Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
I'm watching a lot of Hallmark Channel. My mom gets upset whenever Coronavirus news is on, so I have to avoid regular channels. I loved Hallmark's Christmas movie marathon last weekend, I wish that was on more often. I was watching 'Live with Kelly and Ryan' today and they were filming from their homes. That was kind of fun to see :)
(2)

NOVA and nature series, especially BBC productions.   Sometimes old movies, especially WWII movies, but sometimes they're a bit too upsetting.   Found some channels yesterday with a series of WWII action movies, some of which (like the Alistair MacLean adaptations) are really well done.     Guns of Navarone, Force 20 from Navarone, Ice Station Zebra are 3 of his novels adapted for tv.  

Michaela Mallozzi's BareFeet is interesting; I enjoy seeing and learning more about dancing in various countries.  And it's inspirational; she's in good physical shape, learns the various ethnic dances (apparently) quite easily, and inspires me to start working out so I can dance along with the dancers in her programs.  (Dance, but not necessarily very well!)

https://www.travelbarefeet.com/

What I would really like are more drama, dance, opera and cultural programs.    Bravo used to offer those years ago, before channels segued into junk programs like lifestyles of people in whom I have absolutely no interest - like those people with enough kids for 2 baseball teams).   

Shakespearean dramas, operas, operettas (especially with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy), Metropolitan Opera broadcasts, concerts, ballet...those have literally disappeared except for performances on PBS.  Occasionally a classic with Lawrence Olivier will be on and I can enjoy artful performances once again.
(3)

Some mornings I go online and bring up some mini tours/stories called "Lost LA" and do an exercise routine by wedging a chair against a table, using a door frame and counter top to do semi-push ups. This way I can watch/listen to the stories and not destroy my wrists. This series is a real history of the development of Los Angeles city/county areas and very interesting.
Public Broadcasting offers some interesting programs. Last night an Atlanta neighborhood was featured on a PBS special - also a good one to watch as I created my own exercise routine to stretch the legs and keep overall flexibility. I was about to join a local gym program but must exercise in my living room instead.
(2)

I hate to admit this Bewitched, St Elsewhere, Dark Shadows and crap like that
(5)

I’m so glad you started this thread, lilhelp!

I was thinking of doing one like it for movie reviews and recommendations for both movies and television.

I final watched Sense and Sensibility last night. I plan to watch it again in the next few days as I wasn’t able to give it my full attention.

Sense and Sensibility hit theaters back in 1995 and stars Emma Thompson. Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman and Huge Grant have supporting roles. It is based on the novel of the same name by Jane Austen.

Ive not read any of Austen’s books so I can’t say how the movie stacks up next to the book - but this particular adaptation of Austen’s work is widely considered to be one of the best.
(1)

Rain, great idea!  Start one or more like that, too! 

Love hearing who's watching what .. all about those, wishes to see, what you're doing while you're watching.. exercising Houseplant102, what you're tired of seeing .. like GardenArtist .. the lifestyles of people of no interest to you (us) with enough kids for 2 baseball teams! .. and great ideas to definitely check out, too!  Love Bewitched, Dark Shadows, kelise, and many others here!
(1)

No cable here, so lots of PBS and UNC TV etc Antique Road Show and anything BBC.
I do some adult coloring but that's a different thread. :)
(2)

Rainmom,  that is a good version of Sense & Sensibility, although a little bit overly dramatic emphasizing the prejudices, but that didn't bother me.    It was true to the way Austen felt about those kinds of people.   And It's also  true to the novel, which I've read probably 3 times so far.

If you like Austen's works, you might be interested in the Jane Austen Society of America.   I was  a member for a few years; we had monthly meetings except in summer and discussed a different novel or topic each time we met.    The group was varied, and the conversations were definitely stimulating.

Some of our group members attended the annual meeting, in which members actually wore period style clothing and performed the same dances popular during her lifetime.

See the last entry, for 2022:   http://jasna.org/conferences-events/agms/

If you're interested in joining, or attending meetings, check here for a chapter near you:

http://jasna.org/about/regions/

Info on the Michigan chapter, to get an idea of what the chapters are like:
https://barbsteashop.blogspot.com/2012/04/jane-austen-tea-for-michigan-jasna.html

I think that we had our own website, as the tea shop site was created by one of the members, in part to publicize her business.    I know that I have some photos but they're on an old computer, although I  might have saved them to disk.  

One of the members of our group was a priest, who hosted meetings at a magnificent old building with a monk's dining room, a breathtaking room with Pewabic tiles, and a fireplace.    It was like going back in time to be in that stunning building.  Meetings there were always my favorites.

After the meetings, tea and delicacies were served, but I learned the first time not to indulge b/c I got a sugar high from all the sweets.  Seriously.   All the foods were just loaded with sugar.
(1)

I am waiting for Masterpiece to bring back a new season of "Victoria". Looks like maybe next month as the PBS stations are running last years reruns.

What I do miss is "Airwolf" which I had always felt gave me a bit more self confidence, don't ask why, it just does :) Plus that super sonic helicopter is awesome to watch. I use to have a major crush on Jan-Michael Vincent, but now that I am three decades years older, Ernest Borgnine is starting to look pretty good !!
(2)

FreqFlyer, Airwolf used to be one of my favorites as well.  I LOVED that super high tech chopper, probably in some ways a forerunner of the Apache.  

Jan Michael Vincent unfortunately was very troubled, and had so many personal problems.    If only he could have stayed in military type movies....

I'd like to see Masterpiece bring back Mr. Selfridge.  Despite his personal shortcomings, from what I under he revolutionized retail clothing sales, and thus was ahead of his time in that area.  

There are so many movers and shakers who've contributed so much to progress and innovation, and the documentaries are good and helpful, but sometimes just kind of boring.   

I don't recall if this was on Masterpiece or another PBS venue, but it was introduced recently as a repeat of earlier production, but only ran for a few + sessions:  Line of Separation.   Set in Germany after WWII, it addressed the bifurcation into American vs. Soviet dominated Germany.

It was very, very powerful, emotional, and often hard to watch, but it was a reminder of how fragile freedom can sometimes become.    

On a totally opposite subject, does anyone watch the Puppy and Kitten Bowls in lieu of the football games?  All these adorable little puppies and kittens romp around, stepping in water bowls, rolling and tumbling and playing as puppies and kittens do ...it's so cute.
(2)

I actually enjoy watching the Westminster dog show on tv - at least for a couple of hours - although I missed it this year.

The dogs really seem to enjoy showing off their splendor as they prance around the ring competing.

This year a large black poodle won. The poor dog was cut in what I call the “Topiary” cut - down to the skin in some places and big poofy puff balls in others. But, if I ever get another dog, I’m thinking a small poodle would be the likely choice. Poodles are suppose to be very smart and they shed very little.

Anyhoo - this years Westminster’s show was held just this past February in New York - both the traditional time and place. Good thing, considering what the
poor folks in New York are currently dealing with. God, help them... and all of us.
(3)

Rainmom, I love the dog shows, but I do get disappointed that it's often literally predictable which dogs will win, and poodles seem to be favorites, not that I have anything against them.

I love the nonsporting and working group dogs.
(2)

There have been alot of repeats. Probably because it was suppose to be March madness this month. So, I have been watching on Demand. I also have Acorn TV. Enjoy the UK programs better than US.
(2)

Watching Jimmy Fallon and Trevor Noah doing their shows from home really makes you realize how much they rely on audience reaction as motivation.

Just saying...😶
(4)

I watch a lot of PBS shows, I like anything on nature. Also watched a great documentary on Julia Child, another PBS show, Earth’s Sacred Wonders which is really good. So far it’s on Buddhist temples, Cathedrals in Europe, and so on. I adore beautiful architecture. I like old classic movies. I watch NOVA.

I like Fallon. He makes me giggle because he’s so silly. I like twilight zone. I will catch up with the news but not going to be a news junkie because I will get anxious and in a funk.

I like Young Sheldon and Mom. Both are funny.

I watched the dog show. They don’t always pick the dog I want. My husband’s comments about the dogs are hysterical! I am rewatching Downton Abbey. I like Antiques Road Show.

Oh, I forgot to check on this. Maybe I missed it if they announced on the news. What is going on with the Olympics? Guess it’s postponed, huh? Anyone know?
(2)

I love so many of these! I watch the dog & kitty bowls, too, GardenArtist.  Rainmom, I saw the dog show & that black poodle win.. what a beauty!  It's hard to choose a dog, but that one really stood out.  And love Twilight Zone, NeedHelpWMom. How about The Outer Limits? Occasionally catch that.

Wish they'd put that British comedy back on, Absolutely Fabulous.  And even start a new series of it.  Those 2 gals are hilarious, especially the blonde, Patsy.  Now would be a good time to see that ~ laughter medicine.
(0)

Just found this thread. True to form, I am watching two series at the same time - not at once, but I watch a little of one, get busy with something else around the house, then turn on the other. You will never believe how different the shows are!

Baseball, a documentary series by Ken Burns. I’m not even a baseball fan. I played sandlot softball when I was a kid, but I do not follow baseball now, other than to know a little about the major players. I love anything by Ken Burns, though, and I love history which the series is full of, not just baseball history. I had recently watched his Country Music docuseries. Loved that too.

When I get tired of Baseball, I watch an old BBC medical drama that I found on Amazon Prime, Peak Practice. The story lines are just OK, but I love looking at the settings. I believe they filmed it in Derbyshire England.
(1)

Lil.

Haven’t caught The Outer Limits in awhile but I love sci-fi. Love the British comedies too. I miss Keeping Up Appearances. Faulty Towers was adorable.

I like baseball too. My grandpa was a huge fan of baseball and I grew up watching it with him.
(1)

I just recorded Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood, tonight.

After tomorrow, hubby is home for a little under three weeks and I’ve canceled Rainmans paid companions for that time. We have committed to hunkering down - just the three of us and the dogs - for the duration. Well, hubby and I committed- poor Rainman didn’t get a vote.

Anyhoo... Once Upon a Time is one long azz movie - 2 hours and 40 minutes so we’re saving it for a night next week.

I have a love/hate thing with Quentin Tarantino’s films. Love some - like Dusk Before Dawn, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs. Hate just a few - like The Hateful Eight. So, we shall see and I’ll report back. But, I gotta say - with Brad Pitt and Leonardo DeCaprio in it, if I
dont like it - I’ll just turn the sound down and enjoy the eye candy!
But - it got a ton of good reviews and was nominated for a bunch of awards, so I’m hopeful. Plus - I love the fashion of that time period AND the whole Manson Family thing has always interested me.

No spoilers- but anyone else see it?
(2)

The 3rd season of Ozark just aired on Netflix. If you haven't seen the first 2 seasons you could watch them first. It is a very layered drama that is very well done in my opinion. Even though my husband saw the first 2 seasons with me he is going back as there are so many storylines and it has been awhile since we watched them. I probably will do the same.
(2)

Documentaries on PBS, old western programs on MeTV, classic crime drama on COZI TV and classic sitcom comedies on GetTV. I'm in the CA Bay Area.
(1)

Another show I wish would come back is Red Green, a Canadian comedy. It was about a guy who could build anything out of old stuff he had in his workshop, or fix anything with duct tape.

One time Red Green wanted a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so he took the front of two old front wheel drive cars and joined them together.

My Dad and I would laugh until we cried over the various situations. My sig other, who can't figure out how to open a tool box, just didn't understand the show at all :) Especially when Red said "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"
(3)

FreqFlyer, your comments on the Red Green show really brought back memories.   We watched so many shows that now are history.  It's truly a diversion to think of how many tv shows, good wholesome shows, have disappeared.  

Anyone remember the Nelsons?  Ozzie, Harriet and the two singing sons?  Of course I Love Lucy was a standard as well.   And remember The Lone Ranger?   We didn't even have any concept at that time about relationships between whites and Native Americans.    I suppose it was a trend setter in that respect.
(4)

Yes, Garden, Luuuucy!  Ozzie, and the rest.  Perry Mason! 

Surprised me to catch Hopalong Cassidy on a couple of days!
(2)

Rainmom,

I rented "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." I like some of QT movies and some are just to out there for me. Lol!!
(1)

Perry Mason. That show always reminds me of when I had to stay home from school when I was sick - and too young for Soaps. My parents would wheel a black and white TV into my room in an attempt to isolate me from my brothers. Hmmmm... sound familiar?

I did discover the wonderful world of Soaps in the fourth grade - All My Children following Ryan’s Hope. Both shows long gone.

Lucy seemed to go through many incarnations- but I’ve always liked the originals with Desi the best. Boy, did they have an effed up relationship in real life.

I can’t recall Ozzie and Harriet but do remember Leave it to Beaver, Timmy and Lassie, My Four Sons and of course Family Affair with the wonderful Mr. French. Also - Nanny and the Professor and The Courtship io of Eddies Father. They were later, I think.

All good memories in hindsight. But - isn’t that the way it always seem when going through a difficult time and look back into the past?
(3)

Dick Van Dyke show on YouTube. Lots of old shows are there. Used to have Golden Girls but it was taken off.
(3)

Bloodline on Netflix. With Kyle Chandler, Sissy Spacek, Sam Shepherd. So good I’m watching it again.
(1)

OMG! The mention of The Dick Van Dyke show got me to remembering the most awesome time in TV history!

Saturday nights on CBS in the 70’s!

Always there was All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore and The Carol Burnett Show. Mixing in and out was MASH, The Bob Newhart Show and The Dick Van Dyke Show - the one with Hope Lange.

What young lady of the ‘70’s didn’t want to be Mary - and have an apartment with a big letter initial on the wall?!!

Any one of these shows would have me laughing out loud but especially Carol Burnett! Her work with Harvey Korman and his work with Tim Conway... pure gold.
(3)

Dick Van Dyke is adorable! Rainmom, all great choices. Love all of those! I had a crush on Alan Alda in Mash! He was so good looking in his youth.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter