Im 79 years old with upcoming knee surgery ... maybe.

I would like it now while I may not have (as many hopefully) side effects and mental probs that I might have when I'm older.

I would like to let my husband know what kind of problems caregivers have experienced with loved ones who have had hip or knee surgery.

Hi Betsysue, it's good you get that done sooner than later. My mother never had hers done, & so had terrible pain from age 80-90. By then, she was too infirm to operate.
Just know that the phys therapy will make all the difference in ur recovery, (& it's painful to do the work at first). Choose ur rehab site carefully, that's where u likely get the PT.
You shouldn't do stairs when u first go home, so arrange your home accordingly. Hope all goes well 4u:)
Reply to anonymous828521

Betsysue, I don't know if the surgeon mentioned this, but you will experience "brain fog". For every hour you are under for surgery, that would equal one month of the brain fog. Thus, 2 hour surgery = 2 months of fog. Let hubby know about this so he doesn't panic.

My Dad, who was 90 at the time went to an orthopedic doctor to see if he could help as Dad was having bone on bone knee issue, thus painful to walk. Right away the doctor wanted to sign Dad up for surgery. Thank goodness Dad say "no" as later I heard it would have taken Dad a year to get back to normal due to his age.

Dad was looking for anything new medicine wise. This was before doctors started using a gel that can be injected into the knee to help with the pain. I realize every case is different.

Betsysue...Medicare covers PT on Medicare part B....so you need to have a supplimental policy to get the rest covered.
Reply to Katiekate

The biggest problem with my Dad when he had hip replacement was he just refused to do the PT. Refused to follow the therapist directions. Must have just given up and not willing to work through it. He never did recover....in a wheelchair the last couple years.

you just have to make up your mind that you WILL recover, and put your will to making that happen. The burden on your husband will not be long if you get up and walk and not let this become a permanent disability
Reply to Katiekate
anonymous828521 Sep 19, 2019
Absolutely true Katie:)
(0)
My mom had a knee replacement when she was in her early 70’s and a hip replacement when she was in her early 80’s.

On both occasions she refused to properly prepare the house with equipment the surgeons told her to put in place - grab bars, raised toilet set, etc. which left her children scrambling. She also refused to prehab or rehab. Wouldn’t do any of the stretches or exercises. None. She expected an instant, magic fix with NO WORK on her part. Then she became overly reliant on pain meds. It was a nightmare for me.

Finally - and this night sound condescending, sorry - but be sure you really, really need the surgery. My mothers hip surgeon told her she was boarder line but she insisted - rather than try the physical therapy he recommended. See Magic Fix.
Anyhoo - she wound up with one leg shorter than the other (they say this happens)!which further messed up her bad back.

In the end - she was worse off than if she had not had the surgery.
Reply to Rainmom
Betsysue2002 Sep 19, 2019
Thank you.

Ive seriously considered waiting but im lazy and probably wont get better at that and also think the pain is not going to get better either than it is and i’ll just be worse later so i want to get it over.

i’m so sorry your mom wouldnt let you help her get better.
(1)
My 76 yo mom just had a total knee replacement. She lives with me so I was her caregiver.

My biggest advice to YOU is: do your pre-hab! Get your muscles stronger so that your post-op rehab will be that much easier. My mother was a bit weak and her other knee should be replaced too so it was hard for her to get up, etc. because she basically didn't have a good leg to stand on. And after your surgery you must do as much PT as possible to get stronger quickly.

She ended up in a rehab facility for a week after 2 nights in the hospital so that she could get strong enough to get back in the house on her own.

Take your pain meds but don't overdo it. Take them to keep ahead of the pain but also try to back off from them as soon you are really able to do.

Good luck!
Reply to againx100
Betsysue2002 Sep 18, 2019
I walk about 30 mins every morning. I hope thats going to be enough. doc didnt say anything possibly because i asked for surgery myself because of concerns about surgery in my 80s ???
(0)
Good rehab so important here. There are so many gadgets that can help, even to give knee mobility exercises. Important that you have good rehab or PT consults as they are the magicians in all this. I hope Shane will weigh in as I think there is some experience there that will help. I think everyone is different in recovery. Age matters in how much we need to recover. Wishing you good luck and hope you will weigh in with what is working, what is not.

My mom is a nurse so she put services in place when she had knee surgery. She hired a bath aide to come in a couple times a week because she thought my sis and I would drop her and grab bars installed. She had a bedside commode and a pee pan for the bed if she couldnt move fast enough. She also had therapy come to the house daily the first two weeks (all private pay) until she felt secure enough to do out patient. You will be groggy and grumpy and slow so patience is necessary.
Reply to tacy022
Betsysue2002 Sep 18, 2019
I thought medicare would cover pt. I guess i need to find out.
(0)