Follow

My Stepsister is doing this on facebook quite a bit, This helps her keep her from falling into a depression with the family situation we have going on right now and to focus on the good stuff in life. I thought with all of the crap that goes on in our lives with our sick relatives, I think maybe doing this thread will help people focus on the good stuff in life, maybe give some hope to some people who are struggling out there. Feel free to contribute to this thread!

One: I got a vacuum cleaner belt for my vacuum online today for 10% off today, plus free shipping.
Two: My favorite OTA channel is working again, after a couple days of pain in the rear transmitter maintenance.
Three: I get Wednesday off (Mom is going to her activities on Wed, meaning that I will not have to help her unpack on Wednesday. Very nice to get a day off)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Shell,

Yes! Having a person who is a good mate is everything! I feel that way too.

2nd, when kids reach the age where they value our opinions as mom and dad. I am mom but after a certain age we develop a different bond. Hard to put into words. I wish I would have been able to have that with my mom. Did have it with my dad, aunt and uncle, grandparents and mother in law.

3rd, that my mother in law raised her son not to be like his dad. His dad was sexist. His dad was arrogant. My MIL was strong and loving. It takes a strong person to break cycles. I miss her. She died many years ago but she lives in my heart.
(2)

1) I have the best sig other in the world. He understands me in a way that no one ever has. He is just awesome to me.
2) I had a wonderful meal today. Corn beef and cabbage with new potatoes and baby carrots; plus homemade soda bread and homemade rice pudding! Yum!!
3) I have very comfy sheets on my bed that I just can't wait to curl up in bed tonight and fall asleep to a movie.💤💤
(5)

Cwillie, muscle mass YES. Me too. Joined the gym & been swimming, pilates & weights since Feb & scales the same (grrr) but clothes fitting better so that's my good thing.

Our pool now closed but memory of floating around for relaxation at the end of aqua aerobics yesterday is a good memory.

Found a great YouTube yoga teacher (Adrienne.from Texas) to continue at home.
(2)

I won a free coffee at Tim Hortons this morning - of course we aren't allowed to dine in and it was cold by the time I walked home with it but I do have a microwave, so that's okay

After several weeks of eliminating sugar and fried foods my scale says 154 lbs - of course that's what it said when I began but I've added muscle mass from all the extras I'm doing....uhm, right?

The weather has been April like so I'm way ahead on my spring yard work.
(1)

Oh, Mary. Just reading of the fall brings back memories of when I witnessed mom falling so many times. It’s so hard.

Just wanted to say that I empathize and glad that she wasn’t hurt.

I am no longer a caregiver to mom. I did it for many years. It never gets any easier, only more challenging. Mom is now with my brother and sister in law. I burned out. I wish you all the best.
(1)

1. Mom got herself up and dressed this morning and ate a good breakfast.
2. She fell today, but didn’t get hurt, and I was able to get her up.
3. I had people to talk to (my daughter, my sister) when I needed to vent after the fall incident.
(2)

One of my good things is that cheery little icon that GoodBird has! I love it!
(2)

Hello,

My 3 good things today are:

1) Drawing and working on my art projects
2) Planned to see a movie with my best friend who I haven’t seen in a long time
3) I ate a delicious sandwich that had lettuce, chicken, tomato, grapes, and almonds. It was so good!!

It is important to see the good things in life, even though caregiving is tiring and difficult. It makes me appreciate the good things even more.
(8)

I was driving to work, went to get on the highway and saw a huge backup and police and firetrucks. I was able to turn around and go another way!
Then I saw a "shooting star" and made a wish for my daughter who just got a huge promotion at work.
Then I heard on the radio that the best way to avoid the corona virus was wash your hands and not touch your face,, they said the average person touches their face 24 times an hour.. So I have an hour drive to work,, I;m driving, this should be easy.. Massive FAIL !! I touch my hair, my eyes, my mouth.. OMG. But I tried so I guess that counts?
(3)

After not seeing mom in NH for 3 days - I had issues to deal with- I was dreading what I might encounter. I skip a night here and there, but rarely more than that. What has greeted me in the past - oh boy. Won't get into details.

Tonight, what greeted me was a woman positioned comfortably in bed, wearing a RL top I got her for xmas, enjoying a TMC movie! She was in good spirits, sharing stories and gossip, telling me about her pleasant encounters with some newer staff. A good day. (eta; that 'woman' was my mom, in case I wasn't clear about that ;p)

#2: A nurse who has been screwing up her med passes has made enough mistakes that the other nurses are getting mad. I won't have to report her now, they will deal with it, and that leaves me free from repercussions. Whew.

#3: Those organic cookies that look delicious but are hella expensive were on sale today. I bought some. They are delicious.
(4)

- My eye machine MAY be fixed.
- Our daughter found a program to complete her income taxes - I'd been doing them for the last 25 years!
- Our son in law was given A NEW TO HIM TRUCK by one of his customers!
(4)

My supplies were delivered for my new project that I am working on.

I had my stylist do a different cut and I love it!

Made plans for lunch tomorrow with a friend that I haven’t seen in ages. Looking forward to it. We talk on the phone but just haven’t been able to coordinate our schedules.
(5)

TN,

You are a blessing in your nephew’s life. You are a teacher, every bit as much as his teacher in school. Years ago I taught school. Family input is so important. Whenever a child’s family supports the child and his educator the child will always do better. Good job! As a former teacher I thank you.
(2)

One: My dyslectic grand-nephew has a teacher for his Tennessee History class who has ignited an interest in history.
Two: Grand-nephew has been coming to my house to study since (he says) I love history even more than his teacher. He loves finding out he has ancestors involved in the history he is studying: Watauga Compact, Battle of Kings Mountain, Battle of Franklin.
Three: He came home from school today on top of the world - made 105 on latest test and first time he got the bonus question right!

Learning disabled kids get so beat up by the school system it's just great to see him so happy about his school performance outside of math (where he's always gotten As).
(3)

polarbear: You're very welcome.
(1)

Thank you Llama and NHWM. My kids told me they were old enough to stay home by themselves, so we could leave them at home. We went out for lunch, just the two of us. A nice break. Wish we could go on a short vacation though. Maybe next year.
(2)

polarbear: Happy Sixteenth Wedding Anniversary!💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞
(3)

Happy Anniversary, Polar!
(3)

Celebrating my 16th wedding anniversary tomorrow. I feel so blessed to share life with a wonderful man. I think this alone counts at least as 3 good things.
(9)

- Cooked the pork roast (boneless) for the red beet soup last night.
- Got all the ingredients for it last night.
- Starting cooking it in a bit.
(3)

The days will be getting longer

We're gonna have a green Christmas (no white knuckle driving through a white out on the way to visit family)

The expired yeast I had in the back of the cupboard proofed vigorously, now I have to figure out what to make with if, so many delicious options :)
(4)

Need: That is wonderful news about your daughter's internship! Congratulations to her! Bravo! Three cheers!

My daughter is responsible at 47 years of age.
(1)

Yay! My daughter got her internship. Thanks to all who prayed for her. I so appreciate it!

She starts this spring. She likes the company and has an opportunity to transfer to other locations for different opportunities.

She graduates from LSU this May!
(6)

Need: Your stories about your daughters are wonderful, especially the kid Ryan that your daughter chased and the story about the lemonade stand! Thanks so much for sharing.
(1)

polar: Sorry about your phone, but congrats on your bonus!
(1)

Llama,

That is so cute about her marrying him. When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten she constantly chased this one boy on the playground. Her teacher told me that she asked her when she was going to stop chasing the boys, she told the teacher very matter of factly, “I will stop when I catch Ryan.” The teacher was laughing when she told me about it and said that my daughter knew what she wanted. Hahaha

Nope, she didn’t marry Ryan but he was her kindergarten crush! Kids are funny.

My younger daughter had a lemonade stand that she sold lemonade for 50 cents a glass. A boy that liked her gave her $5.00. I told her she couldn’t keep that much money for one glass of lemonade! She got so mad and told me that she was not giving him change just because I thought it was too much money. So I called his mom. His mom admitted to me that her son loved my daughter and if he wanted to overpay for lemonade to let him. Geeeeez, poor kid. My daughter never gave him a second look! That’s my business major now at LSU.

The boy, well Drew said from the time he was young that he would one day be president! He ended up going to college in D.C. He still lives there and loves politics! Isn’t it funny how they can know how they feel from a very young age. He was always the class president and does have great leadership skills.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom: Thank you so much for your wonderful compliment! You just made my night, week, year, decade and century! You are a very kind person! My daughter met her husband when they were in kindergarten together and she said "Mommy, I am going to marry that boy." And she DID.
(1)

Well, my 4 year-old smart phone is beginning to act up. It's a very sturdy and reliable phone that has served me well for 4 years this month. I think it's time I look for a new one. Just hate seeing how ridiculously expensive cell phones are now. On the bright side, I just got a holiday bonus so I can afford to buy a new one. Maybe I'll can wait for after Xmas sales.

Found the long lost library book just in time to return it before it couldn't be renewed anymore.

Older daughter wants to learn to ski. She can roller skate and ice skate, so skiing shouldn't be hard. I'm making plans to take her to a small ski resort to take a ski lesson. Bunny hill here we come.
(4)

Llama,

I just love your daughter! She sounds so responsible! She should be proud of herself. I know you are proud of her. She sounds like a very smart woman.
(1)

NHWM: Yes, she did! So saith the auto salesman - "This is the first EVER time I've sold a vehicl;e to anyone on September 11." It was such a great deal that she couldn't pass it up. Another bonus feature of our area - think we are with the DOD (NSA) and Washington, D.C. - is that it's all black. So she looks like the FEDS! The first time my DH saw it is when we were coming home from a trip to Fort Eustis, Virginia and I said to DH on my smartphone - "The Feds are about to roll up!" Then he came out to look at all "the bells and whistles of the vehicle." Downfall is that this is the first ever time she's had a car payment. Her last vehicle she paid cash for as the had just sold the townhouse she'd purchased when she was just 25 years old.

That is funny about your youngest daughter spilling the beans on what your gift from her is! Good for you on the new sweater. I don't even own a sweater - hailing from New England, What kind of veggies did you put in the soup?
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter