Follow

Medicaid varies State to State. I am in CA and brought my sister (dementia) back here, when I found her in Oklahoma. She never married, no children, always said she was a "ghost writer" (penniless) and continued her snarky personality. I became her POA to help her + access her medical and financial records. I didn't even know what an Assisted Living facility was for her first 6 months with me. I (for her)applied for Medicaid/MediCal = Cal Optima in CA; then applied for AL Waiver by going to their office with completed paper work. I read, reread and again read every page, filled in every section 100% and attached copies of exactly what they requested. I hand-carried it to their office, having a scheduled appt. The counselor "called in sick" that day so an unknown saw me. She was more of a challenge than talking with my sister. I hesitated leaving the 10 page form + attachments with her...but I had a complete copy @ home also. (ALWAYS) keep a copy (dated) of everything. Sis was on the Waiver waiting list for 18 months, then "accepted, interviewed (with me) and has 6 months to move to a waivered facility...which are full with waiting lists here in Orange County, CA. The ALW program is a fairly new state program so funding remains a big issue. She remains in her AL (cash) facility until a bed opens @ the residence I hope to move her to. (2 miles from my home) Two patients there are on Hospice.??? Moving patients with dementia increases their dementia/confusion...so I am hoping this next move will be her last. She needs to move to an ALW facility anywhere in CA within 6 months or she will lose the waiver. The clock is ticking!!!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
You can always check the posters profile, many posters have their location on their profile. Hope your sister gets into an AL within 6 months. It is hard in this state because there are waitlists for every type of housing assistance. And for AL, only certain counties accept Medi-cal waivers which makes it even harder to find placement :(
(0)

Sis is currently in AL but awaiting opening in AL WAIVER facility. Not enough facilities in the OC; not enough openings. 6 months to relocate goes quickly. Her current AL "applied" to be a waived facility 6 months ago but so far nada!! Their
corporation in other CA counties (not Orange County) has had approval for a 2 years so her facility knows the ropes. Time marches on!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter