Follow

"Hidden Talents of a Caregiver"

by JuliaRose

I might introduce myself as a college professor of world religions.

But, I am also a wife and full-time caregiver to my husband, whose health is deteriorating.

“Caregiver.” How much is contained in that one word!

You wouldn't know, unless you asked, the skills I have learned these last six years.

Shall I tell you of my secrets, my hidden talents?

I am a nutritionist, dietitian, endocrinologist, and part magician as I negotiate a reduced salt, low sugar, low potassium, low phosphorus, and high protein diet and sometimes manage to produce edible food.

I am a speech therapist, testing consistencies of food and drink and watching for running noses and coughs during swallowing.

I am a cleaner of messes, big and small.

I am the eyes and ears for those that have dimmed or faded.

I am a ray of sunshine in the midst of gloom.

I am an emergency responder and first aid giver when help is needed urgently.

I am a physical therapist, lifting legs and arms and bending them to stretch the muscles and supply nutrients to the underused joints.

I am a dialysis nurse, watching the lab work, blood pressures, fluid gains, and the thick needles that are life-preserving, but not life-giving.

I am Mom, especially at night when I hold him close to calm and protect from the terrors.

I am a chauffeur of our wheelchair-accessible van that brings some freedom to a yearning heart.

I am a wound expert with my arsenal of skin products, always on the lookout for signs of pressure sores and cuts.

I am a podiatrist, having learned how to debride troublesome blisters to allow the skin to heal, preventing loss of toes or limbs (or worse).

I am a barber and shower assistant, taking pride in giving a clean shave and cleanliness, when possible.

I am a urologist, facilitating the flow of golden fluid.

Before 10 a.m., I am a zombie. So, no. We cannot make it to any morning appointments.

I am day shift and night shift, evenings and weekends, holidays, too. But, when I have respite, I spend most my time wishing I were home.

I am a social worker, actively seeking programs, assistance, and resources to make life easier.

I am a medication manager, understanding enough about each pill to be able to deliver or withhold, if needed.

I am an entertainer to fight away the boredom.

I am a source of love, comfort, and care in a harsh reality.

I have developed many skills, adapting to what's needed the next day.

When this time passes, what will I be then?

How will I reenter the world after knowing what the end is like?

My soul has cried during this painful journey,

even as I try to be grateful for the challenges.

At least I know that if I’m passionate enough, I can learn

new skills that I never dreamed of achieving.

- - -

Can you relate? Do you have a poem to share?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thank you so much!
(0)

True and wonderful, truly wonderful. It is a painful journey we caregivers take but every day I get is a bonus. Bless you
(0)

As a writer myself, I can really appreciate a great wordsmith such as yourself. Kudos!
(2)

Thank you very well written! I can relate to most what you have written!
Bless you!
DL
(2)

JuliaRose,
That was beautiful!
I'm not a poet, but this came to mind. More of an ode I think.

I was not there for your sunrise.

I grew up in the brilliant rays of your mid day sun.

Now I am watching your sunset.
Yet I can still feel the warmth.

I dread your night.

For my Aunt!
(6)

Beautiful!!!
(2)

This is amazing. Thank you for sharing.
(1)

thank you.
(0)

Your crown in heaven will so bejeweled! God bless you for all you do. I see myself in some of your poem as not all is applicable to my being FT caregiver to 100% disabled/incompetent veteran. I know I don't achieve the level of care that you give... and certainly don't feel like I'm giving it my 100%, much less the 150%+ you do. You have my admiration.
(2)

JuliaRose, that’s exactly how I feel. You Prut it eloquently. Hygs
(2)

I too thank you.

Only "problem" I see is that such beautiful words always make this big shot lawyer CRY!

Paul from Chicago
(4)

That’s incredible- thanks for sharing in a powerfully positive and inspirational way. Your compassion shines through beautifully?
(4)

I cared for my Husband for many years so...Been there...done that!.
Another reason the true "cost" of caring for someone is greatly underestimated.
(3)

You are a hero, and an essential worker. Stay strong! Take care of yourself, too!
(4)

You are their whole world and they are yours. Beautifully written poem. Prayers to you both.
(3)

Wow! I can relate, but i have no poem. Someday, I hope! You are an angel! Ivwas a caregiver to my dad, who, rest his soul, passed away Oct. 2018. I know alot of what ur going through, but not all of it. My dad was 82. He was VERY DIFFICULT to care for b4 he passed. But i do know, as difficult as it was, I missed taking care of him. Maybe it was just seeing him everyday. Now i see him EVERYWHERE! I feel for u!
(4)

Thank you! Not only for the beautiful poem, but for the loving care you are providing. I'll keep this in my journal. Sending you my prayer: For a peace that passeth understanding. Much love, Mary
(5)

Thank you. I can relate
(2)

Wonderfully written and it's so true. Thank you for sharing. ❤❤
(4)

Lovely expressions. Great idea for others to share. Thank you.
(4)

Thank you for words we all feel!💕
(3)

Thank you. You have spoken for all of us caregivers.
(6)

Beautifully said
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter