Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
I'm partial to BBC programs, and nature programs, especially those narrated by David Attenborough. PBS programs, especially Bare Feet, hosted by Mickela Mallozzi , who's a dancer traveling to various countries, highlighting their history, ethnicity, and of course dances. She makes it seem simple to learn Irish step dancing.

Last night I watched part of an all female version of Julius Caesar; it was hard to follow, but it was mind stimulating, especially considering the nature of dictators and relieving them of command.

There used to be more Shakespearean dramas and operas aired, but good quality drama and music have lessened, while trashy programs have proliferated.

Tonight will be Midsommer Murders, set in charming and often bucolic English areas, and often inside equally charming English homes. I can't always follow the action, but I'm just as interested in the culture as the story line. And of course I'm captivated by the lovely gardens and charming homes.

Tomorrow will be the horrific World on Fire, when Poland was overtaken by the Nazis. The plot line and character development might be a bit weak, but it's the impact of the invasion that's more important. Watching this reminds me how fortunate we are to be living in the US, UK, or Australia (as that's where more of our members and visitors seem to be), as well as the need to be on guard against tyranny, everywhere.

Masterpiece has some good European based series, sometimes very intense and emotional, but I like them b/c they remind me that life isn't easy, has been and could be worse. And the focus is so different from American movies.

Thinking this over....I can't even remember if I've posted on this before. If I have, please excuse my mental lapses!
(3)

Pam: OMGosh - we had a firestick but never did use it. Had too much other stuff to watch. Glad you like your's.
(1)

My DD got me a fire stick for Christmas, and I love it.. only have Amazon prime but still,, today she remembers she can give me her HULU and Netflix passwords on the plan,, win win as there is a movie I want to see on HULU!! I hardly get to watch it as its in my TV room and mom wants me in the rec room watching Gameshow network with her all day.. but I try! I know she doesn't like the shows I like.. so I am mostly stuck with her choices for now..
(2)

Yup, NHWM.
I had a fire at my home, geez five years ago now, and used it as an opportunity to downsize. I still have too much stuff that now I am wondering how to get rid of it. I needed a bigger fire.

The loss of things didn't bother me as much as I had not properly inventoried and taken pictures throughout the house. And insurance company would not show me pictures of after. But, especially asbestos abatement company and the fire mitigation company. Crooks the breakage and items that completely disappeared.

Actually dreamt of that crazy time in my life last night. Was traveling with deceased J to New York to live, needed plane tickets and what about all the stuff? Take it on the plane, no that wouldn't work. I have had more than my share of strange dreams lately.

So, I get it.
(1)

Glad,

Do you remember several years back when the tsunami hit Thailand? There was an old woman being interviewed on television after she lost everything. Something she said never left me. She said, “It’s amazing what little we need to live. I lost all of my belongings but I survived. I don’t need all of that stuff anymore.”

She was living in a hut until she got a new home. She was truly grateful for that hut. Kind of hits home, doesn’t it? You know, how much stuff isn’t necessary or how sad it is when things are wasted, right?

I think about when my childhood home was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I was devastated that nothing survived. Those are just things, only things. We got my mom and our family out of New Orleans to safety. Now that mattered, not belongings.

I find many people really don’t miss something like they thought they would if they do without it for awhile. Sometimes habits need changing.
(2)

I, too, have youtube TV. Also, Amazon prime. I left directv about two years ago and cut my $100.00 Bill to, also, $52.00.

I am in a rural area, had I been close enough I would have purchased a digital antenna as I really do not watch much other than major network tv. Tried to watch Marvelous Ms Maisel, couldn't take much of that. Haven't tried any series on streaming at this point, just don't care. Have streamed a few movies either from Amazon Prime or Roku.

Need to be careful about streaming service if in a rural area and you want to watch local news. I first tried Direct tv now, then Sling, then Hulu none had local news but from a metro area 150 miles away. Turns out that my internet service because it is not from a fixed location but bounces to find a tower with more capacity, or some such.

Can't say I miss directv and the bill at all.

I was a streaming dummy two years ago, had no clue. But, I learned a lot because of the problems I had. If you are in a major metro area you shouldn't have the same problems I did.
(2)

Thanks so much,TNtechie. You must be a high tech person. I appreciate all the information, it definitely took some time and is much appreciated. I am looking forward to a good classic movie tonight. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
(1)

"streaming" is watching a video feed over an internet connection. You can stream from a Amazon fire stick (my personal favorite) using the built in Amazon video services or you can easily download and install an app (like YouTubeTV) and use it's interface to select and watch video; in the case of YouTubeTV, either "live" stream from the various channels or a "on-demand" show usually from the shows or movies you selected to include in your virtual DVR or Library, as youtube calls it. Most apps available for Amazon's fire stick are also available for your smart phone. When you are watching a video on your smart phone, you are also technically "streaming".

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, Disney+ are all streaming services you can access for a monthly fee from $5.99 to 14.99, several of these allow you to add prime services or subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. You may notice I often refer to free trials on these services because if you tried to take them all at the same time you could spend more money than on cable. So I have a base of Amazon Prime and a Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ combo package while I take other services on a free or reduce price trial or maybe for 1-2 months at a time. Unlike cable companies, it's easy to subscribe and unsubscribe to service from your computer or phone. Amazon Video allows you to rent movies too - $2.99 to $5.99 for 48 hours or purchase movies from $5.99 up with most priced $9.99-19.99. It's a lot easier to dust the digital movies stored at Amazon and available for playing anywhere I have an internet connection than it is the DVD cases stacked on shelves in my living room; and I don't have to get on the kids case about bringing back borrowed DVDs either. Amazon also offers "channels" like Smithsonian, National Geographic, Noogin, etc for special tastes. With streaming you can keep it basic with only a service or two or you can go wild and personalized to include a selection of services. I tend to take more services during the winter when I'm less busy and free TV is all reruns.

My older brother switched from the cable company to a fire stick and a streaming app (he likes AT&T TV) and really likes not having to use a cable "box". The fire stick is inserted to one of the TV's HDMI ports and is usually out of sight.

There are several other streaming devices, including Google's Roku but I still prefer the fire stick as the easiest to start using and the most versatile and supported device. I've been using Amazon "fire" products, both the sticks and tablets, for over a decade with kids as young as 3 and siblings, cousins, aunts, parents into their late 80s all being able to use the products. Even my mother with MCI and some dementia behaviors is still able to use the fire stick control to move the cursor to the photo icon of the show she wants to watch most of the time. With a phone app, I can control the fire stick in her bedroom from anywhere in the house which is very useful when I need to pause some show so I can hear what she's saying over the intercom.

I hope this isn't too much information but please remember you can start really slow by purchasing the latest HD fire stick version for $39.99 (they will probably go on sale during Christmas in July for half that) and installing the YouTubeTV app and taking a trial on the service. Amazon support would be happy to help you with that - or I would for anyone who wants to send me a private message with your phone number. If you don't like it, just return it all to Amazon within 30 days for your money back.
(1)

ThanksTNtechie, I appreciate your response very much. I am going to check into it. Not very technical, but will try. I will let you know. I should know this, but what actually is streaming? I think it might be bits and pieces of a movie, right?
(0)

earlybird, if your internet is fast enough to support streaming you might want to try youtubetv which includes most cable channels and several over the air channels like start and metv that include little house, the waltons, murder she wrote, etc. in their programming; my youtubetv is currently $52/month including a DVR function. A $20 indoor HDTV attennna can also bring in start/metv/grit channels free, at least in my area.
(1)

Bobby, I hear you. I watch reruns of Leave It To Beaver in the early am.I was thinking of getting rid of cable. We only watch a few channels for $100.Most of the programs are snowed out. We used to watch Seventh Heaven, Little House and the Walton's.
(2)

andO, how I wish there werewholesome, safe decent programming on TV that families could enjoy together. In the 40' when TV first became available, there was absolutely nothing indecent, lewd, profane, nor even excessively vulgar in any programming. Things like Father Knows Best, LeaveIt to Beaver, Mayberry RFD,Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, and even wonderful deep drama like Firestone Theaterheaterand Roy Rogers Happy Trails; there was every genre and all totally safe for children.I never watch TV now. However, thankfully, there are wonderful inexpensive DVD's available.I recently enjoyed The Star Wittness with Dickie Moore and John Huston from 1932. I also loved Goodby Mr Chips with Greer Garson and The Lady Vanishes with Dame Mae Whitty.
(2)

CBS All Access is offering a 30 day free trial and in addition to catching up on prime time shows, I'm watching the old Perry Mason series. A few of the season 1 shows have problems with the sound track, but I'm really enjoying the different "feel" of the early shows where there's more bantering between Mason and the DA.
(2)

This one is fun.

https://www.9news.com/article/features/faeder-family-creates-dancing-square-to-keep-people-smiling-as-they-walk-down-clarkson-street/73-0497cb64-3412-43ec-8273-f26132d6605e
(0)

I have really gotten into "Animal Kingdom". There are a number of seasons. Its definitely a drama with some violence and a certain amount of twists and turns. I would consider it a similarly to "Ozark" and "Ray Donovan". It goes on and on so there isn't a need for always finding something new. We loved "Schitts Creek" but haven't found a comedy that compares. It certainly takes care of hours in a day. I have my own rule to not watch TV other than news before 6 or 7 in the evening. I read during the day but have been disappointed with alot of second hand books I ordered and of course our libraries have been closed for over a month. Our middle child is pregnant. It's still up in the air as to when we might see her. With that thought looming I find myself less interested in shopping even as stores slowly open even though there are not alot of virus cases where we live. We have enough basic supplies. I am so mentally exhausted with searching for those items that are generally out of stock and I really don't feel like waiting in line to get into a store. What I am observing if I am in one of those stores that have been deemed essential is that the store's employees are doing private shopping which makes me feel I don't have a chance finding what is in short or no supply. We have bought some products online and pay more for the shipping than the items we are buying. At times it feels as though the world will never return to what it used to be.
(3)

I like the news reports conducted in the homes. It's not only an interesting view of lighting, windows, ceilings and stairways. A few times kids or pets have entered the room. One kid was crawling on the floor in an effort to not be seen. Others have pets that want to be part of the program. I flip the channels often. There was a commentator (I think he was on Fox) interviewed at least a couple times at his home. I noticed a beautiful aquarium in his studio room. Actually, I remember the fish better than his comments of the day.

There were a few neighborhood musical presentations I've been fortunate enough to see. My favorite was the neighbors of all ages on the sidewalks in front of their buildings singing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco". The people were mostly led by a young lady. Someone's dog barked along for a minute or two - until the owner quieted or removed the pet. Go San Francisco!
(1)

Hazel, Dennis the Menace, Lauren Lake and other court shows, The Price is Right, to name a few.
(1)

Glad,

I have loved all of the animals that have been in my life. They steal our hearts.
(2)

Glad,

Yes, I have done some of the virtual museum tours. Pretty cool!
(1)

I am absolutely loving seeing news people in their homes, with their children and pets! More natural than all the studio hullabaloo.

https://m.youtube.com/watchv=xehlzloyvuc

And the various vocal artists doing performances in their homes. And how about Garth and Tricia last night on Facebook Live playing from an empty Grand Ole Opry!

And Captain Tom in England on his 100th birthday! There are plenty of fun and interesting things to see.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52484184/captain-tom-pm-pays-tribute-to-fundraiser-s-heroic-efforts

Has anyone done any virtual tours of places on your bucket lists?
(3)

And a story about a therapy dog.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/local-therapy-dog-visits-neighbors-during-covid-19-after-hospitals-cut-back-on-visitors/

There really are so many sweet stories about people helping people.
(2)

Lots of interesting things, even the news, on the tube.

https://www.today.com/video/as-humans-retreat-indoors-wild-animals-are-having-the-run-of-the-place-82579525786?fbclid=IwAR1ZIQJIgHrDMxHHhjnfNZUXwXFDLeZ-lMpxZbl9qso4WMwFVpfOnlS2msY
(2)

I don’t watch much. Used to watch the news. Now it’s all politics and I’m not interested in that mess.
(1)

I like the arrangement by book size. It reminds me of a hill to be hiked, perhaps a hill of knowledge?

Anyway, I think it's a nice way to turn shelving books into something more creative.
(3)

😆😳
LOL! CM! That cleaner must be so terribly embarrassed!
(1)

It's not exactly on t.v. but it is corona-related and I HAVE to share this 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-52412655
(2)

Good Lord, not the Ian Carmichael ones?! I've been trying to get Gaudy Night on audiobook - is there an adaptation of that?
(0)

Old "Lord Peter Wimsey" mysteries on YouTube.
(1)

I like the challenges on the Food Network where contestants start with the basket of food and put together a concoction on a timer. Very good!
(1)

Lots of various things: Law and order svu, documentaries, old movies, etc
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter