Follow

I'm tired of cooking/preparing 3 meals a day. It's just the two of us but boy oh boy can that woman eat!! She stays slimish, I get fattish. It's bad enough I do everything here much less start making her one thing and me the other. At times I feel guilty when I buy her fast food cuz of the nutritional value....not to mention I eat it too.

1 2 3 4 5
My washing machine, about 7 years old now is so terribly confused. It goes off balance easily when I am doing blankets and such. So when it started it's dance tonight, I set it to drain and spin after redistribution. Something must be wrong with the mother board. It refilled, drained, then started dancing again. I am not going to move it with me, nor do I want to buy a new one.

I unplugged it to reset it, we will see. This is a top load machine. I hate front load machines, they do not drain completely (start to stink) and stooping down to load and transfer to washer is too hard on my back!
(4)

Mom: (shuffling back and forth through the house, hunched over, her head only about a foot above the floor, stopping every few shuffles).

Me: Watcha doing?

Mom: (licks her finger and presses it to the floor)

Me: Mom, what're doing?

Mom: (shuffles an inch or two, then licks her finger again and presses it to the floor).

Me: Mom?

Mom: Would you let me finish?

Me: Finish what?

Mom: Mopping up the floor.

Me: 😶
(4)

Success treating hypertension in Dh after only one week.
He started his meds, has an immediate response.

Rewarded with a Smart Watch that monitors even his b/p, sends alerts.

Relieved.

Dr. Internet and I are tracking his symptoms-all seem to point to his thyroid.

We got some Heritage eggs, light blue/green, with a deep yellow yolk. Mixed in a dozen of dark brown eggs.
(1)

Glad,

Jimmy Fallon is doing jokes on The Tonight Show about the price of eggs. LOL 😆
(2)

OMG the wind! Blowing snow and coating the sidewalk and driveway with thin ice.I

Lots of people out here buying chickens to produce their own eggs.

CW, I absolutely detest crowded shopping experiences! When I go i.leave by 8am at the latest to avoid crowds. The drawback? Sometimes the shelves are not completely stocked yet.
(4)

I actually bought a smart scale about a year ago. It tracks weight, %fat, bone mass, etc. It helps to motivate me to move. But discouraging to walk 9,000 steps a day, about four miles and not lose weight. But it does help motivate me. I am starting to wonder if I have low thyroid. I am past due for the doc.
(2)

The doctor gave me a scale today that tells on me *sigh*
it sends my weight to the office
(5)

It’s only a ‘sale’ if we are actually going to use or consume the product. I agree with the huge sizes of Costco or Sam’s items being too large for a single person or a couple of people. It’s good for a large family but not for one or two people. Items get thrown away and wasted.
(3)

I'm sure the higher cost of diesel fuel has played in to increased food costs too. But what doesn't seem to make sense is that so many of the sale items advertised are from overseas - this week I'm seeing oranges from Spain and grapefruit from Turkey at less than half the usual cost,???
(1)

cwillie, same here with Costco/Price Club. They didn't carry the products that we prefer to use, and none of the cat food/litter that our cats preferred to use. Plus I didn't need a gallon of mayo, or a tub of M&M's. We did like their book sales, and promotional food hand-outs :)

Prices are also high everywhere because minimum wage went up. And that causes the domino affect as every step up the company had to increase those wages. Who pays for this, the consumer with higher prices for goods and services.

I had to work 20 years to reach the minimum wage that young people are now getting today. But I am sure my Dad said the same about my beginning salary back in the 1960's :)
(4)

Sis had a Costco membership when the kids were young and as a savvy shopper who watched the specials I never saw much savings, if anything the giant size of many items (spices for example) means more waste. And when I've been there more recently the whole shopping experience was always awful - the crowds, the lineups, and OMG the parking lot🤯
(2)

The closest Costco to me is 70 or more miles away. Only sometimes do I wish I was closer.
(0)

Costco is holding the price on their rotisserie chicken at $6.21 (online delivery).
It is called a loss leader, and is very good. Much better than at the markets.
(3)

Glad,

I do the same. I freeze lots of things.
(2)

Yea I get a number of meals as well. I shread it and put what I won't eat in two days in baggies to freeze.
(3)

Glad,

We are paying more and more for groceries. I am glad that we aren’t big eaters!

I usually roast my own chicken but sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken. At least we can get several different meals from one chicken.
(4)

And I bought a rotisserie chicken over the weekend. I used to pay $6.25 I think. Today's rotisserie chickens are $11.50!

Someone is making out like bandits!
(4)

I'm skeptical too about the affects of avian flu since most factory farms only keep their hens for a year anyway. There seems to be an obscene amount of profit taking in all facets of the economy.
(3)

FF, yes I have seen the stories on the effects of the bird flu.

Some think it is highly exaggerated.

And I guess that.my spell check or the site do not like the word collusion I changed it twice from spell check changing it to collision. But, it was changed back, somehow. Maybe admin?
(1)

gladimhere, right now the prices of eggs are up due to supply and demand from to the bird flu. Around 47 million chickens took ill and had to be taken down. Thus, lower egg production at this point in time.
(2)

There is an investigation into with such high egg prices. There is strong suspicion that it is being caused by large scale collision among egg producers. It drives me nuts how people will take advantage of others financially! There is a woman here that sells chicken eggs at $6.00/dozen. That is just a bit less than the grocery store. Get it while you can, I guess.😡😡

Can everyone see my angry face emoji? Some emojis that some of you post my Kindle Fire device cannot read.
(4)

Get well Golden.
(2)

golden: Feel better. Take good care.💙
(2)

Hope you feel better soon, Golden.
(5)

Golden, so sorry you are not feeling well. Drink lots of hot things and feel better soonl
(5)

A bit of flu, think. About a week or so ago I went grocery shopping and in the store was suddenly surrounded by parents with small children. Usually the store is pretty empty at the times I shop so this was a surprise. I wondered if i would catch something and pondered again about the wisdom of wearing a mask while shopping and forgot about it. Ok Now I am paying for it with a sore throat, cough and all that stuff. Not the worst I've had but so much for my plans for this week end. Cough, snuffle, sneeze...😷

barb - let us know how you are.

natasana - what a tricky person you are!!!
(7)

Mom: I'm cold.

Mom's bath aide: Let's go get a nice warm shower to warm you up.

Mom: I'm about to freeze to death! (Mom points to me) SHE keeps this house freezing, then turns the heat up just before you get here so you won't know.

Me: 😶
(9)

There was a recent discussion on the forum about things that surprised or annoyed you about getting older and finding it harder to complete simple, every day tasks that were once as easy as breathing is definitely part of it. While losing a little of your give a d@mn can be part of it too I imagine the lack of patience and flare of anger is more apt to be a symptom of underlying stress.
(7)

Things change over years, from youth, to middle age, to older age. One thing I've noticed and I don't know if a lot of it has to do with my caregiving circumstances. 

I've found myself change in this respect, as the years have gone by and getting older. I've found myself getting annoyed or irritated quicker than when I was younger, is this normal?

It's silly stuff like:

* things not fitting into the box they came out of.
* getting labels off things, wondering why manufacturers don't make it easy to peel off.
* I put on thing down on a table, it falls and the domino effect knocks the glass of water down, make the remote control fall, then a clean up operation. I suppose that's just being clumsy :)
* recent years is the juggle of face masks, with my spectacles getting caught in the strings. Obviously the glasses getting steamed up while wearing a mask is a given. 
* Even taking off pants and them getting bunched up and caught on the feet.
* taking a bunch of keys out of you pocket and find the sharp end of key ring getting caught in the pocket lining. 
* not being able to find the open end of plastic freezer bags.. then my hands are too dry to pulls sides apart. 

When these things irritate me, I get annoyed at the manufacturers of products, thinking why can't just make things to be less annoying, design them better. Like a remote control that's curve on the bottom side, so when you change the channel, pressing the button just make it slide on the table, it it was flat on the bottom it wouldn't slide.

I bet half of things are more annoying because of other bigger problems people have going on in their minds.
(4)

Hothouse,

That’s tough to deal with. I am so sorry. You are entitled to whine.

Falls are horrifying. I remember the stress of going through my mother falling.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter