Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
2 3 4 5 6
As for worrying about a data breach - I'm not. The only thing this site knows about me is my IP address and my junk email account, if someone wanted to they could probably figure out where I live but that doesn't really worry me very much🤷🏻‍♀️
(3)

But I'm still confused - the Profile page is not the same thing as the News Feed or the drop down menu.

I think I already mentioned somewhere that I at one time was unable to post after the spam bot targeted me for something I tried to say, that is usually an easy fix for the Admins.
(3)

Bandy,

I suppose that I am like cw. I rarely go to my profile page.

I don’t use my profile page to get my news feed. I click on the avatar and then hit news feed.
(1)

I don’t use any of that stuff - Profile, news feed, etc.
(0)

Sorry, Cwillie. I confused profile "activity" with news feed.
I don't think news feed is affected for anyone.
(1)

Cwillie, I am like you, unconcerned about the pesky gnat amateur messing with the site. Whomever, he/she isn't after anyone here. Likely a disgruntled employee, ex employee. We don't really give much information when we sign on to AgingCare to anyone; it is unlikely we could be in any way bothered.
I agree that the problem with the posting thing that Bandy and I and another have/are suffering from is likely from what an admin told me is a "ticket" that goes out, that sort of bot you spoke of, which, when we are "reported" may not alllow posting until the report is checked.
But who knows.
(1)

My concern is that the hacker changed the posts of some posters.

That is the exposure I am concerned about--that someone gets into my account and posts something I didn't say.

The other message board I participate in--Bogleheads.org--is entirely volunteer run and has none of these problems. It also communicates clearly when updates and shutdowns are happening.

Agingcare.com's responses to these and previous tech issues does not inspire confidence.
(5)

Barb,

I hear you. Great points.
(2)

Gals, the poster can only change posts that they themselves created. Not other posts. If you think of it if they COULD do that they already would have done. And just what info did you give this page that you are worried about? Only an email undoubtedly. Not your SS # or anything. And the whole world, if you google at all has your email and address if you use a real name anywhere. I am personally not worried. If others are worried I guess they have to make their own decision about whether to stay on Forum. I would be concerned about a lot of things online, such as accounts and etc. But I sure am not worried about this page. If I were I would be gone in two seconds.
Again, Stacy. If you do not like this site, and if you do not wish to stay, no one is holding you here. Don't try to recruit others to either your thinking or your exit, or if you DO try to recruit them, don't expect them to follow you.
You complained first that they would remove your phone number you posted. Then they DID NOT remove it and now you are complaining about THAT.
Why not go to the high road above discussions and answer our OPs, or are they all fake as well? If so, I can only say I enjoy them.

Something now going better with the fixes on the page. I was able for the first time in a long time to sign in without having to log in.
(1)

Alva,

I am cautious of everything because of having my email hacked and that a loan was taken out in my name. I have no idea how it happened or who did it.

Hackers are extremely common and everyone is susceptible. I am not accusing this site. Still, it never hurts to be on alert these days.
(1)

Whoops. Spoke too soon. I still DO have to log in each time if I want to check activity, etc, or make a comment. Alas.

Conspiracy theories aside, I just don't get why anyone would stay here if they either hate or fear this page. I just don't. Join me on Facebook and I will send you pretty pictures of the kimonos I sew, the garden, cats, photography, dogs, art, the occ. recipe, what have you. Only kidding; I don't WANT more FB friends. But best page there? Ravenous Butterflies! Crow Tarot!
(2)

Stacy - I've thought for a long time that the forum has become little more than a side hustle for APFM, it's not much beyond an elaborate advertisement that is staffed by the public. There have been almost no additions to the articles or care topics in years (slapping a new date on a 10 year old article doesn't count🙄), the only newer content I've noticed recently is a very little bit of mostly unhelpful covid related stuff. That said I'm also not seeing any other forum that is better.

I get that having someone put words in your mouth would be hurtful and disconcerting but I still can't think of it as being a security issue.
(3)

I recommend against LinkedIn. Full of scams and people pretending to be who and what they are NOT. My own experience. Handle on the Law had a bit to say about it as well.
(1)

Well, hopefully everything will be straightened out on the site for those who are having trouble.

I haven’t ever looked into any other caregiver sites online. I found this site through my mom’s social worker.

My favorite support group was the ‘in person’ group that I attended. It was nice to speak face to face with people.

We only met once a month though. It was led by a licensed social worker who was terrific.

She was overseeing her mom’s care so she understood how everyone felt.

She led the group very well and no one spoke out of turn or insulted anyone. It was refreshing to see how respectful everyone was of each other.

AgingCare is nice for people who don’t ever leave their homes.

I was fortunate to have a husband look after my mother for me to attend the monthly meetings which only lasted an hour or so.
(1)

I wonder why the mysterious Zippy hasn't chimed in since they are apparently one of two people who had their posts changed.
(2)

Stacy, once again, I have utterly no idea what you are talking about.
And no idea why you shouldn't post here any number of anyone you care to post. What I said when you told me that the number would disappear is that likely it WOULD disappear, because they would likely not want to field a mess of phone calls. However, it did NOT disappear (much to my surprise). Because were it in MY hands you would have been gone with your number in a second.
As to my instigating this drama? Nonsense to add to your conspiracy theories. It has always been clear who loves trauma-drama on this page.
As to your name calling? Childish.
Again, if you are here to make trouble, I hope you leave AC.
If you are here to support our OPs, and to enjoy the site, I hope you stay.
And again, the admins (or WHOMEVER is in charge), will be the final arbiters of all this. I am happy with whatever their decision is in the matter. I am thrilled to leave it in their hands (or their little algorythms.)
I won't be returning to this thread. You are welcome to take this nonsense to private messaging if you life. If you keep it here it is simply more evidence of who you are and of what you do.
(0)

Gershun and Zippy, Sorry, didn't know our hacker changed your posts on other threads as well. Seems more of a threat if that is the case.
Other than Lea's thread I am moving off discussions; never was my thing. See y'all up top.
(0)

It’s interesting that posts were changed. I don’t know if I would even notice if a post was changed. Were they drastically changed or just subtle changes?
(1)

Bandy,

Okay, I will read your post. I probably didn’t read every post on this topic. Thanks for informing me about this.
(1)

No Alva, nobody changed my posts. Bandy said that she and Zippy had their posts changed.
(2)

I think this thread should be shut down. It has just become an argument on what should be done and that does nothing to solve the situation. I am sick of it!
(4)

Glad,

The thread probably will be shut down soon.
(3)

Success! I can finally access my Profile page today!

Bandy7, I was never having problems with News Feed or Activity.

Thanks, Admins!
(5)

Geaton,

Yay! 😊
(3)

Spoke too soon... yes, it is down again.

Also, I can't get into BarbB's.

What the hay.
(4)

I agree with Glad.
(3)

Geaton777, as of 8pm EST, your profile is alive and well :)
(2)

FF, as of 8am (CST) it is still accessible.

We'll see how long it lasts today. My husband tells me that I'm a cynical, skeptical and suspicious NJ Italian so... I have a reputation to maintain ;-)
(4)

Hi all,

We have disabled the ability for forum members to alter or edit other members’ posts.

While there is no evidence that this was occurring beyond this instance, when this potential vulnerability was brought to our attention, we immediately remedied it. 

We also have no indication that user profile data was viewed or made accessible.

Please use the form at the bottom of the About Us page (https://www.agingcare.com/aboutus) to contact us with any further questions.
(4)

Also noting here that work on the original profile page issue is still in progress. Thanks again for your patience!
(5)

2 3 4 5 6
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter