Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Paul Hollywood Mel Sue Perkins and Mary Berry

Great British Baking Show Loved episode where one baker sabatoged other baker creation leaving out his ice cream to melt. He was eliminated but got his revenge when she got sick and could not continue Lol
(2)

Polar,

I hear ya! I am intimidated by that kind of baking but it sure is fun to watch.

One day, I am going to try a pie crust. My husband loves pie! I don’t have a favorite pie. There is a restaurant in uptown New Orleans that does a killer pecan pie! I do love fruit pies, sweet potato pie or a good pumpkin pie. I have no idea what mince meat pie is. LOL. My uncle loved that pie. As a kid I never tried it because the name grossed me out! Hahaha

Do you like to watch Martha Stewart bake? I do.

Or the PBS shows? America’s Test Kitchen, Coook’s Country or Milk Street. They are wonderful!

My neighborhood does the ‘cookie swap’ at Christmas time. That’s fun. We each bake our favorites and then swap to sample the different recipes. We print the recipes to pass out to each other.

Apple bread sounds yummy! Yes, I make corn bread too. That’s so Southern!
(2)

NHWM- Yes, I do like the contestants in Bake-off shows. They are really creative and artistic. Their creations are so beautiful.

I do bake a little. Some baguette, corn and apple breads, easy stuff. I don't think I want to do the type of baking on the shows. Too time consuming and difficult.
(2)

If anyone is interested...

As most of you know, I am a huge Jazz and Heritage Festival fan. I went to the very first one that was held at our Fairgrounds while I was in high school. I’ve been hooked since the very first festival!

Anyway, I am still sewing my masks to donate. Naturally our festival was canceled but WWOZ is so awesome! They are broadcasting music from past festivals and calling it ‘Festing in Place.’ Love it!!!

So, since this is the next best thing to attending the fest I have it playing in the background while I sew my masks.

If anyone wants to fest in place with me, it’s on WWOZ New Orleans. wwoz.org/listen/player

You can stream New Orleans music!
(2)

Watched some science programs yesterday; I don't recall if they were on the Smithsonian channel or one of the PBS channels.

One dealt with the creation of specific areas in the US, and then the English Channel. I did take geology and was fascinated with it, knowing that someday I wanted to study it further.

The underlying focus was the effect of massive floods in creating both the American Badlands and the English Channel. I felt so ignorant to learn that the England and the European continent had once been connected, and to make a long story short, a massive flood eventually ravaged the land bridge, tearing land away and creating the English Channel, separating England from the continent.

It was well worth watching, fascinating, educational, detecting and following the clues (with a Sherlock Holmes hat on of course) and reminded me of the detail, analysis and steps taken to study history back to millions of years ago. By the end of the program, I was focused more on getting out my old geology books, buying some more when Barnes & Noble opened again, and learn more about Michigan's own geological history, including the creation of the Great Lakes.

I thought also about one of the counties in which there are multiple lakes, and for a while drifted down a memory lane I've never experienced, imagining that county covered by glaciers, what animals lived there, how deep the glacier was, and how it scoured out the Great Lakes, and it looks today.

By that time I was so relaxed, yet focused in a good manner, and fell asleep very easily.

I don't know that geology or fascination with glaciers will put everyone to sleep, or just relaxed, but it certainly did for me.
(2)

Polar,

British baking show is so fun. One of my favorite shows. I admire pastry chefs. It’s can be a huge challenge. I learned to bake a few things but I am not that good to do the fancy baking.

I have a good friend who was a pastry chef at an organic health food restaurant. I used to bake bread with her once in awhile. It is a labor of love. It takes a lot of time and patience.

I can cook really well. Baking is so precise and less forgiving. So my friend and I made a deal.

She baked fabulous bread for me and I made soup for her. She hated cooking. I wasn’t keen on baking bread from scratch.

It worked out much better then me baking with my friend. I do love the smell of bread as it bakes! Just not all of the work. Some people love bread making.

Polar, do you bake? I can do simple things like cobblers, cake, quick breads, biscuits, brownies and of course New Orleans bread pudding but I have never done a pie crust other than a graham cracker crusts. For some reason I am intimidated by making a pie crust.
(2)

To be fair, Mary Berry is a genuine grande dame of the cookery world over here, Polar. She and Marguerite Patten wrote the books that many of us grew up with, so I don't accuse her of not knowing her stuff. What I hate most is the absurdities of the format -

The first (and last!) one I watched most of the way through, the "Challenge" (that's part of it, isn't it?) was to make rough puff pastry. Well, now. I happened to know - because it was a challenge I'd set myself some years before and unfortunately then-SO was very fond of a pie that needed it - that the most important thing about rpp is the resting. Make, rest. Roll, rest. Roll, rest. Roll, rest. Roll, rest.

You CANNOT do this job properly in two hours. Can't be done. You are bound to make a cod's of it. So why deliberately pick something the contestants would have to bodge to finish in time? I was livid. It speaks to me of the whole Entertainment First! problem that infests the BBC and undermines its very reason for being.

The BBC's founding mission was "to inform, educate, and entertain." IN THAT ORDER. And nowadays? They can't give you the weather forecast without telling the meteorologists to emote more.

They ruin my day. Every day.

But then again... I was scanning the tv schedule (forlorn hope) earlier this week and my eye fell on this programme summary: "Some sheep wander down a hillside in the fog." I was tempted, I'll admit. That's more like it.
(2)

CM, yes, it was Mary Berry along side a younger male judge. To me, their demeanor was condescending and snobbish. The two hosts were just annoying and crass. I may be too harsh on them. Just that their styles rub me the wrong way.

And if you don't like your MIL, looking at her doppelganger acting all cultured and sophisticated would make you break out in hives.
(1)

Polar, how on earth did you sit through a dozen?

I am constantly astonished at who watches GBBO and its ilk - especially Strictly Come Dancing, another programme I can't bear at any price. Clever, cultured, amusing, at least moderately intellectual people, and then you hear they've swapped their opera tickets because some bozo has got into the semi final of Bake Off.

The whole genre brings me out in a rash.

Was this one of the old series with Mary Berry in it? - it's just she is so uncannily like my MIL to look at. Which doesn't exactly help.
(1)

Clementine - I watched a dozen or so episodes of the British Bake-off last year. Many of the contestants were amazing, but to be honest, I could not stand the judges/hosts. After the contests, there were a few episodes where the judges showed off their baking talent, and their creations weren't as nice as the ones made by the contestants.
(3)

Revisiting earlier seasons of Great British Bake-Off (Great Canadian Bake Off on tonite!) Pure escapism. I must not be the only one since it's almost impossible to find bread yeast in the grocery store! Will I make that Pavlova? I think not, but I live vicariously through the contestants (and don't have to clean up the kitchen later!)
(1)

lil- I have to check out the new movies. I love Spock and the way he raised his one eye brow. Haha.
(1)

Yes, polar, I am!  Love Star Trek!  Live long and prosper!  You got to see Data?!  Nice.  Love the older first ones, plus The Next Generation, and others ..  and the movies.  Two of their newer movies are good, too.  Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) are both close to being ringers for the actors' parts they're portraying.  Sad about Leonard Nimoy, one of my favorites.  Glad he was in the newer movies with those new actors.

I've seen many of those programs on aliens, UFOs, Area 51, etc.  Most are pretty good, interesting. 

lil
(1)

Anyone here a Trekkie?

I love Star Trek, TNG, Voyager, etc. I especially admire Vulcan's logical mind. I also like Data a lot. I saw him at a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas years ago. The line to take picture with him was long. It was a fun convention. I love seeing people dressed up as different alien species.

Oh, on my list to watch are programs about aliens, UFO and area 51.
(3)

glad: I heard one "Corona inspired song" that someone shared to social media. We had a cat like that - took the boy in from the street - long story short, I was living with my mother 7 states away taking care of her and cat took large chunks out of husband's arm, caused cellulitis and in the hospital twice. Cat had to go. He liked to try to tear up our 20 year old cat AND my husband!
(1)

Just played bohemian rhapsody. Very clever. And that darn cat tried to take a chunk out of my arm. What is it with that cat and music?! 😽😺😺🙀😹

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eo9M4-BrJA
(0)

Iv'e been watching videos on You Tube of different people singing songs everyone knows,but they're using coronavirus words to the songs instead.
Some are serious and some are funny.
My favorite one is called "Thank U Frontline"BY Chris Mann.
"Corona Rhapsody"(Bohemian Rhapsody) is really good too and "Imagine"(there's no bog roll) by matthewfearonmusic is great.
There's alot of good one's and it's sure happier than the news.
(1)

I am watching "Animal Kingdom" which isn't that easy to follow. After Ozark I am spoiled. I haven't come across anything remotely similar and please don't suggest that tiger series. My past favorites have been "The Affair","Shameless","Billions","Divorce","Wentworth" and I really loved"Succesion". Not that's it's up to any of you to offer suggestions but if you feel like it I would enjoy hearing about it. I also enjoyed "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel"

(1)

Need: I hear you on Reality TV shows. The Good Doctor is not. It's a wrap for the season as I'd said. Alone is one I do like only because I know someone from Maryland who was on it one year.
(1)

Llama,

I have not seen that. Will have to check it out.

I can’t get into the reality shows. The Kardashians, Real Housewives, Naked and Afraid, Survivor, any of that stuff... I have no desire. Incredibly boring but some people love reality shows even if they know they are scripted. Mindless television, I guess.
(2)

Need: Wow. Husband and I have a variety of shows that we like to watch. The Good Doctor is one of them and has been done for the season. It would be hard to play a role for someone on the Spectrum I think.
(0)

Llama,

I binge watch it. The photography is so beautiful.
(1)

Need: Yes! Love Aerial America! It's VERY well done.
(1)

GA,

I love Smithsonian channel. The show with the aerial photography is extraordinary.

PBS programs are always great quality shows. I love Nature, NOVA, and many others.
(1)

If you get the Smithsonian channel, there are some excellent programs.   Today was the repeat of a series on each state.   I eagerly watched the Alaska episode; it was almost totally of stunning mountainous areas and glaciers.    It was better than "Calgon, take me away" trip!

I'm partial to the PBS programs, especially the craft ones although my favorite (Crafters' Legacy) is apparently off the air temporarily.    I also like Bare Feet, with Mickela Mallozzi.    (I think I mentioned this program elsewhere, sometime ago.)   She's an accomplished, multitalented dancer who travels to different countries, learns some of the local dances, and shares them in her program.  

It's a quick glimpse into some family life, entertainment, arts, architecture, history, and  lifestyles.   There is sooooo much to learn about other countries and their ways of life.

On a different direction, Masterpiece Theatre definitely redirects thoughts away from the pandemic, but sometimes by presentation of such intense programs that the anxiety literally creates the transition.   One currently airing is World on Fire, set just before Hitler invaded Poland, and now focusing on adaption of selected individuals and families, as well as the Polish resistance. 

The devastation and sacrifices made by the people and countries invaded make the pandemic seem moderate in comparison.
(0)

Pam,

I watch the first 3 Esp of "These Woods are Haunted" and it is scary. These shows don't normally scare me, but it did...I love it! Great show!👻
(1)

Your welcome Polarbear! 🐾🐾

I am going to look up These Woods Are Haunted as I love camping and haunted shows as well! Thanks Pam!🐕
(3)

Just looked up Ghost Hunters and These Woods Are Haunted. They are now on my watch list. Thanks Shell and Pam.

I like listening to Coast2Coast on radio. Lots of interesting topics.
(3)

Polar, watch "these woods are haunted" ( I think it's called) It makes me shiver as I love the outdoors and camping..! And I love Ghost Hunters too!
(3)

Shell,

New Orleans is extremely haunted. I was terrified of my grandmother in law’s ghost living in that home. She was an awful woman.

Sometimes, I sense her even in my house. She was an incredible artist. I have several of her paintings throughout my home.

I have her dining room furniture in my home. I have a beautiful settee in my foyer. I have some crystal pieces, a large punch bowl, pitchers, goblets, vases, etc. and lots of silver pieces.

I have several of her large mirrors in my home. So, her energy could be in my house. Oh, I also have tons of her needlework pieces in my home. I even have her sewing box filled with contents.

I did love her home. The house blessing uses holy water and incense. It’s a beautiful prayer. Part of it is in Latin.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter