Follow

I need to vent and you're all good people. This doesn't end with a question.

I take care of my mom, 90s, with failing memory. She is blaming me for hiding her things or throwing things away. Says stuff like "I can't believe my son would do this. My son!" I keep my cool and just go to my room where, increasingly, I live in isolation. Sometimes she shifts to a friendlier state, which can last for a week or so, but I never know when the paranoia will emerge, so I'm constantly on edge. The stress is considerable. I eat a lot of sweets.

There's no possibility of rational discourse. There's no possibility of "let's look for this together;" her attitude is a simmering cauldron of resentment, grievance and baked irrationality.

I realize this is mental illness, cognitive decline, whatever. Help is an impossibility because she has powerful will and enough intelligence to resist anything.

Like I said, I'm just venting.

I've been taking care of her for about five years now, through cancer, heart surgery, ongoing medical appointments, etc., and by myself. I remind her of her medications and do my best to make sure she takes everything. That's been working out so far.

For me, unrelieved stress, financial hit, and what feels like a disappearing life. I have one friend who talks with me daily and would perish without her. She needs support as well, living alone and afraid to do anything because of pre-existing conditions.

Oddly, the pandemic didn't change much for me. Other than replacing the gym with long walks and bike rides, and wearing a mask, it's all the same.

I don't blame my mom, or karma for this circumstance. It is what it is and sometimes I thank God for putting me through this test of character and love, which I often fail at by getting angry. When she told me a few days ago that she might not make it to next spring, my initial feeling was expectant relief quickly followed by shameful guilt.

Maybe I'll emerge on the other side better for it. But for now, I sit in my room with my books, my only really escape, and hope for a way to deal with this paranoia and hate but have no way, honestly.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You are doing the very best you can. That's all any of us can do. Is it hard to be a caregiver? YES!!! Does it take it's toll on us eventually? YES!!! Do we all get angry about our situations at times? YES!!! Do we all feel guilty at times for the way we feel? YES!!!

So as you see, you are not alone. Those of us that have been caregiving for years, feel your pain, but know too that there is light at the end of the tunnel. This too shall pass. And when it does, you will emerge a stronger and better person, and your life will go on. So please continue to take care of yourself the very best you can, and may God give you the strength and courage to carry on.
(14)

Thank you!
(2)

I hope you’ve discussed the paranoia with your mom’s doctor to see if there’s a possibility of a med to help calm this. And I’m glad you reached out here, there are many that are coping the best they can with such difficult circumstances. Good for you on keeping up the walks and bike rides. And chocolate has gotten me through many a hard day!
(5)

I am so sorry that you are struggling with this.

Vent all you like! Sometimes it feels like there are no answers and we must learn to cope in the most difficult circumstances. It’s hard.
(4)

I personally went through dementia with my mom and unfortunately I was in no position to have her stay at home. I commend you for taking care of your mom. You are doing the best you can and you need not beat yourself up at all nor feel any guilt because she is not herself. Dementia is a cruel and heartless disease :-(. Just remember to do take care of you and do NOT feel guilty for doing so. I am praying for you.
(2)

I feel like I'm reading my own story. My bedroom is my haven to get away from my mother's constant demands. I know that's a terrible way to deal with my circumstances but it's all I have. I know about isolation and no social life. I feel very lonely at times and tend to over sleep. My mother is 95 and has cancer, and has a pacemaker to help her Congestive heart failure. I feel like I'm on call now everyday tending to her needs. I do have faith in God. I'm working on praying more and finding solace in him. Good luck you are not alone!
(4)

Artist,

I am so sorry that you are struggling with your situation. Caregiving is very isolating.

It is wonderful that you are comforted by your faith.

Wishing you all the best. Take care. Many hugs.
(2)

Just a thought.... Some of us are more sensitive to electromagnetic frequencies (EMF) than others. EMF are thought to affect health and mood. Certain metals and stones/crystals are said to help protect the body from EMF. Some people say copper jewelry helps. Hematite, which has iron in it, is favored by others. You might Google "EMF protection" and see what you find.
(0)

Your mother is probably frustrated with her life as well. Maybe it is time to consider moving her to assisted living. She might enjoy being around other people her age. This also would give her care should something happen to you.
(4)

It's hard to gain perspective when you're locked into it. The long term stress takes its toll in many ways. On some level your mother probably does understand the incredible gift of service you choose daily to perform. The Alzheimers Association has online support groups now for covid caretakers stuck in isolation. It can be any type of dementia. If you call them, they have a terrific hotline too and can give you some resources to add to your toolkit of self care. Good luck, we are with you!!
(5)

What blows my mind is that SO MANY of us are going through this. Taking care of our parents ourselves (alone) instead of putting them in nursing homes - which would probably be the best thing for our own health.
I too feel like I haven't had a life in years. First with my Father who had Dementia. And now with my Mother. She doesn't have Dementia, but is very demanding and controlling - as usual.
I feel cheated. I do. I love her, but I feel cheated. You're lucky you have someone to talk to who LISTENS. My so-called friends who btw didn't go through this, tend to not want to hear anything. So, I keep my mouth shut. All I can do is dream of a day when I will be free to live my life. Hang in there. :)
(8)

Year 8 of taking care of my ailing spouse. This is my retirement, my golden years. Now my few escapes have been taken away by Covid. By the time there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I will be too old to do anything about it. Just venting.
(10)

I don't feel like I have a life anymore either, and the depression is strong. I sometimes don't know anymore if I'm isolating because of covid or depression, I guess both.

I've been trying to help myself, mentally, by thinking of ways to help the depression, and being mindful to not blame (for a lack of a better word) my mother for things that are not her fault.

For example, it's not her fault that I couldn't get myself out for a walk this morning, even though I know it would be good for me. There is enough that IS her fault, but in the end it's up to me to cope.

So, I'm trying to take responsibility for this depression, but it's hard when I am so terrified of the future that I obsess about it 24/7. I'm terrified of every aspect of this dementia. How she is now, and how bad it will still get!

I find myself hanging around this forum a lot. It feels like a safe space where people get it, and that makes me feel less alone. In real life I don't talk to anyone about my mom's dementia except to my husband and doctor. I gave up on my siblings being any kind of support. It's just a lonely journey.
(11)

People should not be kept alive by medications. Meds are not God. If God had God’s way, people would die naturally. No one should have to endure life with dementia, neither the patient nor the far-more-patient caregiver. My mother, at 94, wanted to die, my brother (POA) said, “Wait until God takes you.” She finally refused her meds and was gone in a week. Her life was torture. No one deserves what you all are going through! “”Emerging a stronger person “ is bs. You are already strong enough and how much life do you yourself have left? You don’t need to be an emotional Mac truck to enjoy it!
(10)

It is hard but you are doing a great job. So many caregivers are going through this and every one of you are heroes and heroines. The world is a better place for people like you who take care of family members as they decline due to age or ill health or both.
(3)

I am so sorry .
We know what you are going through so you have us here to vent to at any time ( as well as your friend ). I wish you the best , keep on in that strength that you clearly have .
You can make it . You've been a good son, don't forget that and that you are only human . Some people abandon their elders and care about nothing but themselves . Not you and that's wonderful though it may not feel that way right now .
Everything ends eventually . This hell is "now " for you but it isn't forever. Keep that in mind . Don't feel guilt about wanting to feel alive and free. Someday you will have those feelings again .
(3)

I agree that you are in a difficult situation living with a mom with dementia (the tirades are because she "forgot" where she placed things) and paranoia (the constant accusations which are fueled by fear and anxiety). She also appears to be outspoken and demanding - which are hard to handle in a home situation 24/7.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but may I make some suggestions?

Mom could be evaluated by a psychiatrist that specializes in older people. He/She could prescribe medications that might calm her anxiety and make her easier to live with.

Talk with a counsellor about your situation with the goal of creating better ways of coping with mom's negative behavior. I am concerned that you keep retreating into more and more isolation instead of mom experiencing consequences for her negative behavior.

Start reaching out and create a network of loving, supportive people who nourish your soul. Caregiving is HARD - as you already know so well. I applaud that you are trying to provide a good life experience for your mother. You deserve the same.
(5)

Oh my gosh. I am there with you and all who responded. I’ve been waking up with a headache in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep. My neck is in a knot and sometimes I can’t turn my head. There’s a knot across my upper back. My eating has changed. Now with the cold weather I won’t be able to get out and walk which is my relief. As much as I love my aunt, I’m past the breaking point as my body is signaling to me. It’s scary because I don’t know what to do about it all. This site is a release valve. No one but us can understand. I am thankful for all of you.
(3)

Your love for your mother has caused you to put her life before your own. Your anger is the ember of life within you that is crying for help. Both of your lives need and deserve nourishment. This can only be accomplished with outside help. What resources have you looked into? It is critical that you continually seek solutions to this problem until you find something that works. I know you feel hopeless now but don't give up! Options are always available. Your poor life is suffering and needs your attention. Keep using this forum and questioning everything. You are on the right track!
(5)

"This is getting hard" is exactly what I say to myself and then think, "And it will probably get harder." Feeling frustrated, angry, guilty, resentful are part of many of my days now. I pray a lot for wisdom and guidance.

I don't want any regrets when mom is gone, and yet I feel that regardless of bringing her home to live with me and doing what I can to make her life better, I will feel regret that I could have had a better attitude.

Who knew that taking care of someone who took care of you could take such a toll.

Take walks, listen to your favorite music, get lost in a book, come here and vent...

God Bless you. You are not alone.
(4)

So sorry for you and your mom. I don't have any solution, but am thinking of you. (As I sit in my room for a few moments of peace and quiet) I could and should walk, but don't. Not sure how to get the energy to do so.
(1)

I know you are venting and that is fine and I am so sorry but here is my take. YOU are giving of yourself and your life and your peace and sanity. There comes a time when you have to draw the line - and this is when it does NOT matter who is causing the problem or WHY. You just have to realize it has to stop and you must do whatever needs to be done to put a stop to it before you are destroyed. (Been there, done that.) Don't be all sweet and nice and distracting. It won't work and in the meantime you are crying inside because of what she is doing to you. The only way (I will be 87 with a lifetime of experience in this stuff), you have to fight back and put them in your place. It won't last and they might not understand but what you are doing is preserving yourself and your own value and feelings - and you deserve that - you are stopping them for the moment. If this simply goes on and on, why on earth do people allow this? There comes a time when these people either need caretakers or they have to be removed from the presence of others. No human being on earth should take abuse from anyone, no matter what the reason - and they must do all in their power to stop it cold at once. I was a POA for 28 years to one person and l4 years to another person. YOU are doing the work, the favor, the kindness - they abuse you? NO WAY.
(2)

Dear Applewatch,
There are many good posts below but I like Taarna's the best. She said it all, get some outside help so you can start rebuilding your own life. Meet some old friends and get away to pursue an interest or hobby. Get outside for some green time. I have no idea what the finances are like but I could not manage without the help of my mom/dad/aunt's sitters. I do as much as I can ( which is a lot) from a distance and make sure their needs are met including coordinating other family member visits. I understand mom is in your home and you may one day have to consider moving her.
If you had a sitter could you work online from home?
Life IS disappointing when it does not go as planned but try to find some help for YOU! You deserve to be happy and have peace.
The best of luck. Everyone here cares about your feelings.
Jax.Fl.
(1)

You are isolated and don't have a plan for your future. I just got out of care-giving in the last year and went right into the pandemic, so I felt the same way. The pandemic is just an extension of my previous isolation and hopelessness. I can't close out that chapter because of conditions brought on by the pandemic. Believe me, sweets are not the answer. They talk about "pandemic weight", but there is also "caregiver weight". Your one friend is also isolated and feeling the boredom, fatigue, mental stress of uncertainty. I think you have to find a way to incorporate new things into your life to minimize the impact of your mother's remarks due to her cognitive issues. Are there courses you could take online to improve your skills and career prospects? Are there things you want to get rid of that you could sell? Do you have any dreams you could work toward? Yes, this will end but there may be more difficulties before you get to that ending and more decisions that need to be made to ensure that your mother is adequately cared for. In the meantime, check out the opportunities for respite care in your community. You may qualify for a free or low cost program.

Also know that none of us is perfect and forgive yourself for getting angry and feeling guilty. We all do. Just learn how to let it go.
(1)

Stay away from those sweets!! Lol. Set those boundaries like everyone recommends. You just have to find the right timing, recognize it, take a deep breath and stand your ground. See yourself with a future beyond this period and use your alone time to prepare for it.
(1)

Everyone is different I suppose. I have the opposite issue. When I am stressed I don’t eat. I am not a big eater to begin with.

My doctor warns me not to lose any weight. I don’t have excess fat so I can’t afford to lose weight.

So, it can go either way and neither one is good.

I have to force myself to eat nutritious meals where another person has to stop themselves from overeating.

Some people are overweight and struggle to lose weight. I have struggle to gain weight and hardly anyone empathizes with my situation.
(1)

Can I just say, be kind and take care of yourself? Call your local area agency on aging which all areas across our country have and explain you need to speak to someone about available services and caregiver support. It may be respite, it may be meals delivered...take advantage.
Although recently mocked by my only (and out of state) sibling, I am the only family my elder parents have, living under their roof, often cleaning and cooking, bill paying etc.
And I was really okay doing it. Although it could not have been predicted, and blood pressure can be a possible factor, a couple months ago I suffered a medical emergency: an aortic dissection which is often fatal. Just sharing this to point out that the ongoing stress we THINK we are handling fine, may be having unexpected tolls on our well-being, and that we need to take care of ourselves and have a clear plan about who makes decisions for US as well.
The feelings you are having toward your mom are normal and understandable. I have thoughts I am too embarrassed to share her in re to my mother's well-being. Many have said (she has dementia) she should be elsewhere, but her issues are not so horrible that I can justify doing that. The sibling, who remains both ignorant and clueless, thinks both of them should be put in assisted living, which would literally bring on the demise of my father who, at 103, literally thrives in our environment, taking care of the house and yard. He loves mowing the lawn,and that is his exercise! He loves the neighbors, talking to them, going for walks etc. Take good care....
(0)

This is a good place to vent - most here know what you're going through. It's also good that you have an "outside" friend to communicate with. If possible, try to at least maintain contact with other friends in your life - we have to avoid contact in person, but you can at least stay in touch. For those people, unless it is someone who has been through something like this AND wants to talk about it, try to stay away from talking about your difficulties with mom and being isolated. Perhaps make some future plans to get together, when it is safe to do so, starting simple like going for coffee and doughnuts or pizza and a drink.

As for the financial hit, assumption is you've had to give up your job to care for your mother. If her income is low enough, she might qualify for Medicaid. They often do pay for in-home care - not a lot, but ANY time to give you a break would be welcome! If you choose not to introduce anyone into the home to protect mom, they can pay family (aka you) instead. You just have to be sure to pay all taxes and claim the income. Medicare supposedly offers one week/year of respite care. Perhaps you could do some research while in retreat in your room. Every little bit helps!

Getting angry and/or feeling guilt - happens to the best of us! We are ALL, you included, only human. Dementia can really test us. The best you can do is recognize if/when your stress levels are rising and try to remove yourself from the situation before it boils over. Sometimes there is no warning, but when you have that warning, tension building, make excuses to get away, step outside, go to the bathroom, go to your room, whatever works! Outside you can run around the house a few times, to burn off that negative energy! Guilt should be reserved for those who knowingly do something wrong/illegal. Feeling a sense of relief, imagining your life after mom passes, that isn't wrong, it's normal to feel that way. Embrace it, and let it go.

You clearly know/understand this disease and what it does. So you understand why your mother does and says what she does. All too often they direct their vitriol at the person who provides the care. She really has no other outlet, so it gets dumped onto you. For the missing items, if you think you can locate them, just agree with her accusations. Tell her you borrowed it, and misplaced it. Tell her you will look for it, then try to change the subject or wander off to "look" for it.

As for the isolation - I do hear you. My isolation is now over 2 years, but was due mainly to financial difficulty. Mom doesn't live with me, but close enough that I visited often before the lock down. Just when my situation was resolving, along comes this virus! So, like you, my circumstances haven't changed. I was keeping and still keep outings to a bare minimum (mainly groceries and supplies for mom.) I can't visit my son and his family. My daughter works off-shift dispatch, so it's rare I get to see her. I can't really visit mom - tried their brief outdoor then indoor special visits, but between dementia, bad hearing, the masks and distancing, I'm not sure she even realized it was me! She knew who I was before the lockdown. She has no phone due to her hearing and doesn't do online/video, so....

Vent away here all you want. Come back - some may have useful suggestions for you. See if you can find resources to assist you with a little income or in-home care-givers and/or respite. Reach out to former friends, see if you can rekindle friendships (they may appreciate it too, since we're all in this isolation booth!) Avoid talking about your mother or situation (exception may be the one friend you chat with now, if it doesn't bother her.)

(also, ignore Lockett2166. Despite being POA, I don't think this person has done one minute of care for someone with dementia. this is based on posts that generally look like this one, and are also posted under Riley2166. this person hasn't got a clue and generally recommends garbage.)
(2)

A lot of us in the same boat. My husband is 93 and I am 88, taking care of him for several years but has gotten worse the last two years, which is to be expected. I now have someone every morning to bathe him, change all the pee soaked pads and linens and do the laundry.....also gives me a chance to go to the store by myself. I have told him to his face that he should not be alive....which is true....and he doesn't understand much of anything I say, so it doesn't phase him. But stupid of me anyway. A son told me to be kind....I try, but sometimes it is impossible and he has just become more demanding. All we can do is hang in and find what pleasures we can. Walking, music, reading when possible....talking to my sons who live elsewhere. I have trouble with friends as they seem to want to give advice that I do not need. Just have to keep thinking that this will be over soon, I hope.
(1)

Day at a time. After caring for my mom, and especially being locked down for 10 years, then MIL keeping us locked down 3 more years, I am now after 13 years locked down still too because of the Covid. I take it one day at a time and somehow most of the time think that things will change one day. I wonder why the long test? Take care of yourself and treat each day as though they were compartments, one at a time. I too have moments of doubt and guilt. It is normal for what we caregivers experience. Be good to yourself.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter