Follow

"Hidden Talents of a Caregiver"

by JuliaRose

I might introduce myself as a college professor of world religions.

But, I am also a wife and full-time caregiver to my husband, whose health is deteriorating.

“Caregiver.” How much is contained in that one word!

You wouldn't know, unless you asked, the skills I have learned these last six years.

Shall I tell you of my secrets, my hidden talents?

I am a nutritionist, dietitian, endocrinologist, and part magician as I negotiate a reduced salt, low sugar, low potassium, low phosphorus, and high protein diet and sometimes manage to produce edible food.

I am a speech therapist, testing consistencies of food and drink and watching for running noses and coughs during swallowing.

I am a cleaner of messes, big and small.

I am the eyes and ears for those that have dimmed or faded.

I am a ray of sunshine in the midst of gloom.

I am an emergency responder and first aid giver when help is needed urgently.

I am a physical therapist, lifting legs and arms and bending them to stretch the muscles and supply nutrients to the underused joints.

I am a dialysis nurse, watching the lab work, blood pressures, fluid gains, and the thick needles that are life-preserving, but not life-giving.

I am Mom, especially at night when I hold him close to calm and protect from the terrors.

I am a chauffeur of our wheelchair-accessible van that brings some freedom to a yearning heart.

I am a wound expert with my arsenal of skin products, always on the lookout for signs of pressure sores and cuts.

I am a podiatrist, having learned how to debride troublesome blisters to allow the skin to heal, preventing loss of toes or limbs (or worse).

I am a barber and shower assistant, taking pride in giving a clean shave and cleanliness, when possible.

I am a urologist, facilitating the flow of golden fluid.

Before 10 a.m., I am a zombie. So, no. We cannot make it to any morning appointments.

I am day shift and night shift, evenings and weekends, holidays, too. But, when I have respite, I spend most my time wishing I were home.

I am a social worker, actively seeking programs, assistance, and resources to make life easier.

I am a medication manager, understanding enough about each pill to be able to deliver or withhold, if needed.

I am an entertainer to fight away the boredom.

I am a source of love, comfort, and care in a harsh reality.

I have developed many skills, adapting to what's needed the next day.

When this time passes, what will I be then?

How will I reenter the world after knowing what the end is like?

My soul has cried during this painful journey,

even as I try to be grateful for the challenges.

At least I know that if I’m passionate enough, I can learn

new skills that I never dreamed of achieving.

- - -

Can you relate? Do you have a poem to share?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Beautifully said
(6)

Thank you. You have spoken for all of us caregivers.
(6)

Thank you for words we all feel!💕
(3)

Lovely expressions. Great idea for others to share. Thank you.
(4)

Wonderfully written and it's so true. Thank you for sharing. ❤❤
(4)

Thank you. I can relate
(2)

Thank you! Not only for the beautiful poem, but for the loving care you are providing. I'll keep this in my journal. Sending you my prayer: For a peace that passeth understanding. Much love, Mary
(5)

Wow! I can relate, but i have no poem. Someday, I hope! You are an angel! Ivwas a caregiver to my dad, who, rest his soul, passed away Oct. 2018. I know alot of what ur going through, but not all of it. My dad was 82. He was VERY DIFFICULT to care for b4 he passed. But i do know, as difficult as it was, I missed taking care of him. Maybe it was just seeing him everyday. Now i see him EVERYWHERE! I feel for u!
(4)

You are their whole world and they are yours. Beautifully written poem. Prayers to you both.
(3)

You are a hero, and an essential worker. Stay strong! Take care of yourself, too!
(4)

I cared for my Husband for many years so...Been there...done that!.
Another reason the true "cost" of caring for someone is greatly underestimated.
(3)

That’s incredible- thanks for sharing in a powerfully positive and inspirational way. Your compassion shines through beautifully?
(4)

I too thank you.

Only "problem" I see is that such beautiful words always make this big shot lawyer CRY!

Paul from Chicago
(4)

JuliaRose, that’s exactly how I feel. You Prut it eloquently. Hygs
(2)

Your crown in heaven will so bejeweled! God bless you for all you do. I see myself in some of your poem as not all is applicable to my being FT caregiver to 100% disabled/incompetent veteran. I know I don't achieve the level of care that you give... and certainly don't feel like I'm giving it my 100%, much less the 150%+ you do. You have my admiration.
(2)

thank you.
(0)

This is amazing. Thank you for sharing.
(1)

Beautiful!!!
(2)

JuliaRose,
That was beautiful!
I'm not a poet, but this came to mind. More of an ode I think.

I was not there for your sunrise.

I grew up in the brilliant rays of your mid day sun.

Now I am watching your sunset.
Yet I can still feel the warmth.

I dread your night.

For my Aunt!
(6)

Thank you very well written! I can relate to most what you have written!
Bless you!
DL
(2)

As a writer myself, I can really appreciate a great wordsmith such as yourself. Kudos!
(2)

True and wonderful, truly wonderful. It is a painful journey we caregivers take but every day I get is a bonus. Bless you
(0)

Thank you so much!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter