your dad who's already hurting enough.

I'm so happy that your brother is there today spending time with your dad in the backyard and helping you make apple butter. That was a treat when I was growing up. Hearing your dad laugh must be music to your ears. You've been so good at how you've handled the whole situation - doing it all for your dad's sake!

In this moment, it seems like a family again. I know it will take a lot more than that but, it has to start somewhere.

I hope you all have a great day continuing to get reacquainted with one another!
(3)

Bridge, I am so happy your brother showed up. How nice!!! I am so so happy for your dad. This made my day!! If I could hit the like button ten times I would.
(5)

My brother showed up about 15 minutes ago - said he wanted to help make apple butter (which he loves). I told him to start stirring my arms we’re getting tired. So he and my dad are out in the yard talking. I’ve heard Dad laugh a couple of times.
(9)

Oh Bridger, you should have made them come for the check. It really was the least she could do to show her appreciation for grandpa paying her school bill.

I hope that they have enough class to show up and show some gratitude for what he did.
(2)

Bridge,
Sorry to hear about your brother canceling the visit. Feel bad for your dad and hope he visits him real soon. You are such a good daughter and so caring toward your dad. I am happy he has you in his life.
(2)

Need, Thank you. He’s a kind, sweet man who will do anything for his children or grandchildren. He’s helped many local kids with college expenses. My brother sounded disappointed too. But I’m sure with the amount of COVID in their city she’s having to work a lot of overtime.
(2)

So sorry, Bridger

Maybe they will reschedule for another time. I hate seeing your dad disappointed. He has a huge heart.
(2)

My brother called and cancelled dinner for This evening. He said my niece has to work. I mailed her check made out to the school. I hope they’ll come another time. My dad’s very disappointed.
(2)

C Willie and any others who think this wrong,

I will do whatever I can to have my Dad happy in his last days. If paying my niece’s tuition bill is the price for my dad to see his only son and granddaughter , that’s what I will pay. If you disapprove, that’s your privilege.
(3)

Am I the only one who sees this as propagating/reinforcing family dysfunction into the next generation?
(2)

Bridge, good idea to ask to see the school tuition bill. You want to pay the school directly instead of giving her the money. I hope your dad will ask brother to go visit mom's gravesite. That's the least he can do to "earn" the tuition money. Go visit mom first then you can get paid.
(1)

Getting ready for brother/niece visit 2.0. I hope it goes better than last time. I’m actually bribing them. I told him to bring her tuition bill and I would write a check to the school, if he would go along if my dad asked to go to my mom’s grave with him and to simply show some interest in dad. I hope it works.
(3)

I remember those eyeglass chains that "mature women" use to wear to keep their reader glasses close by. When I was looking for lanyards, I remember seeing those.

Found some, go on Etsy and type in "lanyard eyeglass holder".
(3)

I always drop my glasses too. I don’t think that I could do contact lenses though because of my allergies.
(1)

FrequentFlyer, those are so awesome. Thank you for sharing.

I need something to keep my glasses from coming off with my mask. I have to use the ones that go around my head and oops, there goes another scratch. Have you seen anything cool like myfacemaskholder.com for keeping glasses off the ground?
(1)

I got an email notice that I had a past due payment on a credit card, a card I very rarely use. I go to look and see that Microsoft has billed me for a subscription, seems like it was something that I purchased over a year ago, I had a pre-paid gift card for one year and then somehow it was set up to renew.

Big PITA, past due fees added on and everything.

I've tried to reach Microsoft to cancel the subscription. It says under my account that they CAN'T cancel it, it's been paid through October 8, 2021. lol I'm disputing the charges, and tried to contact a real live person today to help me, waited for 30 minutes with a blinking chat screen ("An agent will be with you shortly...") before I gave up and decided I'll wait to see what happens with the dispute.

And the cherry on this poop cake is that I looked up a phone number for Microsoft, and got one. I double checked it to make sure it wasn't a scammer pretending to be Microsoft because I had that experience before, where you search for tech support and it's all scammer numbers. And it was a scam number. I didn't call it but it makes me mad that this massively profitable corporation can't even have a way to call in and deal with an issue, it's all through chat applications, and...

I'm just annoyed with it. And I feel for all the people who will call that 800 number that comes up when you Google "Microsoft customer service."
(5)

I am doing better but... Now my husband has problems with his job... Some of his colleagues and himself received a discipline letter for standing up for a foreign colleague whose Italian is not so good.
The letter was sent even to people who were not there! My husband didn't speak but was accused of being arrogant.
(1)

Time to stock up in grocery store items. I grocery shop on-line and pick up curb-side, been doing that over 5 years now.

I am now seeing the grocery store website is starting to be out of food items that I like... bummer. Store still has a lot of toilet paper and paper towels. I haven't been able to buy Lysol spray since last year, so not surprised there. Stores well stocked with Lysol wipes and other brands that make such wipes.

I got plenty of masks, surgery type and home made cotton masks. I found a lady who makes the langyards to hold your mask around your neck so you don't drop them when taking them off when in a parking lot or in your car. My sig-other loves his. MyFaceMaskHolder.com I bought some for the family, best thing since sliced bread :)

Family, which includes two teenagers, wants to visit for Thanksgiving.... No, Nada, Are your Crazy?.... if they insist, they can wave at us from the end of the driveway.
(4)

Pamz, I've thought about GBS before, but didn't know it was associated with flu shots, that's scary!

When I was caregiving, it was around the middle of 2012 and my muscles started getting really tight. I don't remember much from that year, and I missed Christmas for first time ever. I stayed in bed for months and I was having trouble walking and talking. And then all through 2013 was a very difficult year, and I didn't do much.

I'm not familiar with what GBS looks like in the body/brain. I used to say I thought I had some kind of nervous breakdown but I've wondered if it was GBS.

That's thankfully all in the past, but it seems I can get really severe and lingering reactions to things like EBV and mold. I really don't want to get any other virus, nothing else, ever!! lol I'm going to wrap myself in layers of bubble wrap, a moon walk suit. lol

But yeah, sigh, this winter is going to be interesting with the normal seasonal colds and allergies mixing in with covid cases. :-/

I had my flu shot already this year. I've never had a bad reaction to it, thankfully, but I know people who say it's made them ill.
(2)

Ali I do know that allergy symptoms can mimic COVID,, we have to do a check in every day we work,, and they are concerned that some with COVID may be coming to work thinking they have allergies,, or staying home thinking they have COVID,, its a mess! I have allergies, but as long as I don;t have a fever I convince myself that I am OK.. LOL I am part of a study for antibodies.., so far all is good. As for EBV, I work in a Neuro ICU, and deal with those pts. Take care of yourself. GBS is another thing we see alot of during flue shot season., I don;t care what they say it is real. I hate to have a flu shot, but it is mandatory at the hospital. I have never had the flu, sure don;t want to! But I make sure my Mom has her shot every year.
(3)

Ali,

You are smart to get tested! You are caring about others for not wanting to spread it. I applaud you.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter